Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 37

Author Topic: Conspiracy Theories: The Reread The Civility Clause Thread  (Read 43441 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Conspiracy Theories: The Reread The Civility Clause Thread
« Reply #495 on: September 10, 2020, 08:35:26 am »

Nice to see nobility still being the best of us ;)
Love, scriver~

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: September 10, 2020, 08:40:13 am »

I liked a point someone made that since usually only nonwhite cultures have their accomplishments credited to aliens, taking the claims at face value could imply that aliens are racist towards white people.

I heard this echoed on Two Best Friends Play on Youtube some time ago. I have stolen the joke that follows from them:

"White people showed up to Egypt and they looked at the pyramids then looked at all the brown people and were like, -shrug- must have been aliens!"

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: September 10, 2020, 11:24:05 am »

Erich Von Daniken wrote of the Easter Island heads being carved by aliens using lasers and transported using anti-gravity sleds, because clearly a bunch of primitive humans couldn't work out how to move some heavy rocks.

But he had to explain away the fact that the area where the statues were quarried is full of stone axes, literally thousands of worn-out stone axes. So what he said was that after the aliens left, the natives tried to emulate what the aliens had done, but after realizing it was futile they threw their stone tools down in disgust, which is why they litter the ground.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: September 10, 2020, 12:24:50 pm »

I liked a point someone made that since usually only nonwhite cultures have their accomplishments credited to aliens, taking the claims at face value could imply that aliens are racist towards white people.
Its not just nonwhite. I think it correlates more with little presence in pop culture. For instance Stonhenge was built by presumably white people but since the origins are murky it is enough for alien conspiranoics.

Likewise, most these folks know jackshit about the Maya so they claim them for their alien shtick, whereas conversely none of them claim the Colosseum was built by aliens, despite being contemporary to the former, because they are rather familiar with the history of the Roman Empire.

Likewise with the Egyptians: we have lots of records (including a drawing on how pyramids were built) but the average viewer of the ancient aliens dude knows next to none about any of this.

So tl,dr obscurity helps, but it doesnt matter as much whether they had no records as whether the average watcher of the series knows about them
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: September 10, 2020, 12:42:31 pm »

Yeah, there's even a clear evolution of pyramid design. First the had burial slabs. Then they realized you could just build smaller burial slabs on top of other burial slabs for a stepped pyramid. Then they filled in the gaps. Then they gradually built steeper/taller ones. Nowhere is this clearer than the three pyramids during the reign pf Sneferu (a stepped one, a bent one that was too steep that was hastily capped off because it became unstable, then a shallow one), which show a clear amount of bollocking it up before they got it right:
https://www.timetrips.co.uk/pyramids-factssneferu.htm

You don't see this thing in many conspiracy videos:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 12:45:25 pm by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: September 10, 2020, 12:53:58 pm »

Sneferu'd beyond all repair
Love, scriver~

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: September 10, 2020, 01:07:04 pm »

Imagine getting visited by advanced aliens and the only cool technology they bless you with is how to stack rocks really well so they don't fall down.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 11, 2020, 12:54:04 pm »

If you think about it this is the basis of all human architecture, so with some creative interpretation that could be some cool shit.

PTW
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: September 11, 2020, 01:15:58 pm »

PTW

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 11, 2020, 01:20:27 pm »

I mean they gave us the ability to stack rocks up and now we live in a nightmare world, if they'd given us anything fancier we'd probably be extinct.
Shoes...

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: September 11, 2020, 09:08:11 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 09:55:32 am by dragdeler »
let

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: September 11, 2020, 09:10:22 pm »

I mean they gave us the ability to stack rocks up and now we live in a nightmare world, if they'd given us anything fancier we'd probably be extinct.

We say we're smarter than dolphins but they didn't invent employment and taxes so
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: September 11, 2020, 09:17:27 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 09:55:28 am by dragdeler »
let

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: September 13, 2020, 03:31:40 am »

If dolphins are so smart why don't they have computer games? Checkmate, marine biologists.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: September 15, 2020, 07:16:58 pm »

If marine biologists are so smart why don't they go to boot camp like the other marines? Checkmate, US Armed Forces.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 37