Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: GalactiRace Core Thread | Turn 5. It's Laaate...  (Read 11435 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
GalactiRace Core Thread | Turn 5. It's Laaate...
« on: May 20, 2018, 12:38:47 pm »

Galactic Race

General Play Loop
These rules are adapted from a couple different arms race games, with enough new twists that they're worth reading again even if you've played all the arms race games.

This arms race plays out over 3 phases: The design and project maintenance phase, the revision phase, and the production, deployment and tactics phase. In the absence of other modifiers, each team gains 5 dice to use at the start of every year. Every year, each team will cycle through the three phases in order, spending dice and resources to capture worlds and advance their cause.

At the start of each year designs and project maintenance is handled. Members of each team may propose designs. Everyone is allowed to vote for a design.  During this same time, players of each team propose resource allocation plans for various pre-existing projects. These are voted on in the same way as designs. You can vote for any number of projects so long as there are enough dice for everything you're voting for to be done simultaneously. You cannot vote for the same design or spending plan more than once. It is not possible to directly vote against a design, but it is possible to vote for meta-goals such as 'no design' or 'only 1 design'.  The design (if any) with the most votes gets rendered into a new project and the progress for the funded existing projects moves ahead at the end of this stage. Any created prototypes or finished projects are also described at the end of this stage.

After designs and projects have been worked out, then the players move on to revisions. Revision are cheap, but best suited to address problems with improvements to existing desings. For example, if you finished a ship based beam laser last round, you can try a revision to make a pulsed version or to fix an overheating issue. However, one could not immediately turn around and revise infantry laser weapons from a ship based beam laser. Do not make the mistake of thinking that smaller is less complex. Revisions to improve a technology beyond the original design will face diminishing returns quickly, but correcting bugs in the original design does not count against that soft limit.

Any dice not spent on revisions/designs/projects are saved back for the next round. Each team can bank a total of 5 dice, giving them a maximum of 10 dice to spend at any one time.

After revisions comes the production, deployment, and tactics phase. During deployment you can set and modify standing movement orders to your ships, sending them to various locations to do ship things. A ship's range is determined by its bore drive, but its movement will be halted by enemy activity. Ships can be ordered to only engage under certain conditions, but Captains may have imperfect information depending on sensors and a variety of other factors. In the event of engagement, ships will do their best to carry out whatever tactic they have assigned.  For soldiers on the ground, orders are of three major flavors: Advance, hold the line, and retreat. Advance tactics attempt to take ground, and will inflict maximum casualties for both attacker and defender. Holding the line is better to keep from losing ground against a stronger attack force, but will never gain territory and will inflict fewer casualties than an offense. Retreating voluntarily gives up ground, attempting to spare lives and equipment for the defenders when possible. The last part, construction orders, is about allocating production points and/or resources to actually build new weapons/ships/regiments/infrastructure.  Each player gets a single vote for each of these three types of commands, with the same rules as voting for revisions and designs applying.

Once that's finished, I put out the battle report into the main thread, and the turn cycles back around to the main phase. Certain actions, such as fleet movements, colonization and construction, will not be posted into the main thread, and will remain localized to each Empire's thread.

Combat in Space
Combat in space will not be realistic. Realistic space combat is... a pain. If you've played SoTS or Starsector, that's more the feel I'm aiming for. If you haven't, think more of Star Trek naval combat, though with the distances being a bit longer. When deploying a fleet, you can freely specify the tactics used by the ships involved. Such tactics can be written up at any time, and you should make every effort for them to be concise and clear in their instruction. If this freeform method proves ineffective, we'll move to tactics being integrated directly as designs and revisions.

Unless given instruction otherwise, combat vessels will attempt to engage until they face a clear defeat, at which point they'll prime for an emergency Bore Jump and attempt to bug out. This will, however, damage the systems of the surviving vessels, and potentially cause cascading failures and even the destruction damaged ships. Non-Combat vessels, massively outclassed combat vessels, or vessels ordered not to engage, will attempt to create distance at sublight speed before making an FTL jump when forced into a combat encounter.

