Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dog Breeding?  (Read 971 times)

TV4Fun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dog Breeding?
« on: May 20, 2018, 03:06:53 am »

Since DF2014, I have noticed that none of my dogs seem to have puppies, ever. Even when I assigned several male and several female dogs to the same tiny pasture for the better part of a year, there was no breeding. Has anyone else seen this?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Breeding?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 03:46:25 am »

Since DF2014, I have noticed that none of my dogs seem to have puppies, ever. Even when I assigned several male and several female dogs to the same tiny pasture for the better part of a year, there was no breeding. Has anyone else seen this?
Dogs producing puppies happily in my fortress.
Puppies producing a good stew too.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 04:40:12 am »

I don't have problems with dog breeding either. I pasture my dogs together with the birds and slaughter them as they mature, making sure to have at least one pair that can produce a future generation (using DT to ensure they're not homo/a-sexual).
There was a problem with animals requiring the marriage commitment trait to reproduce, but that was fixed a fair while ago (0.41-42, I think).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 05:22:54 am »

Ah, yeah, forgot to mention. My dogs are mostly pastured together too, to guard the entrance. Probably helps breeding.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 01:04:51 pm »

If the pasture is too small, then maybe they're stressed or distracted.

EDog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 05:10:18 pm »

You may have reached the cap dor tame dogs in your fortress. If you kill a few off, they should start breeding again. The cap is around 50, and they can exceed it, but breeding only happens if they're below it.