Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Queen is Dead  (Read 1685 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Queen is Dead
« on: May 21, 2018, 06:10:07 am »

I can't find any reason for her to have died. She was 32 years old, no health issues, no syndromes, -45k stress. No combat anywhere nearby. She was standing outside in a tavern with 60 witnesses, listening to poetry. She even have any cave adaptation. The only clue is that her corpse and some of her armor had vomit stains.

Why did she die?

Vaporo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Queen is Dead
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 06:22:20 am »

Alcohol poisoning?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 06:24:05 am »

Have others died in a similar way? Perhaps exposure to an FB's extract?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 06:26:00 am »

Definitely alcohol poisoning. The vomit and location are a dead giveaway.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 06:56:13 am »

Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

fishboyliam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 08:16:59 am »

I can't decide if alcohol poisoning is the most or least dwarfy way to go. On the one hand, you literally drink till you drop; on the other, you just died because you couldn't drink.

lestmurphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 09:39:40 am »

I don't think I've ever had a dwarf die of alcohol poisoning.
How do I get them to drink more?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 10:40:44 am »

Assign a bartender and have an awful lot of goblets.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 12:28:41 pm »

Have others died in a similar way? Perhaps exposure to an FB's extract?
I thought about that. But I really liked this queen, so I kept her tucked away in the library with nothing to do but Ponder Autobiography and demand more querns. Death by extract seems unlikely.

Definitely alcohol poisoning. The vomit and location are a dead giveaway.
You're right. The weird thing is, I didn't have a bartender assigned, nor did I have a lot of goblets.

I was experimenting with using a civ alert burrow on an outdoor tavern to force my dwarves to consume more entertainment while keeping down their cave adaptation. And it worked! After a few days I was able to turn off the alert, and most of the dwarves stayed in the tavern instead of wandering around the fortress uselessly No Jobbing. Over 50 dwarves at a time were being delighted by stories and poetry.The downside was that the queen, with all her labors turned off, had nothing to do but drink for weeks at a time.

Now it's back to the drawing board in looking for ways to battle the stress of 44.10. I'm desperate enough to try pet therapy. And now I face the prospect of a king or queen who demands something less convenient than querns.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 12:46:18 pm »

Wait a minute! You said you had a lot of entertainment. Currently performers assigned to taverns are as effective poisoners as bartenders are (and bartenders are as effective entertainers as performers are, i. e. about as effective as the average patron).
Thus, a horde of performers are as effective at killing off patrons as a horde of bartenders.
Just giving performers no jobs should cause them to spend a lot of time in the taverns, occasionally performing.

To maximize the death rate at a tavern you should have a lot of poisoners and a lot of goblets, preferably working with a patron base consisting largely of goblins and elves (the size of dwarves, but with smaller livers).

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 01:01:56 pm »

Wait a minute! You said you had a lot of entertainment. Currently performers assigned to taverns are as effective poisoners as bartenders are (and bartenders are as effective entertainers as performers are, i. e. about as effective as the average patron).
Thus, a horde of performers are as effective at killing off patrons as a horde of bartenders.
Just giving performers no jobs should cause them to spend a lot of time in the taverns, occasionally performing.

I'm confused.

Do the performers cause alcohol poisoning because they entertain so well and keep the patrons drinking?

Or do the performers poison themselves because they hang out the tavern so much?

Or do dwarves spend more time in taverns that have assigned performers, on the hope that they might get to see a professional-quality show?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 04:09:59 pm »

Performers serve drinks. So they act like tavern keepers in that respect. And can be just as lethal.

For better moderation, assign someone who's busy with various other jobs outside the tavern as tavern keeper (if you're going to assign anyone at all).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 04:13:25 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 05:05:01 pm »

- As I tried to say (and Shonai_Dweller explained) performers serve drinks at about the same rate as bartenders do.
- Bartenders perform at about the same rate as performers do.
- Bartenders and performers perform at about the same rate as patrons do.
- Patrons do not serve alcohol.

If you've got goblin (and vampire) citizens and you want them to drink alcohol (for the need satisfaction), you need staff at your taverns. Likewise, if you want to mine visitite through booze you need staff, but if you need to satisfy dorf/human/elf citizen need for booze they can self serve (the situation is backwards from the real world: citizens given the keys to the booze store room drink with moderation, while those served in taverns get drinks shoved down their throats, and at times the shoving rate is higher than the healing rate).

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 12:47:52 am »

The next step, then, is to try a civilian alert on a massive temple, with instruments and assigned entertainers. I haven't yet seen anyone dance or play music in a temple. Even if the performers won't perform, at least they won't be serving drinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 01:15:24 am »

The next step, then, is to try a civilian alert on a massive temple, with instruments and assigned entertainers. I haven't yet seen anyone dance or play music in a temple. Even if the performers won't perform, at least they won't be serving drinks.
Temple performers apparently will only perform specifically religious music. So you need to rng up a bunch of religious music for your civ, ensure you have a performer who actually knows that music, ensure he's assigned to your temple and then wait for the oh-so-slow rng to get dorfs dancing. That's probably why temple dancing is such a rare sight.

When priests are introduced, post-mythgen religion, temples might start getting more exciting.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 01:17:16 am by Shonai_Dweller »
Pages: [1] 2