Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 37

Author Topic: The Gaian Regime Empire Thread | Terrans | GalactiRace  (Read 44130 times)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
Re: The Gaian Regime Empire Thread | Terrans | GalactiRace
« Reply #270 on: September 01, 2018, 01:40:11 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
Reversed Polarity: (1) Powder Miner
Auxiliary Quantum Computer: (0)
Weapons Bore Director: (0)
Guillotine Charges: (2) Happerry, Twinwolf
Bore Array Short-Sensor Nav: (4): TFF, Happerry, Chiefwaffles, Andrea
Improved Blink: (6) Andrea, Powder Miner, Kashyyk, Chiefwaffles, TFF, Twinwolf
Polarised Hulls: (1) Kashyyk

Keep GREAT's lore regarding indoctrination/service from birth: (1) 10ebbor10
Expunge (slash keep ignoring) GREAT's lore on that: (3) Powder Miner, Chiefwaffles, Twinwolf.

The indoctrination thing flies in the face of what we've got so far, pretty much. I'm fine with the service from birth bit - I'd already interpreted it in the way Kashyyk and others have, with societal pressure for service to the regime, it sort of being the expected thing, but not totalitarian "You are born to do this specific thing". I for one am not going to vote to invalidate a solid part of our lore. As stated this vote really isn't needed but if it's going to help us move on from this, fine.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 01, 2018, 06:31:47 pm »

Sorry for double post, but I think it's a valid break - posting for review and sanitization.

Berenice Vitali checked her uniform for the dozenth time. She knew, intellectually, that there wasn’t anything wrong with it, that her new bosses wouldn’t care - it was her first day for crying out loud.. She had earned this - a position at Gaia’s prime research and development laboratories. The position was proof she was among the best and brightest of a population that was in itself the best and brightest of human history. So, why was she practically shaking in her labcoat as she exited the car? Well, apart from the stress and fear she might not be up to the task, there was the riot.

She’d seen these on the news before, her father grumbling about how he had half a mind to pick up a picket sign himself while her mother was more concerned with how they were defacing the statues and fountains. She herself had no idea what to think - they were tampering with the fabric of the universe here and all she’d learned of physics screamed that they were screwing with things they shouldn’t, but in the name of humanity’s survival - if they didn’t do this, everyone was dead anyway, or so the story went. Whichever side was in the right, she was now in the middle of this week’s riot, with a Gaian R&D ID and a highly conspicuous labcoat.

For a few moments Berenice kept her head down and walked through the rioters unmolested, a few “pardon me”’s and “excuse me”’s going unnoticed with the crowd’s focus on the gates. It was only when she actually reached it and swiped her card for entrance, did the rioters notice an engineer in their midst. She felt a hand on her shoulder and felt her heart stop as she was turned around to face the angry rioter - but suddenly the hand was gone, and a massive figure, armor painted the deep purple of the Regime, pulled her through the gate as it pushed the man who’d grabbed her away. A canned message played over the figure’s speakers: “The Regime Command allows you to express your dissatisfaction. The Regime Command does not allow you to assault other members. Failure to cooperate will result in an appropriate duration of prison time and community service…” The message repeated a few times as more guards arrived and physically blocked the rioters from entering the grounds.

“T-Thanks,” Berenice stammered as she rushed off on her way, not waiting for a response and trying to calm herself. Alright, she was inside the compound. She patted down her coat, adjusted the glasses that had been knocked askew (these not actually for sight correction so much as sight enhancement), and continued on her way down the ornate stone path. Since the wall had gone up, they hadn’t been tampered with. She was walking among her heroes, the heroes of everyone on Gaia, those who had made the Expedition possible and those who had helped Gaia thrive. It was almost disorienting when she arrived at the distinctly normal reception desk manned by a bored looking man in clothes that wouldn’t look out of place in a bar.

“...Excuse me?” she asked distractedly as she looked around. It was very strange. There was a sort of ostentatious air to the building’s facade, soaring arches and windows into scenes of science far too blatant and security-breaching to be real - in fact a browse through old Earth media quickly showed that many such scenes were thinly veiled replicas with a Gaian coat of paint, not that any non-human observers would know that. They probably wouldn’t have even noticed that four different windows had the same bald, glasses clad man with a goatee playing with chemicals.

