Somewhere cold
- 1 (25%)
Somewhere good
- 0 (0%)
Somewhere evil
- 1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Shatterfate - A woodless/stoneless Succession Fort  (Read 19647 times)

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shatterfate - A woodless/stoneless Succession Fort
« on: May 18, 2018, 11:33:02 pm »

Urist Futile was a dwarf. He was one of the first of his kind: a legendary dwarven carpenter and mason who was enamored of the dwarf deity Atir Gorgetrade, Goddess of Jewels, Wealth, Trade, Earth and Volcanoes. So great was his love for her that he was overcome by a fey mood and created a glorious artifact: a magnificent rock salt earring that menaced with spikes of willow, which he named after his muse. Artifact in hand he traveled to the realm of the gods, overcoming a great many trials, and ultimately presented it with much pomp and ceremony to the goddess herself.

Atir was quite reasonably offended by his presuming to put her name on a useless piece of vendor trash, and so she cursed him and his descendants for all time: never again would they be capable of working with stone nor wood. Theirs would be a dynasty of failures, and the Futile name would forever live on as a synonym for pointless and ineffective toil.

Centuries later seven dwarves of the Futile clan, distant descendants of the cursed grand-master, set out into the scorching desert to clear their name once and for all. They would build a haven to which others of their clan could flock, a glorious glass, metal and ceramic fortress to restore the name Futile to it's former glory, and prove once and for all that not even a series of arbitrary challenge rules imposed on a succession game divine curse could keep dwarven ingenuity down.

I am proposing a 2 week/1 year succession game wherein we build absolutely everything out of tier 2 and 3 materials: glass, ceramic, metal, gems and soap. Wood and stone are forbidden, except in cases where we have no other options (beds, slabs).

Rules     

Rule 1. You may not build anything out of either wood or stone. No crafts, constructions, workshops, furnishings rooms or trade goods.

* We will make an exception for beds, waterwheels, axles and slabs, since there is no alternative material for these items.
* Charcoal qualifies as wood, and coal as stone. Both may only be used as fuel.

Rule 2. You may not smooth or engrave natural stone: to increase the value of a room before furnishings you must floor and wall it with higher tier material.

General rules
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Turn List

Quasar - Year 250 - Complete
Kametec Housen - Year 251 -
Moonstone Flower
fishboyliam
GPeter

Starting Dwarves

Founders
'Faker Fangirl' - Glassmaker
'Amanita' (Moonstone_Flower) - Metalsmith
'Kametec Housen' - Potter
'Imic' - Furnace Operator/Bookkeeper
'Quasar' - Farmer/Speardwarf
Undwarfed Minkot - Weapon/Armoursmith
Undwarfed Solon - Brewer/Broker

Migrants
Species Unknown - Axedwarf/Militia commander
fishboyliam - Fisherdwarf, Male Undwarfed
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 06:14:22 pm by QuQuasar »

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interest Check - A woodless & stoneless succession fort
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 02:15:41 am »

I'm in! A turn for me, please. I'd also like to be dorfed as someone who creates bricks. That is.. Potter? Edit: Male, please, if possible
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 09:55:40 am by Kametec_Housen »

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 07:40:21 am »

Dorf me in as a glassmaker. Objective in life: To kill a legendary beast with a glass trap component.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 08:41:36 am »

Blast, glassmaker got called.  Dwarf me as a female metalworker(the small item type) and/or blacksmith(the furniture-crafting type), please!  Named "Amanita".
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shatterfate - A woodless/stoneless Succession Fort
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 09:34:00 pm »

"Two weeks on th' road, but we're here at last. Imic mate, ya got the equipment list?"

"Aye but, are ye' sure this is the place? It feels like midsummer 'ere but it's still spring. I dread to think how hot it's gonna get when summer arrives."

"Bloody oath mate, that's half the appeal. Just imagine what we could build here: a great glass palace shining in the sun, furnished with porcelain and paved with gold! It'll take some hard yakka, but glass an' metal are cold, right? It'll be like an esky inside once we're set up."

"Mm... if ye' say so, Quasar."

"No worries, mate. What's the worst that could happen?"

"So... that equipment list, mate?"

"Oh right, sorry. Here you go..."

"You lil' ripper."

"Arright, what've we got here. Thanks to that bastard curse, it's super important that we brought the right stuff. Got anvil, coal, cassiterite and tetrahedrite fer bronze... yup. Wait, why'd ya bring so much milk, ya drongo?"

