Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ocean Embark and Whale Hunting  (Read 3368 times)

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ocean Embark and Whale Hunting
« on: May 19, 2018, 07:32:45 pm »

I'm planning a challenge fort with the main aim of accomplishing whale/shark/serpent/sea monster hunting, something that I've never done before. I know about biomes and surroundings, but what I would like to know is how to maximize the chances of such massive aquatic creatures spawning in my corner of the map. Is it better to have 1 tile of land and rest ocean or will that just kill my FPS? Is 1 tile of ocean enough to spawn every type of creature allowed by that biome?

Are there any other hints & tips you'd like to share?

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ocean Embark and Whale Hunting
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 09:42:48 pm »

In DFHack, use "region-pops list" to know what wildlife to expect.

clockwork

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Performer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 06:58:40 pm »

you're probably going to want more than one ocean biome if you can manage to find a spot. one tile should be acceptable per ocean biome. try setting up some underwater cage traps using pumps so you can capture and breed some whales in captivity!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 02:22:41 pm by clockwork »

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 09:42:37 pm »

A whale can supply you with enough meat and bone for years.  In one posting a person was talking about a whale that beached itself and he found the easiest way to deal with it was set up a butcher's stop right next to it.  That worked best.  Not sure how big sharks and the other sea animals are but maybe put a few butcher's shops on the beaches and a make sure you have more than one Dwarf who can butcher animals.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 09:45:12 pm by callisto8413 »
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 06:13:23 am »

Don't invest a lot of time building on an ocean embark until you know what wildlife you're dealing with. If cool aquatic animals aren't on your wildlife list, then they'll never show up.

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 06:38:59 am »

Yup, first attempt failed as the one ocean tile was only about twenty squares wide and had no animals at all in the first year. Time to try again.

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 04:17:42 pm »

Don't invest a lot of time building on an ocean embark until you know what wildlife you're dealing with. If cool aquatic animals aren't on your wildlife list, then they'll never show up.
Thanks for this tip. However, I have a little problem with understanding DFHack output.

When I used the script command: "region-pops list" I didn't get anything cool. When I used "region-pops list-all" I got all sharks and 316 sperm whales. Which is correct? The fort has been pretty miserable anyway as I've been re-learning the game so I don't mind retiring it.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 04:47:48 pm »

iirc region-pops list shows what you've got spawned right now and region-pops list-all shows pool of all possible spawns in your area.

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 05:15:10 pm »

Oh sweet, thanks! With 316 sperm whales in the region, the dream is alive :D

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 02:24:57 pm »

Are whales one-tile creatures?

Do I need to have a big opening between my drowning chamber and the ocean or will sharks and whales path through just one tile path?

I built my fisheries right next to the drowning chamber and used wooden doors to close them off - is that enough or will fish/whales/water get through them?

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 03:06:07 pm »

Every creature is one tile.

To make your trap work, you'll need to experiment with the wildlife AI. In general, the fewer options you leave them for movement, the more likely they'll go where you want them to. Flyers have a separate AI that frequently gets stuck. I'm not sure if aquatic creatures have their own AI.

People have done this before. Search around the forums for design ideas.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 04:32:55 pm »

Leonidas is basically correct. There is only one "creature" that isn't single tile, and that's the wagon (and wagons are technically a kind of creature).

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 04:54:00 pm »

Thanks guys!

I have a fairly small patch of ocean on my embark-map, on the SW corner. I'll start experimenting - the whole fort has been nothing but experimental FUN so far anyway.  :P

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 04:55:29 pm »

I'm fond of dropping lava from minecarts into ocean tiles to create obsidian walls that then fall to the ocean floor. That would let you build up walls to funnel whales into trap setups. It has none of the FPS hazards of trying to drain sections of ocean, too.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2018, 03:07:02 am »

Leonidas is basically correct. There is only one "creature" that isn't single tile, and that's the wagon (and wagons are technically a kind of creature).
Technically, not even those are truly multi-tile. The outer tiles can pass through walls in adventure mode. It's just visual.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: [1] 2