Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Dorwaf and how to speak it  (Read 12643 times)

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
Dorwaf and how to speak it
« on: May 25, 2018, 03:42:34 am »

[A word of warning: This is LONG. I just found out that posts on this forum are capped at 40,000 characters. This is going to be coming at you in sections.]

Version 0.27.95

The shortcomings of the existing language_DWARF.txt are well-known. In brief, it's fine for expressing names of people, places, landforms, etc., but good luck using it for actual communication. A few months ago, I tested its abilities with a very simple sentence: "Go kill a sheep." The attempt failed spectacularly, as not one of those words is to be found there; the closest I could get was "Walk butcher old lamb." I experimented with a few more sentences, usually with even worse results. I set out to rectify this by creating a new language, called Dorwaf, which is its own word for dwarf.

There have of course been previous attempts to improve dwarven communication—most notably in the thread, The Edification of Dwarven Language. These earlier lexicographers did a pretty good job, but they didn't go far enough: They tried to preserve the existing vocabulary. You simply can't construct a good language based on already-sophisticated words like "clutter", "pinnacle", and "harvester". You have to use only the simplest of concepts, such as "I", "food", "big", and "no", as your initial building blocks. So, I decided to re-invent the entire thing—with the composition of each word now closely tied to its definition. I started with the Swadesh list, and expanded that into a set of ideas that I considered to be too ancient and/or too basic to be broken down into components. Then, I gave each concept a one-syllable word. These are the root words of Dorwaf, and all other, polysyllabic words are created by combining them: The word for fortress is "defend-home". Pregnant is "baby-swollen". Shoddy is "bad-make". Nut is "shell-plant-egg". And so on. So, point by point:
   1: With a full complement of conjunctions, pronouns, prepositions, etc., Dorwaf can be used to express a very wide variety of thoughts, with a precision and complexity comparable to real-world languages.
   2: The vocabulary is currently at over 3,100 core words—which can be multiplied enormously by applying the various prefixes & suffixes.
   3: Similarly-spelled words have similar meanings. After enough exposure, a reader will be able to look at a word they've never seen before, and still be able to make a good guess at its definition, or even deduce its exact meaning by reading its roots.
   4: The inverse of point 3, users will be able to coin new words in a very logical process: They can either combine existing roots into a new compound word, or (if it truly seems justified) they can assign an unclaimed root word that's similar to an already-existing root with a related meaning. For instance, chás / lizard is deliberately very similar to the more basic cháf / reptile, which in turn was based on the even more fundamental sáf / animal. (In fact, cháf is an amalgam of sáf and chóf / scale).

Dorwaf has no cases, declensions, conjugations, or genders. There are also no adverbs: no distinction is made between modifying a noun and modifying a verb. What the language does have is a system of prefixes & suffixes, which is very important and must be spelled out in detail. Some may be applied to multiple parts of speech, and most can also be used as individual words. All prefixes use a consonant-vowel structure: C-V, while all suffixes are V-C. This rule holds true even when they are used as standalone words. All other syllables have a construction of C-V-C, consonant-vowel-consonant. As a word moves between parts of speech (e.g., skeptic / skepticism / distrust / skeptical), these changes are indicated by vowel shifts.
   Sentence structure is largely identical to English, with two exceptions. The first is verb placement: The location of the (primary) verb determines whether the sentence is a statement, question, or instruction. The second is adjective placement: In Dorwaf, adjectives are always placed after the word or phrase that they modify—in direct contrast to English, which usually places them before. In other words, dwarves say the most important word (the noun or verb) first, and then the adjectives in decreasing order of importance. Curiously, they generally take the exact opposite tack when combining roots into compound words, with the most important root coming last, and those that describe that root coming before it. For example, the word for elf is hélwáf, "tree-person", a person associated with trees. Pick is gàklòd, "stone-hit", a striking tool used on stone.
   Historically, dwarven sentences were rather short and simple, needing no punctuation beyond the basic period, question mark, and exclamation point—with the latter being written down only rarely. But as influences from other races come creeping in, dwarves are adopting the human quotation mark, and even beginning to write longer sentences that use the elvish comma.

The Alphabet
   The consonants of the Dorwaf alphabet are based on the (simplified) phonetics of the Angerthas Moria, the most well-known set of runes used by J.R.R. Tolkien's dwarves. Its vowels, meanwhile, are taken directly from Tarn Adams's Original Dwarven—albeit with å replaced by ü, mainly for consistency. This gives a full alphabet of 48 letters (and digraphs):
a á â à ä b d e é ê è ë f g h i í î ì ï j k l m n o ó ô ò ö p r s t u ú û ù ü v w y z ch ng sh th zh
Curiously, neither Tolkien's dwarves nor Toady's seem to care that the digraph 'th' actually represents two different sounds (depending on whether it's voiced or unvoiced). So, as their scripts do not distinguish between the two, then written Dorwaf won't either. (Then again, if the game did support a separate glyph for the other 'th', that would bring the number of letters to 49. The number 7 is of symbolic significance to dwarves, and 7 × 7 = 49.) As far as capital letters are concerned, it's worth mentioning that no words in Dorwaf can begin with a vowel using a diacritical mark, or with the 'ng' digraph—so unless you're writing in ALL CAPS, uppercase diacriticals and the capital eng will virtually never be needed (by dwarves, anyway—other languages might still use them).

