Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dorwaf and how to speak it  (Read 12622 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Dorwaf and how to speak it
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2018, 08:46:31 am »

These are still great, but the reason there hasn’t been a great deal of feedback is that the suggestions subforum is one of the less commonly visits forums. Perhaps putting a link in your signature and talking about it in more commonly perused areas would help get more feedback
I'm pretty sure it's mostly the TL;DR and amount of technical stuff.

I basically skimmed most of it and decided to wait for the more language-oriented folks to comment on the implications. I do get the gist of it, but the size is too intimidating to actually read the whole thing.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2018, 12:50:05 pm »

I agree with Bumber, TL;DR, so it's hard to understand what you are suggesting here.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2018, 07:58:12 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's mostly the TL;DR and amount of technical stuff.
Yeah, I admit it is very much like a textbook . . . which is not what most forum users are expecting to see when opening a thread. Looking back, I guess I wrote it that way more for my own benefit than for yours, which was a mistake on my part.

I basically skimmed most of it and decided to wait for the more language-oriented folks to comment on the implications.
I do have a couple of friends with the academic qualifications to carry some weight in these matters, but if I were to ask them to weigh in, the most they could do is give their opinions of Dorwaf's realism / functionality / etc., which, while highly relevant to me, is not likely to interest most other users.

I agree with Bumber, TL;DR, so it's hard to understand what you are suggesting here.
From the dev logs:
LANGUAGE ARC: The in-game languages need a better framework, as many simple name formulations are impossible in the current system, and it wouldn't hurt to add a basic grammar and phonetics at this time as well. In addition, paper, engraved writing, books, poems, songs, etc. could all be explored in the different game modes in various ways. Related to Core97, Core98, Core99 and Core100.
I realize of course that the game can quite easily represent books, stories, plays, songs, prayers, etc., without actually requiring any kind of underlying language structure. But I believe that adding an actual language to the game would have much the same kind of effect as adding internal organs. Yes, even libraries work just fine, without language. DF combat would also work just fine if every creature only had hitpoints, instead of organs. But actually having the organs makes the combat more real, more (literally) visceral. If you want to ignore the organs, that's fine, but they're there if you want to examine the detailed combat log. If you want to ignore the words, that's fine, but they're there if you want to examine a hymnbook and actually read what the worshipers are chanting during temple services. FLAVOR.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Miles_Umbrae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2018, 09:32:23 am »

From the dev logs:
LANGUAGE ARC: The in-game languages need a better framework, as many simple name formulations are impossible in the current system, and it wouldn't hurt to add a basic grammar and phonetics at this time as well. In addition, paper, engraved writing, books, poems, songs, etc. could all be explored in the different game modes in various ways. Related to Core97, Core98, Core99 and Core100.
I realize of course that the game can quite easily represent books, stories, plays, songs, prayers, etc., without actually requiring any kind of underlying language structure. But I believe that adding an actual language to the game would have much the same kind of effect as adding internal organs. Yes, even libraries work just fine, without language. DF combat would also work just fine if every creature only had hitpoints, instead of organs. But actually having the organs makes the combat more real, more (literally) visceral. If you want to ignore the organs, that's fine, but they're there if you want to examine the detailed combat log. If you want to ignore the words, that's fine, but they're there if you want to examine a hymnbook and actually read what the worshipers are chanting during temple services. FLAVOR.

So I guess your TL;DR answer is: "This is my suggestion of how a fleshed out Dwarven language could look like."

I've only skimmed through some of your points, but on the point about color-words instead of having words be the same as the names it could be a combination of the name of the gem and the Dorwaf equivalent of for example hue or tint, like for example the Dorwaf-translation of RubyHue or EmeraldTint (captions are for clarity of my examples).

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2018, 04:10:22 pm »

So I guess your TL;DR answer is: "This is my suggestion of how a fleshed out Dwarven language could look like."
Yes, precisely. With the caveat that Dorwaf still needs a lot of tinkering, but at least the groundwork is there.

