Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24

Author Topic: [We] Empire Thread | Hivers | GalactiRace  (Read 23492 times)

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Empire 1 Thread | GalactiRace
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 05:22:12 pm »

Dramatic entrance!!!
Quote from: Update the goddam forum software
Those in Service of the Queens
(5) Eternally Loyal: evictedSaint, BBBence1111, Shadowclaw777, Sarrak, DGR 11897
(1) Tarilsar: KhazintheDark
Faction Name
(1) Unified Colony: evictedSaint
(1) Silentium Flood: Shadowclaw777
(1) Endless Empire: Sarrak
(2) [Concordance]: KhazintheDark, DGR
(1) [Preeminence]: BBB
Homeword
(3) Regalis: evictedSaint, Sarrak, BBB
(1) Gravestart: Shadowclaw777
(1) Fir'Tal: KhazintheDark
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 05:51:19 pm »

(5) Eternally Loyal: evictedSaint, BBBence1111, Shadowclaw777, Sarrak, DGR 11897
Faction Name
(0) Unified Colony:
(0) Endless Empire:
(1) [Concordance]: DGR
(1) [Preeminence]: BBB
(3) [We]: eS, Sarrak, KhazintheDark
Homeword

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2018, 05:58:50 pm »

I have been thinking about B5 lately, and thought "shadows could be cool" so is anyone up for hyperspace shenanigans? I hear that F.T.L. is all pre-mandated, so we can't get hyperspace F.T.L., but the shifting could still be cool...

There seems to be a lot of support for space-dragons. Could we try to conquer/ally/enslave/bioengineer some? Bioengineering would be the easiest option and not require anything from the G.M., but it would also be the lamest option as they would have no background and they are not the scariest things that we could build...

P.S.
Welcome! This is now a HIVER Thread!
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

BBBence1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2018, 06:48:15 pm »

Faction Name
(0) Unified Colony:
(0) Endless Empire:
(1) [Concordance]: DGR
(1) [Preeminence]:
(4) [We]: eS, Sarrak, KhazintheDark, BBB
Homeword
Proud Juraki/Cannalan/Kasgyr/Ertexite/Karikhitan/Nogranian/Aratam Engineer.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
[We] Empire Thread | GalactiRace
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2018, 07:22:56 am »

Empire 1 is now the empire identified only as [We], a common sense of identity shared at the most basic level by all Hiver in your dominion. Your Homeworld is storied Regalis, from which thousands flow. Grow and multiply, children. Be fruitful among the stars.

Design Phase of Year -6

Resources
Dice: 10
T: 0 + 2500
O: 0 + 7500
M: 0 + 7500
E: 0 + 5000
S: 0 + 500

Spoiler: Active Projects (click to show/hide)

Now we begin the design phase. Remember, you are an existing empire, so you're expected to have a certain hidden baseline of technology- we just don't know exactly know what that is until you define it- which is what this design phase is for.

Designs should be detailed, describe what you're doing and how. You can invent materials, you can invent effects, you can step sidewise across the barriers of physics and do a jig. Be consistent, be methodical, and be thorough. What resources your design will use are dependent on your write-up. How much you use is dependent on your write-up. The difficulty of a project is dependent on your write-up.

Two very important things. One, be creative and be interesting. Build off the roots you want to have, and your designs will reveal your history. Second, remember to show and not tell. Describing a weapon as being capable of obliterating anything, drawing only the power of a duracell, being trivially difficult, and cheap enough to issue to every infantryman is a surefire way to give me a distaste for it. You need to be clever, lead me to conclusions gently. Just saying things are great in all possible ways will not work.

Oh, a final tip. Synthetics. Using them in a design is expensive, but they're a clear cue to me that you want that you want to break the rules of reality in a big way. Want to harvest energy from hell? Synthetics. Want a material that can hold up a space elevator? Synthetics. You can generate hypothetical molecules and properties from the other resources, but Synthetics are an easy solution to hard problems.

The following is a Hypothetical planning document for an example empire, giving some examples of starting level tech. I phoned it in at a couple places, but it's a start.
Temerian Magnate

Your Tech Sheet
Here

Your Empire Planner
Here
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [We] Empire Thread | Hivers | GalactiRace
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2018, 03:56:12 pm »

Well, this thread seems to be the least active, so I guess I'll subsume my consciousness into the collective. 

