Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hammertooth: Uh, that map's upside down  (Read 2846 times)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
Hammertooth: Life, death, and liquid fire
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2018, 11:53:50 am »

17th of Malachite, 125

Tink. Tink. Tink. Copper on stone. Slowly the granite crumbled.

Tink-- tink-- tink-- *CRACK*

And a great chunk of stone collapsed suddenly into darkness. Erush laid his pick down, awestruck.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To surface dwellers, the cavern world was considered gloomy, alien, unnatural. Humans and elves called it the Underdark.

The dwarves knew better.

The dwarves had begun in the deep places of the earth. The dwarves had since time before time drawn their sustenance from the life that sprouted among the twinkling mosses of the caves. The dwarves had in some forgotten age learned industry in the caverns, scraping metal from the walls and slowly shaping it in deep pools of liquid fire. The dwarves, since time immemorial, had called the caverns their home.

The humans called the caverns the Underdark. The dwarves called them Thunenmafol: The Living Chambers.

---------------

Erush returned to the quarry. “I found them,” he said. “The caverns.”

Lorbam smiled as she worked. “Nice... Will we be movin’ down there?”

Erush sighed. “Too dangerous,” he said. “It took the old founders many years to tame the caverns back home, and these ones are virgin and wild. We’re not ready.”

Lorbam nodded. “So we need to wall ‘em off, then.”
“Aye. Let’s dig out a space over there--” Erush pointed-- “where Kel can do some stonecutting. We’ll need him to make some blocks from this granite.”
”Yeah, sure. And maybe the migrants can help seal the wall.”

Erush dropped his pick. “Migrants? What migrants?”

“Migrants,” said Lorbam. “They showed up a couple days ago; there was shoutin’ about it upstairs. You didn’t hear?”
No I didn’t hear!” And Erush ran for the stairs. “Keep digging-- I’ve got to know what this is about!”

---------------

Erush burst into the dining hall, collapsing onto a bench. “I... heard... we had... company?”
“That’s us!” said a scrawny dwarf with a chipper voice. “I’m Litast. That’s my husband Unib over there, and these--” Litast smiled and swept her arm-- “are our children.”
Erush nodded. “Welcome aboard. And who might you three be?”

The three other adults introduced themselves as Atir, Litast’s elder sister, Melbil, a cousin, and Doren, who was unrelated to any of the others and had decided to come separately.

“Matter of fact,” added Doren, “I’d never met this fine family until we bumped into each other on the road! We’ve been getting to know each other over the past day or so.”

Erush smiled. “Well, I’m delighted to have you all, of course... Surprised, though. Of all the places you could come-- why here? Why migrate to a tiny little fortress you’re not even sure exists, in this forest of all places?”

Litast became suddenly solemn. “Because,” she said, “you’ve stirred hope in the mountainhome. We were told a bunch of drunken hooligans had stolen some stuff and set off to found a fortress somewhere-- the guards dismissed it, said it wasn’t important. But who, in the last century, has founded a fortress?” Litast spread her hands in the air. “It’s unheard of!”

“We dwarves reclaim a site now and then, a smashed-up hillock or something, but not since the beginning of recorded history has anybody even tried to found a new site. We wanted the rumors to be true. We wanted them to be true, because if they were it meant a new chapter in our history-- and perhaps a change in the fortune of our race.”

Doren nodded and said: “We were willing to risk this trip, because if the rumors were true-- and seven drunks really had made a Founding-- we wanted to be a part of it. If the dwarven people were truly coming back into their own, we were willing to risk anything to make that happen.”

Erush was silent for a long moment. “...Well. Welcome to our fortress, such as it is. Thank you."
"Arrahh, think nuffin' of it," said Doren. "Wait'll you see the lot that's coming with the merchant caravan!"

Erush's eyes widened. "Merchants?"
"Merchants! I dunno why they're coming, but they're coming-- should be here in the fall."

---------------

18th of Malachite, 125

Eager to begin contributing to the life of the fortress, the five migrants of age began the slow work of walling off the caverns while Erush set himself to square out some of the hallways near the workshops and bedrooms.

It was while Erush was carving out a spare worskshop space (or maybe it was a stockpile?) that he found something that made his eyes gleam bright.

---------------

19th of Malachite, 125

Äs rested his hammer against the weapon rack, leaning against a wall for a breather. Four days straight he’d been practicing his combat drills, and still he did not understand them-- how would these help when the blind fury descended on him?

Suddenly a tremendous commotion erupted from behind the horses’ door.

