Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Interest in Orc Fortress for vanilla 44.xx?  (Read 25735 times)

zmw907

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Interest in Orc Fortress for vanilla 44.xx?
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2018, 03:01:24 am »

Thank you so much for doing this, I was going through withdrawals playing dwarf vanilla.

Kbarbarossa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2018, 03:14:37 pm »

I loved playing as Orcs in the past. They were just such a fun combination of influences which made them really quirky. You had Katana wielding Warlords alongside claws and clubs, and all the other crazy stuff. Lots of fun. I'm glad you're updating it for vanilla. Keep up the good work!

burrito25man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2018, 09:28:36 pm »

Quote from: burrito25man
fix-sentient-butcher

Looks like meat's back on the menu, boys!

Best. Reference. Ever.  :P :P :P
It's a slippery slope.  You start out modding, then move on to hard DFHacking, and next thing you know you're making your own games...

LUA Script: Workaround for butchering Sentients
 - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=165414.0

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 11:07:14 pm »

Thanks for the notes, all.  Let me know if there's anything from the old version you miss particularly much -- maybe some old (or new) things can find their way back in. 

When Conquered sites comes around, somebody should set up some kind of Orcs vs. Dwarves alternating turns succession game  8)

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 11:16:25 pm »

PTW
Black lives matter.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2018, 06:36:23 am »

The new devlog came out and its got some tasty tidbits.

Especially in regards to the land-owner, would it be possible to df_hack (optionally of course) some title enabled transformations for when the warboss gains enough 'hill dwarf' settlement types under their control to transform to a more powerful caste? Eventually landing upon a Grimgor Ironhide level of aggression, size and strength and some boosts for subordinates in military roles enabled by the larger boss's presence to also progress?.

(something similar might phase out Uruks to a capacity because the LOTR overlap is good material but orcs are a wide spectrum in pop culture, snaga's are still pretty important though as the agile ones so maybe some racially assigned snaga squads with these title upgrades attributed)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 06:42:38 am by FantasticDorf »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2018, 10:55:19 pm »

Yeah, new devlog sounds great!  It is quite possible using vanilla mechanics to restrict captured-site overlords and high ranking nobles to particular race and caste.  Which we already do somewhat to keep non-orc citizens out of key positions, but i might take the opportunity to double check the specifics, before site overlords become more important.

Of course one could make an orc creature that was more warhammer-ork-like in physiology (thicker skull, tougher tissues, grow very large if they live long enough, even things like redundant organs and reduced vascularization are probably doable).  I don't think that's necessarily the way I would want to go here, but it's interesting to think about, and i wouldn't be surprised if someone else has already modded it at some point.  But as for specifically the thing you're proposing with DFHack transformations triggered by title change and especially the boosts for subordinates... I have no idea, sorry! 

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2018, 02:24:42 am »

Anyone catch any bugs, or have suggestions? 

I'll probably play a couple more forts after there's a LNP for 44.11, then at some point make a thread up on the main DF Modding forum.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2018, 06:00:47 am »

Anything you need, just let me know. :-)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Wyzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2018, 02:23:41 pm »

Posting to express interest and wonder where you are on the timeline of current DF updates? Orc fort was always one of my favorites

Prismaa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2018, 04:07:13 am »

I love Orc's and I miss playing with them! So I hope to see them in future too.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2018, 09:25:24 am »

Hi Meph!  Thanks for the offer, I don't think anything is needed right now.  good to see you around :)

Wyzack, I've been playing the development version posted here only in 44.10.  I don't know of any reason it wouldn't work just as well in later versions of 44.xx, but I probably won't test it myself until there's a LNP for 44.12. 

In terms of development strategy, I can't really decide whether I want to make Vanilla Orc Fortress bigger again (chemistry, for example) or perhaps to make it even more streamlined like a lot of vanilla mods, in which case I might just focus on the creature, entity, culture and signature weapons.  In the meantime the version up still has most of the old orcish industrial, blood bowl, and shanty town buildings, so it's a bit caught in the middle. 

Still with Vanilla now enabling you to pick fights with your neighbors I think it's in a good place, I've been having a lot of fun.

Herodian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2018, 01:56:14 pm »

Always been a big fan of Orc Fortress, especially the Ologs, so thanks for keeping it going! To ask a bit of an amateur question, how do I go about installing Orc fortress in the current format?
The world is grey, the mountains old,
The forge's fire is ashen-cold;
No harp is wrung, no hammer falls:
The darkness dwells in Durin's halls;
The shadow lies upon his tomb
In Moria, in Khazad-dûm.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2018, 02:57:05 pm »

Always been a big fan of Orc Fortress, especially the Ologs, so thanks for keeping it going! To ask a bit of an amateur question, how do I go about installing Orc fortress in the current format?

Should be pretty much one click -- You just drag and drop the Orc Fortress raw/ folder into the appropriate level of the Dwarf Fortress file tree, so that it (and it's subfolders) merge into the existing raw/ directory (and its subfolders).

Heads up that right now, the evil elves and humans, who are largely intended as enemies for dwarfs and as a source of trade (materials, animals, bows, guns, polearms) for orcs, are also set playable.   I can't really confirm that they are fun, interesting, or non-broken to play in fort mode -- I'll probably comment them out before "release".  You can tell what civ/race you're embarking as from the embark screen in the usual way.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2018, 03:11:37 pm »

Smake, just so you know: If this works well with vanilla DF, it will also work with the tileset release I make.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6