Right then. We need to design all the bits of a ship. We have a basic bore drive already, which means we need:
-Hull
-Engines
-Generator
-Weapons
And possibly other stuff. Let's start with the weapons, since if we know how much power our weapons need, we know how much our generators need to produce, and if we know how big our generators are, we know how much space we need in our hulls.

So, what manner of weaponry shall we develop? Lasers? Kinetic weapons? Missiles? Something more exotic?

E: Just thought of a funny idea: fuck ranged weapons. Develop powerful bi-directional shields (meaning they can't shoot in and we can't shoot out), and just straight-up ram/board enemy vessels. Eh? Ehh?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 04:05:50 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2018, 04:14:35 pm »

Nuke join the discord plz we are discussing strategy

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2018, 04:27:52 pm »

Ah, I didn't see it. Whoops.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2018, 06:04:55 pm »

Borehole 3D printing
By making an absolutely tiny borehole (around an atom or two wide) we can make a high precision Nozzle for a 3D printer. By simply running a block of material through it we can extract single atoms, of course due to issues moving the borehole endpoint around we instead move the bottom of the print bed by precise amounts. The advantages of this system are precision, the ability to quickly change  out materials, and the ability to print new material inside of other structures. Also due to problems making boreholes in atmosphere both the printing area and the feeding tray are in vacuum.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 06:08:00 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2018, 06:23:19 pm »

Quote from: Design 1
[OUR] (GSD) <Queen's Will> Gen A.1.0

Our Gravity Spike Driver "Queen's Will", Generation A, Version 1.0.

The Queen's Will is a reactionless drive designed to be mounted to interstellar starships.  The basic principle of the GSD relies on the manipulation of the fabric of space-time to generate gravity wells.  Typically, an object with high density and mass will generate a gravity well - a downward spike in the fabric of space, which exerts an attractive force on nearby objects.  The GSD is able to distort space-time to create a localize gravity spike just forwards of the drive, controlled tightly enough that the gravitational effects are felt only on the drive itself.  This generates a force on the drive, causing it to "fall" forward into the gravity well.  As the drive moves forward, it updates the position of the gravity spike further ahead, keeping the drive on the cusp of falling forward.  Through this acute manipulation of spacetime, a starship with sufficient power can generate forward thrust without the need to expend mass; i.e. a true Reactionless Drive.

The Queen's Will relies on superconducting elements to rapidly generate and collapse overlapping Boreholes in a vacuum, where the relative position computation is mapped to the drive itself.  The small size of each individual borehole enables greater control over the gravity fields generated, allowing us to use the spacetime-distorting anomalies to generate thrust.  The drive itself is contained within a heavily shielded spherical compartment, mounted on a massive gimbal system to allow the entire apparatus to rotate to avoid unnecessary recomputation of shifting Boreholes.  The Queen's Will is intended to be dual-mounted on spacecraft to allow for a high degree of omni-directional movement and rotation, as well as for simple redundancy.

-evictedSaint's Design

Quote from: Design 2
[OUR] (PGCR) <Psionic Gestalt Consciousness Reactor> Gen A.1.0

The Psionic Gestalt Consciousness Reactor is a powerful energy reactor that utilized the collective electrical current from the linked connections of a higher authority Hiver to a lesser drone as is the connection of a nervous system. The PGS is a metallic device that combines some exotic materials to allow the psionic consciousness of the Hivers to effectively power a electrically current the psionic link has and combined the link of every drone of the ship into the electrical current for the reactor which powered by a turbine produces a significant enough energy to power a ship, and the more drones on a ship the higher amount of power this reactor can produce.

