Somewhere cold
- 1 (25%)
Somewhere good
- 0 (0%)
Somewhere evil
- 1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Shatterfate - A woodless/stoneless Succession Fort  (Read 19787 times)

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shatterfate - A woodless/stoneless Succession Fort
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2018, 05:08:59 pm »

Now I have to browse bios of each of 57 of our current residents. Eversince we've struck caverns, there has been an unending stream of freeloaders visitors, who just keep to bother me with petitions. If I had sent 20 petitioners packing, one would hope the others get the hint and save us both the trouble. But no, each of them is apparently a special snowflake and hopes for special treatment. Anyway, since I keep sending them away I don't expect the bloodsucking trouble to be caused by visitors. It is possible, but really unlikely. Unlikely enough for me to read the bios.

(Much, much later...)

I found a suspect.
Spoiler: Erush Egarsazir (click to show/hide)
3 things struck me as suspicious and made me to point him out of all other dwarfs.
  • He has quite impressive history. Former member of 3 groups and used to be a baron for the current one. Vampires tend to be quite prominent historical fiqures and so the dwarf with the most impressive background is at least a suspect.
  • He didn't sleep. He came on 6th Malachite and today is 10th Timber. That is about half of a year without any moodlets from sleeping in a room, sleeping without a room or sleeping on a ground. There should be at least one from either this or last season. (Neither there are any moodlets from eating and drinking)
  • He saw the victim die. He was horrified after seeing him die. Compare with everyone else who were horrified after seeing his body.
These are some serious pointers, you're going to get locked, Erush. I'll keep an eye on you and if you don't get hungry or thirsty soon... Well, I'm not sure what I'll do. Probably sentence you to some futile labour. Anyway, I need one cell dug out for a vampire.

Spoiler: Vampire pen (click to show/hide)
There it is. It contains a bed (to annoy him, he doesn't sleep), a copper lever and a sturdy copper door. I issued a burrow over the cell, marked the lever for vampire's use only and plan to lock the door behind him. One last check I really quarantined the right dwarf:
Spoiler: Erush Egarsazir (click to show/hide)
Wait, what? I wasn't aware we got another victim? Let me check.
Spoiler: Dead list (click to show/hide)

I see. That proves it, Erush Egarsazir indeed is a vampire. (And in an unrelated note, we need a new miner.) I sentence you to eternal and futile lever flipping. You have one in your cell. There is a possibility to have it linked to something as reward for good behaviour. But that will be some other overseer's call.

Oh, and do you remember the black bear the elves brought? The one that gave me an idea? I finally got around to having it actually done:
Spoiler: Result (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 05:11:13 pm by Kametec_Housen »

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2018, 07:08:37 pm »

So we cleanse ourselves with bears now. Seems legit.

Futile dwarves are hardcore.

Caesar Josephus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2018, 07:31:00 pm »

Now we can have the vampire computer! His cell will need expanding of course and he'll never see his loved ones again, but now we have a place for nobles troublesome dwarfs.
Irl situations will require my turn be put on hold.
"What could possibly go wrong?" - Quill18

I would be careful... Kamatec may seem jovial, but he secretly leads an endless legion of Lawyers.

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2018, 01:38:28 pm »

I vote to rename the vampy boy as Kronk.
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2018, 09:13:51 am »

Futile engineering and digging endeavours are going well too. Now that the lever flipper is contained and flipping a lever, we can get busy on magma carts again. We're going to place lots of rollers and rollers are going to need power. I'll see to it that we have enough. I looked around the place and found a nice, straigt section of the river.
Spoiler: Scenery (click to show/hide)

I'll have it filled with waterwheels. Construction at the magma see is progressing slowly, so we have spare dwarf power for other projects as well. Let's get to it:
Spoiler: Waterwheels (click to show/hide)

(I've decided to make the update differently today, less writing and more clicking. What do you think?)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 09:44:30 am by Kametec_Housen »

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2018, 03:45:36 pm »

More clicking please
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2018, 07:28:32 pm »

The bridge over river section is normal.