After a battle, if there are any ships capable of towing, derelicts from destroyed vessels can be hauled back by whichever side gained area control. Such derelicts can be scrapped for resources and a look at the operational parameters of surviving equipment. With base salvage technology, resource yields for such salvage will not exceed 10% of its original value.

Planetary Combat
Planetary combat is split into two parts, planetary bombardment and landings.

Planetary bombardment serves two purposes. First, it can allow attackers to 'soften up' strategic ground targets in order for later landing forces to have an easier time actually invading. Second, it can be used to inflict quick economic damage on an adversary without actually needing to spend the resources on a full-on invasion fleet of transports. At start, you have two flavors of bombardment: soft target bombardment and hard target bombardment. Hard target bombardment attempts to hit military installations and defensive infrastructure, reducing their efficacy, and potentially reducing the army value of a planet. If there are no defensive armies and a planet's defense grid is destroyed, the resistance to capture the world will be minimal- assuming that the other nation hasn't done hijinx to the contrary.

While that sounds nice, Hard targets, true to their name, are usually hardened against bombardment. In some cases you may find yourself in a position where you don't have time, resources, or firepower to start hammering down defenses so you can send in an invasion force. Still, if you can manage to get a fleet around an enemy planet, you want to try and deal damage. That's where soft-target bombardment is helpful. True to its name, it attempts to hit the soft targets of your opponent's economic infrastructure- farms, research labs, mines, etc.  Destroying these not only reduces the amount of resources they get per turn, but forces them to spend money rebuilding. Of course, in an ideal world you'd like to capture a planet with most of the soft targets intact so you don't have to rebuild them yourself (see Planets and Planetary infrastructure), but war doesn't always allow for ideal worlds.

You may be able to spend designs and revisions to improve the efficacy of or prioritize certain targets with orbital bombardment.

Planetary landings require transports filled with troops. Landing regiments then face pushback against defense forces, directly engaging ground forces in a bid to conquer strategic positions. Importantly, basic ground troops do not inflict damage to infrastructure. They target enemy troops and attempt to capture strategic areas to control the planet, and thus any surviving infrastructure is turned over to attackers. Ground attacks do not utilize tactics. Regiments of troops are assumed to include a mix of infantry and transports. However, more advanced or specialized units, such has high-power mecha, artillery cannons, elite psychic infantry, air support, or unspeakable eldritch horrors the size of small mountains, may be manufactured and added as attachments to basic regiments. Basically, if it's expensive to build/train, it'll be its own special attachment, not part of a standard invasion regiment.

If the attackers are doing well against the defenders, they'll begin to gain dominion over the planet. Dominion is represented as x/10, and represents how close you are to being able to control the important parts of the planet. 10/10 Dominion doesn't necessarily mean that you own and actively patrol every inch of territory, it just means that you're free to rain fire and death on anyone who wants to question whether you own any particular piece of territory. Depending on how well matched opposing forces are, dominion will be gained/lost at a rate of 1-4 per turn. A gain of 1 point of dominion indicates that any edge over the enemy is a slim one that could be turned aside easily, and may be wholly dependent on the fickle whim of fate. If forces are evenly matched, a coin will be flipped to see which side gains 1 dominion. A gain of 2 dominion indicates that there is a definite advantage over the enemy, but that the enemy is still able to put up a strong resistance, or that the advantage cannot be easily leveraged to control territory. A gain of 3 dominion indicates clear advantage over the enemy, where the majority of encounters end in retreat and the enemy is only able to mount a significant resistance at critical points. A gain of 4 dominion indicates that the enemy is being routed in every engagement, and that attacking forces have only to find their enemy to destroy them.

It should be noted that while certain special units, such as a massive abomination or a temporally unstable supersoldier may be able to devastate armies on their own, there's nothing like thousands of boots to actually take ground and root out the enemy.