. . . on the point about color-words instead of having words be the same as the names it could be a combination of the name of the gem and the Dorwaf equivalent of for example hue or tint, like for example the Dorwaf-translation of RubyHue or EmeraldTint (captions are for clarity of my examples).
Tricky. I don't want to directly name the colors after the gems, because frequently the same type of gemstone (and even the same individual stone) can be two or more markedly different colors. I want to describe the gems strictly in terms of their mineral properties and composition (the way I did with the other stone types), and give colors their own separate system, where each shade is described in terms of its base color, so that taupe, mahogany, chocolate, ecru, etc., are all 2- or 3-syllable words in which the last syllable is "brown".

Also, if this project does turn into a system of designing procedurally-generated languages, a lot of these colors might not be part of a Dwarven language at all, especially not the ones named after flowers. Your average Mason couldn't care less if there's a word for the color of heliotrope--and meanwhile, your average Elf is never going to need a word for orthoclase, so I feel certain words should be race-specific . . . although those who make friendly contact with other races might absorb foreign words through exposure.

ido66667

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2018, 05:00:46 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hello, sorry to bump this topic, but I am a big language fan, and the lack of Dwarvish morphology irked me too.
Anyway, I have seen that you sort of went the semitic way of non-consecutive morphology (vowel alteration), like Tolkien did with Khudzul in LOTR, and I personally speak Hebrew, and have some understanding of Aramaic and knowledge in Arabic grammar. So, I have a couple of ideas for the Dwarvish language, and wouldn't mind researching more to develop it. Are you open to collaboration, if the project is even alive?

I think stuff like a simplified two tense/aspect distinction that you see in Afro-Asiatic and Semitic lamguage in addition with the already simple 3 case system (Nominative, Accusative and Genitive) along with the construct case can work very well in game. The hardest part with semitic languages is the large number of root categories, but it's possible to do away with it by defining a single conjugation system. For in game usage the whole verbal morphology doesn't need to be implemented. Names mostly contain adjectives, participles, genitive constructions, and articles.

Another thing that might have bearing is the Scottish quality that we associate with DF dorfs. So, perhaps a Scottish gaelic quality can be added? For example, the voiced consonants can be shifted to unvoiced consonants, while the unvoiced shifted to aspirated. Like in Scottish gaelic and Pinyin, this doesn't mean that there needs to be any change to the spelling. Just that the letter <g> is pronounced /k/, while <k> is /kh/.

The vowel system might be also reduced, unless tone is introduced, otherwise we end up with what seems like a whooping 25 monophthong system, unless some of the vowels are actually diphthongs (Islandic uses the umlaut to indicate diphthongs of the kind /Xu:/. So a umlaut is /au:/ and so on).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 05:31:12 am by ido66667 »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2018, 08:57:05 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hello, sorry to bump this topic, but I am a big language fan, and the lack of Dwarvish morphology irked me too.
Anyway, I have seen that you sort of went the semitic way of non-consecutive morphology (vowel alteration), like Tolkien did with Khudzul in LOTR, and I personally speak Hebrew, and have some understanding of Aramaic and knowledge in Arabic grammar. So, I have a couple of ideas for the Dwarvish language, and wouldn't mind researching more to develop it. Are you open to collaboration, if the project is even alive?

I think stuff like a simplified two tense/aspect distinction that you see in Afro-Asiatic and Semitic lamguage in addition with the already simple 3 case system (Nominative, Accusative and Genitive) along with the construct case can work very well in game. The hardest part with semitic languages is the large number of root categories, but it's possible to do away with it by defining a single conjugation system. For in game usage the whole verbal morphology doesn't need to be implemented. Names mostly contain adjectives, participles, genitive constructions, and articles.

Another thing that might have bearing is the Scottish quality that we associate with DF dorfs. So, perhaps a Scottish gaelic quality can be added? For example, the voiced consonants can be shifted to unvoiced consonants, while the unvoiced shifted to aspirated. Like in Scottish gaelic and Pinyin, this doesn't mean that there needs to be any change to the spelling. Just that the letter <g> is pronounced /k/, while <k> is /kh/.

