Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27

Author Topic: The Liir Biocollective Empire Thread | Liir | GalactiRace  (Read 27028 times)

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Liir Biocollective Empire Thread | Liir | GalactiRace
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2018, 12:31:55 pm »

Telepathic Node Organ:

The telepathic node comes from years of research into the brain of the Liir, more specifically, the part of the brain that allows the Liir to access the song.
This organ is meant to be implanted in any form of bio organism and create a form of artificial song, connected to Liir commanders through the use of a Highly Specialized Nexus that The commanders connect to. This allows the Commanders to guide and control less intelligent life that has been implanted with the organ, Such as bioships and Land beasts.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 12:35:43 pm by frostgiant »

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2018, 12:36:41 pm »

Quote from: Advanced Bio Modification
Altering DNA even in fully developed creatures is surprisingly simple. To alter DNA it is possible to inject a CRISPR variant protein into the target. This protein will precisely target a specific sequence of DNA removing it and replacing it with a copy of an attached payload of DNA. In effect this will allow us to swap genetic sequences in target organisms easily and effectively. DNA determines how effectively a cell preforms it functions. DNA is not the be all and end all of biology however.

Forming bodies are very susceptible to alteration. The proteins a stem cell encounters determines what kind of cell it will become. What cell it becomes changes the proteins it releases in turn effecting the next layer of stem cells. In normal biology a forming organism is a self assembling, self correcting blueprint. We can hijack this process by growing organisms in artificial wombs that inject generated proteins into the correct areas at the correct times causing an organism to form that could not form naturally.

Finally a lot of what makes cells tick are the cell organelles within them. Some organelles such as the mitochondria which produces energy for the cell are completely unaffected by changes to the cells DNA and function similarly to a secondary symbiotic organism within the cell. With advanced protein synthesis we can assemble self replicating protein structures that replicate when the cell they are inserted into divides. This will allow us to design many protein structures which will allow us to add new functions and capabilities to cells.

Combined these advancements should enable far more advanced modification and manipulation of living organisms
I think we should start by improving our bio manipulation capabilities as it feeds in to everything we wish to do.

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Empire 2 Thread | GalactiRace
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2018, 01:21:40 pm »

Entry
1. Jerick's submission (1): Jerick
2. Frostgiant's Submission (1):Frostgiant
3. Nakeen's submission (1): Nakéen

Design Plan:
Telepathic organ (6 Dice) and advanced biological manipulation (4 dice) (1) : Frostgiant

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Empire 2 Thread | GalactiRace
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2018, 01:31:22 pm »

Entry
2. Frostgiant's Submission (1): Frostgiant
3. Nakeen's submission (2): Nakéen, Doomblade
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 02:38:53 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2018, 03:10:14 pm »

Entry

Design Plan:
Telepathic organ (6 Dice) and advanced biological manipulation (4 dice) (2) : Frostgiant, Nakéen

For the next years, I think we should take the time to develop at least two materials.
The first could be a pure biomaterial, relatively cheap while retaining good defensive properties. This material could be then used for cheap bioships.
The second could be a "composite biomaterial", incorporating elements very hard to synthesize through biomanipulation but easier to produce through other means. That one would be more expensive to produce but would boast exceptional defensive properties. This material would be used for our key/elite ships.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2018, 03:48:05 pm »

Entry

Design Plan:
Telepathic organ (6 Dice) and advanced biological manipulation (4 dice) (3) : Frostgiant, Nakéen, Jerick

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2018, 07:17:17 pm »

The Blood Song
they come their things think they bleed they make us suffer
--Errant songs from the enemies of the Liir Collective.

The Liir, we communicate with each other. the song is lilting, bellowing, beautiful. It hurts me to twist it. To break it down to its fundamental blocks and bring change to it. I have changed/corrupted/broken it, and with the pieces that I have brought into existence from the puss and blood that I have spilled, I place upon the rocks, the things, the unthinking and I made them think.

Well. I have not made them really think. They don't have thoughts, they don't ask questions, or do anything that thinking things really do. They are joined by Blood to a Thinker, big or small, stupid or smart, and they are a piece of that Thinker until they are disconnected or dead. Do you understand what I have made? I have made Slaves and Janissaries out of tools and weapons.

My Slaves will toil while the Liir thinks for them, and my Janissaries will wage war while the Liir is free to think for them.

The Blood Song is a series of neural nodes, implanted through biochemical processes and attached to a variety of communication methods depending on who is communicating to the Slave/Jannissary. This organ is directly stolen and corrupted from the original Liir Song organ and is an altogether crude and awkward copy of it, modified for the purposes of allowing an individual to control another organic creature through the song.

