Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Romekbomrek, or "The Story of How a Fortress Fell to Wereshrews"  (Read 546 times)

kingawsume

• Bay Watcher
  • Still wondering why orang man and meme man feud.
    • View Profile
    • Sig Text

Standard embark site, calm surroundings with a mountain behind us, river in front, and a forest in between.
Y1 was very uneventful. Got 2 moods which created a goose bone door from a 2 year old child, and goose leather buckler from a novice rusty tanner who stood patiently for me to remember to build a leather work shop for three months.

Spring of year 2, life's boring as all hell. My population consists almost evenly split between worthless wastes of booze children and useful adults, a 46 to 50 split between a 96 pop fort. I hadn't remembered to build a militia yet, mainly because I thought I'd hadn't created enough dwarf-bucks to warrant a threat approaching. I had started the creation of armor, but hadn't set up defenses.

Apparently, smoothing and engraving an entire dining hall attracts a lot of the wrong attention. :P

Early summer brings me a wereshrew. I think, "There's no one outside for him to attack, so I'll just lock the doors and ready up some dwarves," right? Wrong. The recent migrant wave brought 8 fishery workers, and it just so happened that I hadn't turned off the fishing labor and hadn't looked at the units list since then.

First attack is a hit and run near the river, just one casualty of an aforementioned fisherdwarf. He transformed around the time he killed him, and proceeded to run off the edge of the map, the bloody elf coward. I think he's gone, right? Nope, the bastard camped somewhere off the edge of the map until the next full moon, then caught my dwarves off guard penning some animals. He killed 3 pieces of livestock, and mangled up some dwarves in the process of his deadening. In my haste to get the hospital set up, I completely forgot to check the combat reports to see who had been bitten. This is what I ended up with.
Spoiler: The weredwarves. (click to show/hide)
Death toll: in the 40s.
The next round was worse; we were down to almost single digits when the cursed were transformed.
The survivors are anywhere from too depressed to too stressed to stumbling oblivious through the miasma to deal with the corpses and the caravan just left.

The end is nigh. But at least there was FUN to be had.
Urist McZombie, werecarp, has taken form! A giant carp twisted into a humanoid form. Its eyes glow blue. Its fins are purple. Now you will know to fear the night.
"Problems with playing in evil biomes"

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Romekbomrek, or "The Story of How a Fortress Fell to Wereshrews"
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 07:07:03 pm »

This was how my first fortress fell, and how it's first reclaim fell, except weresquirrel