Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Interest in Orc Fortress for vanilla 44.xx?  (Read 22598 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Interest in Orc Fortress for vanilla 44.xx?
« on: May 21, 2018, 12:48:01 am »

I have a (very streamlined, and somewhat rebalanced, etc.) version of Orc Fortress playable in vanilla 0.44.09.  I'll certainly pop it up for release once i've played through a couple times and have any confidence that it might not be terribly buggy. 

let me know if there's any:
(a) interest in it before it's debugged?
(b) fixes you all made to Orc Fort in past years that i should incorporate?
(c) new version of Masterwork in development for 44.xx in which case maybe i won't work too hard on vanilla?

cheers
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 12:51:08 am by smakemupagus »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Interest in Orc Fortress for vanilla 44.xx?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 06:08:01 pm »

I am still not really going to be very active on forums but i will update this as I play/tinker.  Happy to take feedback & suggestions.

Link to download:
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=13773

Conversion of the Orc Fortress mod from Masterwork DF to vanilla DF 0.44, by the original author. Rebalanced orc attributes and weapons for vanilla. Ashland elves and human corsairs are available for war with dwarves and trade with orcs (if their ethics permit). 

Players of the old Orc Fortress may notice that a lot (~60%) of features are not currently here, particularly those which have been superceded by vanilla content (raiding, reactions selecting specific materials), depend on DF HACK (magic and poisons), or were specific to the Masterwork setting (steampunk, lamellar leather, etc.). Many things were streamlined to reduce complexity and use vanilla assets where possible (e.g., atlatls use arrows rather than javelins).

Releasing as "0.1" since it may be playable? the error log was clean, but very little is tested.  World gen and a year or two of an orc fort worked for me in 0.44.09 Starter Pack.  Remember to check your trading partners race & select your entity accordingly before embark.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 05:35:51 pm by smakemupagus »

Avacado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 12:17:40 am »

A - yes!

B - Nope.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 02:16:29 am »

Thanks for reply.  I'm having fun with the version 0.1 posted above.  Haven't found too many bugs, although i'm just playing and not really testing anything systematically. 

The elves are definitely trolling me with their annual "tribute" of a small dress and one tame crow  ::) 

Lianjan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 05:00:01 pm »

An early release would be cool i would play that
I always wanted orc fortress for vanilla
masterwork is cool but it might be a while for a new release

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 12:01:26 am »

Link is up there in the 2nd post! ^^^

SpiritArmor

• Bay Watcher
  • Your curiosity will be the death of you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 11:36:07 am »

Oh nice! I'm glad you're getting back into this, I look forward to giving this a whirl. Do I need to drop this into the 44.09 starter pack, or would a standalone 44.09 be okay?

Will you be bumping this up to 44.10+ eventually? Toady fixed emotions/memories, so dwarves can actually become noticeably stressed and unhappy again. That would be really fun with orcs, especially since I remember they tended to be touchy in 34.xx.

(b) fixes you all made to Orc Fort in past years that i should incorporate?

I think everything I want to say about Orc Fort in past years hasn't been incorporated yet or would be different anyway with the siege changes, haha. In 34.xx, because of how many butcherable invaders you got, the meat-to-log "trade" in the elf prisoner cell was grossly overpowered and gave too many logs: I never ran out of meat, so I never ran out of logs. Even in most challenge runs, the hardest part was getting to the point where I could snag an elf prisoner, but once I got one, every fuel-dependent industry made the game a cinch.

Granted, even if the old raiding system was back, it would probably be a moot point now because sieges don't happen multiple times a year now.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 12:19:50 pm »

Interesting, id been meaning to get a look in on this Orc fortress content.

I can see where the appeal lies with the detail it provides, but i would say as a criticism its not very vanilla core gameplay compatable friendly without the task of unpicking the bits that you like

- Wildlife is good even if squigs are a little bit hard to place when we have crundles, probably needs to mention orcs less but the general theme holds up well, this can be handled now with [ANIMAL] entity tags for Orc exclusivity, with added bonus of letting creatures be importable to Orc settlements (set to pet_exotic and [ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT]), like how you can import beak dogs exclusively to goblins if you do the same (ah i see you've already done that)

- Orcs themselves are flavourful but way too many castes compared to what might be normal for vanilla, i could easily whittle it down to 2 or three with slight deviations but maintaining a general theme of a warrior race with more bulk than brain for a appropriate theme if nessecary or something different.

- There are a lot of babysnatching 'ally' (used very loosely because diplomacy doesn't exist yet for those kind of arrangments, more that they dont immediately hate each other for no reason until they find a reason) compatible races for world generation which would squeeze out the variety of or make it very one sided in vanilla because dwarves or playable races would always be staple else worldgen rolls over.

- Never played the masterwork mod so my expertise of some of the added building chains & industries needs explaining within the context of vanilla, so far i can just about grasp the slag metal to boulder conversion and the fighting pits etc, could you please apply a tutorial in the vanilla release mod thread OP? Or least a readme with a lowdown on seperating the content which is and isn't explicitly masterwork supported

If i can provide any recommended improvements to the code to make it more friendly ill link them in a
Code: [Select]
box here but this is really great stuff as it is.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 12:46:38 pm by FantasticDorf »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 08:49:29 pm »

Sure, thanks for the feedback.  I'll keep an eye on your suggestion box.  Definitely appreciate fresh perspective from non-Masterwork players.

It is possible i'll do some half decent documentation or at least FAQs at some point, once I have a better feeling for what features are going to be in or out in the end.  My days of free time for writing detailed manuals or narrative gameplay tutorials are probably behind me though :) 

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 02:11:56 am »

* Removed many unused reactions to clear errorlog
* Removed some remaining reactions erroneously still using unneeded non-vanilla materials
* Orcs can no longer create Ashglass and Ebonglass -- must trade (or loot from) ashlanders
* Flavor/culture changes to ashlanders

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 04:29:06 am »

Nice to hear, i've been doing some abstracting and i think i have a decent build running with my own goblin modifications & orcfort features running to a standard that doesn't alienate vanilla too much.

So hopefully with the current build of ethics and values I have running, they should either be buddies for being on the same babysnatcher team or each other's favorite enemies at least due to some parallel and opposite views of things , plans being to jump into control of one or the other try them out then run combat scenarios back and forth with raids, if a productive relationship with goblins can be achieved in play (trading, spending more than a season not killing each other, picking up the other race's mercenaries), then it may end up being a constructive step to adopting this for the vanilla gameplay implementation to split up the features between the two races (Orcs trade rubies, goblins trade ash glass etc)

- I really like the plant options its nice to have a little something extra.

Enclosed is what i have so far of entity code, with no particular orcfort reactions included but notable additions, it doesn't really tell you a lot without supporting context but it hopefully supports what im saying in the above paragraph.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit - Fixed the mistakes *eventually though many more edits*
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 05:34:03 am by FantasticDorf »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 05:28:31 pm »

I always enjoyed the critters that Orcs have available :)  That said, I'm holding out for the stress rebalance next update, and hopefully MW can be updated to that.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 02:25:21 pm »

Updated "0.3".  Just a couple minor bugfixes to entities and decluttering by removing more unused reactions.

burrito25man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2018, 12:23:43 am »

Amazing! Thanks Smake!
It's a slippery slope.  You start out modding, then move on to hard DFHacking, and next thing you know you're making your own games...

LUA Script: Workaround for butchering Sentients
 - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=165414.0

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2018, 10:39:42 am »

Quote from: burrito25man
fix-sentient-butcher

Looks like meat's back on the menu, boys!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6