Definitions and Resources

Spoiler: How Rolling Will Work (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Combat Essentials (click to show/hide)

Setting Modifiers

Soft-Serve Science: You want your reactor to run off the power of a forsaken psionic child channeling the energy of a dark star God? Sounds great, just give me a write-up. This isn't a hard science game- this is a game where one could conceivably get away with SPEHSS MAHRENS and SPEHSS MAGICKS, not one where I'm going to nag you over perfectly reasonable details of science and 'but reality doesn't do that'. I'm not going to make you write a paper on the exact physics that justify a waveforce shield or a mantra powered Buddhism laser- but you do need to beware the golden rule of the universe: 'Shit ain't Free'. Everything, no matter how advanced, has a price. Actions have Consequences.

Begin at your Beginnings: This game will have a special opening phase, seven turns in length. During this period, the final phase of each turn is skipped- so there is no production, deployment and tactics. Instead, you are given ten dice per turn, and you will be asked to create the designs for most of your starting tech.

Everybody in Space Sciences English: Everybody has the same FTL drive technology, the Bore Drive. You can dick with it as you will, justify it however you want, and re-flavor how you generate the bore as you wish. Mechanically, however, everyone starts on the same FTL playing field.

Batreps
    [/list]
    « Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 11:43:15 pm by Draignean »
    I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
    ---
    Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
    A: "No, not particularly."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    Re: GalactiRace Core Thread | Starting Up, Nothing Can Go Wrong
    « Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 12:39:15 pm »

The Sides

For this Arms Race, there are three empires- as should be well evidenced by the fact that there are three threads with the creative names of Empire 1, Empire 2, and Empire 3. The players for each empire will be able to pick their empire's name and, more importantly, race. This game has aspects loosely based around the Sword of the Stars universe, and that includes the races. When you join a faction, post a vote for not only your Empire's name, but also one of the five* available races.

(Music clips are provided not to define the empire, but to give you some starting direction aside from picking a random number)

[We] Hiver Empire Thread (Music)
    Liir Biocollective Liir Empire Thread (Music)
    Gaian Regime Terran Empire Thread (Music)

Spoiler: Racial Options (click to show/hide)

*There are no Zuul. I don't feel like dealing with Zuul right now.

This post will be used from here forward to contain any amendments made to the rules after the game begins, as well as any potentially relevant clarifications.

On Bores
    1. Passing mass also causes a bore to decay. The upper class-limit of ships that a given bore can transport results from this.

On Designs
    1. For component designs, it is kosher to have multiple size variants of a weapon/tech done at the same time. This does increase difficulty, and I would greatly enjoy a write-up for both sizes- or at least a mention of how they differ.

On Ship Fighting
    Spoiler: Combat Ranges (click to show/hide)

On Ground Combat
    Spoiler: Mechanics Update (click to show/hide)
    Spoiler: On Attachments (click to show/hide)

On Fightercraft
    Spoiler: On Bore Sizes (click to show/hide)
    « Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 08:24:30 pm by Draignean »
    I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
    ---

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 12:55:20 pm »

Mad man
    Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
    Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • Requires music to get through the working day.
      • View Profile
    In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
    One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
    • Cthuwu
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 01:30:21 pm »

* Haspen looks at map.

Seems like there is some cosmic horror lurking about, it has already devoured Delta system :P
    SigFlags!
    Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
    Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
    Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
    Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 01:31:30 pm »

* Haspen looks at map.

Seems like there is some cosmic horror lurking about, it has already devoured Delta system :P

Delta housed the people who complained too much.
    ---

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 01:40:22 pm »

* Haspen looks at map.

When I showed Draignean the map, he said it was fine. u_u

The names dont matter anyways, they'll get renamed quickly enough.

