Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: !!NAKED IGNITION!! {IC}  (Read 1710 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
!!NAKED IGNITION!! {IC}
« on: May 20, 2018, 03:44:03 pm »

OOC THREAD HERE
It's Monday morning, and the clock strikes half nine.
It's meeting time! Arson doesn't get a meeting room, unlike Vice (who seem to invite a lot of scantily clad youths to theirs) and Homicide (who have two: one for Major Homicide, the other Minor Homicide).
So, instead, people stand up from their desks and take it in turns to discuss the progress on their case. If it's the head of Arson, it's usually a summary of how the department is making progress against, y'know, arson.
Ostensibly. Usually, there's no progress. So people take it as a chance to talk shop, talk boys, talk girls, talk the talk, walk the walk, and talk shit. Sometimes somebody actually has made progress on their case and everyone groans, cos nobody wants to know about that shit except maybe Prokopy or Ehsan.
Eventually, the queue comes round to the back of the room.
The first detective at the back stands up, shuffles their case notes, then begins.

Spoiler: What's going on? Help! (click to show/hide)

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
Re: !!NAKED IGNITION!! {IC}
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 07:08:34 pm »

Starbucks was kind of a miracle. It was like compressed ability to give-a-fuck, and Blaze sipped hers slowly. She'd brought on in for herself and one in for Storm, nobody else was really worth waiting in line for. Particularly not her partner of the moment. SK8ER COP was...

He was SK8ER COP. Not exactly much more to say there, and Blaze hadn't ingested an adequate amount of liquid give-a-fuck to do more than paste on a midly interested expression around him yet.

Instead, she sought out Storm, proffering the fresh cappuccino. "So, what are your plans for the day?" Blaze asked, settling in anywhere that wasn't near SK8ER.  "Assuming that the revelation Washington's witness dropped on us today hasn't blown all thought from your mind." Washington's witness was an eighty year old man who desperately wanted to be helpful, and called every day or so with a new detail he'd recalled. It had been two months since the abandoned suburban house had burned down, and his 'updates' were pretty much the only progress the case got. Today's revelation had been that the young woman the old man was sure he'd seen exiting the house last was actually wearing a yellow polo, not a green one as he'd earlier testified.

Blaze flicked on eye toward SK8ER, trying to judge whether he'd attempt to include her in delivering a progress report.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 02:00:20 am »

As Jackie stands up, he's sure to open his notebook to the right page. He gives a little wistful look towards Sk8r cop, but focuses back on the report before anyone can notice.

"Detective Jackie Hawkins, reporting. I went and had every nook and cranny of the town hall searched: no firebombs there. That threatening letter was probably just a threat. Wish people would come out and speak their grievances about Chief Roth rather than waste our time like this. I'll see if I can track that letter to its sender, but honestly... it's a long shot.

"As for non-work-related matters, I'm kinda down that Vilhelm is down that Sauli is down. We should probably make sure we're there for him, see if we wants to talk. We all know how important that fairground is to him. Sugar, I heard you might have an idea on how to cheer him up...?"
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 05:49:05 am »

Moments before, Sugar can be heard at his desk, shaking his monitor screen by two hands. A perceptive viewer might recognize the show playing out on his screen as the telenovela Secret Passions of Our Lives.

'Por qué? Roberto, no, you know she is no good for you! Ah, you devilish woman...'

The clock strikes half nine and Sugar reluctantly tears himself away from the drama on his screen and turns to the drama of the police department instead. He gives the corner of the monitor a fierce knuckling perhaps in the hopes of the impact carrying through to the fictional characters of the show as well.

Sugar sits on the side of his desk - a habit which his desk-mate Ragnar just barely tolerates - and leans in towards Hawkins. His voice drops to a conspiratorial whisper that everyone within three desks at the least can still hear. 'You didn't hear this from me, but we're planning a Wolf's Den get-together for the whole squad. Everyone will be there! Sauli'll cheer up, Vilhelm'll get into his pants at last, we'll all get happy and drunk. Oh, and I hear we're in for a special show by the best drag queen in town, yes? You have to be there. I'm not letting anyone stay out.'

Something flares in Sugar's eyes. 'Anyone. So don't even think of skipping out, my friend. You really don't want to do that... because you'd miss out on all the fun, yes?'

Oh, but that wasn't even all of it. The secret part of the evening burned on his tongue, but he'd have to keep some cards close to his chest - the part where they'd break into the Summer Kingdom all together and take that creepy old place by storm. If that wouldn't cheer up Sauli, nothing would.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 07:51:40 am »

"Oh, don't worry about me. I wouldn't miss something like this. I can't speak for everyone, though..."

