Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I wanna get a really cheap microsoft laptop just to play free games on  (Read 1166 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile

I'm talking stuff like Liberal Crime Squad. Games that never seem to have a Mac download.

Is there any other games ( especially rogue likes ) that are only playable on microsoft capable laptops that you can make me aware of, so I can justify such a purchase?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

eugh-- I see darwine is defunct. How sad.

Well, personally-- I would repurpose a chromebook.
However, inexpensive "Cloudbooks" also exist that are basically the same thing as a hacked chromebook.

For the former:
locate a suitable chromebook for purchase (Walmart in my area is offering 4gb RAM versions of the Celes / Samsung chromebook 3, for 200$.)
Take it apart and locate the firmware write protect screw and temporarily remove it.
Put the chromebook into developer mode
Use the script at mrchromebox.tech to flash the full UEFI bios
Reinstall the write protect screw
Reassemble
Install windows
Profit

For the latter:
Walmart offers a limited selection of "Cloudbooks" from acer and pals. They have a similar pricepoint and similar hardware to a chromebook.
They come with windows 10 preinstalled.

PROs:
Very lightweight
Absurd battery life
Inexpensive
Tolerant of being dropped

CONs:
Often non-upgradeable in any capacity. (Storage is soldered on eMMC in most cases, RAM is soldered on DRAM chips in most cases. There are exceptions, especially in the chromebook lineup. The linked chromebook (Gandalf), has a socketted NGFF SSD instead of soldered on eMMC, and has RAM slots.)
Often have difficulties installing windows updates on win10 due to space constraints.
Vastly underpowered hardware to even entry level true-laptops.

Be an informed consumer. Research the subject matter, and go shopping with purpose.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 04:26:20 am by wierd »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm talking stuff like Liberal Crime Squad. Games that never seem to have a Mac download.

Is there any other games ( especially rogue likes ) that are only playable on microsoft capable laptops that you can make me aware of, so I can justify such a purchase?

Just to broaden your search parameters, I run LCS on Linux just fine, and most roguelikes I've tried run well in Wine. Maybe you can just dual boot your Mac?

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Try Goodwill or pawn shops.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

hard to beat my 200$ chromebook.

For real.