Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 37

Author Topic: The Gaian Regime Empire Thread | Terrans | GalactiRace  (Read 43971 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Empire 3 Thread | GalactiRace
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2018, 05:47:06 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Species: Terran (3): Powder Miner, Happerry, Kashyyk
Tarkan:

Name: Stellar Racers' Society (1): Powder Miner
Terran Nomads (1): Happerry
Terran Exodants (1): Kashyyk
Gaia Regime (2): Happerry, Kashyyk

Homeworld: Recommencement (1): Powder Miner
Gaia (2): Happerry, Kashyyk

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2018, 05:49:38 pm »

Species: Terran (3): Powder Miner, Happerry, Kashyyk
Tarkan:

Name: Stellar Racers' Society (1): Powder Miner
Terran Nomads (2): Happerry, Powder Miner

Homeworld: Recommencement (1): Powder Miner
wah, I want the Gaian Regime least of all, so I'll stack a second vote here...

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2018, 07:51:53 pm »

Guys, guys, you're all looking at this from the wrong angle:
Our racial advantage is Bore-Savants; we're literally digging our way across the stars!

And so I present to you... Ulengarkim... (Found a name! Still open to suggestions of course.) (And a first second draft at the fluff)

Ulengarkim (The Lost People)
The origin of our people is an old and strange tale.
Humanities first attempt at a Bore Drive that included actual colonists went both incredibly right and incredibly wrong. A freak accident, never to be created again, caused the drive to go off with incredible power; causing it to massively overshoot its destination, and yet by a stroke of immense fortune our ancestors arrived at a habitable, even if fairly mountainous planet.

Cut off from the rest of humanity, with the only real onboard entertainment being the maintenance team's favorite Game, those early years were hard on our ancestors; between the steep mountains, higher than normal gravity, and harsh storms that drove our ancestors to dig their cities into the mountains themselves. With little on board records of history and art; sacrificing those for technical manuals meant to allow our ancestors to set themselves up and establish communication and internet access; this offshoot of humanity was culturally shaped largely by this old Game.

Over the course of generations, a curious phenomenon occurred within the population of Mountainhome (Planet name, also Pending): Our ancestors grew shorter and shorter over every generation until they eventually became the dwarves we are today. It was at that point that our ancestors truly realized: That they were truly alone now. No longer a part of human civilization. That they must truly stand on their own to survive whatever may come tomorrow... We were a lost people; and such reflects in the name we have chosen for ourselves; Ulengarkim.

But while we were Lost our spirits were not crushed! In the years to follow industry bloomed. The Great Metalworks were erected to facilitate Ulengarkim's return to the stars... Other planets are out there, their resources ready to be extracted for the glory of the Mountainhome. A new chapter in the history of our people of Ulengarkim is about to begin... Strike the Earth!

So basically Space Dwarves.

Species: Terran (4): Powder Miner, Happerry, Kashyyk, Jilladilla
Tarkan:

Name:
Stellar Racers' Society (1): Powder Miner

Homeworld:
Recommencement (1): Powder Miner
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 11:00:11 pm by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2018, 09:51:32 pm »

Thoughts?
I can make any changes as needed.

Gaia Regime

Sometimes to really understand the beauty of the universe, you have to get out there.
That's what we did. We didn't really find anything at first, but that was before we got stranded. Some freak Bore drive phenonema. We had our best engineers look at the drives for years, and could never find the way back home to another galaxy.

But we're explorers, so we found something new. Gaia. A wondrous planet, full of things we didn't even contemplate being possible before. To this day, we're still discovering new things about it, and we're continously amazed with every new discovery. This whole galaxy is like that. Moons with lights flying through the sky, planets that act like single being, strange new creatures and plants. The effective loss of Earth was a hit, sure, but if we could find Gaia, what else can we find here?
But, unfortunately, this galaxy is a hostile place. The hostile empires and species themselves are amazing sights to behold, but ultimately stand in our way. We know we won't take any more setbacks. We may have not had many people when we first got stranded, but now we're a burgeoning empire, using technology repurposed from the expedition archives to create new tools, weapons, and ships for our explorers. This galaxy is ours to explore, and we won't let anyone take it from us.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2018, 09:57:33 pm »

Adding Chiefwaffle's vote as requested on the Discord.

Also thumbsup for the Gaian Regime fluff writeup.