The vowel system might be also reduced, unless tone is introduced, otherwise we end up with what seems like a whooping 25 monophthong system, unless some of the vowels are actually diphthongs (Islandic uses the umlaut to indicate diphthongs of the kind /Xu:/. So a umlaut is /au:/ and so on).

DF doesn't currently have sound, so a text-to-phonetics screen would be needed to convey these differences in pronunciation. Wouldn't be too far fetched for Dwarf Fortress though, and as phonetics are needed to have a natural language evolution having to have a specific phonetics-menu would be much preferred to no menu and no proper evolution of the languages.

compsognathus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2018, 04:21:09 pm »

It could be used in adventure mode to create more immersion, atmosphere, realism. Creates enormity in the world, distant worlds. With my human player I go to the land of the dwarves and they speak their language. If my human player has read the book he wrote sixofspades he will simply see the dwarf text with the translation, otherwise he will not get it and he will not understand anything unless you bring an interpreter.
It could be done that a human can not learn a foreign language in less than a year, reading at least one hour a day (at play) the book (new skill)
I think it's essential for a game like DF that is fantasy but realistic.

ido66667

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2018, 06:34:30 am »

It could be used in adventure mode to create more immersion, atmosphere, realism. Creates enormity in the world, distant worlds. With my human player I go to the land of the dwarves and they speak their language. If my human player has read the book he wrote sixofspades he will simply see the dwarf text with the translation, otherwise he will not get it and he will not understand anything unless you bring an interpreter.
It could be done that a human can not learn a foreign language in less than a year, reading at least one hour a day (at play) the book (new skill)

I don't really want to hijack this thread, but if the OP has abandoned the project, I will take over. Personally imagine the end goal to be tolkienesque, with Dwarvish being Semitic-like, Human perhaps being English or Middle English like and so on. Of course, if OP is interested, I would love to work with them.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 06:38:04 am by ido66667 »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2018, 09:33:19 am »

I don't really want to hijack this thread, but if the OP has abandoned the project, I will take over. Personally imagine the end goal to be tolkienesque, with Dwarvish being Semitic-like, Human perhaps being English or Middle English like and so on. Of course, if OP is interested, I would love to work with them.

If you're taking it over, or otherwise if the project is moving forward as a full conlang rather than a proof-of-concept, maybe put it in the General Discussion forum. I imagine the people on there would appreciate it more and bring more constructive criticism and attention. It also fits the idea behind that forum more than this one.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2018, 12:39:05 pm »

I have seen that you sort of went the semitic way of non-consecutive morphology (vowel alteration), like Tolkien did with Khudzul in LOTR . . .
Having some callbacks to Tolkien was intentional, but any echoing of the Semitic languages was not. As you're probably aware, Tolkien noticed/created several parallels between dwarves and Jews, to the point that the former starts to be little more than a racist caricature of the latter. I don't know about you, but I for one am soundly disinterested in perpetuating negative stereotypes, so I won't be making any deliberate steps toward making the dwarf language(s) seem Semitic in feel. (I also won't be making them Scottish, as I see no logic in that trope either.)

Granted, it's a nice enough idea: Give the elven, dwarven, human, and goblin languages a more palpably different feel by giving each one hallmarks from a different real-world language family--ideally ones that aren't related at all--so humans' speech could be based on the Germanic languages (As most DF players speak English, which is a Germanic tongue, it would make sense that human players should feel the most familiarity with what the in-game humans speak), while the speech of elves is more like Mandarin Chinese. But which language family should I use as the basis for goblin words and grammatical structure? Which group of millions of people do I wish to offend?

Happily, there are plenty of ways to make the various languages visually & phonetically distinct without patterning them after real-world languages, so that's the path(s) I'll be taking.

Are you open to collaboration, if the project is even alive?
I am open to collaboration, but you seem to have very different goals than I do: In addition to the Semitic connection, you mentioned cases and conjugations, and non-standard pronunciations, three things that I personally want to stay as far away from as possible. My intention was to make Dorwaf, and then the procedurally-generated languages based on Dorwaf, to be as extremely simple as an actual language could possibly be and still work for communication. (This has to be so simple that a computer can speak it, after all.) Heck, if you really absorbed the "How to speak Dorwaf" posts at the start of this thread, your fluency would be about equal to a 1st- or 2nd-year foreign language student. And yet if you printed those posts out, there's only enough text to cover about nine sheets of paper (double sided). Compare those 9 sheets of paper with your average Spanish 1 textbook. That's how simple Dorwaf is, and I'm hoping to carry that tradition forward.

