Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: [47.05] Lands of Duality - A Good/Evil Biome Revamp  (Read 54843 times)

Urist mcOverusedJoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [47.05] Lands of Duality - A Good/Evil Biome Revamp
« Reply #90 on: August 16, 2021, 07:27:04 pm »

Entirely random question... *How* did you manage to create biome "themes"? As far as I can tell, biomes are hardcoded into the game... Am I misinterpreting the description of the mod? Does it not add different "themes" for good and evil biomes along with general expansion?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2021, 08:34:22 pm »

Entirely random question... *How* did you manage to create biome "themes"? As far as I can tell, biomes are hardcoded into the game... Am I misinterpreting the description of the mod? Does it not add different "themes" for good and evil biomes along with general expansion?

Basically it makes use of the hardcoded biomes to create, granted climate-based by necessity of how the game works, themed biomes.

For example, unlike say wormy tendril or glumprongs which can potentially be found in all non-frozen evil biomes, you aren't going to find stuff from the flesh-marshes (evil temperate wetlands) in the spore swamps (evil tropical wetlands.)

Should things spawn (which they aren't guaranteed to do unfortunately,) you're going to have two very different results, with meat moss and veins for grass, bone and meat-based trees and more body-horror-y creatures in one, and fungi-based monsters, giant mushrooms, and general rot-themed stuff in the other, with no overlap unless those biomes somehow overlap through sheer random coincidence.

However, as mentioned, these things aren't guaranteed to appear, which can happen even in the vanilla game where you roll a world where "good" or "evil" biomes are entirely mundane and boring with the only difference being some vermin and a few creatures added to the rotation of standard wildlife and depending on settings, some crappy weather to stress your dudes out.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #92 on: August 17, 2021, 08:28:19 am »

What Splint said - its the same as with my cavern mod, simply assigning grasses, shrubs, creatures and the like to only appear within a certain layer and subset. Its a bit more finicky with good/evil biomes though, as its a crapshoot whether a biome will have the appropriate plantlife and creatures or whether its just gonna be "normal biome but with blood rain".

Kyuuketsuki_23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2021, 01:42:30 am »

Greetings, everyone! I've arrived with questions, in case someone wouldn't mind answering them. The mod overall is a magnificent one, indeed, but for some reason, I cannot find dice in monasteries with it installed. Is that intentional?

I am inquiring because I want to play a vampire, hence the second question: is there a vampiric Adventure Mode–playable race? I've seen many strange names in the Intelligent Wilderness Creature menu, perhaps it'd be one of them?

And finally, is it normal that my Vengeful Magus adventurer required food and water?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2021, 02:11:54 pm »

Greetings, everyone! I've arrived with questions, in case someone wouldn't mind answering them. The mod overall is a magnificent one, indeed, but for some reason, I cannot find dice in monasteries with it installed. Is that intentional?

I am inquiring because I want to play a vampire, hence the second question: is there a vampiric Adventure Mode–playable race? I've seen many strange names in the Intelligent Wilderness Creature menu, perhaps it'd be one of them?

And finally, is it normal that my Vengeful Magus adventurer required food and water?
1. Dice are enabled on every civ from the addon for this, so it's probably just a crapshoot on finding them with any regularity.

2. Not in this pack, no.

3. They and a lot of creatures shouldn't require sustenance - its merely a temporary measure to prevent a crash issue that started with 47 where if a civ is composed of creatures that don't require sustenance the game will crash in worldgen if they also have fishing enabled and/or I think the merriment value set to positive. For safety's sake I disabled NO_EAT/NO_DRINK on every creature that had it.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 13, 2021, 10:28:18 pm »

Query: Does the mod affect the spread of alignments?  I installed & ran the custom worldgen that I normally use for good/evil, and was kicked back with the error that the game could not place enough civs due to lacking low/medium savagery areas.  I turned down both the good/evil tiles and the savagery variance, to no avail.  Problem is, running on normal region settings does not produce enough tiles to actually see what the mod has to offer.  Are there recommended settings to a cook a world with this mod?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #96 on: October 14, 2021, 05:13:39 am »

That isn't something affected by the raws - as for the settings, I personally go with high/very high savagery on medium or large worlds - generally using the default presets rather than fiddling with the settings too much.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 14, 2021, 09:58:56 am »

Interesting.  Might be my personal gen is too much of a patchwork when combined with Duality.  I'll have to see how far I can adjust the standard regions.

oliverosky95

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 23, 2021, 07:41:57 pm »

I don't know if this is the base game being broken or the mod, but I have yet to see any of the custom regional interactions of this mod (the new weather effects).

Can I get some insight on this?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2021, 05:45:49 am »

Could just be a crapshoot, especially if you're playing with the regular worldgen (procgenned ones crowding out the modded ones). Would recommend using advanced worldgen to reduce the amount of procgenned regional interactions - I know the modded ones definitely work.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2022, 11:23:33 am »

Hey all.  I've started cooking worlds again, and found a bug courtesy of PatrikLundell Biome Manipulator.  My patchwork world exceeded the available values for weather.  DFHack counts up to 35, and I have enough total interactions to reach 47, resulting in 'unknown values'.  The affected weather itself seems to work ingame, but I don't know what this means for long term stability of an embark with 'unknown' weather active.  He explains it more aptly here; http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164658.msg8346455#msg8346455

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2022, 03:03:07 pm »

Huh, that's interesting - I'm not really sure what I can do in regards to that though - I've no idea what PatrikLundell means in regards to updating DFhack structures to assign names, since I don't dabble with DFhack for modding.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2022, 06:27:46 pm »

Huh, that's interesting - I'm not really sure what I can do in regards to that though - I've no idea what PatrikLundell means in regards to updating DFhack structures to assign names, since I don't dabble with DFhack for modding.
Ah, I was not aware.  Sounds like this is a result of the total interactions which can be read by DFHack, rather than any particular weather.  Incidentally, one of the primary reasons I cranked up the patchwork settings is so I can grab more stuff from Lands Of Duality across the map :D  My current embark has ~10 mod critters spread out across the ocean, forest, and savanna.

cesarjunior233

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 29, 2022, 09:33:09 am »

Any chance of this being ported to the Premium edition?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #104 on: December 29, 2022, 10:45:55 am »

Any chance of this being ported to the Premium edition?
Doubtful, given the sheer amount of creatures I'd have to do graphics for - definitely not in the near future. I'll have a release for classic at some point.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8