The Vowels
   Dwarves have the amazingly helpful idiosyncrasy of pronouncing their vowels differently, depending on which role the word fulfills in a sentence. Thus, merely by looking at the diacritical mark over a word's vowel(s), or hearing the difference in its spoken inflection, the reader / listener can identify the part of speech of the clear majority of words.
VERBS are indicated with a circumflex ( â ). e.g.:   tûg=remember  lâk=cushion  nûgwêth=persuade  sôfhûp=wear
NOUNS all have an acute ( á ) or grave ( à ) accent.   tùg=memory  làk=pillow  nùgwèth=persuasion  sòfhùp=clothing
ADJECTIVES use a diaeresis ( ä ) over the vowel.   tüg=memorable  läk=soft  nügwëth=persuasive  söfhüp=dressed
MISCELLANEOUS words—articles, conjunctions, prepositions, and pronouns—use no diacriticals at all, nor do the various prefixes & suffixes.
   Nouns that are alive, or perishable goods that have very recently been alive, use the á mark. The à is used for inorganic objects, or materials that can be made into them, and also for immaterial concepts. There is some case-by-case fluidity on this matter: For example, youth is spelled tìz when discussing the condition of being young, and tíz when describing a young person. The words for hide and fur change their diacritics during the tanning process, and nouns like sóflóz / scratch vary depending on what got scratched. "Non-living" nouns are also frequently the noun forms of certain verbs: Consider the verb fôr, which means to kiss. Noun 1 (living) of that word is fór, a lip, while noun 2 (non-living) is fòr, a singular kiss.
   In polysyllabic words, all the vowels (except those in prefixes & suffixes) technically have the same diacritical mark, but in actuality only 1 or 2 of them are written down: If a core word has 3 or more syllables, the standard practice is to show the diacritics on the first & last vowels only, with the other vowels left blank, to save time in writing—they are understood to have the same mark as their fellows.

The Syllables
   Dwarves consider certain consonant sounds, in relation to their neighboring vowels, to be too difficult to pronounce conveniently. For this reason, there are no Dorwaf syllables that begin with 'ng', and also no syllables that end in 'h', 'w', or 'y'. This is obviously not the case for humans (the Vietnamese begin words with 'ng' all the time)—but dwarves aren't humans. Since all Dorwaf root words are just 3 letters long, consonant-vowel-consonant, this gives us 22 letters that can start a word, and 20 letters that can end a word. 22 consonants × 5 vowels × 20 consonants = 2,200 possible 3-letter root words. At present, I'm only using 615 of them, leaving plenty of room for expansion.

I gave the language its rules for a variety of reasons. Some, like having no diphthongs (two vowels together, & pronounced as one), and the rigid C-V-C syllable structure, are continuations or exaggerations of the traditions set forth by Toady One & Threetoe. Others are largely for flavor, to make Dorwaf more distinct from other DF languages. For example, the existing goblin language seems to use 'ng' noticeably more often than Original Dwarven—this makes for a useful hallmark to distinguish the tongues, so I accentuated the difference: Dorwaf uses 'ng' only in the latter half of a syllable, and only in words with connotations of being evil, disgusting, or otherwise undesirable. Let the other races, which might not have Dorwaf's useful system of 25 vowels, make use of things like diphthongs, double letters, accented syllables, and glottal stops.

The Vocabulary
   I'm not even going to try to make it share space with anything else. Expect one post that's nothing but a spoiler hiding the Dorwaf -> English list, and then a second post with the spoilered English -> Dorwaf list. (The same words, just with different columns alphabetized).
The format of each line is [ Dorwaf word : ENGLISH EQUIVALENT : Part of speech : Definition ]. The definition may become useful later on if Toady ever decides to incorporate a dwarven dictionary into the game . . . but for now, it serves no purpose other than to clarify meaning in those words where I think confusion might arise, and is therefore currently blank for all words except these few.

Some of the vocabulary, notably when it comes to classifying plants & animals, is somewhat less than accurate. For example, the word for aardvark translates to "none-shell-armadillo", and pangolin is "sharp-armadillo". This makes sense in terms of the animals' appearance, diet, and behavior, but all three of these these creatures are actually unrelated. This reflects the fact that dwarves generally aren't that interested in biology, and don't much care about inaccuracies in that arena. (Their jargon for petrology and metallurgy, however, is spot on.) I also tried to fit as many of the cavern creatures into existing clades (bird, insect, reptile, etc.) as I could, but since the caverns are going to be undergoing a major rewrite anyway, I just created the new "monster" and "elemental" clades, and dumped a lot of them in there.

The Verbs
   The location of a sentence's primary verb indicates what type of sentence it is. Most common is the simple declarative statement, with the verb in the middle (between the subject & predicate):
Udib sûn sut ken yùdmutsèj. = "Udib walk to the river." = Udib is walking to the river.
Stinthad kît ken sòrwùm. = "Stinthad have the cap." = Stinthad has a cap.
   Placing the verb at the start of the sentence turns it into an inquisitive question.
Sûn Udib sut ken yùdmutsèj? = "Walk Udib to the river?" = Is Udib walking to the river?
Kît Stinthad ken sòrwùm? = "Have Stinthad the cap?" = Does Stinthad have a cap?
   And setting a sentence's verb all the way at the end makes it an imperative instruction (which may or may not be exclaimed).
Udib sut ken yùdmutsèj sûn. = "Udib to the river walk." = Udib, walk to the river.
Stinthad ken sòrwùm kît! = "Stinthad the cap have!" = Make sure Stinthad has a cap!
   Exception: If there are adjectives describing the verb, they still come directly after the verb.

The other way of asking a question in Dorwaf is to begin the sentence with one of the familiar Who / What / When / Where / Why / How interrogative words, but even then the verb follows immediately afterward: It is "Bich gîtchuksûn vakez?" / "When meet we?", not "When do we meet?". This follows the same pattern as the English phrases "Who goes there?", "How are you?", "What is the matter?", etc.

When a sentence has multiple verbs, but they take equal precedence in meaning, that's no problem, just treat both verbs as a unit and move them around as you would a single one:
Tez ken zhér pêlsêd gis gâkfôf. = "You the wheat threash and grind." = (I want you to) Thresh and grind the wheat.
Pêlsêdith gis gâkfôfith tez ken zhér? = "Thresh-past and grind-past you the wheat?" = Did you thresh and grind the wheat?
Ri kez pêlsêdith gis gâkfôfith ken zhér. = "Yes I thresh-past and grind-past the wheat." = Yes, I threshed and ground the wheat.
   But when verbs are nested, when a verb calls up a dependent clause that contains its own verb, then it gets tricky. Mentally place parentheses around each successive clause and treat each one like its own sentence—it might not be in the same tense, or have the same type of verb placement, as the other parts of the sentence. For example:
Do you remember when (Urvad said (he was going to train a war elephant someday))?
There are three verbs: remember, say, and train. ("Do", "was", and "going" are also verbs, in English, but they will be dropped during the translation.) The outer sentence, with Do you remember X, is a question set in the present tense. The middle sentence, Urvad said X, is a statement in the past tense. And the inner sentence, He will train a war elephant someday, is a statement set in the future tense. Each must be translated separately, and then combined.
"remember you that" = tûg tez bek      
"Urvad talk-past that" = Urvad mûrith bek   
"person-male train-future elephant war other year-future" = wávep shûkzitzêfiv jófhór püpjunyëth sët bìviv
Tûg tez bek Urvad mûrith bek wávep shûkzitzêfiv jófhór püpjunyëth sët bìviv? = Do you remember when Urvad said he will train a war elephant someday?

