Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Race Choice  (Read 8922 times)

gnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Race Choice
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2018, 01:33:22 pm »

Insect people are made of glass - come apart too easily. I've been going Jaguarman because they are roughly the size of an adult human, but for a slightly more gratuitous but limited power fantasy I've been choosing Tigerman or Lionman. (As opposed to Rhinoman or Elephant, the overkill choice)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 01:35:11 pm by gnome »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2018, 03:56:54 pm »

Dwarves can wear Elven and goblin armor, and Dwarves have steel, so they have better armor than humans in general, though if you stick to human cities you won't find much fitting armor, so I think it is more an dis/advantage of humans than disadvantage of dwarves, if a dis/advantage at all.
Humans are bigger, than other main five, which is an unlisted advantage.
Dwarven forts don't always have taverns.
There is nothing preventing anyone else from recruiting drunks.
You can get human companions without starting in the city/hamlet.
While you are more likely to be able to start as a hearth person if human, anyone can do it if they can start in the civ, and anyone can become a hearth person if they did not start as one, although it is harder to do.
I would consider starting in a Dwarven fortress a disadvantage, not something good, considering how hard it is to get out.

In general, Untrustedlife is ascribing way too much with default starting positions, though he does rank them the same as I would.

I think it should be noted that elves and goblins cannot become necromancers.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2018, 12:32:31 am »

They can. But not in worldgen.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

adamkad1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2018, 08:51:47 am »

I like saltwater croc and elephant peoples, and sine i use LNP, and its got dfhack with advfort, armor is a non-issue

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2018, 12:43:50 pm »

Oh, and goblins don't need to eat or sleep.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

adamkad1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2018, 07:28:53 am »

Oh, and goblins don't need to eat or sleep.
Thats why they are so scrawny

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING][BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2018, 10:18:15 pm »

Spider people are fun but are also !!FUN!!
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2018, 09:08:36 pm »

Dwarves can wear Elven and goblin armor, and Dwarves have steel, so they have better armor than humans in general, though if you stick to human cities you won't find much fitting armor, so I think it is more an dis/advantage of humans than disadvantage of dwarves, if a dis/advantage at all.
Humans are bigger, than other main five, which is an unlisted advantage.
Dwarven forts don't always have taverns.
There is nothing preventing anyone else from recruiting drunks.
You can get human companions without starting in the city/hamlet.
While you are more likely to be able to start as a hearth person if human, anyone can do it if they can start in the civ, and anyone can become a hearth person if they did not start as one, although it is harder to do.
I would consider starting in a Dwarven fortress a disadvantage, not something good, considering how hard it is to get out.

In general, Untrustedlife is ascribing way too much with default starting positions, though he does rank them the same as I would.

Im well aware of the fact that anyone can recruit them but as a dwarf you start closer to them and as a human you start closer to them, (I said "they have easy access to companions"  not "only they can recruit them") and that is important. And most forts DO have taverns. Some even have libraries. Also not everything i listed is an adventage, i was just listing important things to note. Also, in practice its pretty hard to find useful elven armor. (and the sense of smell to be honest, isnt going to help you much, its just a fun little thing to note)

I play more adventure mode than fort mode and have for years and years.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 09:16:07 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2018, 09:10:52 pm »

I believe I have tried to do this in adventure mode before in previous versions and i was unable to become a necromancer (could be mistaken though)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 09:19:07 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2018, 10:01:59 pm »

I believe I have tried to do this in adventure mode before in previous versions and i was unable to become a necromancer (could be mistaken though)
I think I made an elven necromancer once. Could be a recent change.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2018, 08:50:50 am »

Necromancy shouldn’t be tied to whether the species is immortal already or not, but the reason they seek out the secrets of life and death in the first place is because they have an ambition of immortality, which elves and goblins don’t need/never have.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2018, 11:00:35 pm »

For the rando who wants to play archer in vanilla DF, choose dwarf or kobold.

Only these two get 10K LOW_LIGHT_VISION, which means at night or underground (darkness) they can see the full 25 tile distance that all races can see in daylight under good weather. 10K really opens up your shot options.

Odd since elves, long considered the bow race, can only be daylight shooters if they want the safety of the 21-25 tile pocket.

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING][BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2018, 10:25:43 am »

For the rando who wants to play archer in vanilla DF, choose dwarf or kobold.

Only these two get 10K LOW_LIGHT_VISION, which means at night or underground (darkness) they can see the full 25 tile distance that all races can see in daylight under good weather. 10K really opens up your shot options.

Odd since elves, long considered the bow race, can only be daylight shooters if they want the safety of the 21-25 tile pocket.

choose dwarf or kobold.

dwarf or kobold.

kobold.

OKAY TIME TO PLAY AS A KOBOLD IN AN ELF CIVILIZATION AND BE THE BEST ARCHER THERE
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race

Yerland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2018, 08:44:49 pm »

OKAY TIME TO PLAY AS A KOBOLD IN AN ELF CIVILIZATION AND BE THE BEST ARCHER THERE
Definitely doing this on my next play through. Been thinking about an archer build but didn't know about that night vision stuff.
Currently though I'm rocking a Polar bear man, finding any armor is a crapshoot(hunt goblin trolls?) But the size is awesome. Since I dont have any armor I've found I'm super durable, also you almost always win a wrestling and charges. I've gotten into the habit of grabbing and breaking the weapon shoulder of anyone who attacks me.

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2018, 03:15:17 pm »

Since the thread is up anyhow, I may as well mention that I retired an elf adventurer because he wasn't able to become a necromancer. Retired his ass in the tower, with the books in his hand--read them, no purple n in the status bar. I was pretty annoyed with myself.

Then I came across him later as a different adventurer and sure enough he's a necromancer.

I guess it's possible I was reading a book that talked about a book with the secrets of life and death in it, but I don't think that was the case. I understand from the wiki that books with the secrets in them always have certain words in the title, which makes them pretty unmistakable.
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.
Pages: 1 [2] 3