Somewhere cold
- 1 (25%)
Somewhere good
- 0 (0%)
Somewhere evil
- 1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Shatterfate - A woodless/stoneless Succession Fort  (Read 19833 times)

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shatterfate - A woodless/stoneless Succession Fort
« Reply #120 on: September 18, 2018, 11:07:35 pm »

Quasar's focus was absolute. In front of him floated the pale green quern he'd spent the last month working tirelessly on. On some level he was aware that there was still a world around him, but there might as well not have been. It was all-but finished. Just a few more cuts...

Leaning forward with a chisel in his hands, a tool he'd never used before in his life, he placed it to the querns surface and expertly chipped off the final protrusions. Every cut came out perfectly as he worked: there wouldn't be any need to sand or finish any of the devices mechanisms. It would never need to be oiled or it's parts replaced. This wasn't masterwork quality craftsmanship: this was a level far beyond that.

And then it was done. Quasar felt his focus begin expanding. The noise, heat and bustle of Shatterfate gradualy began intruding on his mind once again. The comforting darkness slowly slipped away.

But it wasn't quite gone yet, and as the Strange Mood slipped awway, in that moment between absolute focus and normal worldly awareness, he realised someone was watching over his shoulder.

"Well, at least it's useful..." they said in a dismissive tone.

"It's more than useful, ya' wanker!" Quasar exclaimed indignantly as the world once again rushed into his mind. "It's a bloody masterp..."

Quasar stopped talking. There's was nobody standing behind him. The closest dwarves were meters away and only now looking in his direction. But he could have sworn he'd heard...

Oh well. It didn't matter. His masterpiece was sitting before him, a pale green tribute to Futile dwarven labour. The quern seemed to glow slightly in the evening light, proof that even the will of the divine couldn't prevent the Strange Moods of dwarven destiny. What dwarf could help but be encouraged that such an artifact would be the first to be made in Shatterfate?

That just left two things to do. He stood back and declared, loudly enough for all the nearby dwarves to hear:

"I name this beaut' quern 'Tizotdoren Rushrulastel', and claim it as a family heirloom! Hear that ya drongo's? Hands off!"

Ripper. Now to dump it in the stockpile, go get plastered and brag about it to everyone who'll listen.

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 20, 2018, 04:53:40 am »

just about had it with you bloody wankers

Amanita set the last block of nickel into place and sealed it, finishing the inner eastern wall, before opening the missive.  'There's been a lot of settling in the surrounding area.  I do wonder what's going on with that.'  "Well, cheeky bastards or not, we're going to show this lot just what we can bloody do when we have a mind to do it.  The second floor is accessible, let's get those bricks and floor it in- damn it, Kametec, where are the bricks!"

"Sod off!  It is already a bleedin' furnace in here without the kiln running all day!"  """Yeah!"""

"Kametec, there's something you need to know, mate.  Remember the daemon llama?  Do you wanna be cooled-off an'dead, or 'd you rather sweat for a couple weeks and live?  'cause, mate, you're gonna get us all the former if you don't make those bloody bricks.  Now go back up there and get us a good batch o' bricks so we can keep working on the walls to save our ar- 'Giz?  Oi, mate, you alright?  That's a creepy look you've got there..."

"Hillocks, Bellsbored, half a day southeast, future prosperity, wankers, wankers, wankers.  Can someone give me some actual good news?"

"That is not good news.  That is stupid news."  *fumble fumble crack rip*  "Oilywinds, day south, thriving *snort* economy, you cheeky pricks.  No more coal?!  Someone bring me some good news, dammit!"

"That's it.  I give up.  Screw you lot, screw every last one of you bloody wankers."

- - - - -

(Will update this post as I finish winter)
(Playing while deprived of proper sleep is going to be fun :P)

Alright, turn's over.  Save incoming shortly.  Some important points:
- I did *not* manage to get the drawbridges linked up yet, you're probably not going to be able to close the gates in time.
- We are effectively out of pots/barrels.
- Kametec's making porcelain bricks instead of earthenware bricks, and I've no idea how to change that without annoying micro-management of stockpiles and stockpile links.
- The first z-level of the outer walls is complete, save for the aforementioned failure to link the gates.  Making the second out of clear glass would be bloody brilliant, but do whatever you think.  Silver might be nice.  Gold would be hilarious, and we've plenty of the stuff.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 03:24:05 am by Moonstone_Flower »
Grand Master Depressive
Hate Javascript?  Use this for image uploading.
I am a delicate flower!
...of lewdness and lesbianism
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 23, 2018, 03:27:15 am »

Save here:  Linky!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 09:14:10 pm by Moonstone_Flower »
Grand Master Depressive
I am a delicate flower!
Sadly, the head doctor MoonstoneFlower became depressed.  I am not sure if she will be able to recover.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 23, 2018, 08:25:40 am »

In regards to Kamatec: Alt-A gui/automaterial (+ workflow if desired) can change what material you use for input.

Making the second level out of clear glass windows or grates would be unclimbable, and could be seen through. Grates versus windows is a question for archery forces, though. On that note, gate without mechanism is still a chokepoint - how's the military?