The inside, though, was distinctly utilitarian. Or… perhaps that was the wrong word. It had the look of practicality that places tended to get after they were destroyed and rebuilt for the thousandth time. Simple concrete, not even painted. Some plaster patch-jobs where something or other had chiseled a hole. The seats were all folding chairs, if comfortable looking ones. It looked like it might take eight people and an hour to pick up everything in the room and move it somewhere else. All polished to a mirror shine by the janitorial robots she saw picking through the room. The only particularly interesting thing was the tiny… borehole. Berenice tried to ignore her physicists instincts yelling at her that it was bringing on the death of the universe.

Beginning to get annoyed at how the receptionist had not acknowledged her presence, the new Gaian scientist and engineer (most in R&D were both, if usually specialized) rung the bell on the reception desk - a design largely unchanged from the days of Earth. The man started in his seat, and it was increasingly obvious he’d been asleep behind the sunglasses. “Mmgh, what, huh, yes?” the receptionist babbled as he straightened himself. “I mean, yes, how can I help you?”

Berenice gave him a glare and a frown, and showed her identification. This had sort of killed the awe she’d been feeling on her way in. “I’m new here…” she said, “Is there an orientation or something? Somewhere or someone I need to report to?”

Before the receptionist could respond, a tan man with a crazy mess of black hair in a labcoat stumbled in. “Gah, heck, you’re the newbie?” the man asked quickly, as he glanced over Berenice and then looked at a clipboard. “Doctor Vitali right?” Without even waiting for her to respond, he spun on his heel and lazily waved for her to follow. “C’mon, I’m supposed to give you a tour… sorry, was supposed to meet you at the gate, but ya know, riots.”

Berenice barely recognized that she’d been spoken to when she was rushing to catch up as he went on his way. “Y-Yes, I’m new. Berenice Vitali. I’m looking forward to working with you…”

“Doctor Amir Meinhardt. Gonna be your supervisor.” the man said. “So yeah, tour. Figure we’ll go spiral, outer sections first and work our way in.” Amir nodded to himself.

“Doctor Meinhardt-” Berenice began.

“Just call me Amir.”

“Amir. You seem… sorta distracted, if you don’t mind me saying.” she said, as they walked through a scene of Walter White creating something probably illegal in an immaculate laboratory.

“This is one of the outer rooms… most of them are just to assure the guys outside we’re doing something, but there’s nothing real happening in most of them.” Amir said, waving a hand through one of the holograms. Belatedly, he noticed the question. “...Oh. Been up all night. And last night. And the one before. Regime Command’s been making a bunch of demands, everyone’s working ‘round the clock.”

Berenice blinked. “Demands? Why?” she asked. R&D had always been important, but from class she knew that for the most part they put things out when they got around to it. Rarely did Regime Command make demands.

“Heck if I know. All I know is we’ve been getting asked to make some things, and getting all the resources we could ask for to do it. Where’d you think the guys outside came from?” Amir shrugged. The armored men were a new sight on Gaia. Her father had grumbled that the Regime must be worried about people turning on them, but apparently not…

“And the borehole development?” she asked. That was something she was a bit nervous about.

“Yep. Orders are a bit vague, but it boils down to getting us into fighting shape” Amir said, his tone serious. “I’m just as happy as anyone else for an excuse to kick physics around until it lets us do what we want, but… they’re asking for warships. A space navy.”

Berenice felt a chill down her spine. It had been peace since they reached Gaia. Honestly, it had been peace for the Expedition since they left Earth, and the Regime afterwards, whether the Command let people think that or not. Even when they reached the most hostile environments of their new home, rarely did they need new weapons, new armor. Never had they needed warships, while they focused on getting settled - such endeavors would divert resources from getting established and they couldn’t throw together anything that could put up a fight anyway. So why now? Were they simply well enough established that the Regime thought getting a self defense force on the line was a worthwhile investment, or…

“...I’ve picked an interesting time to join.” she said somberly. They had left the scenes R&D showed to the public, and were getting into the less fancy, more utilitarian environs of the facility proper.

“That you did.” Amir said, lighting a cigarette he’d produced from seemingly nowhere.

The next stop was the low-security bore-labs. Even if supposedly the less top secret and dangerous stuff went on here, things still seemed like they had been blasted or damaged - she saw another robot trying to sweep up some debris as another patched a hole in the wall in front of one such lab. “What caused-” she began, before Amir stuck out an arm to bar her way - something flashed past, crashing through a cleaning robot’s head and into the wall.

“Hey, hold it for a minute!” Amir called into the lab, before heading past. When Berenice looked at what had been buried in the wall it was a… ball?

“Aha! I win!” came a voice from the lab, and Berenice followed Amir inside. A pair of scientists were there, one with a shit-eating grin and the other with a dour glare.

