Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27

Author Topic: The Liir Biocollective Empire Thread | Liir | GalactiRace  (Read 26666 times)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
The Liir Biocollective Empire Thread | Liir | GalactiRace
« on: May 20, 2018, 12:42:40 pm »

Core Thread

Discord

For the moment, you are in a state of Tabula Rasa. The only defined fact about your empire is that you exist, everything beyond that is as yet to be determined. Before designs begin, you need to make three important choices that will last until the end of the game.

1. You must choose the Species of your Empire.
2. You must choose the name of your Empire.
3. You should choose the name of your Homeworld. Your Homeworld is located at Golf

Spoiler: Galactic Map (click to show/hide)

Don't feel too bound by the political fluff at the end of each race description, it's entirely possible that, for you, it's incorrect. Your race could have taken a different path, and the only real things that matter are your physiology and mechanical bonuses.

Up until you make a post in this thread, you may view the other team threads freely. If you want to switch after that point, shoot me a PM and we'll see.

Spoiler: Racial Options (click to show/hide)

One particular point that I would like to reinforce. You are not bound to realistic technology, and what species you pick does not have to have any bearing on your technology. Maybe the aliens that nearly killed-off humanity had kick-ass bioship technology that the humans reverse-engineered and repurposed. Maybe the Morrigi got so fed up with their ancestor's reliance on technology that they ended up relying on forgotten Gods and eldritch energy instead. Maybe the Tarka got really into focusing their Ki during martial exercises and now rely on space mecha that jujitsu enemy ships to death. Maybe the Hivers got cut of from the main hive and rely on cybernetics and advanced robotics to maintain a queenless Ronin culture. Maybe, in a truly bizarre twist, the Liir got a bit more militaristic than usual after their imprisonment and end up being the ones with railguns and power armor.

Please, for the sake of my sanity, do not all be conventional. Be distinct from one another, be bold, be daring. Take from your favorite fictions, whether they be Heinlein Sci-Fi or Lovecraftian horror. Take from anything that makes you fascinated, or filled with awe at the possibilities. Blend science and fancy, reality and fiction, and create something interesting. I will probably hammer this point again when we begin the design phase.

While we're here...

Event 1: Who are you?
Yea, slimy things did crawl with legs;
Upon the slimy sea

Where did you come from? Where do you see yourself going? How do you wish to end? These questions can be asked of men, but they can also be asked of Empires. Your empire is motherless and fatherless, and any who would lift a finger to aid you are either too far away, have gratefully forgotten you, or are dead. Whether you have pulled yourselves up to the stars from humble beginnings, or are a fallen colony from a once mighty empire, you are at the precipice of a new beginning.

How did you come to this new beginning, and what sacrifices did you have to make along the way? What are your strengths and your glories, what are the landmarks you've writ large upon your world, and what are the beliefs that drive your people? What are the mistakes that your cultures have made on their rise to the stars, what are the horrors lurking within your histories, and what are the great fears that will scourge you to claim the stars at any price?

Along with the great questions, you should also share with me bits and pieces of daily life and routine. Stories that aren't grand, but that still define you. Show me who you are. Be interesting, be different, and write yourself a good canvass to work from in the future.

The empire with the most interesting, thought-provoking, and unique entries will get to have 10 dice per turn for one turn beyond the 7 introduction years. After the race and name of each empire has been decided, you may begin posting submissions into the core thread. You can have as many submissions from as many people as you like, but submissions should be mutually consistent with one another, each submission must be made into the core thread to be considered, and each MUST carry the Empire's name as a header.

Your Tech Sheet
Here

Your Empire Planner
Here

2.0 Version Here
Login: LiirTeam
Password: 1Fish2FishRedFish
« Last Edit: April 14, 2019, 12:35:22 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Empire 2 Thread | GalactiRace
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 12:57:10 pm »

Going to join empire 2 I guess.
I want to play Liir. I love Biotech.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 12:58:40 pm »

Going to join empire 2 I guess.
I want to play Liir. I love Biotech.
+1 let's make our mutant soldiers.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 01:02:51 pm »

Lets we need a name, a homeworld name and a race. So lets see...
Race:
Liir(1): Frostgiant,

Empire name:
The Liir Biocollective(1):Frostgiant

Homeworld name:
Hemliiranc(1): Frostgiant

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 01:06:43 pm by frostgiant »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 01:15:23 pm »

Race:
Liir(2): Frostgiant, Doomblade

Empire name:
The Quiteted Tide(1): Doomblade

Homeworld name:
Drailling(1): Doomblade

I want stealth soldiers. I want them bad.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 01:28:44 pm »

Race:
Liir(3): Frostgiant, Doomblade, Rockeater

Empire name:

Homeworld name:
Drailling(1): Doomblade

Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 02:01:48 pm »

We're finally doing catgirl assassins. And it will be glorious.