Äs ran for the staircase, the shrieks of the horses ringing in his ears.

---------------

“Erush!” Äs burst into the bedroom floor, gasping.
“Hm?” Erush turned from the bedroom slot he'd been carving.

“Screaming... screaming behind the lockroom for the horses,” said Äs. “I think one finally starved, and something... set it moving again. It’s turned on the other one...”

Erush sighed. “Well,” he said, “at least now we know how this place works. Anything that dies here, something in the land gets into it somehow and forces its body back up again.”
“...Maybe. The varmints I killed outside didn’t get up, tho?”

“I don’t know,” said Erush. “Maybe they don’t reanimate if they already were once. Maybe if you hit them hard enough they stay down. We don’t know enough about this place to say!”
“Mm. Well, I’m gonna go swing my hammer around some more. Mebbe make sure the migrants know what’s going on; it’s a pretty awful noise up there. You can hear it in half the fortress.”

---------------

After four days, the screams from the horses ceased, replaced by a hideous nickering as the zombie exulted in its kill. Shuddering, Äs returned to his drills.

---------------

23rd of Malachite, 125

Tink. Tink. Tink. Copper on stone.

“So did you ever find magma down under the caverns?” asked Lorbam.
“I think... I think I might have found something,” said Erush. “A little patch of semi-molten rock, at the very bottom of the staircase. The caverns were so wonderful, I was hardly paying attention...”

Lorbam started. “Semi-molten-- that’s the magma layer! Why didn’t you say?”

And Lorbam ran for the staircase.

---------------

28th of Malachite

The past few days had been quiet ones, disturbed only by the foul nickerings of the reanimated horses. While Erush labored in the quarry, Lorbam continued her hunt for magma:

She'd find it. Eventually.

---------------

Erush poked his head into the mechanic’s workshop. “Hey, you busy?”
“Mm? Not really,” said Kel. “Just catching up on some old projects. What’s up?"

“We need some stonework done down below,” said Erush. “We cracked open the caverns a few days ago-- the migrants have been working day and night to wall off the staircase, but they’ve not been able to make progress because of the weight of the stone they’re using. We need blocks. For this, and for our future projects... don’t you have some construction plans in mind yourself?”

Kel grinned. “That I do. I’ll get to it-- I’ll need to put a temporary workshop up down there, though, so I don’t have to haul the granite all the way up the stairs to carve it...”
“Already thought of that,” said Erush. “I finished digging out a spot for you to work earlier today.”
“Nicee. I’m off, then!” And Kel, ducking out of his workshop, ran for the stairs.

---------------

8th of Galena

Tink. Tink. Tink. Copper on stone. Carefully Lorbam laboured under the stench of sulphur.

Tink-- tink-- tink-- *CRACK*

And a great chunk of stone glowed suddenly with lines of red fire. Lorbam wrenched her pick free, exultant.

The lines widened, spread, oozed-- and just as Lorbam began to back away, the rock gave way completely.

Lorbam ran.

Lorbam ran, fast as ever she could, as the wave of sulphuric heat rushed in behind her. Blood of the earth, soul of the fortress-- the magma rushed madly through the hole, a glorious torrent of liquid flame.

Somehow Lorbam escaped incineration, dashing up the stairs before the heat could consume her. Cackling, she made her escape. Cackling, the red light of the magma still in her eyes, Lorbam ran to tell the others of her earthshaking discovery.

---------------
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 03:19:04 pm by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hammertooth: Sealing breaches new and old
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 09:17:19 pm »

9th of Galena

Lorbam staggered into the quarries. “Heh.. heh heh... heh-heh-heh...”
“Whuh? You’re back!” said Erush. “...Why is your hair smoking?”

“I... heh heh... I hit magma,” said Lorbam. “A whole ocean of the stuff.”

“Oh! Excellent! ...Are you alright?”

“Never... better.”

“Your pupils are constricted.”

“Hm? Oh. It was... really bright down there,” said Lorbam, waving a hand over her eyes. “I’m okay. Really.”

Erush frowned. “Alright then? ...Change of subject,” he said. “Magma forges! How do we want to set ‘em up?”
“Hrm. Want I should get Kel?”

Erush shook his head and said, “Not for this. Magma-- metalwork-- this is our place to design.” Erush pulled a couple chunks of chalk from his pocket, tossing one to Lorbam. “Kel can have his bedroom complexes and his workshops-- we have this.”

Lorbam grinned, and the two dwarves began scribing designs on the granite floor.