In Dorwaf as well as English, there are also verbs that do little or nothing by themselves, except introduce other verb clauses. These are auxiliary verbs such as can, might, request, prefer, and shall. A few English translations are only approximate equivalents, so some clarification is necessary:
thîk / need : The action (or object) is required, for some critically essential purpose.
chîk / must : The action is 100% guaranteed to occur, there is no way for it not to happen.
zîk / shall : The action has been ordered or mandated by an authority figure.
yît / should : The action would produce a desirable result or net benefit.
Some auxiliary verbs express probability: chîp / could means that an action is statistically possible, chîb / might means there's at least a plausible chance of success, and chît / can means the action is reliably within the subject's capabilities.

The Pronouns
   Dorwaf has one word, sav, for both it and this. It can be used to refer to inanimate objects, living things, and people indiscriminately, although more formal conversation does tend to use the pronoun wav instead, specifically for sentients—similar to English's generic "one" pronoun, such as in "One does what one must". The language also has a form to specify that the person or thing being referenced is separated in some way (usually distance) from the conversation. Pluralizing pronouns is as simple as adding the prefix va- / many. More specific quantitative prefixes may also be applied, such as mosav / these four, or sokez / all of us.

Dorwaf English  Dorwaf
English
kez
1st person singular
I / me

vakez
1st person plural
we
tez
2nd person singular
you
vatez
2nd person plural
you all
sav
3rd person singular
it / this
vasav
3rd person plural
they / these
wav
3rd pers. sing. sent.
vawav
3rd pers. plu. sent.
suv
4th person singular
it / that
vasuv
4th person plural
they / those

Note that the pronoun suv / that is an entirely different word from the conjunction bek / that, which is used to separate clauses in a sentence.
   Other pronouns include chuk / here, setchuk / there, and setbif / then, each referencing a place or time that has already been established (either in conversation, or by simple mutual presence).

The Proper Nouns
   The names of specific people, places, and things in Dorwaf are usually written without diacritical marks. The marks can be added if the user wishes, although doing so might interfere if anyone later wanted to "verb" or "adjective" that noun by changing the diacriticals. For example, if the proper noun in question was "Mexico", then you would describe food dishes invented there as Mëxicö zhìp / Mexican food. If you want to redub a Japanese anime into English (and probably make some contextual changes as well) for an English-speaking audience, you would say that you want to Ênglând / Anglicize that movie. If you want to say that Malcom X converted to Islam, you could say that he Îslâmith. (Because there is no rule against beginning a proper noun with a vowel, this is the only known case of a possible capitalized diacritical.)

The Prefixes
   Prefixes include the specific numbers 1 through 10: the nickname Urist the Seven-Fingered could be written as "Urist seven-finger", Urist Nezhód. Prefixes may be stacked: menasòjbùm means twenty-eight chairs. (Dwarves are quite familiar with their base-10 number system, and place value.) When numbers are stacked with other prefixes, the numbers are always placed first, the furthest from the core word. The word nu / ten is quite rare, used only when the total is exactly ten. The number 2310 is spoken "two-three-one-null", not "two-three-ten". Dwarves have no words for specific numbers larger than ten, although some are beginning to use the human words for hundred and thousand. Numbers are also sometimes used when quantifying adjectives, usually to exaggerated effect: Likot sêf 3jëk jül bud Sarvesh = Likot be 3-skilled more than Sarvesh = Likot is three times more skilled than Sarvesh. Now, certain words begin with numbers as an integral part of their derivation, e.g., "one-eye-person" / cyclops. If you ever describe multiples of such words, always list that number as a standalone word, not as a prefix. Me míporwáf = two cyclopes, but memíporwáf can easily be misread as a person with twenty-one eyes.
   The word va can be used as a prefix when the total number is larger than 10, but far more frequently just means "plural" in general.
   There are also yu (meaning too much) and hu (not enough). Kezik gùch sêf huzül! = "I-of beer is under-full!" = My beer (mug) isn't as full as it should be!
   Less commonly used are so / all and su / half. Preceding nouns, they are quantitative modifiers: a broker might say to a caravan, Kez kôl tezik somànzhèl gis tezik sufòk = "I take you-of all-flour and you-of half-sugar" = I'll take all of your flour, and half of your sugar. (Dwarves will also occasionally use su to simply mean some, rather than exactly half.) They work in similar fashion when added to verbs: A warrior who's killed a great many types of creatures might have the nickname Momoz Sotêthef / Momoz All-Slayer. A dwarf blind in one eye might be described as supôris / half-seeing. As prefixes on an adjective, so and su are used to modify the strength of that adjective: a dwarf wincing in direct sunlight might describe it as "all-bright".
   The word ri, "yes", meaning assent or affirmation, is most frequently used as a standalone word, but when applied to a verb, it means to redo the action. This is for cases where some work either was inadequate, or has since been undone / destroyed / etc. Rigîtpûp = "Yes-settle" = to reclaim a settlement. As the prefix on an adjective, it simply means very. Ri is sometimes used on nouns, as a reflexive intensifier that means itself. Lorbam mûrith sut riwaveb = "Lorbam talk-past to yes-one-female" = Lorbam was talking to herself.
   The word ra, "none" means null, zero, negation. As the response to a Yes/No question, it means no opinion. When used as the prefix on a noun, it turns the noun into an adjective meaning a lack of that noun—a dórwáf rapüp is a homeless dwarf . As the prefix on a verb, it means to stop or prevent that particular action. And when leading an adjective, it means that the adjective does not apply. Ingish sêf rarülnüg = "Ingish be none-clever" = Ingish is of average intelligence.
   And the word ru, "not", means refusal or opposition. When acting as the prefix on a noun, it turns the noun into a verb, meaning to remove that noun (usually from another noun, such as rusôf sáp = "not-skin deer" = to flay the deer). As the prefix to a verb, it means to undo that verb, to reverse it to the way it was before. And when appended to an adjective or preposition, it signifies the exact opposite of that word: Ingish sêf rurülnüg = "Ingish be not-clever" = Ingish is stupid. Ken záb yêjith rujut ken húgbél = "The rabbit run-past not-around the bush" = The rabbit ran through the bush. Invoking the opposite of a word when such an opposite already exists (in this case, mes / through) is regarded as technically incorrect, but still happens occasionally—usually for the purposes of a rhyme.
   The prefix che is only used to indicate lycanthropy. A chegútcháv is a weretortoise.

