Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Race Choice  (Read 8916 times)

fishboyliam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Race Choice
« on: May 18, 2018, 09:52:54 am »

I'm dabbling in adventure a bit, and I have to say, I see no reason NOT to choose a flying insect person (roach man, fly man, moth man...); or an amphibious person at least. Kobolds and goblins may be small, and thus easier to sneak as, but otherwise animal people seem superior in every way. Amphibious people have the ability to cross the sea with some perpetration (in theory, I have to test this at some point), flying animal people get a free getaway from melee fights (not to mention a great shooting point), and insect people get extra arms. Can someone explain why (other than roleplay reasons of course) you wouldn't play as an animal person?

(Note that amythest people would also be great, even if they aren't animals; they're immune to poisons and such! Very useful. Never had a chance to play one however.)

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
Re: Race Choice
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 12:42:32 pm »

Dwarves are the only race that can equip steel equipment. They also get martial trances which give you a bonus when fighting multiple enemies. So if you're a min-maxer you play as a dwarf. Or a elephant man or a spider man.
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 01:14:17 pm »

Dwarves are the only race that can equip steel equipment.
Cheetah men

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 04:58:09 pm »

I see no reason NOT to choose a flying insect person (roach man, fly man, moth man...); or an amphibious person at least. Kobolds and goblins may be small, and thus easier to sneak as, but otherwise animal people seem superior in every way.
Goblins are twice the size of all the creatures you listed. The problem with all those creatures is that they're small and therefore weak.

Amphibious people have the ability to cross the sea with some perpetration [...]
"Perpetration"? In any case, the problem with crossing the sea is getting randomly frozen solid. You're better off with the flying animal men.

Dwarves are the only race that can equip steel equipment.
Cheetah men
Cougar and hyena men can wear both dwarf and human equipment.

Also, you can use fort mode to craft steel armor for the other races.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 05:03:22 pm »

2 words: wearing armor

Aside from the two above mentioned races (who have no distinct advantage over humans or dwarves, except maybe innate swimming), the vast majority of animal people will be unable to use any of the armor they find around the world. You'd have to make it yourself in fort mode.

If you're playing an animal immigrant to a dwarf civ, there's a chance that maybe, maybe you could spawn your adventurer with some fitting steel armor. But aside from that, for any of the animal people with special abilities (being stronger/able to fly/breathe underwater), you'd have to start a fort and get steel industry going just to armor them.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

fishboyliam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 07:22:40 pm »

2 words: wearing armor

Aside from the two above mentioned races (who have no distinct advantage over humans or dwarves, except maybe innate swimming), the vast majority of animal people will be unable to use any of the armor they find around the world. You'd have to make it yourself in fort mode.

If you're playing an animal immigrant to a dwarf civ, there's a chance that maybe, maybe you could spawn your adventurer with some fitting steel armor. But aside from that, for any of the animal people with special abilities (being stronger/able to fly/breathe underwater), you'd have to start a fort and get steel industry going just to armor them.

That explains a lot. Huh. I always thought armor was just hard to come by.

Amphibious people have the ability to cross the sea with some perpetration [...]

"Perpetration"? In any case, the problem with crossing the sea is getting randomly frozen solid. You're better off with the flying animal men.
I meant preparation; it was early when I wrote the post. My bad!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 08:16:14 pm »

Also, a lot of the flying animal people have really low carrying capacity, even at high strength, making it difficult to wear armor for them anyway, or to use ranged weapons (ammo weight stacks up fast)
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

PauliusTheGnoll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 06:40:21 am »

Hyena men are nice because they fall into size category between dwarf and human and can wear armor of both, which means you can go to forts and get steel stuff.

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 08:25:06 am »

Yeah Hyena men are great. It’s ssd they don’t have martial trances going for them but that’s only really important when fighting bandits and night troll families
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 10:46:15 am »

Half of my adventurers recently are flying bird men. However, I prefer them more for scouting, not the actual heavy adventuring. Also, I vampirise them as quickly as feasible (though ultimately it's the fate of all my serious adventurers).

They are good with throwing as anyone else, and throwing is superior to ranged weapons anyway. Their speed and flying ability makes them good for clearing things like necro towers. They never will be tanks, but that's to be expected.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 01:19:03 pm »

My List From Best To Worst of all standard races:

1. Humans are all-arounders they have easy access to companions (though fame matters so they will only be able to get 2 maybe 3 at the start) from their meadhall. Since they usually start in a village there is always a lord in a village, and lords can hire you as a hearthperson and give you quests, which is good for direction and goal setting and role playing,  most armor they find will fit them (except really tiny armor from dwarven sites)

2. Dwarves are small so most armor and weapons you find wont fit them unless it is from a dwarven site and they move a little slower But they get martial trances and are "broader" (they are damage sponges basically) and their starting site (a fortress usually, always has a tavern and a trading hub), if they start in a hillocks they can go to the drinking mound and quickly get many companions (because drunks will join you regardless of fame)

3. Elves have a more powerful sense of smell then other races and i believe are also faster (press o for an odor readout, also look at the raws (their sense of smell is about 10x more) and wild animals wont attack them, but they get only wooden equipment

4. Goblins are slightly bigger then kobolds  but start closer to a demon)

5. Kobolds are tiny and pitiful with no real special abilities

I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 01:33:26 am »

Elves and goblins have max memory, meaning they won't forget revealed tiles until you leave the site. Goblins also don't need to eat or drink.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

duckman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 08:05:25 am »

1. Humans are all-arounders they have easy access to companions (though fame matters so they will only be able to get 2 maybe 3 at the start) from their meadhall. Since they usually start in a village there is always a lord in a village, and lords can hire you as a hearthperson and give you quests, which is good for direction and goal setting and role playing,  most armor they find will fit them (except really tiny armor from dwarven sites)

2. Dwarves are small so most armor and weapons you find wont fit them unless it is from a dwarven site and they move a little slower But they get martial trances and are "broader" (they are damage sponges basically) and their starting site (a fortress usually, always has a tavern and a trading hub), if they start in a hillocks they can go to the drinking mound and quickly get many companions (because drunks will join you regardless of fame)

3. Elves have a more powerful sense of smell then other races and i believe are also faster (press o for an odor readout, also look at the raws (their sense of smell is about 10x more) and wild animals wont attack them, but they get only wooden equipment

Why are your Goblins so small? They're supposed to be the same size as Dwarves and Elves.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 12:46:27 pm »

Unmodded? Something like a cougar or cheetah man that can equip armor.

I usually play with Adventurecraft installed, so I roll with tigermen who make their own gear out of the monsters their groups hunt.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 11:54:09 am »

Why are your Goblins so small? They're supposed to be the same size as Dwarves and Elves.

I would have to look at the raws, but yes, dwarves and goblins can wear the same size armor.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com
Pages: [1] 2 3