---------------

Unib grunted as he set the last block of a wall-section into place. Sealing the caverns wasn’t particularly interesting work, but it was something to do-- more interesting than listening to those poets and their highfalutin historical sagas, anyway.

---------------

13th of Galena

Inod walked into the dining room, towards where some of the migrants were listening to one of Sakzul’s poems. “Hey guys-- I just finished some beds for y’all! Care to help me set them up?"

---------------

“Why are these... purple?”
“Um,” said Inod. “We cut the wood ourselves, so there was a lot of, uh, glumprong lying in the storeroom...”

Litast shrugged. “Not too different from some of the mushroom-wood back home, I s’pose.”

---------------

24th of Galena

While the migrants set up their bedrooms, Inod had taken it upon herself to finish work on the wall sealing off the caverns. Smiling, she slid the last block of granite into its slot.

---------------

Wrinkling her nose at the sulphuric smell, Tun descended to where the miners were digging out a magma reservoir. “Anyone down here?”

Erush clambered up. “Yeah? What’s going on?”
“Well...” said Tun, “remember what the migrants said about a caravan coming this autumn?”
“Oh yes... I’d forgotten about that. What of it?”
“It’s almost autumn. They’ll be here in a few weeks, and we don’t have a place for them...”

“Hm. Didn’t think of that," said Erush, frowning. "Well, I s’pose we can put our little magma project on hold for a bit and carve something out upstairs... thanks.”

Smiling, Tun turned and started back up the long staircase to the surface.

---------------

Just as the miners reached the workshop floor, Atis came running down, panicked. “Enemy! Enemy in the farms!”

“Enemy?” Äs came charging from the storeroom, beard dripping with plump helmet wine. “I’ll give it wot for!” Roaring, he lurched up the stairs.

Äs stumped back down, hammer sticky with blood and feathers.

“What was that?” asked Erush, incredulous.
“Kestrel,” growled Äs. “Dead one. I... took care of it.”
“But-- but how did it even get in here? I thought we locked the hatch?”

“Dunno... I need a drink,” said Äs.
“I thought you just had one?”
“Oh. Right.” Sighing, Äs stumbled back into his training room.

---------------

The two miners stood in the farm levels with Atis.

“It is locked,” said Erush, yanking on the hatch cover. “Nice and tight. Nothing short of a troll should be able to get in here.”

“Weird,” said Lorbam. “And even if the kestrel had broken through that thing, you’d expect it to be smashed up, yeah?”
“You would... unless...” Erush began prodding the ceiling with his back end of his pick. “Unless... ah! Here!” Erush jabbed the ceiling, and the pick handle poked right through.

“A hole-- right here, where Inod cut down that glumprong. Those twisty roots yanked a big
chunk of clay with them, right out of our roof! And look--” Erush pointed to a different part of the ceiling-- “same thing. There was a
tree there, and when Inod cut it down it took the ceiling with it.”

Atis stared at the ceiling, brow wrinkled. “Somehow I really feel we should have noticed that sooner.”

Erush shrugged. “Let’s just get these holes blocked up with some good granite.”

---------------

Äs clambered down to where the miners were digging out for the trade depot. “We got those holes plugged,” he said. “Nice and tight, a block of rock in each. Nothing’s getting in here again.”

Erush nodded. “Did you run into any... problems up there?”
“Nope," said Äs. "That skunk’s still prowling around, but didn’t come close-- smelly, but not too dangerous.”
Erush lowered his eyes a moment. “You know what? This’d be a good chance for us to do something on the surface... I need to go check something.”

---------------

With a final careful strike of the mason’s hammer, Kel finished squaring out another block of granite. It wasn’t the most interesting work-- didn’t take too much skill to square rock-- but Kel enjoyed it anyway, if only for the thought of what could be done with the blocks. So much to build, so little time!

Erush poked his head into the workshop. “Hey-- how’s the blockmaking going?”
“Eh, s’going alright!” said Kel. “I’ve got mebbe... what, thirty blocks carved out here?”
“Ex-cel-lent,” said Erush. “We’ll need them.”
“Eh? What’s up?”

“Us. There’s nothing up top but a dead skunk-- it’s a perfect time to do some construction work!”
Kel’s face lit up. “Construction work?” he said. “What sort of... construction work did you have in mind?”

“Walls,” answered Erush. “Defenses. Fortifications. Anything that keeps nasty stuff away from us.” Erush shrugged. “Got any ideas?”
“Ooh... do I ever,” said Kel, the chalk already in his hand. “I’ve had weeks to think about this stuff! Here, look--”

“Hm. Nice. Could we maybe put a couple watch towers in, though?” asked Erush, producing his own chalk and drawing a few quick marks of his own.