Entry
2. Frostgiant's Submission (1): Frostgiant, Blood_Librarian

Design Plan:
Telepathic organ (6 Dice) and advanced biological manipulation (4 dice) (3) : Frostgiant, Nakéen, Jerick
The Blood Song (6 Dice) and advanced biological manipulation (4 dice) (1) :Blood_Librarian
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2018, 07:37:56 pm »

Entry
2. Frostgiant's Submission (3): Frostgiant, Blood_Librarian , Doomblade
3. Nakeen's submission (1): Nakéen,

Design Plan:
The Blood Song (6 Dice) and advanced biological manipulation (4 dice) (1) :Blood_Librarian
Doomblade said he was changing back to my entry in the discord.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2018, 08:58:40 pm »

Entry
2. Frostgiant's Submission (2): Frostgiant,  Doomblade
3. Nakeen's submission (2): Nakéen, Blood_Librarian

Design Plan:
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2018, 11:41:53 pm »

Entry
2. Frostgiant's Submission (2): Frostgiant,  Doomblade

Design Plan:
Telepathic organ (6 Dice) and advanced biological manipulation (4 dice) (4) : Frostgiant, Nakéen, Jerick, Rockeater
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2018, 04:07:42 am »

Entry
1. Jerick's submission (0):
2. Frostgiant's Submission (3): Frostgiant,  Doomblade, Jerick

Design Plan:
Telepathic organ (6 Dice) and advanced biological manipulation (4 dice) (4) : Frostgiant, Nakéen, Jerick, Rockeater
Breaking ties and adding links.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2018, 04:19:27 am »

And so it is!

frostgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2018, 08:37:50 am »

Ok! sweet we have a backstory entry.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2018, 10:44:49 am »

Entry
1. Jerick's submission (0):
2. Frostgiant's Submission (2): Frostgiant, Jerick
3. Nakeen's submission (3): Nakéen, Blood_Librarian, Doomblade

Design Plan:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 11:16:34 am by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2018, 11:51:17 am »

Telepathic Organ
[Time: 4 (4,3) Progress: 3 (3,2) Cost: 3 (3,3)]
The song must be shared carefully, not because it is a jealously guarded secret, but because it has its own burdens. One most share the burdens of the singers, and be able to give up your own burdens freely. Though this weaving is designed to primarily create a receiver of the song, a listener, it is still a delicate proceeding. Though every step to freedom must be taken, we should not shackle all around us without thought or remorse.

Telepathic Organ: 0/10 [2] | 175 Organics + 20 Metals +100 Energetics   | Rushed 0 Times | Nothing Invested

Prototype
[Efficacy: 3]

The organ itself is a success in moderation. It functions as a biological control structure that can be integrated into organisms we create going forward, but there are drawbacks. The more precise control the controller wants to exert, the more they have to blend their song with that of the system. Not only is this a difficult process in the case of simple organisms, it also makes the operator vulnerable to fear, pain, and any other senses of the organism itself. While an operator is unlikely to be seriously harmed using organs on a 1:1 basis, attempting to maintain detailed control of multiple subjects risks psychological trauma and neural damage.

While the organs themselves are small enough that they shouldn't require an inordinate amount of space, the control nexus is something else. As the song from the organs is faint, the nexus is required to interface with the organs unless a skilled psionic is in immediate proximity to the organ. The Nexus isn't the most advanced structure, and does little to mitigate the filtering issues that can injure commanders who psychically overextend themselves, but it is functional.

Telepathic Organ: Can be integrated into biological creations of at least Liir size |  Allows a telepathic creature interface and control of the connected biological system. There are few filters or aids within the device, and direct, precise control requires a dangerous level of mental blending. This risk multiplies with the number of such controls one is trying to maintain.

Telepathic Nexus:  | 200O 50M 100E 0S | Capacity -18 | Power -45 | A hub to search for and control nearby telepathic organs, designed to be mounted into an interstellar vessel. Provides a ship with limited Command and Control capability. It may also be used to control drones, but not both at the same time. It still exposes the controller to all the vulnerabilities of the telepathic organs themselves. The first Nexus provides 20 CNC points, the next on the same vessel provides 10, then the next 5, and no additional effect will be had after that.

Advanced Bio Modification
[Time: 4 (4,2) Progress: 2 Cost: 2]
Excellence requires experimentation, and experimentation requires resources. Though the singers take their time with the project, it is from reverence to the subject- not tardiness. This is the secret of life and death, of the harmony between all things Misunderstand those secrets, and you'll do harm with every good intention.

That, at least, is the poetical explanation for the amount of resources the project wants to eat.

Advanced Bio-Modification: 0/7 [2] | 300 Organics + 100 Energetics   | Rushed 0 Times | Nothing Invested

Prototype
[Efficacy: 3]
The weave doesn't always give up her secrets easily, but our efforts will yield fruit. While we have no particular goals set in mind, this project will expand the skill and precision with which we can genetically alter organisms and grow our own. Such knowledge is not perfect, but it never is. There is a long road ahead, but we can now reasonably expect to be able to grow our own organisms without risking catastrophic failure. Elaborate modifications will still be difficult, but within our grasp.

Revision Phase of Year -6

Resources
Dice: 0
T: 0 + 2500
O: 0 + 7500
M: 0 + 7500
E: 0 + 5000
S: 0 + 500

Spoiler: Active Projects (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 08:51:30 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27