Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can an intelligent creature be a pet?  (Read 1301 times)

SoggyGoat

• Bay Watcher
  • Some call them clowns... I call them bitches.
    • View Profile
Can an intelligent creature be a pet?
« on: May 25, 2018, 12:19:18 am »

Howdy! I'm wondering if a creature can be both INTELLIGENT (that is, can speak and can learn) and also be TRAINABLE/PET/MOUNT etc?

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can an intelligent creature be a pet?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 01:09:29 am »

I can definitely say that Intelligent+Pet can be done.  It is weird, though.  Intelligent pets come with skills, but cannot be assigned labors and behave like some sort of strange long term resident.  I don't know if they are war/hunting trainable but they appear in the animal screen so they probably are.
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

Aurum System

• Bay Watcher
  • (Gai, and others) (They/Them collectively)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 01:12:54 am »

Trainable breaks things, but you can assign intelligent pets labors if you use Dwarf therapist.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 01:16:59 am »

Not sure about now but in older versions elves would often bring animal people as caged pets for sale.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

thefriendlyhacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 02:06:48 am »

Trainable breaks things, but you can assign intelligent pets labors if you use Dwarf therapist.
Not any more.  Now Dwarf Therapist treats them as non-citizens, like mercs and scholars, and won't let you change labors.  Even using the cheat option which lets you give children labors doesn't do anything.

I just tried using dfhack and gui/gm-editor to change an intelligent pet's labors directly through memory editing and even that doesn't work (with the exception of fishing, weirdly enough).  AFAICT, if it doesn't count as a citizen, then it doesn't do anything besides reactions with no skill (i.e. levers and skill-less custom reactions). Note that IIRC scholars will also carry out skill-less reactions.

I have heard before that pets will eventually apply for citizenship and then become valid for labors with Dwarf Therapist, but I haven't seen it myself.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 02:10:35 am by thefriendlyhacker »
Fallout Equestria Redux - that's right, it's back

Aurum System

• Bay Watcher
  • (Gai, and others) (They/Them collectively)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 06:39:39 am »

They have to be citizens first, if you embark with them they count as citizens unless Toady fixed that.
You have to wait about 2 years for them to petition to be part of the fort.

I've played as goblins and embarked with a bunch of trolls for a ton of free labor.

SoggyGoat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 06:59:35 am »

I'm not too concerned with them being able to do labors but I will keep that in mind. Because of the type of creature they are (I'll explain later ;) ) I though it would make sense for them to be pets but also be able to talk and interact with people is all.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 10:22:28 am »

Masterwork used to have fisher gremlins for kobolds, which were pet gremlins that had natural fishing skill so that they'd automatically have the fishing labor enabled. They would go and fish for you. It was pretty fun.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 12:22:00 pm »

There's also the Mostly Mythical Monsters mod, which has brownies and plump helmet men as sapient pets used by humans and dwarves that can do labour around your fortress (though they can rebel if mistreated).
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

SoggyGoat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 01:00:02 pm »

I believe I've figured out that giving them the [SLOW_LEARNER] and [CAN_SPEAK] tokens does what I need it to. They can't do labors in Fort mode but if you try to talk to them in Adventure mode you can. So basically my dwarves are now butchering talking cows  :P