Kel grinned. “Now you’re learning to forget what the mountainhome taught you! What if we--”

The two dwarves scribbled designs into the floor of Kel’s workshop for a long time.

---------------

Erush and Kel threw open the hatch cover several hours later, followed by Äs, Inod and several of the migrants. As Kel marked a section of ground for construction, Erush explained the situation to the others:

“We’re not trying to build everything we have planned just yet-- just the central tower. We need a foothold in the surface, and that’s what you’ll focus on over the next few days. So... Äs? You’re on guard duty. Watch the woods, smash that skunk if it gets close, warn the others if something more dangerous comes along.”

Nodding, Äs turned his eye to the forest.

“Inod?” said Erush. “You’ll be cutting some of the trees around here. We need space to build, and more wood is always nice.”

With a quick grin, Inod turned her axe to the forest.

Erush nodded. “And Litast-- you and the others will be doing the masonwork. I’ll be downstairs helping Lorbam dig out a place for merchants; Kel will be cutting more granite for you. Thank you, everyone-- good luck up here!”

And the dwarves parted to their separate labours.

---------------

1st of Limestone, 125

When the first day of summer dawned, the dwarves were just beginning to find a foothold down under the earth. Now autumn had come, and the dwarves were moving to claim the surface-- and to prepare the way to greet the dwarves of the mountainhome.

It was good.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 03:25:47 pm by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hammertooth: Bloody revelation
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2018, 03:44:34 pm »

8th of Limestone, 125

Inod lifted the hatch cover. “Hey down there! Why’re you flooring over that stairway?”

“To make room for the trade depot!” yelled Erush. “We’ll get the stairways fixed in a moment!”
“How are we supposed to get in?”
“Just... keep working up there, okay? This won’t take long!”

Shrugging, Inod returned to her woodcutting.

---------------

9th of Limestone, 125

Erush had kept to his promise, at least. With a bit of careful deconstruction, the stairways were made again usable.

---------------

Erush poked his head into Kel’s workshop again. “Hey, could you take a break from blockcarving a moment? We need somebody to put together a trade depot real quick.”

“Sure thing!” said Kel, stumbling out from behind a pile of granite blocks. “What d’you want it built of?

“Eh, just use chalk,” said Erush. “There’s some right there, and we need that depot up now. No time to haul up big blocks of granite.”

Kel sighed. “Alright. Seems a shame, though...” And Kel, weaving his way through piles of his own masonry, made for the stairway.

---------------

11th of Limestone, 125

Äs came running into the clearing, new blood on his hammer. “Boys and gels, we need to move. Now.

“What’s going on?” asked Litast.

“Remember that skunk?” said Äs. “It finally got close enough to the clearing to notice us. I killed it... but now there’s a bunch of zombie kangaroos wandering around. I can’t kill those, and they’re coming closer. So... yeah. We need to be going.”

---------------

Back in the dining hall

“Were you able to make some progress up there, at least?” asked Kel.

Äs shrugged. “Sort of,” he said. “The builders were able to get up one wall, and somebody’d gotten started on a second, and Inod managed to cut down every tree on the build site but two. It’s a good start, but we’ll need to go back out there to get much really done.”

“Well, it’s a start,” said Kel. “We’ll get another chance.”

---------------

13th of Limestone, 125

---------------

With a satisfied grunt Kel wrestled the last hunk of chalk into place. It had been nice to do something architectural for a change.

---------------

Äs clambered down into the dining hall. “You lot aren’t doing much of anything right now, yes?”
“I suppose not,” said Doren.
“Great. Yer all drafted. The situation up top’s bad and only going to get worse; we need soldiers. Report to me at the weapon rack.”

Unib moaned. “Please, I can’t... I can’t stand fighting..."

Äs rolled his eyes. “Fine. Yer exempt. But only because you’d probably go insane at some point if I drafted yuh."

---------------

Äs had never been in charge of a squad before. Back home, he’d not even been part of an army-- what skill he had, he’d gotten by practicing alone half-remembered drills seen through a green glass window.

He’d learned a couple things here, though; the frenzied crushing of birds and rodents had taught him fighting and discipline. He wasn’t amazing with a hammer, perhaps, but he was at least adequate for this--

and today, he was a commander for the first time.