Rather unsubtly, Jackie glances over at Merisa.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 08:10:08 am »

Merisa act as ignoring the conversation
Sugar, do you have report on some progress of any of your investigations?
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 12:32:44 pm »

SK8R COP reviews the Alyx Skjalding case notes on his desk. Nonbinary teenager's house catches fire during public campaign against local chief of police. Fine leveled against parents for improper fire safety. Case closed.

The coffee today isn't very good. It seems to be the water. Something off about it. Case was a little off too. Strange to try and solve a crime that you committed, but the third edit from on high appears to have clinched the details.

Jackie looked at him just now. SK8R COP gives the barest of nods back. Business time is rolling along nicely. A report will be made. He does not need to think much while doing it. Instead he rests his forearms (looks off - too many points of articulation) on the desk, and stares motionlessly outward. The sounds around him fade, leaving only the soft and halting beating of a heart of gold.

Gaze into the abyss - what is my next task?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 12:39:16 pm by Harry Baldman »

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 11:23:22 am »

Never mind Sugar, just talk to washington about his witness after this meeting.
I can't belive this homophobic basterd actually fired Bosque, I thougt the man was almost untouchable, he is son of the mayor, this blody crusade need to stop before he get to me.

Nervusly drinking her coffee Merisa said the day masseges:
First of all, Ricarda and Anna, today you two go to outreach, you know where it is and unless anyone can give me a reason you take the good police car,
April and Jennifer you two go to make sure the 'end of summer' party don't have any fire hazzard this weekend.
Ehsan and SK8P I want you to investigatr the fuel egnition on the old erospace park, I want the initial report on my desk by tommorrow morning.
Frank and Ricardo, I want you to look into the mayor office fire, initial report on my desk, as well, by tommorrow morning.
Roghayeh, I need to talk to you in five minutes, the rest buissnes as usual

After this Merisa got out of the office to smoke.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 09:52:40 am »

Blaze
"Well," April says, still typing like crazy at her computer. "The fire spread prediction system keeps vomiting up segfaults when I include the schematics for Summer Kingdom, and all the threads I find online that look related have no replies and were posted six years ago and on different operating systems, and--"
You reach over and mime pressing the 'work-fun' switch located on her nose.
"Boop," you announce.
She stops typing and hands you a blue pill.
It's cold.
You ask her what it is. She says she was hoping you knew.
"Some guy pressed it into my hands at a party last night," she says. "Says it was homegrown, whatever that mean. Down it, see what it does?"
Or trick somebody else into taking it, you say.
She nods. "Let me know how that study turns out," she says, returning to the computer.
You mime pressing the 'work-fun' switch again, then ponder the pill back at your desk.
Funny Bunny hisses as soon as you sit down.
He doesn't like that pill one bit.

Hawkins
"Is it correct," Huburtus says, appearing by your desk after you finish your speech. "That you had a problem with tracking down the tracking of the letter?"
You nod, not one to disguise your faults.
"Have you applied," Huburtus says. "The science of graphology?"
You make an awkward joke.
He laughs indulgently.
"Would you believe," he says, pressing an A4 sheet with a name (Rosales Caro), address (445 Westpoint Drive), and bloodtype (A+) onto your desk. "That this is your suspect?"
You stare at it.
"Could you please," Huburtus says, smiling. "Question this suspect later in the day?"
Shouldn't it be you and Huburtus?
"Hm," he says.
Huburtus leaves, trailing his hand across desks. When he reaches SK8R Cop, lost in thought, he pats him on the back and gives him a congratulatory platitude.
SK8R Cop then leaps up, hops a coupla desks, then flies out the door.
No-one minds except you.
You trail after him, opening the door to the hallway, when you find SK8R Cop on the ground, twisting and jerking and frothing at the mouth.
The next few seconds are a blur. You remember kicking open the door to the bathroom, and shoving a hand down SK8R Cop's throat, and him vomiting into the toilet. When he comes round, you're not sure what happened to him, so you tell him it kinda looked like a seizure.
You've never been this close to him.
Then, the door squeaks open.
You realize two things:
This is the woman's bathroom.
Steely Dan and Cutthroat are here.
And they're having a conversation you really shouldn't be hearing.

