Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 37

Author Topic: Conspiracy Theories: The Reread The Civility Clause Thread  (Read 43451 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Conspiracy Theories:The Back In My Day Thread
« Reply #360 on: June 13, 2018, 10:12:18 pm »

Congresscritters are barely alive, much less self-aware, they're moustache twirling parodies of villainous tropes. A megalomaniac can be incompetent, but a supervillain by definition requires some success.

A cartoonish villain ties women to railroad tracks without checking to see if there are even trains using those tracks these days.

A supervillain engineers a situation where the woman is tied to the tracks by a duped lower level villain and when the big ass hero shows up to save the day it causes a malfunction back at a switching station so the hero now has to track down and stop a runaway train en route to a populated area OR prevent a train carrying something valuable from being robbed.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 13, 2018, 10:20:25 pm »

Ah, one's a straw man and the other's a coping mechanism. Carry on.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: June 14, 2018, 01:58:05 am »

I remember reading that they tried using the microwave auditory effect back in the MKUltra days. It's certainly one of the more feasible methods for affecting what someone thinks. e.g. drugs or other stuff they tried are going to be hit and miss, but if you can beam a word into someone's head, that's much easier to control.

It's hard to say of course since CIA Director Helms shredded so many documents related to MKUltra after Watergate made it clear there were going to be investigations. But, the microwave auditory effect is certainly less insane than many of the things we know for sure that they tried. The only reason the known 20,000 documents survived the purge was because of a clerical error leading a few boxes to be mislabeled and stored in the wrong department.

However, I have serious doubts about the idea that we could consistently use the effect as a communication method. If it was that simple, then companies would have long since been beaming "I need to buy <product X>" into people's heads.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 02:17:38 am by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 14, 2018, 03:27:38 am »

If it was that simple, then companies would have long since been beaming "I need to buy <product X>" into people's heads.
What makes you think they haven't?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 14, 2018, 05:39:42 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:43:57 pm by dragdeler »
let

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 14, 2018, 05:41:53 am »

What makes you think they haven't?

The lack of consensus, if anything they're broadcasting white noise to disrupt our toughts   ::)

I read that last word as thots and I found it an admirable goal.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 14, 2018, 09:14:09 am »

I remember reading that they tried using the microwave auditory effect back in the MKUltra days. It's certainly one of the more feasible methods for affecting what someone thinks. e.g. drugs or other stuff they tried are going to be hit and miss, but if you can beam a word into someone's head, that's much easier to control.

It's hard to say of course since CIA Director Helms shredded so many documents related to MKUltra after Watergate made it clear there were going to be investigations. But, the microwave auditory effect is certainly less insane than many of the things we know for sure that they tried. The only reason the known 20,000 documents survived the purge was because of a clerical error leading a few boxes to be mislabeled and stored in the wrong department.

However, I have serious doubts about the idea that we could consistently use the effect as a communication method. If it was that simple, then companies would have long since been beaming "I need to buy <product X>" into people's heads.

There needs to be some version of Clarke's laws for conspiracy theories, one of which is "any sufficiently misunderstood form of communication is indistinguishable from mind control."

The microwave auditory effect just makes people hear noises by thermoelastically stimulating the inner ears, thus the "auditory" part. It's no more effective at making people believe those noises than talking to them.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 14, 2018, 11:15:10 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:43:44 pm by dragdeler »
let

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 14, 2018, 11:22:34 am »

... Thots means That Hoe Over There
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 14, 2018, 11:50:58 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:43:36 pm by dragdeler »
let

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 14, 2018, 12:12:41 pm »

Ah, one's a straw man and the other's a coping mechanism. Carry on.
What exactly do you think you accomplished here? Because it seems like you strawmanned me by saying I was using a strawman, and Armok only knows what the coping mechanism thing is supposed to be.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 14, 2018, 12:33:29 pm »

A friendly reminder to be civil is in order methinks.

Also new topic: actual proven conspiracies. Tuskegee syphilis experiment, St. Louis radioactive sprinkler water, etc.
He's fucking with us.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: June 14, 2018, 12:35:15 pm »

Also new topic: actual proven conspiracies. Tuskegee syphilis experiment, St. Louis radioactive sprinkler water, etc.

Oh! How about Roswell? Not the aliens part, just the coverup of Project Mogul.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 14, 2018, 12:50:00 pm »

I don't know about that one. Details plz.
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 37