That north section, though, wtf. Another turn like that and it'd make a triangle, haha. The ramps even break.

The gif is nice though jsyk you didn't need to remove the floors - waterwheels only need 1 flowing tile unerneath them. I sometimes use minecart on track stop to power 1-2 wheels, and it is useful for building submerged 3d boxes of wheels as well (taking advantage of diagonal being both ns and ew flow).

An 1-3 tile roller uses only 2 power, though, so an apparatus with 2085- spare power to power some rollers is quite expansive plan. Are you going to turn the surface into new magma sea?

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2018, 04:55:35 pm »

There are also losses on axles and gears. And I like to build big.

Clicky updates take me longer to prepare than normal writy ones. (for now, at least. Once I get more practice it will be better.) I didn't finish next update today, so here are miners mining garnierite in the meantime:

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2018, 09:48:54 pm »

Hey Kametec, where you at? Would love to move this fortress forward a bit. Your updates have been high quality I'll grant you that, but I have to draw the line somewhere.

Even if you just do a quick summary of the rest of the year and upload the save so the next overseer (Moonstone Flower) can pick it up, that would be better than leaving shatterfate to stagnate.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2018, 04:32:57 am »

I've been busy putting together following update, one of the last ones, just one more remaining. Is uploading save tomorrow acceptable? I don't have screenshots or plans for another animation, so standard text + pictures it is. I may even manage to have it out by evening.

It is becoming clear that the magma railroad is not going to be finished on my watch. So I should provide some other source of fuel. I think I should dig a cave for growing raw charcoal. I already have a plan on mind:
Spoiler: Design (click to show/hide)
Aquifers are plentiful around here, so using one as water mud source comes as no-brainer. With setup like this, the cave can be muddied and remuddied easily, just by pulling a lever and allowing right amount of water to flow in. There is no drain, the water is supposed to evaporate, but should it become necessary, it can be added easily. There is also space for connecting some other pipes, so this water source is ready to be used for some other projects as well. The cave itself is high enough to host even the largest trees unburned charcoal.

Here is workplan:
Spoiler: Plan (click to show/hide)
What could go wrong? Nothing! Let's get to it.
Spoiler: Designation (click to show/hide)
This size seems about alright. Our miners should get some experience as well. But as channeling progresses, some unforseen trouble arises:
Spoiler: Oh dear (click to show/hide)

Okay, so as miners are busy tapping the aquifer, the rest of the fortress is going to be assigned to cleaning duty. Dumping the stones just out of the door should suffice. And I don't want to see anybody slacking!

The aquifer is breached.
Spoiler: Aquifer (click to show/hide)

By the way, work like this is what I like to watch. No idlers, whole fort is busy doing something.
Spoiler: ...Right? (click to show/hide)
Eh? What happened? Are we dealing with another vampire?
Spoiler: Combat report (click to show/hide)
No, there is a combat report. And fights against an invisible enemy like this usually mean
Spoiler: fall to death (click to show/hide)
Oops. I was designating the stairs for removal one layer at a time in order to prevent this. But our miners are innovative enough to manage to work around any safety measures I throw at them. I didn't see what happened, but I suspect one miner stood on stairs other miner dug out. From now on, I will designate the stairs for removal one tile at a time.

Oh, and did I mention we need yet another miner?

Careful Bomrek, careful. That's it. Good boy, that wasn't hard. Those stairs on next level cannot be removed, because of the floodgate, so let's move to next level. One flight of stairs.. Okay, now next. Wait, Bomrek, no! Go back up!