Race:
Liir(4): Frostgiant, Doomblade, Rockeater, FallacyofUrist

Empire name:
The Liir Biocollective(2):Frostgiant, FallacyofUrist

Homeworld name:
Drailling(2): Doomblade, FallacyofUrist
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 02:08:16 pm »

To follow the apparent naming scheme of the Liir, (see Suul'Ka), I suggest something sounding a bit different from the other Homeworld suggestions.

Race:
Liir(5): Frostgiant, Doomblade, Rockeater, FallacyofUrist, Nakéen

Empire name:
The Liir Biocollective(3):Frostgiant, FallacyofUrist, Nakéen

Homeworld name:
Vaal'Lara(1): Nakéen

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 02:14:07 pm »

Race:
Liir(6): Frostgiant, Doomblade, Rockeater, FallacyofUrist, Nakéen, Jerick

Empire name:
The Liir Biocollective(3):Frostgiant, FallacyofUrist, Nakéen
The Muur Chorus (1): Jerick

Homeworld name:
Vaal'Lara(2): Nakéen, Jerick
Well we're clear on the race at least. This should be fun.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 02:17:52 pm »

Chorus... cetaceans... Changing vote for the Empire name!

Race:

Empire name:
The Liir Biocollective(2):Frostgiant, FallacyofUrist
The Muur Chorus (2): Jerick, Nakéen

Homeworld name:
Vaal'Lara(2): Nakéen, Jerick

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 03:17:51 pm »

Tie breaking
Race:

Empire name:
The Liir Biocollective(3):Frostgiant, FallacyofUrist, Rockeater
The Muur Chorus (2): Jerick, Nakéen

Homeworld name:
Vaal'Lara(3): Nakéen, Jerick, Rockeater
[/quote]

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 03:40:59 pm »

For the Event1 stuff, is it okay if we post several and choose which one we want to keep?

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2018, 03:42:54 pm »

For the Event1 stuff, is it okay if we post several and choose which one we want to keep?

It's only entered until it's posted in the core thread, so you're free to bounce around ideas in your own thread as much as you wish, then select the best.

While you're pretty clearly Liir, and you're probably the most decided faction in other categories, you've got some more time to work out the rest of the kinks. If you're the discord using type, the discord has been set up here. I would still STRONGLY encourage you keep a good amount of discussion in the thread in order to keep it coherent for newer joins.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2018, 03:44:43 pm »

Thanks for the fast answer Draignean.

Alright then, I got several ideas lined up and will be sharing them to you fellow of the Liir Biocollective in a few hours once I get home.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 05:25:56 pm »

Quote from: Backstory Proposal
The old sing of the time before the starfall. They sing of loud, merry songs. They sing of prosperous, warm waters and plentiful fish. But then the star fell from the black ocean of stars above, burning as it flew across the above waters. It broke apart as it fell splashing into our sea. Fire swept the surface. Shockwaves pulsed through the waters as fragments of the great ship slammed into the sea floor. Songs fell into silence in the wake of this cataclysm. Currents grew still and the waters grew cold. Stillness and death spread forth from one fragment of the fallen star. Anything that swam close would die.

We could have given up and waited for everything to die. We were faced with things beyond our comprehension. None would have blamed us. But it is not in our nature to surrender. We searched for an answer in the wreckage of the great ship. Spurred by necessity we learned so much in such a short period of time. We learned how to craft and wield complex tools based on parts of the fallen starship. We learned much about technology from it. We learned how to craft pieces of the fallen ship into suits that would allow us to survive to approach the great ship's reactor. We sealed the breaches that were leaking radiation into our waters.

It was much too late, already much damage had been done. So much life had been replaced with stillness. The ecology of our great oceans were collapsing. But it is not in our nature to surrender. Once again our destroyer was also our salvation. The secrets of the star ship opened doors to technologies and techniques to alter and adapt living things. Ten thousand Liir minds set to work on fixing what had been broken. Ten thousand songs sang into the depths, a choir of hope. However, the secrets left us by the builds of the great starship were insufficient. We ceased being students and forced to be discoverers and inventors. In order to save our waters, our homes we surpassed the ship builders in biotech. Through the efforts of our entire civilisation, we were successful. Our water's ecology was stabilised. We had reversed the damage the great ship had done to our oceans and learned much in the process.

We sing loud and merry songs again. We sing of prosperous, warm waters and plentiful fish. But that is not all. Now we sing of the black ocean of stars. We know now that there is something swimming up there. We do not their attitudes towards us or if we will even meet the shipbuilders. But we studied the great ship. Now we know how to swim the void. The Liir have sung about the depths of the oceans for millennia. But today the Liir sing of the sky.
This is my backstory proposal. As you may have noticed it dumps standard StoS lore completely. (I know Frostgiant is working on his own that sticks much closer to StoS lore)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27