Changed my planet name vote from Gaia to New Gaia because I think New Gaia makes more sense as a name given the newly written background.

Morrigi (1): Happerry

Name:
Gaia Regime (3): Happerry, Kashyyk, Chiefwaffles

Homeworld:
Gaia (1): Kashyyk
New Gaia (1): Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2018, 10:59:47 pm »

Right. Edited in the Second draft of my proposed fluff. Yes; I'm still trying for space dwarves. Trying for something a bit different you know?

(Also, Happery... Discord? There's a Discord for this game? Unofficial or am I merely blind?)

Name:
Ulengarkim (1): Jilladilla

Homeworld:
Gaia (1): Kashyyk

Glory to United Forenia!

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2018, 12:02:50 am »

Draignean gave the Discord link here:
Good to see some discussion beyond just race start to develop.

While you should work on getting your full set of answered settled up, you've got some more time to work out the rest of the kinks. If you're the discord using type, the discord has been set up here. I would still STRONGLY encourage you keep a good amount of discussion in the thread in order to keep it coherent for newer joins.

Also adding a vote for Gaia as the homeworld name. "New Gaia" only makes sense if we had an original planet named "Gaia" in my opinion.
Species: Terran (5): Powder Miner, Happerry, Kashyyk, Jilladilla, Chiefwaffles

Name:

Homeworld:
Gaia (2): Kashyyk, Chiefwaffles

Color
Red (1): Chiefwaffles

EDIT:
Also, I added in a color category so we can vote for our team color.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 12:05:01 am by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2018, 12:16:26 am »

Right. Edited in the Second draft of my proposed fluff. Yes; I'm still trying for space dwarves. Trying for something a bit different you know?
Eh, fair enough, though honestly I'd find it more interesting if people just stayed normal sized and kept on dwarfing away anyway instead of randomly shrinking.

Also, I added in a color category so we can vote for our team color.
Our current Ultraviolet is perfectly fine with me.

Species: Terran (5): Powder Miner, Happerry, Kashyyk, Jilladilla, Chiefwaffles

Name:

Homeworld:
Gaia (2): Kashyyk, Chiefwaffles

Color
Red (1): Chiefwaffles
Ultraviolet (1): Happerry

Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2018, 07:38:22 am »

Eh, fair enough, though honestly I'd find it more interesting if people just stayed normal sized and kept on dwarfing away anyway instead of randomly shrinking.

Well, I did write that 'In Character'. My headcanon is that their reference for their ancestors height was an accidentally unearthed skeleton of someone who won all the lotteries on height... More or less causing them to reason that used to be the average. As in; they thought they shrunk; but not actually.
They'd figure that out if they dug up more skeletons... But why would they do that? (And of course, the occasional normal sized ancestor that gets accidentally dug up is written off as a midget.)

And thank you for the Discord link.

Glory to United Forenia!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2018, 07:39:09 am »

Empire 3 is now (probably) the The Gaian Regime. You are Terrans, and have made your home upon the world you call Gaia. Per ardua ad astra, brothers and sisters, and let none keep you from your birthright.

Design Phase of Year -6

Resources
Dice: 10
T: 0 + 2500
O: 0 + 7500
M: 0 + 7500
E: 0 + 5000
S: 0 + 500

Spoiler: Active Projects (click to show/hide)

Now we begin the design phase. Remember, you are an existing empire, so you're expected to have a certain hidden baseline of technology- we just don't know exactly know what that is until you define it- which is what this design phase is for.

Designs should be detailed, describe what you're doing and how. You can invent materials, you can invent effects, you can step sidewise across the barriers of physics and do a jig. Be consistent, be methodical, and be thorough. What resources your design will use are dependent on your write-up. How much you use is dependent on your write-up. The difficulty of a project is dependent on your write-up.

Two very important things. One, be creative and be interesting. Build off the roots you want to have, and your designs will reveal your history. Second, remember to show and not tell. Describing a weapon as being capable of obliterating anything, drawing only the power of a duracell, being trivially difficult, and cheap enough to issue to every infantryman is a surefire way to give me a distaste for it. You need to be clever, lead me to conclusions gently. Just saying things are great in all possible ways will not work.

Oh, a final tip. Synthetics. Using them in a design is expensive, but they're a clear cue to me that you want that you want to break the rules of reality in a big way. Want to harvest energy from hell? Synthetics. Want a material that can hold up a space elevator? Synthetics. You can generate hypothetical molecules and properties from the other resources, but Synthetics are an easy solution to hard problems.