... Now you've done it. Bomrek has survived, okay, but damn dude went and removed the last tile of stairs from below, trapping himself on the floodgate level.
Spoiler: Stuck Bomrek (click to show/hide)

What now? I could leave him be, but then he would produce miasma from an unreachable location. Not to say I would run out of miners really soon if this kept up. So rescue operation it is then. I'll have stairs constructed from above and hope the dwarf deconstructing them will be smarter than Bomrek. I wouldn't want to see rescuer in need of rescuing.

Okay, that worked. Bomrek is safely away (although getting him to move out of there was a bit difficult). Now: Removing the stairs, take two! Papermaker Tekkud is up for the challenge. He rushes in, starts deconstructing and
Spoiler: then it happened (click to show/hide)
Dammit Tekkud, you had one job! Did you really just stand on the stairs and removed them right away from your feet? Of course you did! At least the stairs are gone, noone is stuck and no, we don't need another papermaker.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 04:36:12 am by Kametec_Housen »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2018, 01:41:36 pm »

So, was that with or without priorities?

The dwarves are pretty inventive. Maybe next time only channel out the edges and cave in the stairs in one go afterwards.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2018, 03:36:53 pm »

It was without priorities. But I marked only one layer of stairs (2 tiles) at a time. Next layer got marked only after the previous was removed. The miner fell after 4 layers were removed. I didn't see what happened, so I can only guess. I then marked only one tile at a time. I assumed the dwarfs go the shortest path and begin digging the moment they get in reach. Bomrek the stuck proved me wrong. Also, I really didn't expect a dwarf to fall to his death after removing stairs from under him by his own hands.

Next time, I'll try removing the stairs from the top and locking the top access.

Edit: Next and final update is almost done but I'm tired already. I'll have it done first thing in the morning when I wake up.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 05:52:10 am by Kametec_Housen »

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2018, 06:04:00 am »

One last thing I want to mention is the magma cart elevator. Work on it has been rather slow, mainly because each step needs to wait for previous step to be done. Well, not really, but I wanted to have clearly defined done and not done parts.

The elevator itself consists of two alternating layers. The straight layer and corner layer. The cart is meant to go up clockwise around axle providing power. Here is how I made each of them:

Spoiler: The straight layer (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The corner layer (click to show/hide)

Those two layers are repeating and are supposed to be rotated clockwise. N -> E -> S -> W -> N

Dwarfings:
No claimed dwarf died.

New dwarfings:
FishboyLiam: Novice fishery worker, male. Creator of an artifact rock salt toy hammer, but was possessed at the time and gained nothing from the experience.
GPeter: Female talented metalsmith, founder.
Josephus: (our only) male swordsdwarf. Only dabbling however. He is not a militia captain, but got elected as mayor on 1st granite, my retirement day. (I found 2 different dorf requests from you and I went with the earlier one. And actually, GPeter did ask for the founding smith first.)
Freshcannon: male rusty adequate bone carver. He created an artifact spear (shown below), but was possessed at the time and gained nothing from the experience. (Futile clan way!)

Spoiler: Dwarf list (click to show/hide)

Noteworthy dwarf: Erush Egarsazir, vampire ranger

And finally, the most important part of the update:

But wealth comes at a price:
Spoiler: Price (click to show/hide)

And here are our new artifacts:
Spoiler: toy hammer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: bone spear (click to show/hide)

And last but not least: The save. It has been a bumpy road, thanks for bearing with me.
http://www.kametec.housen.cz/save/shatterfate.7z
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 10:45:16 am by Kametec_Housen »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2018, 08:48:51 am »

Your step 1 Dig and dug out images are of same thing.

It's a credit to minecart project to have no deaths occur during it.

(Could place the honey bees into childcare or tavern rooms to boost happiness.)

Hm, spear would have been slightly better made of iron, but this is good for training recruits. What does vampire ranger hunt?

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2018, 10:55:11 am »

And war hammers are better than toy hammers, regardless of material.

I fixed the broken image links, thanks for noticing.

Vampire is locked and pushing a lever on repeat. He may be a rusty ranger by now. 8)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11