"Oh, aye, the milk. It's not that much, but orderin' the way I did it meant the idiots had to barrel it up for us. It's basically free barrels."

"Well fuck me sideways Imic. You didn't tell me you were a fuckin' genius."

"Uuuh... thanks?"

"Arright, enough chattin'. Let's get ta' work! The faster we get set up, the faster ol' Solon can start brewin' an' we can get proper pissed."

Strewth, those alligators are people! An' I think those sponges are too. I'm learnin' all sorts a' shit out here!

Rack off ya' bastards, we're workin' here!

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 07:26:30 pm by QuQuasar »

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 02:09:16 am »

It's been a season now an' the place is startin' to heat up. Luckily for us, the underground is mostly built and we're transferrin' our swag down there from the temporary campsite we set up on the surface.

Deadset, not bein' able to make stuff outa wood or stone thanks to the goddesses curse is a pain, but we're copin'. Nobody is particularly happy 'bout sleepin an' eatin' in the dirt, but we always knew this was gonna be a struggle, an' we're not gonna let anyone call the Futile clan a pile o' bludgers. Faker Fangirl and Amanita have been workin' overtime gettin' some bronze tables and glass doors set up, and Kametec has been cranking out earthernware bricks for construction purposes.

Oh fuckin' hell. Just what we don't need, more dwarves to house. Still, I suppose it's a good thing. Means word is spreading that the Futile clan is makin' a bloody comeback.

Besides, we could do a worse than a legendary metal crafter (F) and a legendary bonecarver (M), plus three bogans and a pile o' pets.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 02:42:55 am »

Name the Bookkeeper Imic, if ye could.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 03:20:58 am »

I'd love to be dorfed as a military dorf.
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 12:44:07 pm »

I like your writing style, QuQuasar.  It has a fun and "rolling" feel to it.  It is also diverse enough with the word choices to keep interest going, something that still gives me trouble at times.  I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this fort as it develops!  Actually, sod it, sign me up for a turn, if y' would.
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 03:57:47 am »

Oi Thob mate, you'se a bonecarver right? I'm thinkin' we murder one of the horses and maybe that migrants pet donkey and you whip up some trinkets for us to trade to the supply caravan. An' we can have the meat fer brekky.

"Good on ya. Wait, what was that Kametec said? Awww strewth, are we outta coal already?"

"Thank the gods! This place is hot enough without you turning it into an oven by runnin' the forges all day."

"Yeah! What're you tryin' to kill us? It's midsummer, man! We need a break!"

"Yeah!"

"... you lazy pieces of piss. Are ya tryin' to make me believe the shit people say about Futile dwarves? That we're worthless, that we can't achieve anything on our own, that we gotta bludge offa the hard work of all those goddamn "useful" masons and carpenters and engravers back in the mountainhomes just 'cos we can't work stone an' wood? You want ta' prove them right?! WELL?! DO YA?!"

[silence]

"I didn't think so. Us blokes an' sheilas... we're better than that, y'hear? We're better than them. We're Futile dwarves, and fair dinkum, we'll build a better fortress than any o' their dunnyholes. But to do that, we need glass! Bricks! Metal! And a lot of it! So that's why Imic's gonna start burning some charcoal. And Amanita, you're going prospecting for coal. An' we're gonna burn everythin' we find until you galah's sweat the laziness right out of ya!"

[groans]

"Shut it! I don't wanna hear it. Now get ta work, ya dags!"

Autumn's here, and things are finally coolin' down a bit. Thank Armok: maybe the whining will stop now. Sure enough, that means a booze bus and an' outpost liason from the Mountainhomes. We don't need 'em, but I won't miss the opportunity to rip 'em off for the glory of the Futile clan.

The export agreement is nothing special. I bet the sadistic mongrels put that bit about 'rock toys' in there just to mock us. Right bunch of larrikins, they think they are. Fuck 'em, fuck the lot of 'em. Just 'cos they can work rock without a divine curse gettin' in the way they think they're superior. We'll show them. We'll show them all.

Oh fuck me sideways. More of these pricks.

Two legendary stonecrafters of the futile clan? ARE YOU DRONGOS FUCKING KIDDING ME?! You chunder-covered cane-toad stiffies think an overseer of the Futile clan's gonna buy that shit? Do ya?

