Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37

Author Topic: The Gaian Regime Empire Thread | Terrans | GalactiRace  (Read 43287 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Empire 3 Thread | GalactiRace
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 03:04:18 pm »

That seems like a huge waste to me when we’re explictly being given all of this space to work with and being encouraged to use it well.
+1. Being the generic evil dudes is boring.

Anyway, I'd accept being either that group of surviving and probably very angry racers or the Gaia Regime. What do other people think?
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 03:34:24 pm »

So. Racers isn't a bad idea, but is a bit too "silly" in my opinion. Evil just sounds... eh.

So, going with the empire theme (yes I know it's only supposed to help with picking an empire at first but I'm sticking with it), I want something more fitting with that theme. Something about exploration, or discovery. Being lost in space -- like in the Racers concept -- is a good start.

The Terran Nomads ((new name super super super appreciated, thanks))
Earth was a diamond in the rough. It was a paradise among the stars that housed and nurtured us humans as we grew and matured. Blue oceans, endless green plains and forests filled with wildlife.
Now, looking back, we can know that we took it for granted. As we venture through the galaxy alone, we can truly appreciate the value of a paradise lost.

We still don't know what happened. We just saw debris. Debris of the planet that nurtured us for millennia.
What matters is that it's gone, and we'll never see the wonders it held again. The first successful and now only Terran expedition sent before the loss of Earth, we're now burdened with its legacy. Even as we settled our new "homeworld", we were solemnly aware of the fact that we and our descendants would only ever see Earth in memories.
It was difficult, getting to Lima. Our ships were the first of the human race to succesfully use Bore drives. They weren't equipped to travel the vast distances to the next planet. For decades, we lived on our ships coming in and out of cryosleep as our top engineers continued devoting their lives to modifying and continuously improving the drives to get to our new home. It was desperate, but as the remnants of Earth and the Terrans we knew we had a duty to survive, and our jury-rigged ships Bored to our new home after 23 years spent lost in space.

Today, despite it only ever being seen by our distant ancestors, we still mourn Earth. But we've changed. We know that someone, some race, out there in the galaxy is responsible for the murder of Earth and our duty as the legacy of Earth obligates us to enact justice. We have our cities built around the ships that originally brought us here, housing millions of citizenry eager to uphold their Legacy and enact Justice. Our warships, built using the designs the engineers of the original Voyage created as they kept their ships running, will bring these citizens to those responsible for Earth's fate. Our weaponry, built from memory of the wondrous technology of an Earth long gone, will be the tools we use to finally bring Justice to the galaxy.

Still need a homeworld name and a better empire name, and there's a lot to elaborate, but what do people think of this concept?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2018, 03:40:39 pm »

Good to see some discussion beyond just race start to develop.

While you should work on getting your full set of answered settled up, you've got some more time to work out the rest of the kinks. If you're the discord using type, the discord has been set up here. I would still STRONGLY encourage you keep a good amount of discussion in the thread in order to keep it coherent for newer joins.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2018, 03:44:10 pm »

It’s not bad, although yeah it could definitely use some flavor of its own — if the SRS doesn’t end up getting traction I’ll probably try to contribute.

If the SRS does get picked, though, I actually do have a couple entries planned to give it a bit of weight so it ISN’T just silliness — like an entry of one racer reflecting on the fact that everything he thought he knew was gone, even as he zips through space on his ship... but that in a twisted way, that grievous loss has given him a new wind. This idea that with their home gone, all the SRS has is to see what there is to see, experience what there is to experience and, yes, to go fast as they do so. This idea that their world has been reduced and expanded at the same time — Earth, and its long history, gone, but the world expanded to be literally nothing but new possibilities, nothing but a wide expanse to be plumbed, an organization so seemingly unfit for becoming a civilization given no choice but to get itself together and to plunge headfirst into the void, that exploratory, thrill-seeking drive being simultaneously the only thing they have to hold onto and their drive into the future.

That’s what I like about the Stellar Racers’ Society.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2018, 03:48:17 pm »

It honestly still seems "silly" in my opinion.
Maybe "silly"'s the wrong word. "B-Movie-ish"? I dunno. I won't be devastated if we go with that one, but I prefer the Nomad thing ((pls give new name)) over it.
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2018, 03:50:15 pm »

Heh, sure, I’ll give you that one. I’ll see what other people think, and if they agree I’ll put together a middle ground between yours and mine, that is a bit more serious but still contains some of the elements of mine.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2018, 03:53:59 pm »

instead of nomads, we could call ourselves the Exodants? Or the Pilgrims? How about the Wayfarers?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2018, 03:54:42 pm »

I'm fine with any of those. Whatever you/others prefer.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2018, 03:57:02 pm »

The name I had in mind for the middle ground was “Society of Explorers and Colonists”, since I do like this paradoxically optimistic kind of idea more than the Quarian-esque (not that I’m saying you’re taking an idea from Mass Effect, I just thought it was a good comparison) lost-and-mourning homeworld-exiled type.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2018, 04:03:46 pm »

I'll do another draft that's a bit more optimistic -- not optimistic, but more so than the last one. I want to put some more emphasis on exploration. I like the Justice part, though I'll tone it down a bit probably.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2018, 04:23:01 pm »

I don't like the SpaceNomad idea, because it completely clashes with the game mechanics.

A big part of those is building planetary infrastructure.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2018, 04:25:27 pm »

It's... it's not actually space nomads.
Like, I get your criticism if we were actually nomads, but the "nomad" part is largely just referring to the backstory.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2018, 04:26:57 pm »

Oh right. I misread the cities around ships thing.

Still, I don't quite like it.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2018, 04:30:23 pm »

Should we throw up a votebox or give it a little while more? ...I'm gonna do it.
Quote from: Votes
Species: Terran (1): Powder Miner
Tarkan:

Name: Stellar Racers' Society (1): Powder Miner
Terran Nomads:
Terran Exodants:
Gaia Regime:

Homeworld: Recommencement (1): Powder Miner
Gaia:
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 05:04:14 pm by Powder Miner »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2018, 05:18:37 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Species: Terran (2): Powder Miner, Happerry
Tarkan:

Name: Stellar Racers' Society (1): Powder Miner
Terran Nomads (1): Happerry
Terran Exodants:
Gaia Regime (1): Happerry

Homeworld: Recommencement (1): Powder Miner
Gaia (1): Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 37