PREFIX TABLE
Lone Word
NOUN
VERB
ADJECTIVE
MISC.
0-9 numbers specific # of items to do specific # of times specific # of times as X
va many / plural more than 10, or vague plural to do over and over
yu over (too) many to do a lot, or overdo (too) extreme to too great an extent
hu under (too) few to do only a little / not enough (too) weak to an insufficient extent
so all all, or all available all-doing or all-done to maximum intensity
su half half, half available, or some half-doing or half-done only half intensity
ri yes / approval "itself" to redo very
ra null / none lacking to halt or forbid X is not applicable
ru not / opposition to remove to undo opposite of opposite of
che lycanthropy sometimes takes this animal form
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dorwaf and how to speak it
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 03:43:03 am »

The Suffixes
   One of the most commonly used noun suffixes is ik. When used as a suffix between two nouns, it shows possession: The first noun becomes an adjective describing ownership of (or at least a strong association with) the second noun. When ik is used as a standalone word between two nouns, however, it functions much as the English of—it still indicates association or possession, but the precedence of the nouns is reversed: it is now the second noun that describes the first. For instance, kîl sav báf sut Bomrekik 3záth = "Give this fish to Bomrek-of 3cat", meaning the fish is for Bomrek's three cats. But kîl sav báf sut Bomrek ik 3záth = "Give this fish to Bomrek of 3cat", meaning the fish should go to Bomrek himself, and the cats are likely only mentioned to distinguish him from some other Bomrek.
   The adjectives for gender are eb / female, and ep / male. Use them as suffixes on a noun (which are all neuter) to add gender, so that mítikzás is any nonspecific sheep, mítikzáseb is a ewe, and mítikzásep is a ram. They can also be appended to verbs to express gender-specific behavior, if such exists: Tez hêfeb = "You dance-female" = You dance like a woman.
   The auxiliary verb chît / can is also a suffix, usually applied to verbs but occasionally nouns & adjectives as well. It turns a verb into an adjective meaning it can be done. It is very like the English suffix "-able": The verb zhîp / eat becomes the adjective zhïpchit / edible, etc. On a noun, it means it can be made: A Woodcutter who's not sure if a log is big enough to be made into a door might ask a Carpenter, "Sêf sav tüpbünchit?" / "Is this door-able?" Likewise, the adjective pök / beauty becomes pökchit : something that can be made beautiful.
   Ith means the past. Appending it to a verb moves it from the present into the past tense. Likot jêfith ken nìtikdìk = "Likot make-past the bin" = Likot made a bin. It also changes bìs / day into bìsith / yesterday, and bìv / year into bìvith / last year. It can also be added to nouns: A jézhkurzímith is a former mayor.
   Likewise, iv represents the future, and as a suffix it sets a verb in the future tense. Likot jêfiv ken nìtikdìk = Likot will make a bin, bìsiv = tomorrow, bìviv = next year. Numerical prefixes are often added to words like bìvith and bìsiv, to say things such as three years ago or in five days. More vague approximations of time can also be stated, like vahìsith = "many-now-past" = a while ago, and huhìsiv = "under-now-future" = in a minute. A raw recruit in basic training is a féthkídiv, a future soldier.
   The present-tense suffix, is, signifies that an action is currently being performed: It is the difference between a Miner saying "Kez mâklôd" = "I dig (for a living)" and "Kez mâklôdis" = "I am digging (at this very moment)". Even when the suffix would be aptly placed on a verb, it is frequently left off, as current action is usually implied. So by far, its most frequent uses are to either turn a verb into an adjective: ken vahám hüfsojbümis = the nesting turkeys, or to specify the current time period, such as bìzhis / this month.
   Appending the suffix ef to a verb changes it into a noun, with the meaning "person who does this action". Gákfófef = "grind-doer" = a Miller.
   The most common adjective suffixes are the comparatives os and osh, meaning more and most, respectively. Asen sêf vëzos bud Vucar zeb Oddom sêf vëzosh = Asen is stronger than Vucar, but Oddom is the strongest. They are also applied to the quantity adjectives jül / more than half and chül / less than half, creating jülos / a greater amount and chülosh / least, etc.

SUFFIX TABLE
Lone Word

NOUN

VERB

ADJECTIVE
ik of / associated with noun A owns noun B
ep male a male in a masculine manner
eb female a female in a masculine manner
chit can (chît) X can be made X can be done can be made X
ith the past past tense in the past
iv the future future tense in the future
is the present current action / adjective / time
-ef person who does X
-os more X
-osh most X

Prefixes and suffixes may be stacked as appropriate, with those most relevant to the core word placed closest to it. Let's consider the 3-suffix word sïfgïtefikith, "weave-doer-of-past". The core word is sîfgît, to weave. Add the first suffix, ef, and you get sîfgîtef, a person who weaves. The next suffix, ik, changes the word to mean belonging to a person who weaves. The final suffix, ith, sets the word in the past tense, so the full meaning of sïfgïtefikith is to indicate that something used to (belong to (a person who (weaves))). Rearrange the suffixes and you get different meanings, such as sïfgïtithefik = belonging to (a person who (used to (weave))), or the nonsensical sífgítithikef = a person who (owns (what (the act of weaving) used to be)). But you must be very careful when putting prefixes on a word that already has suffixes, or vice versa. Suppose the opposition prefix, ru, was added to the word sïfgïtefikith: You'd have no idea which of the three suffixes, or the core word itself, or even the whole stack altogether, was meant to be contradicted. In general, if it's likely to cause a misunderstanding, dwarves don't do it (except in comedy plays, where confusion is likely part of the plot).