The following is a Hypothetical planning document for an example empire, giving some examples of starting level tech. I phoned it in at a couple places, but it's a start.
Temerian Magnate

Your Tech Sheet
Here

Your Empire Planner
Here
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
Re: The Gaian Regime Empire Thread | Terrans | GalactiRace
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2018, 09:16:04 am »

May not get the theme... But irregardless here's a design; given how we have several turns worth of free development here at the start I figure we may as well start working on infrastructure:

The Great Metalworks
A shining example of our peoples industrial prowess, The Great Metalworks is far more than a glorified smeltery; it is a place where while ores may enter raw; they exit as examples of our greatest technology. The Metalworks itself is a logistics chain from the mines to a centralized smeltery/factory complex; with additional logistics chains present to import other materials from other facilities as needed. Through this, the Metalworks provides a smooth transition through the construction process; instead of having to import its raw material and then export them elsewhere. As part of the goal of smooth logistics, the Metalworks also possesses a robust launchpad; which in itself facilitates the movement of materials to a space station meant as an assembly platform for ships that would not be able to leave the atmosphere on their own; and as a storage facility allowing transports to rapidly and easily pick up the Great Metalworks considerable output.

Remember, we have 7 turns to build our starting tech. Seven turns in which we cannot build up a fleet or strike out at other planets. Seven turns in which we get 10 dice per turn.
Military designs won't do us any good until the introductory phase ends except as a basis for a superior followup design. Yes, we should have at least a decent collection of such designs before it ends, but we need not start with one. As such, I believe that this is the best time to work on infrastructure.
That said; we have 10 dice. We need not start with only one design right now; we can go with more.

Glory to United Forenia!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2018, 12:14:08 pm »

I agree with infrastructure projects, but I would also like to work on our bore-drive. We should double down on our bore-savant perk.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 12:17:42 pm by Kashyyk »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2018, 12:30:16 pm »

We should double down on our bore-savant perk.

Hah! Should join the Discord, Kashyyk! We have ideas.

Glory to United Forenia!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2018, 12:33:26 pm »

We’ve basically been planning to go heavy on bore sensors, use drones, make bore cannons (some on planet) and generally do everything EXCEPT make heavy slugger ships.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2018, 12:38:26 pm »

Bore cannons would be heavy installations in the orbit of our system. They are cannons too big to fit on ships, and equipped with a bore drive. They communicate with compatible ships in the field to generate a small short lived bore , through which they can fire resulting in light ships with tremendous firepower.

fire rate may be a problem, bit nothing we can't solve.

Perpetual energy borehole
It is well known that it is not possible to make a perpetual motion machine. All efforts would fail due to the way conservative forces work and things like that.
Well, it turns out that if you can open wormholes conservation laws go down the drain.

In this generator, tiny boreholes are made with the terminus feeding in the same genesis it is linked to. Meanwhile, a powerful magnetic field accelerates particles toward the genesis. The particle accelerates, enters the genesis, and then exits at the terminus ready for another round of acceleration. After enough times the borehole destabilizes and collapses, producing radiation and extremely high energy particles that are harnessed by a receiver located right behind where the terminus would be.

This kind of generator would synergyze well with our plans for all kinds of bore trickery, so I shall propose we do it this turn, together with a synthetic synthesis infrastructure

BOrehole for Synthetic Synthesis
The standard starting point of synthetic synthesis is simply and succinctly speed. produce and propel powerful particles to produce peculiar products.

Conventional accelerators need to be larger as the power increases in order to be able to force particles on a curved path and allow greater acceleration. We can sidestep this with a simple idea: the borehole accelerator. Instead of circular and huge, it is linear and relatively small. However, a borehole connects the 2 ends of it resulting in a basically infinite acceleration length which allows far greater energies than ever thought possible. When 2 such streams are placed on a collision path, the resulting shower of particles contains many exotic particles that have no equivalent in nature. Even the radiation from wormhole decay is harnessed for such purposes, in contrast to how harmful it is for ship travel.

Quote from: borebox of votes
Perpetual energy borehole (1): Andrea
 - 3 dice (1): Andrea
Borehole for synthetic synthesis (1): Andrea
 - 3 dice (1): Andrea
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 02:16:37 pm by andrea »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 37