Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Interest in Orc Fortress for vanilla 44.xx?  (Read 25629 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Interest in Orc Fortress for vanilla 44.xx?
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2018, 01:17:16 am »

REACTION_CLASS:FRESH_BLOOD_MAT I introduced early in MDF for the extraction of blood from parts, for early versions of magic/evil stuff.

You can just call for MEAT:NONE instead.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

baldamundo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2018, 01:12:28 pm »

If the issue persists, have a look at this: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164123.msg7812111;topicseen#msg7812111

Cheers. Do you know how you'd make it work for Orc specific positions? I'm not code-savvy enough to work it out.

Tried adding the Orc nobles from entity_orcfort_orc into the list after 'local POSITIONS = ' and it just says e.g. "Noble position 'THAIN' is not valid" if I try to run it. Took a guess that 'for i=0, 9' counted the number of options, so increased it to match the new ones and now it just says "Could not find position ID". Which incidentally is the same thing that happens when you try to promote an orc to a Dwarf position that Orcs don't have (like Baron. Positions they both share like diplomat seem to work fine though.

EDIT: I guess it's this part that's throwing the error, but no idea how to fix it:

Code: [Select]
local histFig = dfhack.units.getNemesis(unit).figure
local ownEntity = df.historical_entity.find(df.global.ui.civ_id)

local posID = GetPositionID(ownEntity, string.upper(args[1]))
if not posID then
qerror("Could not find position ID.")
end
'
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 01:16:14 pm by baldamundo »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2018, 01:23:32 pm »

You have to ask comnom about that, he wrote the script.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2018, 01:43:36 pm »

Noble promotion changed recently, without a certain level of holdings (relevant to controlled provinces) you can't upgrade your nobility tree past 'baron' at land holder one (default economic & hillock/conquered site) without more sites, other factors detail how quickly settlers scramble out to biome supported terrain once this title is achieved and offsite population is counted.

It still needs some more documentation but may be a shorthand explanation why noble elevation isn't working in your orcy worlds for vanilla to the latest spec's.

Besides from re-writing the scripting to be more relevant where possible, masterwork scripting paid for local settler dispatches from the merchant vendors by trading gold bars/settler supplies in order to get more titles, civ pop & spread & messengerable population? Sounds like a good application for the future if it can be determined how the new version's code internally works

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2018, 11:07:19 am »

I will see if I can run a fort long enough with this version to conquer/found some sites and test Nobility. 

------

Just some minor updates for 0.4

Bugfix:
* Remove not-vanilla compatable reference to FRESH_BLOOD_MAT reaction class - should fix blood extraction

Balance:
* Increase max velocity of atlatl arrows (should be better than tomahawks for armor penetration by a wider margin, not quite as good as bows)

Cleanup:
* Ashland elves and Human bandit civs non-playable by default
* "Archive" folder removed from distribution

« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 11:10:25 am by smakemupagus »

GarlicBread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2018, 11:05:10 pm »

Hey just checking in and saying that orcs are still awesome!
He still hasn't killed any of the horses. Instead he went out, beat a cougar to death with his bare hands, and dragged it back to the butcher's shop. I was not expecting that.
Starvation is staved off for another day, anyways.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2018, 11:40:53 pm »

Awesome thanks for the note :D

Evillee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2018, 06:43:39 pm »

Is this the place to discuss the mod?
Was there sand? Was it coarse and rough and irritating and did it get everywhere?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2018, 10:54:28 pm »

Sure, It's definitely a fine place to discuss the new version being tested out for vanilla.  If you're talking about the original (Masterwork) version it might be confusing to discuss here.

Blackworth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2018, 06:02:15 am »

I will never ever say no to da boyz

y0ru

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2018, 09:02:52 am »

Hi, and thank you for porting Orcs Fortress to the current version of vanillaDF. I've been looking forward to raid and pillage the lands of Armok once again.

During my first two forts attempting to get back into OF (spoiler: they didn't last longer than a year) I experienced pretty severe downward spirals in terms of happiness - as noted in your test fort thread. I found it rather hilarious seeing orcs of all things being horrified at the sight of death. Damn orcs, getting all civilized and soft now.  :D  Strangely enough this wasn't an issue in later forts.