“You have been divided into three groups of two! You will spend these coming weeks learning the basics of dodging and unarmed combat, moving into shieldwork as soon as Inod makes some shields for yuh! You will, whenever not leading or watching a demonstration, practice constantly the individual combat drills I show yuh! In this way you will prepare yerself to recieve weapons; in this way you will prepare yerself to defend the fortress and-- one day-- to wreak havoc on this world!”

---------------

14th of Limestone, 125

“Are we sure this is the right place?”
“See the clearing over there? That’s the work of dwarves. This is it. I think I see a hatch cover, too!”

“The wagons won’t fit through that!” protested a merchant. “How’re we supposed to get the goods in?”
“Leave the wagons, bring the pack animals. It’s not like anything’s gonna steal our stuff-- this place doesn’t have anything with enough brain left to try.”

“I don’t like it,” said a hammerdwarf. “This place is dead. Dwarves don’t belong here!”
The outpost liaison shrugged. “Ours not to reason why. Come on.”

Unhitching their wagons from their pack animals, the merchants set out for the hatch cover with their lightened load. The hammerdwarf watched the forest behind them, muttering: “Ours not to reason why... ours but to horribly die.”

---------------

A merchant pointed into the forest, grinning. “Hey look, kangaroos!”
“Kanga-- wait.” The hammerdwarf in front stared hard into the forest. “Those... those are dead. And moving.

A merchant’s head snapped up. “Panic!

And they all ran around screaming for the rest of the day.

---------------

15th of Limestone, 125

The merchants, having regained their senses, began slowly creeping towards the hatch cover, pack animals in tow. Three days of terrified kangaroo-dodging later, they all made it inside.

---------------

18th of Limestone, 125

Atis came running down to the workshop floor. “Merchants! Merchants at the depot!”

Inod stumbled from her workshop. “Wha-- oh! Great! ...What are we supposed to sell them?”
Atis frowned. “I don’t know... we haven’t really been making trade goods,” he said. “Everything we’ve made, we need to survive.”

Inod groaned. “There’s gotta be something... wait! Wasn’t Kel working on something in the mechanic’s?”

---------------

“What are these things?”
Atis scrutinized the contents of the mechanic’s workshop closely. “Mechanisms,” he said. “They’re sets of components used in the construction of various devices requiring moving parts, such as levers, traps, and other more complex things.”

“Do we need them?”
“Mm... I don’t think so?”
“Are they valuable?”

“Perhaps?” said Atis. “I’m told a good mechanism is a fearsome device indeed, if used properly.”

Inod shrugged. “Good enough, I s’pose. We’ll see what Tun can get for ‘em.”
“Tun?”

“Tun,” said Inod. “Apparently Erush appointed her broker.”

---------------

Tink. Tink. Tink. Copper on stone, down in the magma.

“Greetings from the mountainhome, Erush Kizestlikot.”
Erush whirled. “What the-- who are you?”

“Tun Deduknoton, outpost liaison,” said the liaison.

“...How did you even get down here?”
“I walked.”
“Oh.” Erush looked uncomfortable. “Well.”

The liaison leaned against a wall. “We have much to discuss,” she said.

“Is this about the stealing-a-wagon-full-of-junk thing? Because I’ll have you know...”

“This is not about the stealing-a-wagon-full-of-junk thing,” said the liaison. “Those charges have been lifted. I came here to discuss something else-- something perhaps a bit more serious.”
“...What’s going on?”

“Tell me,” said the liaison. “Of all the places you could have possibly settled... why here?”
“Er. Would you believe we were drunk at the time?”

The liaison raised her eyebrows. “No, I’m not sure I would. But nevermind that-- tell me, when was the last time you slept?”

“Uh. Why do you need to know?”
“When was the last time you slept?”
“...A week ago,” said Erush. “But look, I don’t see why you’re asking about--”

“Your stonecrafter. The dwarf up trading with the merchants right now. How good is she at stonecrafting?”

“Oh, pretty adept at her craft by now. She’s been turning out some really exceptional rock pots lately.”

“Adept, you say. How good was she at stonecrafting when she came here?”
“Eh... just a novice, really. Why do you ask?"

“Do you have any idea,” said the liaison, “how quickly she’s been learning? I saw those pots on the way down here. The quality of those things is nigh-unparalleled, anywhere. That dwarf’s only been here for half a year-- at the rate she’s going, she’ll be turning out masterworks by spring! It takes most dwarves a lifetime to learn to produce masterworks, and most never do!"

The outpost liaison paused, breathing deeply. “You came here to found a fortress, something that’s not been done since the beginning of recorded history, on a drunken bet. You chose for your fortress a location nobody in their right minds would set foot in. You only eat, drink, or sleep what-- every week or two?”