“That can’t possibly be within the rules Kirk!” the dour one protested. “We’re supposed to be shooting them into the others goal, not into the cleaning bots!”

“And you’re not supposed to do the Portal trick to speed up the ball, Luke, but now you’re a stickler for the rules…” said the grinning one - Kirk.
Amir coughed, and the arguing scientists turned to him. “Gentlemen.”

“Amir.” they said in unison - now that she looked, Berenice could see they looked almost identical. Twins? “We were just running an… experiment, when it got a little out of hand…”

“What kind of experiment involves a winner?” Berenice asked. The twins looked at her, and she flushed. “Uh, Doctor Berenice Vitali. I’m new.”

“Ah.” they said at the same time. “We were testing to see how fast and precisely we could generate boreholes.” Luke answered.

“And we figured, why not make it a challenge, try to catch the ball as we do it. In a combat situation things are gonna be happening…” Kirk continued.

“...So you decided to play soccer with boreholes.” Amir finished for them.

“Isn’t that awesome?” they said in unison.

Berenice blinked. “But… can you really use this data?” she asked.

“What do you mean?” replied Kirk, frowning with thought.

“For one, we’re not in a vacuum, and we can’t turn off the gravity-” She paused, turning to Amir. “Can we?”

“I cannot confirm or deny that statement.” Amir said.

“So for the purpose of the discussion, no.” Berenice continued. “So that’s different than boring in space. Even if we were in a vacuum, you’re creating bores that go meters apart, not thousands of kilometers. If you want to test this sort of thing, wouldn’t the space facility be better?”
The scientists stared at her for a few moments. “...But it’s cool though.” Luke said.

“Is she one of those ‘think twice’ types?” Kirk questioned.

...Oh this was a wonderful first impression. “...I think the portal trick would count, if you’re trying to test like it’s a combat situation.” she said.

“Aha, told you!”

“But that still means I win!”

Amir and Berenice left the room quickly to continue the tour, and the new hire sighed in relief. “...Did I screw that up?”

“No, you’re right. They’re just fucking around with boreholes because they can.” Amir said. “But now they’re going to write down all the data they get anyway just to see if they can get anything from it to spite you, so we might salvage something from that.”

They continued through the facility, through more experiments (some more… real, than others), through a vacuum chamber for more bore-testing (spacesuits provided at each entrance - a spacewalk within Gaia’s atmosphere was certainly an experience). Berenice was getting overwhelmed at the sheer amount of science happening in the compound, and the sheer absurdity of half of it. She struggled to believe this was making progress, but in the last few years there had been a lot more coming out of R&D so there had to be something about it that worked.

They had reached a deeper part, come away from one display of an actually practical creation that Berenice had been incredibly curious about - it had seemed… incredibly familiar. A thought came to her mind. “Where are we getting the ideas for these things?” she asked Amir.

Amir frowned. “Hm… is your clearance high enough…”

“...Excuse me?” Berenice asked.

“I believe so, if barely. Come.” he said, dead serious. He led her down a couple of hallways, twisting turning and with many intersections as if it was designed to get any trespasser lost. Eventually, they came to a pair of oaken doors (oak had been one of the first earth trees planted in Rao and was often a very expensive decoration, although these doors looked recently installed). There was a plaque on it - O.M.E.P.

“What’s this…?” Berenice said, feeling as if she was being brought into something far too secret for her first day.

“The secret of where our grandest ideas come from.” Amir said seriously, nodding to himself. He pushed open the door, and Berenice followed…

...Into a normal looking lounge, with Gaian scientists studying screens with clipboards and pens and headphones. “...No seriously, what am I looking at.” she asked. She looked at what was on the screens - maybe they just wanted a comfortable think tank? But when she saw the screens they were playing… old sci-fi. They were all playing old sci-fi. Berenice was a nerd even among Gaians, she recognized the shows and films. Firefly, Red Dwarf, Star Wars and Trek… and in between bites of popcorn the scientists were taking notes. It began to dawn on her. “...You can’t *possibly* be serious. You can’t.”