No, I don't care what your papers say, you'll haul and you'll like it. Assholes.

The rest of these dags ain't much better. Another legendary bonecarver, so fuckin' useful, just what we needed. I suppose the novice blacksmith and weaponsmith at least show a bit o' promise, an' I do like the old axedwarf Sigun. Calls herself "Species Unknown". I guess at 142 years she can call herself whatever she wants.

I'm gonna make her militia commander: I'm rooted trying to do it myself. I mean... okay, fair dinkum, I'm literally the only member of the militia and I don't actually do anything, but it still counts as two jobs! It's tirin' lugging this bronze spear around. Species Unknown can do it.

"Welp, we're out of horse meat. Oi, Species Unknown: can ya go and hunt us up some bush tucker? Something tasty, right?"

"Okay, um... no offense, on account o' that bein' a bloody big axe yer holdin', but... I ain't eatin' that. I mean, what were ya thinkin'? Do you really think Sodel will willingly cook that into a-"

"... no. Sodel. No. Fuck off mate, I'm not havin' that for tea. Nobody's havin' that for tea. And no, we're not gonna be fooled by you callin' it a "Horse Cheese Roast" either, ya sicko. I can't believe you'd try to feed- huh? Yeah, sounds like someone yelling outside, so what? Don't try and change the subject when I'm chewing you ou- wait, what are they yelling... ?"

"Demon Llama! DEMON LLAMA!!"

"... demon llama... ?"

"DEMON LLAMA!!!"

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 04:44:58 am »

Sweet. I am a louse slaying machine. :P

I have noticed that in every playthrough I'm dorfed in I wind up a female. At least the type changes. Spear, hammer, now axe. :D did I bring a weapon with me? I would like to get my profession changed to Axecutioner and made sure to have an axe equipped. If I die to werellama, then let my spirit take over another dorf. Muwahahaha. (If I have armor, I should be safe)

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow

fishboyliam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 12:17:24 pm »

I'd like to sign up for a turn if possible, seems like a fun challenge! Mind dorfing me as a male fisher?

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 02:32:02 am »

I'd like to sign up for a turn if possible, seems like a fun challenge! Mind dorfing me as a male fisher?
Sorry, both of our fisherdwarves are women. And one's a cook now. And the others training to become a thresher because I don't have any safe fishing spots yet.

Let me know if you want anyone else.

For now: Dwarf Bio's!

Spoiler: "Amanita" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "Species Unknown" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "Quasar" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "Kametec Housen" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "Faker Fangirl" (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: "Imic" (click to show/hide)

OOC: A brief look behind the scenes at the flurry of micromanagement and planning that accommpanies an early werebeast arrival in one of my forts:

Okay, it's too close for half measures. Cog's closest to the entrance lever, turn off all his non-lever pulling labors, and turn off lever pulling on everyone else. Make a burrow for the fort interior and activate it: Species Unknown and Morul should be able to make it inside before the entrance closes. Delete the pasture, maybe a few of the grazing animals will wander inside to the meeting area's before the gate closes. Any that don't are a lost cause: we'll butcher the meat when it transforms back. Just in case it gets inside we'll also create and activate two civilian squads: they can arm themselves with whatever weapons we have lying about and in the worst case scenario we can swarm the werebeast. Exclude the dwarfs we want to come inside: their best chance will be to flee, not charge. Okay, I think that's all I can do. Unpause...

... now.

"COG, MATE! CLOSE THE GATE! CLOSE THE BLOODY GATE!"

"I'm busy hauling. Get someone else to do it."

"AAAARGH! I DON'T WANNA DIE! I DON'T WANNA DIE TO A LLAMA!"

"Everyone's in. Door's closed. We're safe."

"... wait, what?"

"It got distracted killing a boar. Species Unknown flipped the lever. A horse and a goat wandered in so they're safe too."

"Huh. Bloody oath, that was anticlimactic."

"If you want we could still form up and charge it. Try and save the animals?"

"Nah mate, she'll be right. We can buy new animals. Strewth, it's really tearin' that horse apart, isn't it?"

"Yup. Wait... did... did the llama monster just turn into a snake monster?"

"Yeah mate."

"Is that... better?"

"Looks like it's shootin' through, so yeah, I think it is. We're in the clear. Someone open the gate! An' give Cog a kickin' for me, will ya?"

