Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Edit Dwarf Name  (Read 628 times)

Bjiip

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Worldsmith
    • View Profile
Edit Dwarf Name
« on: May 23, 2018, 11:48:38 pm »

Many years ago, I used a nifty utility called Dwarf Companion.  It had all sorts of cheaty features, which I never used.  But it had one feature which I found indispensable- changing a Dwarf's first and last names.  (What can I say? I am guilty of roleplaying.)

Dwarf Companion seems to be a thing of the past.  But is there another good way to do this?

If there isn't, I'm guessing I'm writing a dfHack LUA script.  Any scripts that I should look at for examples?  Otherwise, I'll start with make-legendary and stumble on from there.

If it helps, I am mostly wanting to set dwarves' last names to be the same within a family.

Elderon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Edit Dwarf Name
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 08:03:40 pm »

There is a dfhack command "names" that allow you to change dwarf first and last name. A little bit tedious but it get job done.

Bjiip

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Worldsmith
    • View Profile
Re: Edit Dwarf Name
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 11:30:02 pm »

Thanks!  I hadn't known about that.

That does teach me some things, but unfortunately, it doesn't do exactly what I want.  The problem is that it doesn't change their "translated" name.

I had a dwarf named "Athel [Dwarfish for Lockglaze]".  I tried renaming him to "Hector [Ancientglaze]".  When I went to the 'u' unit selection menu, he showed correctly as Hector [Ancientglaze].  But when I look with 'v', it has his new (Hector) name untranslated, but below that it shows his old name translated.  Ie.,

Hector [Ancientglaze]
"Athel Lockglaze"

That's just confusing-- I need both to match.  Any ideas why changing one doesn't change the other?