Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Interest in Orc Fortress for vanilla 44.xx?  (Read 24238 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Interest in Orc Fortress for vanilla 44.xx?
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2018, 03:58:19 pm »

Smake, just so you know: If this works well with vanilla DF, it will also work with the tileset release I make.

Aha.  Well then maybe i will play with 44.12 sooner rather than later :D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2018, 04:05:18 pm »

Not sure if you followed the developement, but if you build stuff with Obsidian, you get this (lower room):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think that suits orcs, considering that the walls are the orc walls from Warcraft. :D

(So, yeah, in case you didnt know: Individual materials can have their own sprites now)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2018, 04:25:41 pm »

I hadn't been following closely, but yeah i did notice those orcish walls on one of your posts :)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2018, 05:18:52 pm »

Ooh, i didn't realize the Meph Tileset pack has Fortress Defense.  Embarking in a target rich environment for some conquest :)

Prismaa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2018, 12:35:03 am »

How well this works with Meph's launcher? and do the tileset work fine with it?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2018, 02:45:54 am »

It should work just the same as with vanilla df, but i dont know how the added items and Workshops look. I know that the orcs themselves look fine, i made a 32x Set for them.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

baldamundo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2018, 01:54:31 pm »

Cheers for picking this back up! Orc Fortress was always my fave part of Masterwork (and DF generally tbh). Look forward to trying it out with the new version.

Prismaa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2018, 05:04:14 am »

I would love to play this in 44.12 but current version seems to just crash in it.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2018, 12:21:37 am »

Any details?  I've been able to embark in both 44.12 Meph Graphics Pack and Peridexis starter 44.12-r02

Prismaa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2018, 06:43:54 am »

Might be just the peridexis starter pack, it crashed "vanilla" few times too when embarking for me, and I managed to embark as orcs after few tries, I guess dfhack or something is little unstable for 44.12?

baldamundo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2018, 02:57:26 pm »

Is noble promotion working correctly? Could be a vanilla bug, but am several years in and no sign of promotion to the first rank of nobility. In what may be a related bug, I've accidentally managed to appoint a Huscarl before I should be able to - possibly facilitated by Dwarf Therapist.

What ammo do atlatls use btw? In MDF they used javelins iirc, but all I have are throwing axes, blowdarts, bolts and arrows - but I don't think I can make anything that uses bolts or arrows?

Am having a blast though! (altho I need to work out if I can fix this lag I'm suddenly getting...)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2018, 08:51:48 pm »

Yes, atlatls use arrows now, with the throw skill, mostly because javelins are not an available ammo type in vanilla.  Also, take this for whatever it is worth, but I talked to a co-worker who apparently has a lot of experience with atlatls in real life (strangely enough) and he co-signs this decision. 

Hmm -- I haven't played a fort long enough to get nobles recently.  Thanks for the feedback, I'll double check if there's any obvious typo. 

Anyone know if there were Entity changes to how nobility are defined in 44.11+ that i might have missed? ... I guess it's related to off-site holdings now.  Take a look at discussion here:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=171295.msg7807510#msg7807510
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 08:54:21 pm by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2018, 03:15:56 am »

baldamundo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2018, 05:16:00 pm »

Yes, atlatls use arrows now, with the throw skill, mostly because javelins are not an available ammo type in vanilla.  Also, take this for whatever it is worth, but I talked to a co-worker who apparently has a lot of experience with atlatls in real life (strangely enough) and he co-signs this decision. 

Hmm -- I haven't played a fort long enough to get nobles recently.  Thanks for the feedback, I'll double check if there's any obvious typo. 

Anyone know if there were Entity changes to how nobility are defined in 44.11+ that i might have missed? ... I guess it's related to off-site holdings now.  Take a look at discussion here:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=171295.msg7807510#msg7807510

Cheers. What are the relative merits of atlatls versus tomahawks? I'm guessing atlatls are longer ranged and more powerful (better at piercing armour?) in exchange for being shit in melee?

Also it seems like the boneforge blood extraction doesn't seem to work currently. Always claims there's no legitimate meat available.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2018, 07:33:55 pm »

OK... thanks for report, meat is definitely different in Masterwork than in vanilla, and at a glance i think that it will indeed not work (because of REACTION_CLASS:FRESH_BLOOD_MAT)

Thrown Tomahawks work pretty well against un- or poorly armored targets, you might even get severed limbs on occassion from the large contact area, and they are OK if not great in a melee. 

Yes, atlatls are indeed shit in melee, but with smaller contact area, the arrows should do a little better punching through armor. 

Foreign ranged weapons (bows, crossbows, or guns) should be strictly better in terms of penetration power, of course they use a different skill though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6