Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Endless burial  (Read 1461 times)

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Endless burial
« on: May 24, 2018, 04:41:51 am »

Hi,
I have unmodded DF 44.10 and a reanimating biome. A dwarf had died and rose from the dead before I got her body away from it. She wandered away on her own and was persuaded with a sock to die again, this time not on a reanimating biome. I'd like to have her buried. I constructed a coffin, placed it and set it to allow burials. Now the body sits on the coffin and generates burial tasks again and again. A dwarf comes, goes to the tile with the coffin and the body and goes away. The body is still left on the coffin and generates new burial job, so same/another dwarf comes and the situation repeats itself. There is no cancellation announcement.

What is going on?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Endless burial
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 06:19:10 am »

The issue is that the corpse is the corpse of an undead, and thus belongs in the refuse stockpile, while at the same is a corpse of a dorf, and ought to be buried.
It's a known bug http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10396.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 07:21:02 am »

Until the bug is fixed, one solution is to memorialize your dead with slabs, and store the corpses in the non-reanimating biome (since you have it), preferably in an atom-smasher/magma pit so dwarfs cannot see their friends decompose.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 11:43:22 am »

In a reanimating biome, smash everything that used to be alive, ASAP. Otherwise you'll get stress cascades as 40 dwarves at a time feel vengeful every time somebody's hand starts crawling around on its own.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 04:43:40 pm »

Thanks for the replies.

Quote from: PatrikLundell
Using DFHack to change the "dead_dwarf" flag on the skeleton in a52's save causes the corpse to be laid to rest in the coffin, while without that hack there is indeed a repeating task to put the corpse into the coffin.
Setting up a corpse stockpile did not cause the flag hacked corpse to be tasked for hauling to it, so it seems setting that flag might be sufficient to solve (or at least work around) the problem.
This is in the comments section of the bug tracker page linked above. Which dfhack command/plugin/script can be used to modify flags on skeletons/entities in general?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 05:01:32 pm »

Thanks for the replies.

Quote from: PatrikLundell
Using DFHack to change the "dead_dwarf" flag on the skeleton in a52's save causes the corpse to be laid to rest in the coffin, while without that hack there is indeed a repeating task to put the corpse into the coffin.
Setting up a corpse stockpile did not cause the flag hacked corpse to be tasked for hauling to it, so it seems setting that flag might be sufficient to solve (or at least work around) the problem.
This is in the comments section of the bug tracker page linked above. Which dfhack command/plugin/script can be used to modify flags on skeletons/entities in general?
gui/gm-editor without any parameter when the skeleton is loo'k'ed at. This will bring up the gui/gm-editor overlay on top of DF displaying the data for the object selected (and it can be used on dorfs, and buildings as well, selected with appropriate commands). This interface allows you to traverse the data structure and change fields.

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 11:59:07 pm »

I didn't find the dead_dwarf flag anywhere when using gui/gm-editor. I was able to set it using lua though.
Code: [Select]
lua
local item = dfhack.gui.getSelectedItem()
item.flags.dead_dwarf = true
quit
... did the trick for me. I found inspiration when googling this forums. Thanks again!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 03:49:30 am »

You should find the dead_dwarf flag by going down into the "flags" element with gui/gm-editor. Each "." indicates a level down into the structure, and you start at the "item" level, showing all entries inside that, then go down into the "flags" element, where you should find the "dead_dwarf" element to toggle that.

Personally I don't use "raw" lua, but always write a script I invoke, because it's rare that I get it right on the first try, so editing a text file is a lot easier than retyping (with the associated risk of typos).

Kametec_Housen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 12:32:24 pm »

Yes, I browsed various flag vectors, but didn't notice dead_dwarf, but that can be just me being blind. And I didn't come up with the script myself, I've just modified
Code: [Select]
local item = dfhack.gui.getSelectedItem()
if item then
if item.flags.dead_dwarf == true then
item.flags.dead_dwarf = false
end
end
I discarded the checks, because I wanted just one-time script, I made sure I had corpse that I wanted fixed selected.