Dwarf Fortress > DF Community Games & Stories

Shatterfate - A woodless/stoneless Succession Fort

(1/31) > >>

QuQuasar:
Urist Futile was a dwarf. He was one of the first of his kind: a legendary dwarven carpenter and mason who was enamored of the dwarf deity Atir Gorgetrade, Goddess of Jewels, Wealth, Trade, Earth and Volcanoes. So great was his love for her that he was overcome by a fey mood and created a glorious artifact: a magnificent rock salt earring that menaced with spikes of willow, which he named after his muse. Artifact in hand he traveled to the realm of the gods, overcoming a great many trials, and ultimately presented it with much pomp and ceremony to the goddess herself.

Atir was quite reasonably offended by his presuming to put her name on a useless piece of vendor trash, and so she cursed him and his descendants for all time: never again would they be capable of working with stone nor wood. Theirs would be a dynasty of failures, and the Futile name would forever live on as a synonym for pointless and ineffective toil.

Centuries later seven dwarves of the Futile clan, distant descendants of the cursed grand-master, set out into the scorching desert to clear their name once and for all. They would build a haven to which others of their clan could flock, a glorious glass, metal and ceramic fortress to restore the name Futile to it's former glory, and prove once and for all that not even a series of arbitrary challenge rules imposed on a succession game divine curse could keep dwarven ingenuity down.

I am proposing a 2 week/1 year succession game wherein we build absolutely everything out of tier 2 and 3 materials: glass, ceramic, metal, gems and soap. Wood and stone are forbidden, except in cases where we have no other options (beds, slabs).

Rules     

Rule 1. You may not build anything out of either wood or stone. No crafts, constructions, workshops, furnishings rooms or trade goods.

* We will make an exception for beds, waterwheels, axles and slabs, since there is no alternative material for these items.
* Charcoal qualifies as wood, and coal as stone. Both may only be used as fuel.

Rule 2. You may not smooth or engrave natural stone: to increase the value of a room before furnishings you must floor and wall it with higher tier material.

General rules
Spoiler (click to show/hide)Turns
    - Duration: 1 year or 2 weeks, whichever comes first.
    - Turns will be skipped if you fail to respond or stop updating.
    - Extensions past the 2-week point will be granted if you've been putting a lot of work into high-quality updates.
Graphics
    - You can freely use graphics sets, but for convenience's sake the save should always be converted back to ASCII when passing turns.
Exploits
    - Exploits should be avoided, but you may use your own judgement on what is and is not an exploit.
    - Steer away from anything that is noticably unbalanced (eg. danger rooms) or negates an aspect of the challenge (eg. infinite metal).
Editing the RAWs/Using DFHack
    - Using utilities to simplify the game for performance or recover FPS is fine. Anything the LazyNewbPack does by default is fine. Simple quality-of-life features like "digv" are fine.
    - Anything that involves changing dwarf stats or killing specific targets is cheating and thus completely unacceptable. Same goes for fastdwarf, reveal-all, etc.
    - Everything else is a grey area. Check with me before changing the raws.
Savescumming
    - Savescumming is to be avoided. It should only be used as a last resort.
Turn List

Quasar - Year 250 - Complete
Kametec Housen - Year 251 -
Moonstone Flower
fishboyliam
GPeter

Starting Dwarves

Founders
'Faker Fangirl' - Glassmaker
'Amanita' (Moonstone_Flower) - Metalsmith
'Kametec Housen' - Potter
'Imic' - Furnace Operator/Bookkeeper
'Quasar' - Farmer/Speardwarf
Undwarfed Minkot - Weapon/Armoursmith
Undwarfed Solon - Brewer/Broker

Migrants
Species Unknown - Axedwarf/Militia commander
fishboyliam - Fisherdwarf, Male Undwarfed

Kametec_Housen:
I'm in! A turn for me, please. I'd also like to be dorfed as someone who creates bricks. That is.. Potter? Edit: Male, please, if possible

FakerFangirl:
Dorf me in as a glassmaker. Objective in life: To kill a legendary beast with a glass trap component.

Moonstone_Flower:
Blast, glassmaker got called.  Dwarf me as a female metalworker(the small item type) and/or blacksmith(the furniture-crafting type), please!  Named "Amanita".

QuQuasar:

"Two weeks on th' road, but we're here at last. Imic mate, ya got the equipment list?"

"Aye but, are ye' sure this is the place? It feels like midsummer 'ere but it's still spring. I dread to think how hot it's gonna get when summer arrives."

"Bloody oath mate, that's half the appeal. Just imagine what we could build here: a great glass palace shining in the sun, furnished with porcelain and paved with gold! It'll take some hard yakka, but glass an' metal are cold, right? It'll be like an esky inside once we're set up."

"Mm... if ye' say so, Quasar."

"No worries, mate. What's the worst that could happen?"

"So... that equipment list, mate?"

"Oh right, sorry. Here you go..."

"You lil' ripper."

"Arright, what've we got here. Thanks to that bastard curse, it's super important that we brought the right stuff. Got anvil, coal, cassiterite and tetrahedrite fer bronze... yup. Wait, why'd ya bring so much milk, ya drongo?"

"Oh, aye, the milk. It's not that much, but orderin' the way I did it meant the idiots had to barrel it up for us. It's basically free barrels."

"Well fuck me sideways Imic. You didn't tell me you were a fuckin' genius."

"Uuuh... thanks?"

"Arright, enough chattin'. Let's get ta' work! The faster we get set up, the faster ol' Solon can start brewin' an' we can get proper pissed."

Strewth, those alligators are people! An' I think those sponges are too. I'm learnin' all sorts a' shit out here!

Rack off ya' bastards, we're workin' here!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version