“Welcome, Doctor Vitali,” Amir said, with a grin and a theatric bow, “To Gaian R&D’s ‘Official Media Engineering Program.’”
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 04, 2018, 02:57:26 pm »

In the century preceding the Expedition, Earth’s society had thrived. It was a new Scientific Revolution, a golden age of humanity. Death rates were down and the general quality of the human life was up thanks to advances in the fields of medicine, agriculture, and other things. However, undeniably the greatest and most important discovery of the century, and indeed in human history considering the path of the race, was Rajendra Rao’s discovery of boreholes and borespace. For the first time, interstellar travel was truly possible. Despite technology, Earth was at its limit. There were colonies on other worlds in the system, and the moon, but they were small and slow to grow. Man needed a new home, and with boreholes it wouldn’t take generations to reach them. It was another of Rao’s other inventions allowed humanity to find another world that would allow humans to continue their growth - the planet that would become known as Gaia. A global effort followed. Bore technology grew at a ridiculous rate, even with people coming out of the woodwork to discredit Rao and say it would prove the doom of the universe. From boreholes the size of a pin to the size of a coin and up and up, until, with national efforts behind each one, man could make bore-ships capable of going absurd distances in barely any time. At this point, there was a global goal. The expedition to Gaia, to survey it’s suitability for human habitation and lay the groundwork for the colony ships to follow.

It was one of few times in human history where Earth was more or less united to a common goal. They knew it was the preservation of the species, as Earth could not handle the growth of humanity forever. But they did not know just how right they were. The greatest scientists in every field were recruited, representatives of every nation on the great bore ships that would bear the expedition to their eventual destination. Rajendra Rao himself had meant to come, but was simply too old to survive the rigors of space travel, although his daughter Ishani Rao was one of the head boreologists and engineers keeping the ships primary feature running like clockwork, as well as several other scientists personally trained by the man. They would be the bearers of his legacy in the years to come

The Gaian Expedition was set to launch July 16th, 2187. The date and time were specifically chosen for historical significance and symbolism - the day the mission that landed men on the moon was launched. However, this was no Apollo 11. The global effort had produced boreships large enough that they had to be built in space, their pieces launched up to orbit be fit together at the (greatly expanded in the preceding decades) International Space Station and other, sister stations. In the end, there were four great Expedition-class boreships, and eleven lesser ships to support them and bring more manpower and supplies. They carried scientists, explorers, engineers, and their assistants, as well as a contingent of military or political representation from major contributing countries.

When the Expedition launched, it was with great fanfare. The 15 captains and 15 head scientists of the Gaian Expedition spoke to the world, dedicating the great adventure to the future of mankind and the strength of the human spirit, thanking them for their support and promising that they will return to tell of humanity’s upcoming second home. The rear admiral in charge of the military component was Rear Admiral Manuel Santiago, and Caylee Yun was the head of the scientists - both essential in the years to come. Then, they took their shuttles to the ships. Six hours later, at 12:00 PM Greenwich Mean Time, the Expedition launched, taking the hopes of humanity with them. The Expedition class ships generated their boreholes, big enough for themselves and the following smaller ships, and the men and women of the Expedition caught their last glimpse of Earth.

The trip through borespace was uneventful, if still perhaps stressful. The crew rotated, for the most part, in and out of cryo stasis in shifts to maintain the ships. In the infancy of bore technology, the ship had to make many jumps through borespace, taking time to recharge their drives in between jumps. This made a trip that may have been only a few years with modern technology take six. At about three fourths of the way, the Expedition sent the scout ship - faster and smaller than the main expedition, basically a boredrive with a crew compartment - Foray to report progress and then return.

When the Expedition arrived at Gaia, it was more beautiful than they could have imagined. For six months, preliminary observations and landings were made by the smaller ships, outposts for scientific research set up while the military had to keep the scientists safe from the fauna (and the flora, on one continent). For six months, the Expedition was a group of the happiest people alive, taking part in a historic and important event and for the first time in a long, long time, humanity was discovering things that were truly new.

And then it all came crashing down.

The Foray never returned. A garbled message came through the primitive bore-comms intended only for emergency communication between Earth and the Expedition. Earth is gone. Stay away. Do not come back. Live.

The Gaian Expedition was no longer a scientific endeavor. Now, it was a second Noah’s Ark. The Expedition ships were not supposed to land, initially - they had to come back to Earth and they would not be able to lift off from atmosphere. But, now that they were here to stay, the efficiency in unloading was more important. There was hot debate among the captains and scientists, as landing would mean accepting the message as truth. But eventually, practicality won out. As the lead ship, the Aphelion, touched down, humanity began to turn a scientific outpost into a colony.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 03:12:24 pm by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 04, 2018, 03:06:31 pm »

The arrival of the message was a tragic time. The target of the expedition was finally reached, the first truly habitable extrasolar planet found, and it offered geography and biology beyond the wildest dreams. A dream for any scientist, a paradise for any colonizer. But the news of the loss of Earth was devastating in the hearts and minds of the expeditioners. This wasn’t going to be their new home: it was going to be their only home.

