Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37

Author Topic: Conspiracy Theories: The Reread The Civility Clause Thread  (Read 43639 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile

I recently was looking up conspiracy theories out of morbid curiosity, and realized we don't have a thread for it, sans the WTF thread. So I'm making one.

Normal rules apply. No bickering, etc. This is a place to discuss these theories, the thought and science behind them, and their refutations or things that debunk them. It is not for attacks on personal beliefs. Anyway, onwards. Also in the vein of conversation, alien stuff (abduction, ancient, what have you), urban legends, and cryptid discussion.

Please no personally oriented conspiracies, keep it to the big shadowy global stuff.
Sharing of personal experiences in regards to the most recent topic is acceptable with the caveat that people may try to refute or dissect your account of events.
Keep refutation and dissection of such accounts clinical and entirely non-confrontational.

So for example, if we're talking about Bigfoot and I think I saw him once, it's fine to bring that personal account up, but I need to be aware that people might suggest it could have been a bear.

I'd like to start by echoing XKCD and saying that the Illuminati Semitic shadowy NWO reptilian alien overlords running the world need to get their shit together. They are doing a truly terrible job.

Also chemtrails are pretty unrealistic on a number of scientific levels. Too many people would need to be in on it, not to mention the vast amounts of chemicals they would be using would be noticed.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 06:49:56 am by Hanslanda »
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Conspiracy Theories: The Wake Up, Sheeple! Thread
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 09:44:11 am »

Let's see for how long this will last until someone has to call the Toadmobile. PTW.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 10:23:53 am »

The goal is to avoid that. I'll just lock the topic if it gets abrasive.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

exdeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 10:57:17 am »

"Everything" you need to know here:

But before it some rules:

1-I will post a text link, check the text size after reading anything at the link link, if you arent going to read everything, dont start to read it. Only start to read it if you will read everything no matter what.
1.1-If you do start to read it dont stop after finishing it. "Extraordinary claims, require extraordinary explanations" the problem is that if you think some theory is bullshit you wont read a huge text about it (and so be able the necessary amount of text to be explained and then conceived the theory is true), this if you start to read the text, some will stop after reading the text name.
2-I am not claiming the rest of the site has true info, this is just one of the many sites that has it.
3-There are many sites with this text, and its free, feel free to use google to find another if you wanted. I am posting this rule 3 to show this is not about ads or selling books, promoting some site I have or whateaver.
4.The link: https://100777.com/nwo/barbarians
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 02:34:50 pm by exdeath »

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 11:30:12 am »

I believe the world has gone stark raving mad. It was inevitable.

Honestly, I don't believe in conspiracy theories, but they are interesting to read, sometimes. Other times they make you wish for a memory wipe.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 11:35:57 am »

Posting to watch where it's going to go.

Conspiracy theories are a fascinating subject from the point of view of psychology of cognition.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 12:13:50 pm »

Sickeningly, the more that they get disproven by the mainstream, the more the ardent view it as "concerted effort to conceal the truth."

Humans are apparently very vulnerable to memetic viruses.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 12:39:09 pm »

Humans are apparently very vulnerable to memetic viruses.

Memes!  The DNA of the soul!
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Derpy Dev

• Bay Watcher
  • Normal Person Doing Normal Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 12:48:21 pm »

I'm gonna PTW as a personal fan of conspiracy theories :D

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 01:38:56 pm »

https://100777.com/nwo/barbarians

Rules
1-Check the text size after opening the link, if you arent going to read everything, dont start to read it, unless you will read everything no matter what.
1.1-If you do start to read it dont stop after finishing it. "Extraordinary claims, require extraordinary explanations" the problem is that if you think some theory is bullshit you wont read a huge text about it (and so be able the necessary amount of text to be explained and then conceived the theory is true), this if you start to read the text, some will stop after reading the text name.
2-I am not claiming the rest of the site has true info, this is just one of the many sites that has it.
3-There are many sites with this text, and its free, feel free to use google to find another if you wanted. I am posting this rule 3 to show this is not about ads or selling books, promoting some site I have or whateaver.

Well it was certainly a very intriguing read. The end where they got real preachy sorta irked my atheist-sense, like it's all some conspiracy against Christians. Calm down guys, there are two other yuge Abrahamic religions that would be affected too.

That said, I can certainly see the technologies and systems that would be used to promote this sort of system and why it's concerning. Something to consider in the years to come.

Posting to watch where it's going to go.

Conspiracy theories are a fascinating subject from the point of view of psychology of cognition.

This. I find most of them to be unrealistic in their assumptions of how people keep secrets. The old saying, two can keep a secret if one is dead, comes to mind. That statistician did a study on several CTs and most wouldn't last longer than 3 years average.
He's fucking with us.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 07:28:17 pm »

https://100777.com/nwo/barbarians

Rules
1-Check the text size after opening the link, if you arent going to read everything, dont start to read it, unless you will read everything no matter what.
Holy molly, what a load of gunk.

The misquoted adage goes 'extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence'. Not 'explanations'. Anyone can spin a tall tale, which is why we had myths and literature before we had science.

And the evidence presented is... a transcript, of a 30 years old recording, of recollections of some guy, of what some other guy said 20 years prior.

This is exactly the kind of thinking that I find so fascinating - what makes a person, who may otherwise be fully able to function in a society, give credence to such an obvious invention.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 08:03:16 pm »

I believe the answer to that question is "Confirmation Bias".

This SMBC is eerily apropos.

To the cynic, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence (but less extraordinary claims much less so, to the point of blind acceptance of mainstream statements.)
To the conspiratorial mind, the same is also true.

The difference is what is considered an extraordinary claim.  The US government has indeed performed horrible things, and done so clandestinely. (Tuskegee syphilis experiment for the win bob.) There is an evidential track record for it doing so, so the claim that the government deals in dirty pool for its own aims is not unreasonable, nor extraordinary.  However, baseless accusation is also a thing, with an even longer track record.  It is not sufficient to just make a claim, evidence must be presented. This is where bias does its magic. The degree of quality in evidence accepted as being supportive.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 08:04:49 pm by wierd »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2018, 08:47:18 pm »

I must say, considering that this vast conspiracy of millions of people described operating well over sixty years communicating and coordinating in total undetectable secrecy with no proof or whistleblowers escaping to give the biggest news story in the history of the world, they sure didn’t ever mention the modern role of ubiquitous computing even once, despite all his lofty statements about how this guy had pre-knowledge of things in the future like AIDS. Almost as if this guy who gave this interview before the internet was a thing had no clue that such a thing could conceivably exist, and therefore couldn’t make anything up about it, especially considering how much of a vital core of the conspiracy he described it would have been.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2018, 08:56:37 pm »

Or perhaps the guy from the future simply felt it was ubiquitous, and thus did not need lamplighting.

(WoooooooooOOOOoooOOOO!)

LOLOL

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 09:03:59 pm »

Also the casual mix of “stuff that was already happening/trending at the time he said it and only looks spooky and premonitive because we have a tendency to think that the problems of today arose 10 seconds ago” , “scary sounding stuff with no dates that never happened but are implied to happen in the future”, “scary stuff with threateningly specific dates that are amusing to us future people because we know they never happened, like all the doomsday cults who keep moving their clocks forwards whenever the latest conjunction of the stars does diddly-squat” ; and of course, Implying That The Gays Is A Conspiracy Against Christianity.

I give this conspiracy theory a 95/100 for a heady mix of borrowed credibility, grandiose statements, outdated rhetoric, and issue the Product Of Its Time award, for what time and hindsight  has revealed to be a pathetically outdated hoax
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37