Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: [47.05] Lands of Duality - A Good/Evil Biome Revamp  (Read 56169 times)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: [44.11] Lands of Duality - A Good/Evil Biome Revamp
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2018, 02:33:06 pm »

Released a minor bugfix update - poison and dark nymphs had ice nails instead of normal ones.

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2018, 12:00:07 am »

Using the terms Seraphim, Cherub/Cherubim, and Ophanim, angles with fairly odd descriptions, seems like a weird choice if you're just going to make up a different look for them.
Let this be a lesson to us all: Immortality is only temporary. That's why its called immortality.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2018, 01:59:59 am »

I mean, it's rather normal for people to design creatures with a "common" name like Seraph but make them look much different to put their spin on it. I was moreso inspired by the original depictions in the Bible where angels were incredibly bizarre, rather than the more common "winged humanoid" look.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2018, 09:03:23 am »

Released a small bugfix update - some creatures were lacking major arteries in their hearts and/or throats.

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2018, 10:06:51 am »

I mean, it's rather normal for people to design creatures with a "common" name like Seraph but make them look much different to put their spin on it. I was moreso inspired by the original depictions in the Bible where angels were incredibly bizarre, rather than the more common "winged humanoid" look.
That's kind of what I meant.  They've got already established bizarre looks, and you gave them something else, and that just kind of seems odd to me.
Let this be a lesson to us all: Immortality is only temporary. That's why its called immortality.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2018, 10:13:01 am »

That's kind of what I meant.  They've got already established bizarre looks, and you gave them something else, and that just kind of seems odd to me.
Who cares what they look like?

You throw enough men at them and they'll die all the same.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2018, 10:24:31 am »

The fact their looks were established didn't stop others from depicting them as just winged humans. People taking established creatures and giving them different looks happens all the time (i.e Bayonetta has bizarre angels that don't match up with the original biblical depictions but also don't have the "humans with wings" look) so I don't really see the issue here - especially also since this isn't a "biblical creature pack".

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2018, 10:43:16 am »

honestly a biblical creatures pack sounds like it could be cool if you stuck closely to the depictions....

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2018, 03:38:51 pm »

It would be something I'd be willing to work on, but I admit I have such a massive backlog of projects I'm not gonna be writing it down on the list for now.

So, I uploaded a small update - partially to fix some good biome files that had the wrong header, and also to add innate discipline to the vast majority of creatures. Was playing adventure mode today and had a weird occurence where a Nature's Watcher punched off the skull of my skeleton companion and immediately collapsed to the ground in terror, ignoring me and my other companion as we started attacking it. Skeletons are quite spooky so I don't blame it for being terrified, but as the Watchers are skull-faced humanoid tree giants, they probably shouldn't be having breakdowns after killing outsiders.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: [44.11-12] Lands of Duality - A Good/Evil Biome Revamp
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2018, 05:37:21 am »

I'm on vacation for now so I don't have all of the updated raws I was working on before leaving - I see there's been a new version though - while the main downloads will remain unupdated for now, the raws-only download will still work with it - same goes for all of my other mods.

Once I'm back, I'll work on a few races for my main pack that would be part of the same setting as this mod and my cave mod - when I'm done with that I'll release a version that has all of my non-crossover races as well as the stuff from this and the cave pack together. I was also suggested to work on a wiki for my content, so I figure I'd work on that as well.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
Re: [44.12] Lands of Duality - A Good/Evil Biome Revamp
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2018, 06:34:26 am »

Minor update - fixed some errors in some of the creature descriptions and prefstrings, also changed the frequencies, so most of the creatures should now more consistently be appearing in their respective biomes. Updated the full packs to 44.12 as well.

Sumguy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2018, 01:10:11 pm »

Very cool. I do have an issue, though. I started up in a Joyous Wild freshwater swamp, it immediately started raining Joyous Ichor, and four of my dwarves turned useless due to horror or despair. It's Summer now, it's been raining Joyous Ichor on and off the whole time, and I still have barrels sitting in the open where I deconstructed my wagon. The horror and despair seems a little counter-intuitive.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2018, 01:27:26 pm »

Hm, if the thoughts are due to "being caught in freakish weather" thats not something I'd be able to change, since its hardcoded for any sort of strange weather (blood rain has the same effects in vanilla despite blood not having any contact syndromes) - I'll try adding more positive thoughts to it, see if it evens it out.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2018, 01:59:03 pm »

Well if we knew exactly how much the freakish weather and horror thoughts hit the stress meter, then the solution would just be to up the intensity of the good thought to slightly overpower those combined, wouldn't it?

EDIT: Reread on the weather types, I dunno if drowsiness should really be a thing, but rather a very minor negative thought (irritated/disturbed choking on strange pollen, annoyed by a cloud of spores, something to that effect.)

I dunno. Spearbreakers left me gun shy of drowsiness syndromes.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2018, 02:10:38 pm »

Horror and Despair are both "1 strength" emotions, where lower values are more impactful. So you'd need to add some heavy positive emotions to compensate.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8