Caylee Yun, the expedition leader in charge of operations kept the schedule of equipment to be disembarked, farms to be built, power plants to be deployed. Exploration parties were sent to scout the planet for favourable or useful location. People were kept busy, but that was it. Beyond immediate survival there was no plan, no way ahead. Morale started to sink dangerously low when people realized that no colonial fleet would ever arrive to use the massive infrastructure they were deploying. No journals existed anymore to publish the astonishing xenobiology, xenogeology and assorted xeno-papers. No letters from home, no coming back, no dear sons of wife. They were building an empty shell for a world that didn’t exist anymore. Depression set in, work rates dropped and suicides started. Chief scientist Yun was a brilliant scholar and a capable administrator, but this was way more than she could handle.

Enter the scene Rear admiral Manuel Santiago, chief of the fleet. He had a different vision of the matter: this wasn’t a science expedition anymore, nor it was a colony. It was a refugee camp, and they, the last of humanity, were at war. Mustering all the military discipline he could find, he discussed a plan with the captains of the other ships, then acted. He gathered all the colonists for a rousing speech. He rallied them for the task of rebuilding civilization, of growing strong and taking revenge for the fate of Earth. And for this, he proposed a plan, a vision to work toward, this being the first mention of the Aphrodite project. At the end, with the crowd cheering, he declared martial law to enact those reforms and muster all the resources of the colony toward the single goal of coming back home. So the regime was born.

While the times of actual martial law are long past, military still operates largely in parallel with the civilian administration. Local matters are run by elected officials. Roads, power, healthcare, food, research. All in civilian hands, as is legislation and justice. However, the executive is held by the council of Gaia, consisting of officers elected by the soldiers among their own higher ranks. Above all, the head of the council, analogous with the presidents or constitutional kings of old Earth. The council is composed of as many members as were the ships of the expedition, bearing the title of Captain, while their head is still called Rear Admiral. Among them, an empty seat is left for the single ship who went back to Earth, to relay the fatal message, and never returned. The power of this council is not unchecked: it needs to go through civilian organizations to actually enact decisions and soldiers are beholden to a constitution, but it is here that most planet wide decisions are made. This balance of powers is somewhat precarious, although an equilibrium was reached. The strongest binding force is the knowledge that any strong conflict could wipe out humanity.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 03:09:37 pm by andrea »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 04, 2018, 05:07:43 pm »

Bore Array Short-Sensors
[Efficacy: 3]
Modifying the Borenav's quantum computing system to automatically compute the hull offset is fairly simple- but the benefits are relatively small. Normal computers are quite sufficient to make these calculations at high speed during low-chaos scenarios, and in high-chaos scenarios the relative adjacency of the ship isn't all that important. BASS helps, but the improvements are not terribly significant.

Bore Shield 1.1: Synergizes with Bore Nav, providing a slight increase bore speed and interdiction resistance if both components are present.
Bore Nav 1.1: Synergizes with Bore Shield, providing a slight increase bore speed and interdiction resistance if both components are present.

Improved Blink
[Efficacy: 5]
Hornet blink-drive improvement for Gaian engineers has become a hobby akin to the hot-rodding of yore, with teams competing in a mostly friendly manner to one-up the time between aperture breach and gradient regeneration. The final prototype design, codename: Greased Lightning, is capable of a four second turnaround from opening an aperture to having a full gradient, and, unlike its primary (and slightly faster) competitor, its tendency to randomly explode is within the margin of acceptable error.

Introduction of the ability to mechanically move the Gravity Drive and synchronize such movement with the precise moment an aperture is in bloom leads to the development of what the engineers are calling the Drive Rotation Initiated Fast Teleport, or DRIFT, technique. Using this, an aperture can be generate with an apparent relative velocity to the equipped vessel. Combined with a greased lightning modification and a mild RCS burn, a Hornet shouldn't experience any extended period of vulnerability pre or post jump.

While the applications of DRIFTing are numerous, Gaian engineers seem to be oddly fascinated by its ability to allow for a Hornet to take turns without losing speed. They're also lobbying for the creation of a manned civilian production line of Hornet, for 'sporting' events.

Hornet 1.1: The Blink mechanism for gravity drives is optimized with additional space to overcharge the gravity drive, as well as a mechanical system to induce a sudden shift during aperture formation. Together, these changes allow a hornet to make a Blink through an aperture with a greatly reduced time to aperture, and a reduced gradient recovery time. 