How do you fail a crafts possession, anyway? Not enough llama wool? No raw crystal glass? Shells?

Moonstone_Flower

• Bay Watcher
  • [FLIPPED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 24, 2018, 06:45:22 pm »

In regards to Kamatec: Alt-A gui/automaterial (+ workflow if desired) can change what material you use for input.

Well damn.  Unfortunately, I didn't figure out what was going on until  the end of my turn when I decided to watch the number of porcelain bricks.

Making the second level out of clear glass windows or grates would be unclimbable, and could be seen through. Grates versus windows is a question for archery forces, though. On that note, gate without mechanism is still a chokepoint - how's the military?

I was actually thinking walls and then fortifications and an overhang on the third level.  It would probably work just fine to do that on the second level instead though.

I have no idea.  Last I knew, the previous overseer had set exactly one dwarf in the militia to be training at a time.  I then proceeded to forget the militia entirely.

How do you fail a crafts possession, anyway? Not enough llama wool? No raw crystal glass? Shells?

Well, you see, the thing is this:  I completely forgot about them after watching them gather a few things.

Overall, I blame sleep deprivation.

P.S.  I set restricted traffic in the pasture area on the western half, to allow trees to grow.  There are a crapton of saplings there.  There's a single-tile path next to the walls with a normal traffic designation.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 06:55:35 pm by Moonstone_Flower »
Grand Master Depressive
I am a delicate flower!

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 24, 2018, 08:37:05 pm »

Shouldn't porcelain count as not allowed?
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 24, 2018, 09:27:11 pm »

Not sure why it would, since it is a clay job. Could always forbid kaolinite too.

Tbh 1z wall is still useful, as long as enemies aren't provoked into climbing they won't scale it on their own.

Yeah sleep is a cursed blessing on all of mankind.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 10, 2018, 10:52:34 pm »

Am officially opening this thread to anyone who wants to grab the save. First in, first served!

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 11, 2018, 06:34:55 am »

Am officially opening this thread to anyone who wants to grab the save. First in, first served!

If you allow it, I could grab the save and have some reports by tonight or maybe tomorrow... I just can't guarantee you I can finish my turn on the weekend, as I'm gonna spend the weekend on a mountain trip, but at least today I can get a beefy update. And finish it by the next week.
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 11, 2018, 06:45:24 am »

I support this claim.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 15, 2018, 06:09:37 am »

I believe I owe you guys some apologies, but we had to anticipate the mountain trip. I'm working right now but I already started playing. Once I get home, I'll continue and try to get a report by the week.
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 15, 2018, 10:14:28 am »

Posting to watch.

To whomever is the next Overseer, I would liked to be dorfed in the military. I would prefer to be a melee fighter of some kind rather then use a crossbow, but I'm not picky over what weapon.
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 16, 2018, 09:38:42 pm »

(Green means OOC) Gonna write a quick small report, just so that you guys have something to think about, as I promised a report on last friday and actually disappeared

So, apparently, our last leader simply gave up on leading us, as no one stood up to the task, I'm taking the job, all I did here was mining (I dorfed myself as one of the miners) so people should not complain, and if they do, they'll get a pickaxe to their head! Well, let's get to it!

There's an army of goblins outside, and the only one who can fight here is "Species" who I definitely don't want to risk so let's just pull these levers over here and pray that our former leader had linked them to the bridges.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Good! Or maybe...

Altough the bridges are now up and we're sealed. Only the inner bridgesw were linked... that means all the animals outside will be slaughtered (Poor horses and Llamas...)

With that, we're safe for now, and I know that one of those levers will retract the bridge that is sealing us from the outside courtyard, but I don't know which one, and I won't dare touch any of these levers. So far, nobody died, not bad for my first couple of minutes as a leader...

In the middle of the chaos, our county comes to me and hand over a piece of paper with something written on it, funny, I didn't even know she could write or read! Anyway, it was a demand:

Warthog hoof stomp on her tomb...     K I S S   M Y   A S S!

Let's review our situation, Imic! As you are the bookeeper, help me now.

Army of goblins outside?
Check sir, tough I don't think you needed me to know that...

Enough coke to continue producing?

We have 16 bars of refined coal in stock right now

Damm...

Enough food and drink?

Partially check sir, we have a good amount of food stored but no drinks whatsoever

You're kidding, right?

No, sir

Kill me

Well, let's get to work, This whole place is a complete mess. Boy... this is going to be tough...

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2018, 03:08:47 am »

Altough the bridges are now up and we're sealed. Only the inner bridgesw were linked... that means all the animals outside will be slaughtered (Poor horses and Llamas...)
I'm starting to think futile grazing animals are even more cursed than futile dwarves.

With that, we're safe for now, and I know that one of those levers will retract the bridge that is sealing us from the outside courtyard, but I don't know which one, and I won't dare touch any of these levers. So far, nobody died, not bad for my first couple of minutes as a leader...
Check the notes! At least some of them are labelled.

Well, let's get to work, This whole place is a complete mess. Boy... this is going to be tough...
Refactoring a boozeless fortress with no stone or wood, 16 coke and an army of goblins keeping you from going outside? What could go wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11