Don't be worried about not being able to find the core word buried in a pile of prefixes & suffixes. Not only does this hardly ever happen in practice, but it's easy to dissect: Vowels in root words have diacritical marks, while vowels in prefixes & suffixes do not.
Consider the sentence:       Vasuv muchelákzofzákeb sêfith hüdjönosh.
In each word, find the first & last vowels with diacritical
marks. They indicate the boundaries of the core word.
Va|suv muche|lákzofzák|eb sêf|ith hüdjön|osh.
If applicable, continue moving outward. Each new vowel
signals a new prefix or suffix.
Va|suv mu|che|lákzofzák|eb sêf|ith hüdjön|osh.
Literally translate each core word, prefix, & suffix.many-that five-were-chinchilla-female be-past annoying-most.
Smooth the sentence into fully translated English:Those five female werechinchillas were the most annoying.

The Passive and Subjunctive Voices
   The prefix & suffix sections had two important omissions: The prefix ga denotes use of the passive voice, and the suffix ub indicates the subjunctive voice. Both are used only on verbs. The passive voice shows that the verb is being done to the object of the sentence, rather than something that the object itself does.
Tez sêf müt. Wûzhmûtith ken vawùzhnùt hem tez? = "You be wet. Rain-past the clouds on you?" = You are wet. Did the clouds rain on you?
Tez sêf müt. Gawûzhmûtith hem tez? = "You be wet. Get-rain-past on you?" = You are wet. Did you get rained on?
This can be helpful in situations where it is inconvenient to directly reference the active subject (in this case, clouds), or important to specify that the object took a relatively inactive (or even unwilling) role in the action. The passive voice also has its own preposition, gas / by, which signifies the active subject of the sentence:
Ken jèzhnùm fëthkidvuzhzïm gadîkis gas Mebzuth Ezumvesh, ken wáfep rajïschit. = "The title baronial get-hold-ing by Mebzuth Hamedust, the person-male null-like-able." = The baronial title is currently held by Mebzuth Hamedust, an unlikable fellow.

The subjunctive voice is the understanding that things might be other than as they are. "Could have, should have, would have" is the classic utterance of subjunctive hindsight. The English language has very few verbs that indicate the subjunctive: could is the subjunctive form of can, we get would from will, and should is (arguably) derived from shall. In Dorwaf, however, just about every verb can be discussed in terms of circumstance by adding the suffix ub. In (most of) the examples below, each sentence is divided into two clauses. One is introduced with an "if", specifying a set of circumstances, and the other has a ub verb. Either one is enough to indicate the use of the subjunctive for that clause.
Rachît tez wûpzhêm wùpzhèm gëkoshjefjëk? = "Null-can you bake bread masterwork?" = Can't you bake masterwork bread?
Kub kez kît vahúf kez chîtub wûpzhêm wùpzhèm gëkoshjefjëk. = "If I have many-egg I can-ub bake bread masterwork." = If I had eggs, I could bake masterwork bread.
   (Note that chîtub / could is not the same as chîp / could. Chîtub indicates a change in circumstances, chîp is an expression of probability.)
Sigun thîk mâfchûk yùpwupbèl kom ken lìktìk. = "Sigun need fetch charcoal for the forge." = Sigun needs to fetch charcoal for the forge.
Waveb thîkub mâfchûk yùpwupbèl kub waveb rakît suv nìtikdìk zül. = "She need-ub fetch charcoal if she null-have that bin full." = She would need to fetch charcoal, if she didn't have that full bin.
Kub Geshud chûksêjiv tïp Melbilik lórdór, savep dîtzôdivub savebik hór. = "If Geshud pull-future again Melbil-of beard, it-mas punch-future-ub it-fem-of nose." = If Geshud pulls Melbil's beard again, he would punch her nose.
Kub kez nûgtûgith bek ken chúlvuzhzímeb rawîkiv kîmlikkâk vawòrfèv, kez rakîdithub nìtikdìk suv ken kìmsejchùn. = "If I know-past that the count-fem null-may-future sell many-earring, I null-carry-past-ub that bin to the tradedepot." = If I had known that the countess was going to forbid the sale of earrings, I would not have carried that bin to the Trade Depot.
   In each case, the suffix ub effects either a change to the subjunctive form of a verb (can becomes could, will punch turns into would punch), or the insertion of a flag word that does the same job (need becomes would need, did not carry turns into would not have carried). Also, notice that dwarves in the charcoal examples only said "need fetch", not "need to fetch". Similarly, there is no "to" after the verbs want and try, unlike in English. The sentence structure of "I want go out" or "I choose go out" is exactly the same as "I may go out". This also holds true when involving another person: It's "I encourage you clean your room," "I persuade you clean your room," "I force you clean your room." Dwarves do have the "to" conjunction, just not bound to any particular verbs.

Yes, it's possible to use both the passive & subjunctive voices at the same time.
Ken ságeb rêj sùn wus! Saveb rachît gasêj! = "The bear-female block the path out! It-female none-can get-move!" = The bear is blocking the way out! She cannot be moved!
Saveb chîtub gasêj kub vakez kîlmûriv zhìp. = "It-female can-ub get-move if we offer-future food." = She could be moved, if we offered her food.