Also: Empire 1 will be the HIVER thread! Come join, come serve our glorious QUEEN!
    « Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 02:25:40 pm by evictedSaint »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 01:41:46 pm »

Well, duh. The ability to tell people 'it's at Delta' is absolutely invaluable.
    ---

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 02:23:14 pm »

All Empires appear to have established Races, which was faster than I imagined. However, there's still a lot of voting going on for the homeworld names and empire names.

I'll be back in a few hours to check on this seething mass of weird.
    ---

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
    • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 02:51:56 pm »

Well, duh. The ability to tell people 'it's at Delta' is absolutely invaluable.
    Base Delta Zero, indeed.

Meanwhile, come, comrades, bring glory to the HIVE! [Empire 1]
    Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 03:37:41 pm »

I do have a question — how much will we get to mess around with the categories (such as there only being resource and defense infrastructure categories) and limits (such as bore movement stopping upon hitting actions) put down in the rules? Will we potentially get to research our way around them?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 03:48:31 pm »

I do have a question — how much will we get to mess around with the categories (such as there only being resource and defense infrastructure categories) and limits (such as bore movement stopping upon hitting actions) put down in the rules? Will we potentially get to research our way around them?

If you can think of some infrastructure that doesn't go in one or the other, we'll see.  As far as bore movement stopping on actions, that's for when you engage. If you have a fleet of cloaked ships that don't have orders to engage, then they can go by like ships in the night. However, for a fleet to be able to fight one battle and the jump again immediately thereafter would require serious investment and specialized vessels. I can see situations, however, where it would be theoretically possible.
    ---

BBBence1111

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: May 20, 2018, 06:46:16 pm »

Just posting so I get notifications, don't mind me.
    Proud Juraki/Cannalan/Kasgyr/Ertexite/Karikhitan/Nogranian/Aratam Engineer.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
    • Hopefully not killing this game too
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 06:31:41 pm »

PTW
    Quote from: xkcd
    I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • Requires music to get through the working day.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 07:59:26 pm »

Citizens of the Galaxy, today is a Day of Truth/Light/Revelation

Within the previous Interstellar Fortweek, the Hivers have contacted us with a conversation/dialogue/treachery, a proposal of an alliance together to destroy the Gaians. This will not stand; if the Hivers can propose what amounts to the extermination and elimination of an entire species with the all the care of a dinner conversation, what else are they willing to do with such casual disregard for life/BioCollective/Gaians?

This proposal/war effort disgusts the BioCollective, and we will not stand for this. We will not abide by this treachery/zealous/genocidal intent of the Hivers, and we are sending a message to both the quiet but lively Gaian Regime, and to the single song of the Hivers.

To the Gaians, the BioCollective have determined that this information will result in less then amicable relations between your species and the Hivers, and to this end we cannot abide the darkening/quieting/withering of the galaxy through combat, and we henceforth sent forth the ultimatum that we will directly oppose any combat/destruction/military action between nations. Should combat occur, we shall begin a peacekeeping campaign against both combatants as to prevent the galaxy from burning in the fires of a war of extinction.

To the Hivers, we are disgusted by your carefree attitude of open discussions that begins and ends with the extermination of an entire species/lifeform/society, and we will explain ourselves once and only once; we feel that the word angry is a perfect description of the equivalent emotion that we feel against you. Due to the disappointment you have caused through your actions, we will no longer consider any type of alliance, trade-agreement or other type of diplomatic songs with the involvement of Biocollective until we feel that reparations have been collected for this strike against the peacefulness of the stars.

Furthermore, we believe your proposed war of extinction/extermination is entirely unwarranted against the Gaians, and we demand that you cease actions towards this end or be faced with a Peacekeeping campaign. Deplorable acts such as continued arms build up or rampant and heedless exploitation of worlds in pursuit of constructing a pointless and ruinous/corrupting/silencing Military Industrial Complex will result in the declaration of a suppression campaign with the full brunt of our forces for the purposes of peace-keeping, such that not even one singer in this Galaxy, however quiet their song, loses their voice.

Spoiler: Evidence (click to show/hide)
    In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
    One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
    Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7