BOSS-E has auto-completed
Gravity Drive has auto-completed
Expedition-Class Battlestar Cruiser has auto-completed
Honey Drone has auto-completed
HOLI-COM has auto-completed

Design Phase of Year 1
Resources
Dice: 5
T: 16540 + 2500
O: 51800 + 7500
M: 51615 + 7500
E: 34440 + 5000
S: 3280 + 500

Spoiler: Active Projects (click to show/hide)

0T 120O 150M 85E 0S

Gaian Technology List
Gaian Empire Planner

« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 05:39:43 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 04, 2018, 08:38:46 pm »

Design Suggestion : MECHA-KRAKEN
Born from the most crazed dreams of engineers and scientists alike, as well as a healthy helping of movies so old they're in black and white, the MECHA-KRAKEN is now on the scene. This gigantic robotic beast is so huge, a single one is equal, no, more then equal, to an entire regiment of normal soldiers. It's vast mantle is made of 100% Pure Iron, just like a Jaeger, as well as an outer layer of protective bio-plastic armor. Within its meter thick armored mantle lies the central brains, fusion power core, storage bays, an internal autofactory complex capable of taking in material consumed by the MECHA-KRAKEN's all consuming beak and spitting back out expendable combat drones based upon the DEATH marine design. Or maintenance and repair parts, depending. And speaking of that beak, it lies in the center of the mantle, within all of the great mecha-tentacles the beast possesses, equipped with cutting saw edges, internal mouth tentacles with blowtorches, and everything else it needs to eat anything from enemy infantry to enemy tanks to enemy buildings and reduce them to useable resources.

Meanwhile, we must touch on the beast's tentacles themselves. Equipped with dozens of the things, each tentacle was designed by a different engineer, each seeking to outdo all the other engineers in effectiveness, applied firepower, and awesomeness quotient. So, basically, each one is a mobile blender of weapons close and long ranged, ranging from lasers to flamethrowers to plasma guns to experimental anti-matter bomblet launchers to Death Ray based particle cannons, as well as being physically powerful enough to just wrap around an enemy titan and pull it to pieces with some mild exertion.

To deal with the MECHA-KRAKEN's own weight, and to allow it to be land mobile, the construct has enough internal anti-gravity engines, often using the principles of the Bootstrap Engines, to optionally and selectively nullify enough of its own wieght as to be suprisingly speedy even out of the water, while if it is in the water a very large waterjet means it rams through the waves like... well, a multi-ton giant robot octopus-squid.

So order one today, and crush all your foes underneath the tentacles of a true Kaiju!

Quote from: Votebox
MECHA-KRAKEN (1): Happerry

Save two dice (1): Happerry
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 08:44:56 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 04, 2018, 11:53:00 pm »

With our five dice we don't actually have enough dice resources to both create a new design and to put forth the opening steps we need to put forward in order to start out strong. We want to get the armor finished, and we want to get the Hornet finished in order to be able to create a Production Pattern for the Expedition, which will help us juggle our resources for it, especially considering it's going to be our backbone. That right there is three dice -- bioplastic armor gets one, which will give us a purchasable prototype at the least and which may just finish it, hornets get one as a prerequisite to the expedition pattern, and the expedition pattern gets one, being a revision. Can't do all of that if we make a design, and it's my opinion that's more important than getting a new design this turn.

No new design (1): Powder Miner

1 die to Hornet (1): Powder Miner
1 die to Bioplastic Armor (1): Powder Miner

Save three dice (1): Powder Miner

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 05, 2018, 01:25:11 am »

No new design (2): Powder Miner,10ebbor10

1 die to Hornet (2): Powder Miner,10ebbor10
1 die to Bioplastic Armor (2): Powder Miner,10ebbor10

Save three dice (2): Powder Miner,10ebbor10
[/quote]

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 05, 2018, 08:07:30 am »

The Maths for the following plan can be found in the Empire Planner linked in Draig's turn post, under the tab "Maths". It does not use any Bioplastics, as the resource cost is variable. It assumes we can spend Production to produce Regiments (currently awaiting clarification by Draig)

By following our current Design plan (1 die each to Bioplastic and Hornet), then by producing two Production Plans (1 for Expedition-Class, 1 for a PaceMaster with BoreDrive). We have enough resources to produce:

7x Expeditions
2x BoreDrive-PaceMasters
6x BoreGate Forays
32x GREAT Infantry
6x Boreless PaceMasters

We will have the following remaining:
T: 7090
O: 41,655
M: 256.33...
E: 4,893.33...
S: 43.33...
Prod: 487.5
Dice: 1

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 05, 2018, 11:53:22 am »

We can send real fleets to 3 planets, and a token effort to the 4th.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 05, 2018, 08:47:37 pm »

No new design (3): Powder Miner,10ebbor10, Twinwolf

1 die to Hornet (3): Powder Miner,10ebbor10, Twinwolf
1 die to Bioplastic Armor (3): Powder Miner,10ebbor10, Twinwolf

Save three dice (3): Powder Miner,10ebbor10, Twinwolf
Sigtext!