The Rest
   There are a handful of remaining words & usages worthy of note.
   The word / suffix ik is not the only way to show possession, it's just the most commonly used. There are also the verbs kîk / own and kît / have: "Kez kîk sav lìkleshfèzh" / "I own this knife" specifies absolute possession, whereas "Sav sêf kezik lìkleshfèzh" / "This is my knife" is more open-ended and less formal. Kît / have is used to express association, rather than outright ownership: kez kît 2kísep = I have two brothers. The verb can also be substituted for take or use, if it's something to be carried on your person and thus continue to be associated with you.
   Ken is the general-purpose dwarven article, meaning both the and a, and sometimes one or some, as the user desires. It may even be omitted entirely, in informal speech.
   The word heth / into is a conjunction that denotes transition, used when an object becomes a different object. Examples:
Kez shîfith zàsdòr heth shìf. / I spun the wool into thread.      Ken píjyáf râniv heth ken yáf pïzh. / The larva will metamorphose into an adult insect.
   Dwarves use the words yûd / increase and hûd / diminish to also mean the arithmetic add and subtract. Na yûd mu jêz mima = "eight increase five equals onethree" = eight plus five equals thirteen. Jûd / multiply and chûd / divide have no such secondary definitions. Dwarves have their own numerical glyphs for the digits 0 through 9, and use them interchangeably with the spelled-out number names when writing text. Ordinal numbers (first, second, third, etc.) are achieved simply by putting the diaeresis over the vowel(s) in a number, turning it into an adjective. Nime = sixty-two, but nïmë = sixty-second. To avoid the confusion of blending into the root word, ordinal numbers are always written as standalone words, never as prefixes. This is the only case where such words commonly used as prefixes (or suffixes) are given diacritical marks.
   The season names are based on Northern-Hemisphere weather: summer translates to "hot-season", autumn is "leaf-season", etc. While this does not suit equatorial or southern embarks / civilizations, Dorwaf is ONE language for the entire race, and therefore cannot be based on location. If I have to pick a setup, it might as well be the one that makes the most sense to the majority of players.
   As a standalone word, sët / other is also commonly used to precede the words for person, place, thing, and next year, turning each one into a phrase meaning, respectively, someone else, elsewhere, something else, and someday. Sët is also combined with zuk / how to create sëtzuk, a conjunction useful for discussing possibilities, usually in the subjunctive voice. Sëtzuk can be used to mean although, otherwise, and unless—in short, it serves to introduce a clause detailing (a set of circumstances likely to result in) an outcome quite different from the one previously mentioned.

Dwarves dislike synonyms: words that mean (close to) the same thing, in English, frequently have different (although related) dwarven definitions:
   Mökwüm / sacred is applied to mundane things that have been given a religious significance by mortal hands: They have been raised up from below. Mökbüm / holy, in contrast, refers to things that have been blessed or bestowed by a god: Their status comes down from above. For this reason, mòkbumbòd / blasphemy is generally considered a more serious offense than mòkwumbòd / sacrilege. A similar pattern can be seen in the derivations of their opposing words: unholy is "demon-up", and defile is "demon-down". (Dwarves associating all gods with the 'up' direction is probably more metaphysical than physical.)
   Dwarves have the words sun, moon, and rainbow classed as 'living' nouns, with the 'non-living' counterparts of day, night, and opal, respectively. This is not to say that dwarves consider the sun, moon, and rainbows to actually be alive, but rather they believe that they might be (they can't exactly go and check). Since they do move, and they are associated with gods, it's better to be safe than sorry.
   The word lôd / hit describes the functionary use of tools, not any kind of assault.
   Gëk / good and gök / bad refer to one's tendency for orderly behavior, proper diligence, and quality in one's work. They are frequently combined with the comparative suffixes os and osh to produce such words as gëkos / better and gökosh / worst. This is distinct from mëk / good and göng / evil, which are the desires to promote the freedom & happiness, or alternatively the suffering and death, of others. Related are lëk / right and löng / wrong, for if an action is in accordance with, or in opposition to, a civilization's morals.
   The word kìm / trade means a single exchange at the individual level, while the broader word kìmsèj / economy is for larger mercantile considerations & the continuous flow of goods.
   Màl / sand, màm / silt, màr / loam, and màn / clay are specific types (and constituents) of soil, while màk / earth is a more general word for all kinds of soil and rocks. Màng / dirt is much the same as earth, but with negative connotations.
   Jùn / land does not mean "the opposite of water", it means "large geographical area", while a chùn / place is a relatively small area. The word héljún / forest translates to "tree-land", while a "tree-place" is merely a hélchún / grove. "Water-land" is a lake, "water-place" is a pond or pool, etc.

The Future
   Dorwaf is not a finished language—not even close. I still have thousands of words to incorporate into the vocabulary; all of Dwarf Fortress's plants, tools, gemstones, workshops, weapons, furniture, articles of clothing & armor, etc., as well as any other words that might seem fitting for dwarves to use. Also, let me be the FIRST to complain that many of the words in Dorwaf are noticeably longer than is convenient, and some are damned difficult to pronounce. Sure, part of that difficulty is intentional,
"A fair jaw-cracker dwarf-language must be!" -- Samwise Gamgee
but Dorwaf takes that tendency even farther than I'd planned. In addition, I want to give Dorwaf its own "alphabetical order" that arranges the consonants by how they are pronounced, and Toady One might give me clearance to use both kinds of Th. So, rest assured that whatever happens, the root tables (and with them, the spellings of pretty much all the words) WILL change considerably. But that change won't happen overnight: Setting up the root tables by hand took me longer than I'd like to admit, and having to go through all that again with every single major update to the language is not a prospect that appeals to me. So I plan to dust off my old Computer-Science-major hat, learn a new language, and write a program that arranges the root tables for me. Future versions of Dorwaf will have a hard cap of 3 syllables per core word (like this version has 4), although I may make exceptions for highly specific or fancy words. I will also make a strict point of avoiding certain difficult-to-pronounce consonant combinations (where two syllables butt together), shown here: https://i.imgur.com/WdR9Fj3.jpg

With fewer words like zhíptishtethháf, Dorwaf will . . . well, it won't roll trippingly off the tongue, but at least it'll give a satisfying metallic clank as it rattles along. Besides, it's not like you're actually going to be pronouncing these words.

