Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dark theme for wiki  (Read 2821 times)

Pixel-Axe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dark theme for wiki
« on: May 24, 2018, 05:44:13 pm »

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I just wanted to share this dark theme I made for the wiki.
There are some issues that I can't really fix with some of the tables within the content and that is because it is all done with inline styling  >:(
I have no way of targeting the correct elements as they change from page to page :(

You will need to have the stylish plugin installed in your browser and then download the user style below.
Link: Dark Theme

Open to new ideas and recommendations :)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Dark theme for wiki
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 05:45:19 pm »

That does look pretty neat!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Pixel-Axe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 05:55:07 pm »

That does look pretty neat!

Thank you! :)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 07:46:01 pm »

This is my first post and I just wanted to share this dark theme I made for the wiki.
There are some issues that I can't really fix with some of the tables within the content and that is because it is all done with inline styling  >:(
I have no way of targeting the correct elements as they change from page to page :(
The {{av}} template (with versions) at the top has the "version-table" class, which might help. You might have to apply "!important" a lot for it to work, which isn't great. I'm pretty sure most message boxes have some kind of class you can use to locate them (but maybe not all - feel free to add classes to templates if you want, though, or suggest changes that would help).

And I know inline styles aren't great - we don't have much of a choice because
- these templates can be edited by any user, so CSS being in the templates makes changes easier (allowing users to edit site-wide styles is a bad idea)
- changes to the site-wide styles take a long time to propagate (due to caching), and could fail to match updates to templates themselves
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Pixel-Axe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 10:47:39 pm »

(feel free to add classes to templates if you want, though, or suggest changes that would help).
I have not joined the wiki yet but I'm assuming this means I can join and then create templates for people to use.
The biggest change would be if we could enforce the use of classes (which we can if they use templates that we create), but I know the content is created by other users so not sure if anything can even be done about it

And I know inline styles aren't great - we don't have much of a choice because
- these templates can be edited by any user, so CSS being in the templates makes changes easier (allowing users to edit site-wide styles is a bad idea)
- changes to the site-wide styles take a long time to propagate (due to caching), and could fail to match updates to templates themselves
Yea I assumed this as I was styling it.

Also are you the admin for the wiki? If so is there anything that I can do that might help that you know of?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 09:11:11 am »

(feel free to add classes to templates if you want, though, or suggest changes that would help).
I have not joined the wiki yet but I'm assuming this means I can join and then create templates for people to use.
The biggest change would be if we could enforce the use of classes (which we can if they use templates that we create), but I know the content is created by other users so not sure if anything can even be done about it
Are you familiar with Mediawiki templates? Pretty much every box like that is a template (I can't think of any that aren't), which means their styles can be modified in a single place (and class attributes can be added).

For example, the first box in your screenshot is the {{old}} template, and it wouldn't be hard to add a class to that. {{av}}, which I mentioned before, already has a class attached.

Also are you the admin for the wiki? If so is there anything that I can do that might help that you know of?
I'm an admin. Can't think of much off the top of my head that needs to be done.

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Pixel-Axe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 02:33:36 am »

Are you familiar with Mediawiki templates? Pretty much every box like that is a template (I can't think of any that aren't), which means their styles can be modified in a single place (and class attributes can be added).

For example, the first box in your screenshot is the {{old}} template, and it wouldn't be hard to add a class to that. {{av}}, which I mentioned before, already has a class attached.

I was not aware of the templates but I am now, I just looked at them. So yea I see what you mean by them being easily modified.

I'm an admin. Can't think of much off the top of my head that needs to be done.

Ah ok just checking. Also I tried to joined but It said to message you. Is this an ok place to make that request or is there a topic already?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 07:28:24 am »

Just enter anything in the captcha field and it should work.

Pixel-Axe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 07:34:11 am »

That worked, thank you

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 06:09:44 pm »

Can you make links yellow or some other bright colour so they stand out? Dark blue on dark blue isn’t very good
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Pixel-Axe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 11:38:01 am »

Can you make links yellow or some other bright colour so they stand out? Dark blue on dark blue isn’t very good

You mean after they are visited?

Like this (workshop, gnomeblight and labor links are links I visited):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 12:09:38 pm by Pixel-Axe »