"Dammit Solon, what do you mean you can't butcher it? I was looking forward to eatin' that horse."

"It's covered in werellama saliva! I swear, if it weren't for all the bite wounds I'd assume the damn thing'd spat the horse to death. Do you want an outbreak on your hands?"

"That's not how the curse works, mate! It's transmitted via bite- oh. Oh, okay. I see what you mean now. Alright. Fair shake, mate. We'll dump 'em."

OOC: Okay so... I can't butcher any of the werebeasts kills, nor a weasel one of the hunters took down before I turned off his Ambushing labor. They just cancel the "butcher a dead animal" task even though the stockpile is right beside the butchery and not linked to anything.

Definately seems to be a bug, seeing as how we were able to butcher the giant louse just fine. I wonder if it's got anything to do with the LNP/DFHack deleting the 'deceased' record of these creatures every time I start up the game? I shall have to do an experiment at some point.

Good on ya, Amanita. Her prospecting in the three sedimentary layers we have access to has been limited by the extents of the aquifer, but she has so far managed to uncover a large vein of lignite and a smaller one of bitumous coal, along with the biggest clump of magnetite I've ever seen. Fair dinkum, we could outfit an entire militia just from this one vein.

Unfortunately, that means we're gonna need to keep forgin'. It's winter, so at least the complaints from these bludgers about the heat aren't so bad right now, but our coal is a limited resource. Without being able to rely on stone, we'll need to go to magma or bring it up to the surface if we want to sustain our industry for long.

That aint gonna be my job, though. I have a different plan.

That werellama made me realise just how defenseless we really are. So, until the end of the year, we're all going to train our weapon skills. There's no point in arming ourselves with weapons we can't use, and if any monsters get past the gate, the dwarves of the Futile clan will make them regret it.

A fortnight later...

Well fuck me sideways this was a dumb idea. None of these idiot's are getting anywhere with their training and the food we left in the kitchen is startin' ta' rot. Let's try a different tack... see those ostriches out there? We're gonna kill 'em. CHARGE!

Good on ya', Thob!

Seriously, Oddom?

Ostritch fer tucker.

OOC: No problem butchering those. Weird.

Well, the year comes to an end at long last. I'm happy with the progress we have made. The Futile clan is back in business, and- wait, what's that yelling?

"Demon Panda! DEMON PANDAAA!!!"

"Aaand the chunderfuck's practically already inside. Fuck me sideways..."

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 04:00:03 am by QuQuasar »

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 04:21:16 am »

If I have armor, assemble the squad I'm in charge of and CHARRRRGE! Let's kick the panda's ass. CHEW ON THIS YOU BLACK, WHITE, AND ASIAN BITCH!

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 06:25:33 am »

If I have armor, assemble the squad I'm in charge of and CHARRRRGE! Let's kick the panda's ass. CHEW ON THIS YOU BLACK, WHITE, AND ASIAN BITCH!
You do have armour! However, your axe skills aren't at all significant, and you don't have a squad to support you. You are our only military dwarf. I... do not give you good odds against a werebeast. And this one's a panda. That's a type of bear!*

* not actually a bear.

No, sorry. I'm going to use my last hour as overseer to save your life. I'll let Kametec decide if he truly wants to send a single elderly lady out to fight a werepanda.

The bronze trapdoor closes with a final loud clang on the arriving Spring as the surface turns into a pandery meat grinder and the blood and gore of our grazing animals stains the sand.

Welcome to Shatterfate! Hope ya' like horse viscera!

Ripper. We actually survived a year out here. Piece o' piss for proper Futile dwarves like us: ya might be a pile o' ugly larrikins, bu I reckon ya got what it takes to make this place a fuckin' beaut. Who needs stone an' wood when you got Futile dwarves, am I right?

I'll be raisin' a cold one tonight to the lot of ya'. Yer me mates! Yer me best mates, an' I'm stoked ta be out here with the lot of ya! I may have had a little too much to drink.

Kametec, you're in charge now. Rack off an' do whatever ya' want, ya' drongo, I'm stuffed. Just do me a favor an' don't let the werepanda in.

No, seriously, that fuckers a right mongrel. You should see the shit he did to our animals. It was awful, I... oh strewth I'm picturin' it now. Awww strewth. I... I gotta go chunder in the corner somewhere... be right back...

SAVE FILE IS HERE: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13776

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 07:31:24 pm by QuQuasar »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11