Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interest Check: Demons  (Read 748 times)

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Interest Check: Demons
« on: August 22, 2019, 09:58:01 pm »

I am heading back to school in a few days, so naturally, this is the perfect time to start another forum game.

As usual, the players will control a demon. This time though, I am thinking about doing a couple of changes. Specifically, I am thinking of making a rule that limits the number of actions you can take each turn.

A refresher on the normal mechanics. You have physical power and mental power, which serve as your stats and your life. You can gain and lose them in a variety of ways. You also have traits, which are boosts or penalties for specific actions or scenarios

You would probably start with three or four actions, and gain more as your power level increases. You would also get one action per hero character, and maybe some free actions.

What do people think of this? Is there any interest in another demon quest? And does anyone have any other thoughts or requests?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interest Check: Demons
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 05:49:42 am »

I'm interested.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Kakaluncha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 10:34:22 am »

Sounds like an interesting concept
Roll to Hunger Games teached me one thing, to have initiative.
Roll to Planet teached me that writing and developing original ideas is really fun.
Roll to Heist is a game that has teached me one single thing:

Time Travel. Is. Pain.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 04:25:49 pm »

So, in related news, I decided to completely redo my ideas for mechanics. As a demon, you will have two personal stats, plus traits. Your first stat is Power, which represents your raw power, both physical and mental. Every action costs varying amounts of power, but it can be gained back through acts of evil, through worship, through absorbing raw evil or souls...Power is both your health and a bonus to rolls. Multiple actions will split this bonus.

The second is Essence Points, which represent your sheer ability to shape reality to your will through malevolence and strength of will. They can be spent to improve a success or mitigate a failure.

Traits provide bonuses or penalties to certain rolls.

Other characters, monsters, and soldiers will have a couple of stats, probably just physical might and mental might, and traits. Resources will work the same as before - kept generic, with the occasional problem noted, like a village in the middle of plains not having access to a lot of good steel for weapons. Rare or important resources like magical gems will be tracked separately.

Any thoughts? Preferences for this versus other ideas?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 12:55:55 pm »

It sound interesting. I’m interested

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interest Check: Demons - Game has started!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 11:34:20 pm »

First post is up for anyone who wants to play.