Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal Labor for power generation  (Read 1085 times)

joaodosgrao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animal Labor for power generation
« on: May 18, 2018, 03:10:19 am »

Ok, so I have already suggested this before (althouth the topic was not deticated exclusively to it), but I find it would be pretty important and a great way so people wouldnt need to exploit certain ways of generating power for achieving objectives. Besides, it would be a great way of making use of some animals that come with the dorfs on embark.

My suggestion would be the implementation of a building that would use horses and other fierce animals to generate power through their movement, as an alternative to places with low to no wind and frozen water. I'm not a coder myself but I imagine it can't be too complex, doesn't require running fluids or wind, so it can be built underground, and would increase the value of having these animals.

https://imgur.com/HBEHXvY

ps: sorry I don't know how to add an image properly
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 03:11:54 am by joaodosgrao »

Su

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angel Island Zone
Re: Animal Labor for power generation
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 05:38:06 am »

I would absolutely love to see this idea implemented! consider it... a three by three structure you can assign up to four animals to and watch them carousel around the central post... I shall edit this reply later to provide a diagram of how I imagine it might look like in-game.

it would certainly give a purpose other than meat to the pack animals, as well as make for an interesting choice to make when considering how to power one's designs - do you use windmills, a simple source that is however at the mercies of the weather and the surface; watermills, that require a constant flow of that oh-so-treacherous bane of the dwarves, water; or do you prefer the use of animals (and even, perhaps, dwarves!), with a structure that can be hidden away beneath the earth but requires the inhabitants to be constantly fed and cared for?

Evonix

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring lovecraft antagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 01:20:42 pm »

Perhaps the animals would need shifts and would get swapped by someone with the animal handeling task.
Plus I'd like it to be possible if not practical due to their attention spans and low torque to use any tame animal, like cats or ducks, apparently the eggs from active birds taste better, guess we're gunna get the best tasting eggs.
Or use dwarves and use it as weight training, like pumps used to.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 01:23:58 pm by Evonix »
Has descended into madness

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 07:17:19 am »

Animal powered water wheels are common in every culture. I always wondered why there are querns and pumps operated by dwarves but no animal powered versions of them.

Don't know how difficult is to code a windmill that needs one or two animals in it to generate power.

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 09:24:18 am »

If you look at the old dev page, animal power was a planned feature (BLOAT350, MORE MECHANISMS). Whether it still is I couldn't tell you, the current dev page doesn't mention it mention it specifically, but it does mention nonspecific "other machines" listing rock grinders and fans as possibilities in the improved mechanics section, I assume animal power fits in here. I hope it happens, it would be nice to be able to have power in a fort with no wind and limited access to water.

TrippleFlipple

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 11:22:00 am »

I think it would need to offer a challenge when built. Maybe require a chain/rope per animal, a block and two mechanisms.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 12:04:39 pm »

You'd obviously want to have more.... exotic animals usable as well

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 05:50:01 pm »

Should the amount of power given differs between animals, for exemple elephants giving more draught power than dogs? And could dwarves and other sentients be used for this?
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."