-Shadowclaw777's Design

Quote from: Design 3
[OUR] (KARPAR) <Field Generators> Gen A.1.0

Hivers know the secret to victory in battle: surviving longer than the enemy. And so, Hivers have long since perfected defensive technology. Even the first vessels to venture out on intra-system voyages were well armoured, because you never know what might be lurking in the void of space. But mere armour was not enough. Armour can be broken. Hypothetical enemies could target weak points for massive damage.
It was, therefore, a massive relief to the entire swarm when the KARPAR Field phenomenon was discovered. Generated by newly discovered Synthetic materials, a KARPAR Field is essentially inpenetrable by all high-energy substances- bullets and lasers alike bounce off, explosions wash over it harmlessly. There were a few flaws, however. Firstly, the KARPAR Field is bi-directional, meaning whilst the enemy cannot shoot in, you cannot shoot out either. Secondly, the Field itself is not invincible, and requires large amounts of power in order to stay coherent. Thirdly, most propulsion systems rely on ejecting high-energy substances; a ship entirely surrounded by a KARPAR Field could only move at a crawl, or need to create potentially exploitable holes in the Field to stick the engines through.
Despite these flaws, development of KARPAR Field technology was fast-tracked- though initially fields could only be generated on microscopic scales, the method of generating fields capable of surrounding large spaceships would soon be found.
-Nuke's Design

Quote from: Design 4
[OUR] (GISG) <Repulsion> Gen A.1.0

Our Gravity Inverse Spike Generator "Repulsion", Generation A, Version 1.0.

The Repulsion is similar in design to the Queen's Will in its use of gravitational field manipulation through the clever use of Boreholes.  The Repulsion is designed as a defensive measure, one that creates an "inverse" gravity well, which sticks upward out of the surface of spacetime.  The GISG sits atop this plateau, along with whatever ship it's attached to.  Missiles and other projectiles that attempt to reach the Repulsion shield generator must travel "uphill" through the gravity field, likely being deflected around the side of the spike or being turned away before ever reaching the point.  Even light weapons such as lasers will be at worst bent away from the starship, and at best dispersed widely over the target area.  The Repulsion has the added bonus of increasing the acceleration of fightercraft and projectiles deployed from the starship through gravitational acceleration.  Due to the gravitational effects on light, incoming light becomes polarized and experiences several milliseconds of delay.

-evictedSaint's Design, again
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 07:00:03 pm by evictedSaint »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2018, 07:06:39 pm »

If you come up with a synthetic element for something, it's perfectly fine to name it. Actually helps if you do anything later along the line to cheapen it, or you use it in a different application.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2018, 07:20:20 pm »

Quote from: VoteBox
Designs:
Queen’s Will: (5 Dice, +1 on Progress and Cost) (2) SC, Evictedsaint
Queen’s Glory: (5 Dice, +1 on Progress and Cost) (2) SC, Evictedsaint

Quote from: Psionic/Fusion Reactor Hybrid?
  [OUR] (PGCR) <“Queen’s Glory”> Gen A.1.0

The Psionic Gestalt Consciousness Reactor is a potent energy source that comes in the form of a fusion reactor.  The impossibly volatile nuclear reaction is microcontrolled by the magnetic containment field through the psychic link between nearby Hivers.  Through this manipulation the miniature sun is enabled to react the most efficient and complete way possible in order to ensure the highest level of output with the lowest level of waste.  The incredibly complex calculations required to manipulate the magnetic bottle in this way is off-loaded to the mostly unused mental capacity of lower drones, relying on their collective consciousness and neural processing power to perform these minute adjustments.

The psychic consciousness is directly linked to the reactor and acts as a complex multi-processor that affects the rate of energy production.  This optimization scales with the size of the psychic consciousness connected to it.  An entire colony, for example, might be able to increase the efficiency of a fusion reactor up to 100%, while a ship-sized crew might operate at closer to 25-50%.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 08:02:14 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2018, 09:11:13 pm »

Designs:
Queen’s Will: (5 Dice, +1 on Progress and Cost) (3) SC, Evictedsaint, DGR
Queen’s Glory: (5 Dice, +1 on Progress and Cost) (3) SC, Evictedsaint, DGR

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 09:12:46 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2018, 12:06:10 am »

Designs:
Queen’s Will: (5 Dice, +1 on Progress and Cost) (4) SC, Evictedsaint, DGR, Sarrak
Queen’s Glory: (5 Dice, +1 on Progress and Cost) (4) SC, Evictedsaint, DGR, Sarrak
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2018, 03:41:56 am »

Designs:
Queen’s Will: (5 Dice, +1 on Progress and Cost): (5) SC, Evictedsaint, DGR, Sarrak, NUKE9.13
Queen’s Glory: (5 Dice, +1 on Progress and Cost): (5) SC, Evictedsaint, DGR, Sarrak, NUKE9.13

Sure, this works.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 24