Sugar
And right when Roberto decides the only way to be with his lost love Olivia is by submitting to the whims of the dastardly occultist witch slash fellow surgeon Tarota, your phone rings.
"Hey dad," your stepdaughter, Rosales, says. "Are you still breaking into Summer Kingdom?"
You gasp; how does she know!?
"Daaad," she says. "You drunkdialed me and told me all your plans. I don't know how many times I have to tell you, dad, you are bad at keeping secrets."
Alright, alright. But don't tell your mother, she's a very fragile woman.
How is she, by the way?
"She's fine, dad," Rosales says. "About as okay as she can be when her daughter's nbfriend got her house burnt down and put into a coma by the Chief of Police. And you know, I'm fine too. I totally didn't try firebombing the city hall until you talked me out of it with a really shitty metaphor about your stupid telenovelas."
How dare her! It's the greatest artform of whatever century this is!
"Whatever, dad," Rosales says. "Anyway, you want help with committing a crime? I know you're the expert and all, being a cop in this shitty berg."
You thank her profusely, but don't need it.
"Ooh, I think you do," Rosales says. "Sauli drunkdialled me right after you did to tell me he's gonna conduct some weird shit at Summer Kingdom tonight and he doesn't want anyone hanging around there, so if he sees you he's gonna be like, pissed. And he will see you since he's got guys with pipes who will beat the shit out of you and your asshole cop friends. Buuut, since he's my birthdad, maybe I could convince him not to bring the guys, since who the hell would want to break into a creepy amusement park in the middle of the night?"
You're sensing a but here.
"Well dad, you know that really ambitious boss you have who you keep going on about her dark secret?" she says. "Maybe like, use that as pressure to get her to protest against Ryan Roth's policies?"
You couldn't do that; Cutthroat's running scared of being the next one.
"Daaaaad, if we all run scared, then we won't be able to affect change in the broader political climaaaate," Rosales says. "Just blackmail the shit out of her until she calls Ryan Roth a homophobic dickwad. C'mon, you missed my last three birthdays, you owe me."

SK8R COP
{1+4-1=4}
When you gaze into the abyss, it's like winter never ended.
The room gets cold. The people freeze over. All the walls turn to frosted glass, and behind Jazz Industrial Park, you see refracted and reflected... a golden beating heart, held in the hands of the Queen of the Ice and the Snow.
You take a knee, and extend a hand in deference.
You do not question this.
You do not question anything about this.
"One more task," she creaks. "You shall receive, before absolution."
You ask her the task.
"Done so much," she says. Down her frostbitten cheeks, icicles of tears hang. Her eyes pinned open. "Achieved so little. A sick kickflip cannot make up for the fact that your performance has suffered. Nothing you've done has been as radical as it was with Adam. But a deal was a deal, and shall remain."
You beg of her the task.
"One more task," she says, clutching your heart in her hands. "One more task, until it is finished."
You demand of the task.
"The task shall be--"
Everything burns.
The ice melts.
And you see his face.
Serafin.
"Not that I'm implying," he says. "That you burnt their house down, am I?"
Your shoulder aches.
"And not that I'm implying," he says. "That you did so without regret, am I?"
Your mind aches.
He kneels down to your level as you twist and scream on the floor.
"But what I am implying," he says. "Is that the cold cannot come close to the warmth of life, can it? This pain I'm making you feel right now, it's pretty awe-inspiring, isn't it?"

When you wake up, you're lying in a bathroom stall, Jackie standing over you sweat gleaming off his forehead.
He tells you, you just ran out of the room. He followed you, and he found you there in the hallway, having a seizure.
Almost lost you there, buddy!
Written on the cubicle wall -
Call 555-042 for a radical time.

Cutthroat
"Weird spot for a meeting, Cutthroat," says Roghayeh, trailing her hand across the steel sink in the woman's bathroom.
You tell her it's Ms. Johnson to her.
"Oh, cute!" Roghayeh says. She pops the childlock on a bottle of Blaze Pharma™ Early Riser™ pills and downs a few black and yellows, dry. In return, you take the batteries out of the fire alarm and light up a Diamond Black cigarette. "You know, I did love our little sojourn last Christmas, but I'm gonna be a married woman soon enough. And it's really not fair on poor little Prokopy."
You say it's over.
That it never really began in the first place.
She stares at you. First she laughs. Then she glares.
"You know, I could fuck you with one phone call," she says. "One call to the chief and you'll be out of Arson faster than if I had stuck a rocket up your ass. You didn't just dump me there. You don't get that privilege. When and if I have to dump you, it'll be like cutting the rope tying me to an anchor."
You glare at her.
She grins.
"But who doesn't like a bit of bondage?" she says.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 10:02:29 am by Fniff »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 11:57:40 am »

SK8R COP's eyes are watering as he stares at the graffiti, stumbling to his feet without particularly stopping for things like washing his hands or devoting much thought to what exactly just happened inside his head - he'd remember the useful parts well enough, as usual.

He finds a second for Jackie.