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 07, 2018, 09:59:58 pm »

No new design (4): Powder Miner,10ebbor10, Twinwolf

1 die to Hornet (4): Powder Miner,10ebbor10, Twinwolf, TFF
1 die to Bioplastic Armor (4): Powder Miner,10ebbor10, Twinwolf, TFF

Save three dice (4): Powder Miner,10ebbor10, Twinwolf, TFF

Poll For Turn 1 combat music.
https://strawpoll.com/cg5f68cg

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 06, 2019, 09:54:59 pm »

Hornet
Progress: 15/13 (3) - Project complete!
Bioplastic Armor
Progress: 6/8 (3)

Revision Phase of Year 1
Resources
Dice: 3
T: 16540 + 2500
O: 51615 + 7500
M: 51465 + 7500
E: 34140 + 5000
S: 3280 + 500

Spoiler: Active Projects (click to show/hide)

Gaian Technology List
Gaian Empire Planner
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 07, 2019, 12:15:18 am »

As per the conversation about what design patterns we need, have some design patterns. Note that it is currently physically impossible to fit a speed 2 drive, either a eco-drive with a nav computer or the full sized version with a built in nav computer, and actually have enough power generation to power said drive and computer at this time, so the Cargomaster will need ferrying if it wants to jump out there... or it can just go grab a closer planet while the other bore-less ones get ferried farther out.

Pacemaster Design Pattern : Cargomaster
Hull : Pacemaster Modular Transport (Transport Destroyer): | 200T 300O 500M 150E 0S
2 Small Hardpoints, 25 Capacity, Can carry up to 4 regiments and attachments in combination
Components
1x - Eco-Bore Drive (70T 0O 100M 100E 20S | Capacity: -10 | Power: -60 | Speed 1)
1x - Perpetual Energy Borehole Generator (0T 0O 175M 80E 25S | Capacity: -8 | Power +65)
1x - Small "Shattergun" Magnetic Shrapnel Cannon (0T 25O 75M 25E 0S | Native to Small Mount | Capacity: -5 | Power: -4)
2 Remaining Capacity, 1 Remaining Power

Here's the cargo pattern. It has a bore drive, enough power to power said drive, and a single point defense gun to make enemies maybe take some damage before it explodes.

Expedition Design Pattern : Conquistador A
Expedition-class Battlestar Cruiser: | 200T 400O 2300M 1000E 120S
4 Small Hardpoints, 2 Large Hardpoints, 2 Medium Hangars, 1 Large Hangar, Built in Bore Drive, Built in Bore Shield, Built in PEB X4, 240 Capacity, +130 Power
Components
4x - Perpetual Energy Borehole Generator (0T 0O 175M 80E 25S | Capacity: -8 | Power +65)
1x D.E.A.T.H Marines (10O 35M 15E | Power: 12)
1x - BoreNav (20T 50M 100E 0S | Capacity -5 | Power -20)
5x - Gravity Drive (70T 0O 100M 125E 20S | Capacity: -10 | Power: -45)
1x - HOLLY-COM (50O 200M 50E 25S | Capacity -15 | Power -50) 45 Command Points
3x - Small "Shattergun" Magnetic Shrapnel Cannon (0T 25O 75M 25E 0S | Native to Small Mount | Capacity: -5 | Power: -4)
1x - Medium Wing Mk Ib Parasite Drone "Hornet" (Wing Size 40 | Wing Cost: (1T+2O+7M+7E+1S)*Wing Size | Capacity -20)
1x - Medium Wing Honey Drone (Wing Size 20 | Wing Cost: (2T+5O+10M+10E)*Wing Size | Capacity -20)
1x - Large Wing Mk Ib Parasite Drone "Hornet" (Wing Size 130 | Wing Cost: (1T+2O+7M+7E+1S)*Wing Size | Capacity -65)
1x - Large "Death Ray" Linear Particle Beam Accelerator (150T 0O 220M 100E 10S | Native to Large Mount | Capacity: -22 | Power: -40)
4 Remaining Capacity, 31 Remaining Power

This version of the Expedition maximizes speed and 'having a command component' in return for having only one death ray and 25% less point defense firepower. Personally I feel the additional speed works for a command ship and it's ability to run away while minions fight. After all, it still has a full hanger load. If people would prefer two medium Hornet wings over one Hornet and one Honey drone wing, the capacity is the same so that'd be an easy switch.

