Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So, i'm gonna adapt Boatmurdered (and other DF stories) to the tabletop  (Read 1697 times)

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile

Yep. I'm sure it's been done before, but likely not quite as I'm doing it. my plan for it is:

An evil necromancer (or cult thereof) has made their home in boatmurdered, and is studying the secrets of Project: Fuck The World. (for bonus points in dwarven lore, the necromancer is going to be named after a certain infamous adventurer). The Party has recieved a letter from the dwarven king (possibly Cacame), that this necromancer has become a problem and needs to be stopped. Said necromancer has surrounded their fortress with a certain spell (In pathfinder at least) that makes a mile radius around the fort essentially an evil biome. Perhaps he has imprisoned or resurrected megabeasts, to.

I plan to at least add:
The entirety of Boatmurdered in it's lava  scorched glory.
Said necromancer villain
A party of undead based on dwarf fortress' many notable adventurers.
Burning skeletal elephants
Artifacts, also based on dwarf fortress' notable histories, in order to give this version of boatmurdered that much more personality.
A couple homebrewed material modifiers to make weapons in this dungeon have their own flair.
Monsters from DF in tabletop form.

Your thoughts? I'm thinking I'll use Pathfinder as the native system, and later port it to 5e.
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update

Run it in BECMI

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test

Holistic Detective?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile

Holistic Detective?
? I know theyre one of the overseers from boatmurdered, but i get them confused a little.

Run it in BECMI

Whats BECMI?
My mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

kingawsume

• Bay Watcher
  • Still wondering why orang man and meme man feud.
    • View Profile
    • Sig Text

I'd play it. PTW.
Urist McZombie, werecarp, has taken form! A giant carp twisted into a humanoid form. Its eyes glow blue. Its fins are purple. Now you will know to fear the night.
"Problems with playing in evil biomes"

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update

Holistic Detective?
? I know theyre one of the overseers from boatmurdered, but i get them confused a little.

Run it in BECMI

Whats BECMI?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons_Basic_Set

For when you want clunky mechanics to encourage !!FUN!!

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

Holistic Detective?

Run it in BECMI

Whats BECMI?

HD was also an infamous dwarf in one of the early succession forts. I believe she was famous for murdering everything by smashing it into the stratosphere with nothing but a backpack due to the old military system being totally unusable.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

saharo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Of course such an adaptation would be awesome :D
If you're about emerging storytelling - and I suppose you are being both a Dwarf Fortress and classic pen&paper rpg fan/player - give a look to these two modern masterpieces:
Both give you awesome instruments to create a story that spawns from the elements in real time while you play, instead of creating a story for your players to explore. Not that the first thing is not doable with Pathfinder/D&D, but FATE and Dungeon World are two notable examples of pen&paper rpgs in the current indie scene that are specifically designed to create a story on the fly with the player.

Ok, my moment of advertisement is done :D Love your idea, no matter how you implement it :)
Be sure to live-stream the gaming session once you manage to put all the pieces together :D