"Good Looking Out, My Dude." Thumbs up.

And then he's off.

First step, call 555-042 for a radical time.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 12:52:31 pm »

I shut her down
Merisa menacly giggle
I didn't thougt you were so naive, you actually think you are safe, An activist house was burned down and they almost died, no matter what you think on Mr.Roth he isn't crul enough or have the guts to do this and think he will get scot free, and he don't have nearly enough influnce to just fire the son of the mayor without anything but a single evidnce to something that would barly count as a minor violation of work ethics, he's a puppet, and  no one care about the kids  of puppets and even less their wifes, we both where there on Christmas, so as much as you try to ignore this we are toghter at this until he's gone, so as I was trying to say, what your plan to make sure that happens
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 12:05:36 am by Rockeater »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 01:19:43 pm »

"Uh, you're...welcome?" Jackie says as SK8R COP rushes away.

He brushes his hands and clothes and breathes in, breathes out. The crisis is over.

Then it sinks in.

There's no way Cutthroat and Steely Dan didn't notice him. To sneak away, pretending this never happened? To play it cool and laugh it off? To run away, shouting apologies? All great ideas. Too bad Jackie isn't sure which to go with, so it turns into a mess of trying too many things at once:

"Oh, uh...ladies," Jackie says, slowly backing towards the door. "It's a nice day to save someone from seizures, am I right?" His voice shakes a bit. "Um... what was that about rockets up asses and bondage?" He realizes what he said. "Oh, uh... hey uh, I'm sorry, uh...AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

Without waiting for a response, he runs out, almost stumbling on his own feet. As he gets out, he tries breathing again.

That went better than usual.

He looks around, wondering which way SK8R COP went.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 01:28:02 pm »

Well, another two to this insane furnce

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 03:55:46 am »

’Weeeell... anything for you, darling,’ Sugar said, relenting in the face of the complex interpersonal dynamics which always seemed to dominate in Varme. And people called his telenovelas unrealistic!

Someone else might have quit the call there, but Sugar wasn’t about to go without getting the last word in. With his stepdaughter, that could take a while. A good half an hour of rapid-fire back-and-forth later, Sugar finally let the phone drop and got up to find his boss. The moment Cutthroat was alone, Sugar was there to ambush her.

’Oh, hello boss! No, no, I’ll get back to you on the Washington case later. Now that you’re here, how about we talk about your boss? We’re all just waiting for you to go out there and publicly condemn that nasty old homophobe. You know, call for his dismissal, make some accusations. The whole department’s expecting you to act. We’ll all lose so much respect if you don’t, you know?’

Sugar fished out an USB and spun it in the air. ’Of course, they’d all lose a lot more respect if they knew what was on this USB, you know? I’m on your side, boss, but you know me. I misplace things all the time. Might forget this on someone else’s desk... or with the press. I think my memory’d work a lot better if someone put a little heat back on Roth, yes?’

No-one could accuse Sugar of being a terribly subtle blackmailer. That suited him just fine.

Pull a String on Cutthroat.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 09:15:06 pm »

'Kay. So, scary blue pill. Homegrown. In street terms that usually meant that somebody cooked it up themselves instead of stealing and dealing like a normal human being. Generally, that was a Bad Thingtm. Blaze Pharmatm did their best to weed out the chances of a Bad Thingtm getting into their pills because of Public Safetytm regulations, buuuut drug cookers weren't exactly all that well known for their adherence to those regulations when they had a chance to make a Quick Bucktm.

Blaze made a Mental Notetm to stop adding 'trademarked' to the end of her thoughts.

The pill being blue meant absolutely nothing. Could mean anything. Could be super naproxen, could be space viagra, could be that blue was the only food coloring that the maker had leftover from Easter. The fact that it was cold, however, made self-testing seem... unattractive. Which meant she needed a lab rat guinea pig dupe rube valuable assistant.

That in mind, Blaze grabbed a paper cup of water from the cooler, filled it, and began stalking the halls for likely candidates.

The appearance of the cabin boy Hawkin's appearing breathlessly from what appeared to be the woman's bathroom provided a likely candidate.

"You alright there?" Blaze asked as she approached from his side, smiling with just a hint of knowing curiosity at the apparent scandal of man emerging breathless from woman's washroom. "You look like you could use a drink of water, just so happen to have one with me." Blaze extended the cup, reading to palm the pill into it. "So, if you're this out of breath, am I going to have to get a defibrillator for the girl you left in there?

Pull a string on Hawkins. Get him to drink the cup. Embarrass him enough that he'll use the water to cover up his flush and not notice the pill that goes down with it.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: [1] 2