Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "but it is Spring now." Is it? Fortress seem to start at random time.  (Read 1462 times)

Daniel0x00

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

After some testing it turned out a fortress can start even in late autumn.

I wonder whether:

1. It is a bug?
2. Dwarven caravan still has to arrive within a month after a start?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After some testing it turned out a fortress can start even in late autumn.

I wonder whether:

1. It is a bug?
2. Dwarven caravan still has to arrive within a month after a start?
The world is living. It continues as you play.
Each time you start a new fortress or adventurer two weeks of time pass. If you finished your last game in the autumn, it'll be Autumn (two weeks later) when you start your next.

It's a bug that the opening message hasn't been updated in years, yes.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile

Regarding caravans, I haven't had a world where dwarven caravan wouldn't come in early autumn (about two weeks after autumn starts, give or take a couple of days), or not at all. I mean all worlds in v0.4x.x. Similarly elves come about two weeks after springs start, and humans two weeks after summer starts.

Also sieges usually happen on the first day of early season, though not in early hours. Sometimes they are delayed to second day or so, but rarely. This may depend on how far my site is from the enemy sites.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Regarding caravans, I haven't had a world where dwarven caravan wouldn't come in early autumn (about two weeks after autumn starts, give or take a couple of days), or not at all. I mean all worlds in v0.4x.x. Similarly elves come about two weeks after springs start, and humans two weeks after summer starts.

Also sieges usually happen on the first day of early season, though not in early hours. Sometimes they are delayed to second day or so, but rarely. This may depend on how far my site is from the enemy sites.
Caravan seasons are fixed. Each entity has a tag defining which season they come in. Dwarf is Autumn, Elf is Spring, Human is summer.
That used to also dictate the season attacks came in, but that seems to have become a bit looser recently.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile

As of DF2014, fortress starts are no longer on 1st Granite. If you played before then, a new fortress advanced to the start of the next year (1st Granite of the next year) and a new adventure I believe advanced to the start of the next month.

These days, from world mode it looks at the date at which your world has reached, and advances 15 days in either adventure or fortress mode. As of the more recent versions, the caravans arrive at the start of a season rather than at the end of it.

If it's too late to get the autumn caravan you have to wait until the next year.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.