There's room for plenty of other improvements as well: for instance, I already know I'll be revamping the color system. I wanted to have all the colors be named after gemstones (implying that the dwarves developed words for the stones first), but that turned out not to be a workable idea. I could also easily be convinced that using just one word to mean both "a" and "the" was not the right call, and replacing it with a broader range of articles would be better. If you have other ideas—especially words that should be added!—go ahead & post 'em.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 03:43:24 am »

The Vocabulary

Well, crap. The dictionary is well over twice too big to fit in a single forum post, so as words inevitably get added to it, it will become less & less feasible to post the vocabulary directly to the forum. Can anyone recommend a decent file-hosting site, where we can all view it?

But I hate to disappoint anyone, so here's just a little taste:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 03:43:49 am »

The Examples
Ken mítikzás têth. = "The sheep kill" = (go) Kill a sheep.

Ken mítikzásep söng zhëzosh têth rusôf gis vôzchûd. = "The sheep-male intact weak-most kill not-skin and butcher." = Kill, skin, and butcher the weakest ungelded ram.

Kez tîthith ken yèzh bìsith gis chît tîviv sav bìsiv. = "I begin-past the work day-past and can end-future it day-future." = I began the work yesterday, and can finish it tomorrow.

Ken mòng sêf bus ken mùtdìk giz ken zòzpeggakfòf. Ken lùchdìk suk ken vùzhzimkakpùp kît ken lùch mütgëk. = The poison is in the vessel with the pestle. The goblet from the palace has the pure wine.

Wìz. Kezik kùr sêf Inigo Montoya. Tez têthith kezik kíshep. Sut pîv nûgsôr. = "Greeting. I-of name is Inigo Montoya. You kill-past I-of parent-male. To die prepare." = Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Hem Grabthharik lèzlòd . . . hem ken vabís ik Worvan . . . tez zîk gasêf pürtëth. = "On Grabthar-of hammer . . . on the many-sun of Worvan . . . you shall get-be avenged." = On Grabthar's hammer . . . on the suns of Worvan . . . you shall be avenged.

Kogan mash sêf gëkosh bus píf? = "Kogan what is best in life?" = Kogan, what is best in life?

Sut zhûdwâf wavik vashéth, sut pôr vasuv gayêjtêth, gis sut wôr ken pìvdongmutpòr ik vasavik vawáfub. = "To shatter one-of many-enemy, to see they get-rout, and to hear the lamentation of they-of those-female." = To shatter one's enemies, to see them get routed, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Nanebìvith vakezik vakíshíth jêfith bus sav jùn ken pùpjùn tïj. Sav sêfith kîshîthith bus zìttìv gis kûrmashzêfith sut ken màfnùg bek sodórwáf sêf mâfnugjêfith jëz.
   Vakez sêf hìs mïtzëf bus ken zìmjokzhudyèth jüg, yêsis kub vakezik pùpjùn, jin söp pùpjùn zuk kîshîthith gis zuk kûrmashzêfith, chîb kîf yüg. Vakez gîtchuksûn hem ken pèlyudsùd söfethkidyëth jüg ik suv zìmjokzhudyèth. Vakez kûrmashzêf chuk ken chùd ik sav pèlyudsùd, kom sêf ken pìvmàk chùn kom vasuv wash kîlith vasuvik vapíf kom ken pùpjùn chîb pîf. Sav sêf sözh lëk gis zëflëk bek vakez zêf sav.
   Zeb bus ken jüdos nùl, vakez rachît kûrmashzêf -- vakez rachît môkwûm -- vakez rachît môkbûm -- sav màk. Ken vadórwáf thösh wash yêth chuk, pïf gis pïv, môkwûmith yuyüzhün vakezik vùzh wüd sut yûd jin hûd. Ken sòjùn huwôriv gis tûgshîgiv vëj, mash vakez mûr chuk, zeb suv chît tûgshîg rubìf mash vasuv zêfith chuk. Vakez ken pïf yît kûrmashzêf chuk rivakezik sut ken yêzh kînzêfis bek vasuv wash yêth chuk kît sôryêzhith vüzhzïm kïnzëf. Vakez ken pïf yît kûrmashzêf chuk rivakezik sut ken yêzh yüdthït mâfkînis sör vakez -- bek suk vasav pïv jëzh vakez kôl mòkkurmashzèf yüd kom kòth kop vakez kîlith somòkkurmashzèf -- bek vakez chuk zîmjôk bek vasav pïv zîk ru pîvith rugiz kòth -- bek sav pùpjùn bem ken vamók zîk kît ken pìth tïj ik zìttìv -- bek zìmnugjitmìt ik ken vawáf, gas ken vawáf, kom ken vawáf, zîk rabîthsetchuksûn suk ken màk.

"Eight-seven-year-past we-of many-ancestor make-past in this land the nation new. It be-past conceive-past in freedom and dedicate-past to the idea that all-dwarf be create-past equal.
   We be now involved in a revolution huge, test-present if we-of nation, or any nation how conceive-past and how dedicate-past, might endure long. We meet on the field battle huge of that revolution. We dedicate here the fraction of this field, for be the grave place for those who give-past here they-of lives for the nation might live. It be whole right and just that we do this.
   But in the big-more meaning, we null-can dedicate -- we null-can consecrate -- we null-can hallow -- this earth. The many-dwarf brave who fight-past here, alive and dead, consecrate-past it over-beyond we-of power mere to increase or diminish. The world under-hear-future, and forget-future fast, what we talk here, but it can forget not-time what those do-past here. We the alive should dedicate here yes-we-of to the work continue-present that those who fight-past here have progress-past noble so far. We the alive should dedicate here yes-we-of to the work great remain-present forward we -- that from these dead honored we take devotion increase for reason why they give-past all-devotion -- that we here swear that these dead shall no die-past not-with reason -- that this nation below the gods shall have the birth new of freedom -- that government of the many-person, by the many-person, for the many-person, shall null-vanish from the earth."

Eighty-seven years ago, our ancestors made in this land a new nation. It was conceived in freedom, and dedicated to the idea that all dwarves are created equal.
   We are now involved in a great revolution, testing if our nation, or any nation thus conceived and thus dedicated, can long endure. We meet on a great battle-field of that revolution. We come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a burial site for those who gave their lives that the nation could live. It is wholly right and just that we do this.
   But in a greater meaning, we cannot dedicate -- we cannot consecrate -- we cannot hallow -- this ground. The brave dwarves who fought here, alive and dead, have consecrated it far beyond our meager power to add or subtract. The world will hear little, and quickly forget, what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. We the living should here dedicate ourselves to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. We the living should here dedicate ourselves to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to the cause for which they gave all their devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under the gods, shall have a new birth of freedom -- that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not vanish from the earth.

