Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Naming Buildings  (Read 376 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Naming Buildings
« on: May 18, 2018, 12:50:09 pm »

This new feature didn't even get a mention in the release notes for .10, but I think it's fantastic. I build a lot of levers and bridges, so until now it has been tedious to make sure all the linkages are right. The notes feature helps some, but this is better. With specific names on levers and bridges, there's no more guessing on the linkage screen.

I'm curious about what other uses players have found for this new ability to name buildings.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Naming Buildings
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 01:06:35 pm »

I've yet to use the vanilla version (haven't resumed my fortress yet: waiting for stress to be balanced a little). However, the DFHack version has been used a lot, and I think it's a great thing it makes it into vanilla.
- I name stockpiles. That way I can see where hauling jobs go.
- Levers, of course.
- Zones. Gathering zones according to the tree they're used with, dump zones, for their purposes, and tavern/library/temple(s) for their purpose.
- Workshops sometimes, when used for specific purposes.

I think there are additional usages I'm just do automatically...

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 05:24:01 pm »

This new feature didn't even get a mention in the release notes for .10, but I think it's fantastic.
Actually, it did:
Other bug fixes/tweaks
  • Balanced stress effects
  • Allowed nicknaming of all buildings/zones/stockpiles
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 05:33:55 pm »

Not up and running on this version, yet, but I had in mind that it'd save me making my external notes regarding which deity is specifically worshippped in which micro-temple zone (not that I've yet got used to tavern/library/temple zones anyway, I'm still trying to work out how I use them in my forts).