However, I am running into an issue with the BONEFORGE [REACTION:MAKE_IRONBONE_ORC]. Whenever I try to transmute the stuff I cannot queue the reaction due to lack of blood containing food storage. ASH, BLOOD, BONE and FUEL are all being checked just fine, but not the BLOODBARRELS despite there being dozen of the things inside the workshop from [REACTION:EXTRACT_BLOOD_ORC].
Since I couldn't figure out what wasn't working I had to go ahead and modify (delete) the whole part about blood from the reaction. Any way I can fix this while still using blood as a reagent?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2018, 12:35:27 am »

Hmm.  Interesting, good catch.  Yeah, the blood reagent is handled using REACTION_CLASS:BLOOD, which won't work in vanilla -- that class isn't defined.  (for what it's worth, it appears to also be broken in recent versions of Masterwork, where the class is now called "IS_BLOOD")

So, the quick fix for a new world would probably be to add [REACTION_CLASS:BLOOD] under [MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLOOD_TEMPLATE] within material_template_default.txt

I don't love that fix permanently, because my goal for a "vanilla compatable" mod would be not to change/overwrite any vanilla files. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 12:52:19 am by smakemupagus »

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2018, 02:00:03 pm »

I am super glad that you released an up-to-date Orc fortress.  It is by far my favourite way to play Dwarf Fortress.  (Before now I was reduced to trying to mod in the Orcs myself, and for some reason, I can never get the graphics tilesets to work for things I mod.)

Will Dreamwalkers ever get their non-DFhack magic back?  I remember in the very first versions of Orc Fortress I played, back in the days when Masterwork used lots of boiling-stone interactions, Dreamwalkers could do fun (and really kinda OP) spells.  I've never figured out how you did those.  I kinda miss the entertainment value of watching an Orc shaman wandering around the battlefield making enemies bleed to death through their skins.

My current DF project is modding orcs to be a more degenerate and barbaric version of the Orc Fort orcs.  My working title for it is "Snaga Fortress".  Hopefully modding sizes the way I am won't mess with their ability to dress once I get a test game running.

fasquardon

Wyzack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2018, 02:16:40 pm »

I remember having to burrow my dreamwalkers away because they kept shooting ice blasts and people and freezing friendlies to death

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2019, 11:30:13 am »

Will Dreamwalkers ever get their non-DFhack magic back?  I remember in the very first versions of Orc Fortress I played, back in the days when Masterwork used lots of boiling-stone interactions, Dreamwalkers could do fun (and really kinda OP) spells.  I've never figured out how you did those.  I kinda miss the entertainment value of watching an Orc shaman wandering around the battlefield making enemies bleed to death through their skins.

My current DF project is modding orcs to be a more degenerate and barbaric version of the Orc Fort orcs.  My working title for it is "Snaga Fortress".  Hopefully modding sizes the way I am won't mess with their ability to dress once I get a test game running.

fasquardon

I've been thinking about this on and off since your comment.  I thought the Old Magic was indeed pretty great, but with some major exceptions like the "boiling stone reactions" having a low success rate, so training magic users was pretty frustrating even for players who know the ins and outs of how modding works.  I guess it would be almost impossible to decipher for someone without that background.

I had fun with the old spells though.  Much respect for the modders who really pioneered understanding the possibilities of magic system, but a lot of the spells that were around at first were kinda the same, throwing different kinds of boulders or fire, so i tried to find some things that were a bit different but still effective.  Pain magic was probably the best balanced, it would stun or disarm (sometimes) but not kill.  Blood and decay magic was a little too reliable and safe but it would kill slowly, so i reasoned it served the purpose of a siege weapon and not really turn the tables in a real melee fight.  Frost magic was awesome and unpredictable, IMO worth loosing a few fingers to frostbite now and then :)   If I, say, sometimes accidentally fight in the mist under a waterfall or in the tide spray and deep freeze the whole battlefield friend and foe alike, eh, losing is fun.  When i lose my only miner and pick in a frozen aquifer because the shaman tried to flash freeze a kea, then yes i too am kind of mad.   My in house beta tester never lost an uruk to frostbite, but then she is also the sort to add a second layer of clothes with mittens and stuff to the uniforms, so what can i say.

In principle I'm up for adding anything back in here but would like to keep it accessible (and more or less balanced to vanilla, for whatever that's worth). 

To be honest the major issue now is still orcs suffering morale spiral from totally routine situations like corpses piling up knee deep everywhere, so the current business is rather tedious fiddling and testing with personality traits and the like, and/or waiting to see how Tarn tweaks the Memory system. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6