The Feedback
   And now it's YOUR turn. Find flaws in Dorwaf. Find things that dwarves should be able to say, but can't yet. Go through your old foreign-language textbooks and give me the English versions of common phrases. Give me sentences in Dorwaf, and I'll work them back into English. Let's find out what this language can—and can't—do.

Also, I need your opinions. Should Dorwaf use single letters for all the digraphs? What about only SOME of the digraphs? Here's what I'm thinking of using:
Th (unvoiced) replaced with Þ þ, "thorn"
Th (voiced) replaced with Đ ð, "eth"
Ng replaced with Ŋ ŋ, "eng". These are all their actual symbols & names.
Ch also has a correct name and symbol, but as both are unholy train wrecks, I'd like to use Ç ç and call it "cedilla".
The pronunciation is wrong, but at least it'll serve as a workable improvement until someone comes up with a better alternative.
Sh is called "esh" and uses the symbol of a calculus integral. So I'm going with Ş ş instead.
Zh is known as "ezh" and its symbol is Ʒ. No grounds for confusion there. Anyone got a problem with using Ƶ ƶ?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 08:27:20 pm »

This is something else man, great work.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Jacubus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 05:22:03 pm »

This is great

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 07:56:39 pm »

Well . . . okay. I've got to say, I'm decidedly underwhelmed by the response. Let me make it clear that I do NOT expect players to actually learn Dorwaf, in any way, for any reason. I took the full grammatical route mainly because this is my first attempt at making a language--and I wanted to be thorough--but also because I wanted to convey the message that Dorwaf actually can be learned. This is not just a collection of words, this is an actual language, and an extremely simple one at that.

I have now learned, to my chagrin, that the clear majority of users on this forum don't particularly want a language, or at least they are so stunned by the sheer tl;dr-ishness of it that hardly anyone is able to muster any kind of a response at all. Perhaps you would be more receptive to just the vocabulary?

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 07:58:27 pm »

Copy-paste it into a spreadsheet & alphabetize to get the Dorwaf-sorted list.

Spoiler:  G through P (click to show/hide)

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 08:01:53 pm »

Spoiler:  Q through Z (click to show/hide)

It's difficult to improve projects without feedback. So thanks to both of you who took the time to share an opinion.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 08:14:24 pm »

This is amazing, and it's clear that you put quite a lot of work into this, but the question is: how can this be integrated into the game? I only read the first passage or so and a couple others in your other posts, so you might have answered this already, but IIRC, the game only allows you to change the vocabulary using the game files, but not the grammar. Nearly everything other than the names of sites and other titles are in plain English anyway. Perhaps it would be possible to write a plugin so that NPCs speak in their own languages, so this system could be used?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 08:53:45 pm »

This is amazing, and it's clear that you put quite a lot of work into this, but the question is: how can this be integrated into the game? I only read the first passage or so and a couple others in your other posts, so you might have answered this already, but IIRC, the game only allows you to change the vocabulary using the game files, but not the grammar. Nearly everything other than the names of sites and other titles are in plain English anyway. Perhaps it would be possible to write a plugin so that NPCs speak in their own languages, so this system could be used?
This is a suggestion thread, for Toady, isn't it? Unlike a mod, this can be implemented into the game however he likes with any additional systems added as necessary.

That said, I guess further language development will be more geared towards procedural generation of language forms rather than one exact system. If that's possible. Still there's s lot of work here that I'm sure would be useful.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 08:57:53 pm »

PTW. This is amazing.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 09:05:29 pm »

. . . the question is: how can this be integrated into the game?
Well, once the vocabulary reaches a near-complete overlap of the original language_DWARF, then it could simply replace the old one entirely. But that's if the game keeps handling language the exact same way, which doesn't seem likely. With the beginnings of actual books and libraries now in place, and the currently-unused skills of Reader, Writer, Poet, and Wordsmith somewhere over the horizon, that's a strong hint that Toady intends dwarves (or some of them, at least) to eventually get a lot more literate. For example, instead of opening a book and reading a description of the text, you could theoretically get a procedurally-generated sample of it as well. So, in brief: Dorwaf doesn't really do much for Dwarf Fortress, the way it stands now. But I think it should make a MUCH better jumping-off point for aspects of what Toady and Threetoe want the game to become.

Perhaps it would be possible to write a plugin so that NPCs speak in their own languages, so this system could be used?
I believe so, and ideally, it would check your Adventurer's Linguistic Ability to see how much of what people say is already translated for you. Of course, it wouldn't make sense for only dwarves to be speaking a "foreign" language (especially if you're playing as a dwarf), so the other races would need their own languages too (or at least unique vocabularies), but it's a very immersive idea.

That said, I guess further language development will be more geared towards procedural generation of language forms rather than one exact system. If that's possible. Still there's s lot of work here that I'm sure would be useful.
Staying on the "Adventurers can encounter language difficulties" train of thought does indeed take you to the "Every civilization should have their own language, procedurally-generated during worldgen" stop, and on the whole I agree with this idea, not least because it's highly realistic. Yeah, there would effectively no longer be a "true" dwarven language, but to paraphrase Toady, we're not looking to create a cheap fantasy language: we're looking to create a cheap fantasy language generator. And as it happens, by spelling out the steps I took in creating Dorwaf, I seem to have given them a basic How-To guide towards accomplishing that. :)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2018, 01:00:43 am »

This is a suggestion thread, for Toady, isn't it? Unlike a mod, this can be implemented into the game however he likes with any additional systems added as necessary.

I might have forgotten to check which forum this thread was in...

...sorry about that.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 01:02:22 am by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 02:51:05 am »

These are still great, but the reason there hasn’t been a great deal of feedback is that the suggestions subforum is one of the less commonly visits forums. Perhaps putting a link in your signature and talking about it in more commonly perused areas would help get more feedback
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: [1] 2 3 4