“Wait,” said Erush, “how did you know about the eating and drinki--”

“Your stonecrafter has learned to rival the old masters of her trade in six months, and she’s not the only one who’s learning fast. Your mason, your carpenter-- the furniture here is of unusual quality, and according to my records those two were rank novices at their crafts when you left the mountainhome. This isn’t normal.

“Look, are you getting at something here?”

The liaison sighed. “There’s... old stories of this sort of thing happening. Folk tales. Nobody’s been able to connect those stories to reality, and a lot of people don’t really believe them to be true-- but those stories described exactly the same sort of thing as what seems to be happening here.”

“Wait. Do you mean that one with the elepha--”

“Yes, yes, that’s one of them,” said the liaison. “There’s a bunch of stories like that: stories about dwarven fortresses, fortresses founded in strange and inhospitable places, fortresses that didn’t follow the patterns of the mountainhomes. Sometimes the fortresses will be carefully designed, following some strange and exotic pattern. Sometimes the fortresses will be convoluted messes, seemingly without rhyme or reason, as if designed by madmen each with a deep hatred for the last ruler’s madness. But always-- always-- the stories tell of bloodshed. And always-- always-- one name appears in every story of this kind: Ar-mok.

The magma bubbled.

Erush frowned. “Ar-mok?”

Ar-mok,” said the liason, nodding. “Tell me, Erush Kizestlikot: do you know what lies hidden in the magma?”

This was an old drill; Erush had learned it as a child. “Adamantine,” said Erush. “This we have been taught since time began, and never have we touched it.”

“And why have we never touched it? Do you know, Erush Kizestlikot, what lies under the adamantine?”

“The underworld,” said Erush. “This we have learned from the goblins, spawn of the slade towers.”
The liaison nodded. “So we are told. But tell me, Erush Kizestlikot: do you know what is beneath the underworld?”

Erush frowned; this was not part of the drill. “...No.”

Ar-mok. Ar-mok is beneath the underworld.”

---------------

“What?”

“So they say, anyway,” said the liaison, shrugging. “The stories. I never really believed it... but now I’m not so sure. They say Armok is a being with many faces; they say Armok created this world and many like it for its own amusement. And they say that sometimes-- after 5 years, or 125 years, or 250, or 550, or 1050-- Armok takes seven dwarves, and puts his bloodlust in them, and sends them to an unforgiving land, and takes a fortress for his own.”

“Wait,” said Erush. “Are you saying that we--”

“I don’t know. I’ve no idea. Maybe. But Erush?”
“...Yes?”
“Call off that war against the elves. It’d be the ruin of our civilization.”
“I’ll... consider it.”

“The fortresses of Ar-mok only ever export one thing in the stories, Erush: death. Remember that.”

klonk
Sigtext

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Hammertooth: Uh, that map's upside down
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2018, 06:55:42 pm »

Do any undead crawl in the caverns? They can be bit of a menace with time.

Huh, utilizing depot over stairs?

I didn't expect it from a new player. Small issue, though: Can't construct hatches to seal them off if depot's on the stairs.

...Ah, you ditch rampway into depot. Well, playing it safe then. Though it's surprising that merchants returned after running away from apocalyptic australia.

But at least the Arm is ok!

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2018, 09:30:27 pm »

Do any undead crawl in the caverns? They can be bit of a menace with time.

Huh, utilizing depot over stairs?

I didn't expect it from a new player. Small issue, though: Can't construct hatches to seal them off if depot's on the stairs.

...Ah, you ditch rampway into depot. Well, playing it safe then. Though it's surprising that merchants returned after running away from apocalyptic australia.

But at least the Arm is ok!

- It's been something like five months, and I've not seen a single cavern creature-- it's kinda creeping me out, actually. At any rate, I've got the caverns completely sealed off for now.

- The stairway thing was kind of an accident, really... I was rearranging things, and forgot there were still dwarves outside.

- That depot is temporary-- I'm planning on putting up an aboveground one inside the wall complex with proper wagon access. Or rather, I was until those kangaroos showed up and disrupted everything... ugh.

I don't think I like apocalyptic Australia...

klonk
Sigtext

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2018, 10:18:12 pm »

Seems like a nice place to live to me- Although I myself would suggest setting up some scattered groups of cage traps for undead abomination capture and storage purposes upon the surface.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2018, 11:43:49 pm »

I see those references in that post, and I like them
Pages: 1 [2]