Expedition Design Pattern : Conquistador B
Expedition-class Battlestar Cruiser: | 200T 400O 2300M 1000E 120S
4 Small Hardpoints, 2 Large Hardpoints, 2 Medium Hangars, 1 Large Hangar, Built in Bore Drive, Built in Bore Shield, Built in PEB X4, 240 Capacity, +130 Power
Components
3x - Perpetual Energy Borehole Generator (0T 0O 175M 80E 25S | Capacity: -8 | Power +65)
1x D.E.A.T.H Marines (10O 35M 15E | Power: 12)
1x - BoreNav (20T 50M 100E 0S | Capacity -5 | Power -20)
4x - Gravity Drive (70T 0O 100M 125E 20S | Capacity: -10 | Power: -45)
4x - Small "Shattergun" Magnetic Shrapnel Cannon (0T 25O 75M 25E 0S | Native to Small Mount | Capacity: -5 | Power: -4)
1x - Medium Wing Mk Ib Parasite Drone "Hornet" (Wing Size 40 | Wing Cost: (1T+2O+7M+7E+1S)*Wing Size | Capacity -20)
1x - Medium Wing Honey Drone (Wing Size 20 | Wing Cost: (2T+5O+10M+10E)*Wing Size | Capacity -20)
1x - Large Wing Mk Ib Parasite Drone "Hornet" (Wing Size 130 | Wing Cost: (1T+2O+7M+7E+1S)*Wing Size | Capacity -65)
2x - Large "Death Ray" Linear Particle Beam Accelerator (150T 0O 220M 100E 10S | Native to Large Mount | Capacity: -22 | Power: -40)
2 Remaining Capacity, 17 Remaining Power

One less drive then the command ship in exchange for twice the death rays and an additional point defense gun. Should make a perfectly decent combat ship because it also has a full hanger load. If people would prefer two medium Hornet wings over one Hornet and one Honey drone wing, the capacity is the same so that'd be an easy switch.

Revision : Digger-B Drones
Based on the Honey Drones that support our starships and the Bumble Drones that support our soldiers, Digger-B Drones have been adapted to serve as mining assistants and servitors, switching out their special engineering tools and flight packs for adaptations intended to better allow them to serve underground. Such as reinforced frames to deal with cave in, seismic sensors for navigation purposes, modifications to turn their wielding tools into mining tools, and so on. Each drone is equipped to individually burrow into the earth and plunder its riches, but when networked together is when they really shine, for working in one swarm they can carve out surprisingly immense hive nexuses from the earth. And, of course, draining said earth of all its riches as they go.
(This revision of our drones is intended to upgrade our mining stations and therefor our metal income.)

Edit : So reposting this from earlier in the Discord.

Bioplastic Construction
Bioplastic isn't as strong as the metal we make our ships with. But aside from the external hull and armour, do we really need that strength? Furniture, consoles, floors, walls, doors: most internal parts aren't actually loadbearing and can be replaced by cheaper bioplastic. With this switch in design, we can if needed save a significant quantity of metal in our ship production. Rugs are also provided due to widespread reports of foot injuries.

And now have a turnplan!

Quote from: Revision Dice Spending
Bioplastic Construction (1): Happerry
Make the Cargomaster Design Pattern (1): Happerry
Make the Galactica Design Pattern (1): Happerry
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 04:02:27 am by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 07, 2019, 04:33:36 am »

As the Failmaster is liable to spontaneous collapse if an enemy ship even flies near it, I don't think there's much worth in fitting a Shattergun to it. If it's got a target in range, the transport is already dead. I'd prefer to save the resources.

For ease, I'll also post the Galactica Pattern here.

Quote from: Revision Dice Spending (3 available)
Bioplastic Construction (2): Happerry, Kashyyk
Make the Cargomaster Design Pattern (1): Happerry
Make the CargoMaster B Pattern (1): Kashyyk
Make the Galactica Design Pattern (2): Happerry, Kashyyk
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 02:52:08 pm by Kashyyk »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 37