Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 37

Author Topic: Conspiracy Theories: The Reread The Civility Clause Thread  (Read 43185 times)

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Conspiracy Theories:The Back In My Day Thread
« Reply #375 on: June 14, 2018, 12:56:15 pm »

I don't know about that one. Details plz.

Sure. You know, I assume, of the Roswell Incident, where debris from an unidentified flying object (used here in the literal sense) was found in 1947? The government said it was a weather balloon, while UFOlogists claimed this to be a coverup for the recovery of an alien spacecraft, and so a half-century of UFO tourism began.

As it happens, there was a coverup and the debris was not from a weather balloon; it was, instead, part of Project Mogul, an attempt to detect Soviet nuclear tests by the sound of their explosions via microphones carried to high altitudes on balloons, as the government admitted in the 90s.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 14, 2018, 12:58:38 pm »

the coverup of Project Mogul.
Did you mean to say the false information spread to convince the less-trusting parts of the public that these were military balloons and not aliens?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 14, 2018, 01:04:11 pm »

The overlie to the lie.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 14, 2018, 01:10:45 pm »

Just like they admitted to Iran contra, a multitude of coups d'état in south america and the one that got Komeini in power... Is it still considered fringe to take Zbigniew Brzeziński seriously in 2018? Can we ever truly close the case on such matters? If history is a science, the models are expected to be progressing. But since I consider 90% of mainstream discourse propaganda, I might not be the most finetuned guy to anticipate what is fringe and what not.
let

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 14, 2018, 01:13:18 pm »

But since I consider 90% of mainstream discourse propaganda, I might not be the most finetuned guy to anticipate what is fringe and what not.
I wanna say: Yeah, no shit. So, I will.
Yeah, no shit.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 14, 2018, 01:13:56 pm »

The overlie to the lie.
Its lies all the way down
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 14, 2018, 01:17:46 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:43:29 pm by dragdeler »
let

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 14, 2018, 01:20:41 pm »

The overlie to the lie.
Its lies all the way down

Reality is a fractal lie that got way out of hand.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 14, 2018, 01:20:59 pm »

Yeah, no shit.

Look, I'm a freak, and it looks like you ain't getting rid of me that fast  :-*
Please stand by as our black helicopters get to your place. And yes, we do know where you live.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 14, 2018, 03:54:22 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:43:23 pm by dragdeler »
let

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: June 18, 2018, 01:19:06 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:43:16 pm by dragdeler »
let

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: June 18, 2018, 01:45:35 pm »

Neither. Cicada 3301 is a cult; they're like a more mystical version of MENSA. They convince mathematics students and cryptography enthusiasts that they're intellectually elite despite having accomplished nothing of note and welcome them into a global fraternity of similarly self-satisfied knuckleheads peddling smug hogwash to each other about how they're on the cutting edge of everything without ever actually doing anything at all. You can see how this is irresistibly appealing to the sorts of people amenable to belief in conspiracy theories.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: June 18, 2018, 02:24:03 pm »

Cicada 3301: Some anonymous group posted cryptography-related puzzles on Jan 4th/5th for several years from 2013 onwards.

Nobody has ever publicly claimed to have solved the puzzles, so various conspiracy theory have arisen that anyone who solves the puzzles has been whisked away to work for the CIA or NSA or some other even more secretive organization. But I'm sure you can see a number of holes in that theory.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: June 18, 2018, 02:45:44 pm »

Two of the bigger holes in the "double super secret CIA" theory are the lack of any official announcement and the perversely time-intensive nature of the tests themselves. Some intelligence organizations do recruit via tests that superficially resemble Cicada's, but for obvious reasons they announce them officially in part to ensure that only people interested in whatever they're offering come bother them with a solution. Cicada runs a clear risk of people solving their puzzles and not wanting anything to do with whoever turns out to be at the end of the rabbit hole.

Furthermore, and somewhat more tellingly, official tests tend to be more narrowly focused on technical acumen and reasonably quick to complete; they want to know that you can do some specific task they need done, and so restrict their testing to that task set. Cicada's tests are more poetic, name-dropping cyberpunk literature and bits of literary esoterica while also demanding their applicants do things like search out far-flung telephone poles with QR codes on them and wait long periods of time to check Web sites. One gets the sense they're setting up hoops for the sole purpose of seeing who has the free time to spend jumping through them, which is somewhat irrelevant to someone looking for employees.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: June 18, 2018, 03:03:08 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:46:50 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 37