Yes, the project is still alive, but my progress has been largely halted lately because a) Real Life has gone its usual route of sticking its big fat ass right in my way, and b) The way I have the language organized, everything depends upon the root tables: The list of one-syllable words that stand for the simplest concepts, the foundation of everything else. As the game gets updated, new and very fundamental elements get added, which means I have to overhaul the way that certain words are related to what other words (and how closely they're related, etc), which is a real pain, and very intimidating. I will get to it, but . . . slowly.

The vowel system might be also reduced, unless tone is introduced, otherwise we end up with what seems like a whooping 25 monophthong system, unless some of the vowels are actually diphthongs . . .
Yes, Dorwaf is tonal. The dwarven vowels are, hopefully, the only instance in which I will use nonstandard pronunciation--that is, I use the diacritical marks as an indicator of the pitch given to the entire word, not for the shape of the actual vowel itself. So the dwarves actually have only 5 vowels--though the other races will doubtless have more, and in those languages, the diacriticals will stand for actual different monophthongs: a as in grape, â as in hat, ä as in father, etc.

My rough intentions for the other languages:
Human languages will be noticeable for their preponderance of consonants: Whereas almost every dwarven syllable is C-V-C, humans will go as far as C-C-C-V-C-C. (Hence their ability to say "dwarf" as one syllable, whereas dwarves themselves have to use two, "dorwaf".)
Elves, meanwhile, play fast & loose with their vowels: They're the only race that uses diphthongs, and the ratio of vowels to consonants is nearly 1:1. Most all of their vowels, however, are of the I, E, and A families, largely eschewing O and U.
Lastly, goblins make frequent use of the Eng (ŋ) and the glottal stop, almost never use the I or E sounds (all of their vowels are U, O, and A), and have the smallest vocabulary--and thus hardly any need for polysyllabic words.

DF doesn't currently have sound, so a text-to-phonetics screen would be needed to convey these differences in pronunciation.
. . . phonetics are needed to have a natural language evolution . . .
The prospect of DF actually being able to "speak" these languages is a tantalizing one indeed, even if it's just the one genderless voice synthesizer, used regardless of who's doing the talking. But what do you mean by language evolution? If future versions of DF are going to hold to the current time model (where world-histories longer than 1000 years are all but unheard-of), I see little need to give even a token nod to evolution of any kind.

That's pretty much exactly what I intend. I will spell out which roots are related to which other roots, and which roots are joined to create which polysyllabic words--that won't change (at least until Toady changes it). But, how each root is actually spelled/pronounced, that will be procedurally generated and will vary from game to game, and most likely even from civ to civ in the same game. So, if you're a citizen of one dwarf culture and travel to a different dwarf culture, you'll still be speaking with the same grammatical structures, but the words themselves will be different. (Perhaps civs that are geographically close together will have more similarities than those on opposite sides of the map.)
Adventurers that have learned more than one language would probably have the option to choose which language to speak . . . perhaps even code-switching in the middle of a conversation, thus themselves taking on the role of interpreter.

. . . if the project is moving forward as a full conlang rather than a proof-of-concept, maybe put it in the General Discussion forum.
Hm, I feel it's appropriate here, as it is indeed a demonstration of what I intend to do myself if Toady doesn't beat me to it. But I do see your reasons for putting out in General Discussion . . . just as I understand ido66667's desire to take on the project--not least because I seem to be dragging my feet on it. Why don't *I* keep Dorwaf here, while ido66667 spearheads a more collaborative project in G.D.?

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2018, 03:40:44 pm »

Could we have languages whose rows might define different ways a feature might be in the game, such as the noun-adjective order, so that these rules might be generated ar start?

We could even have evolution during play.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

ido66667

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2018, 06:42:32 pm »

I have seen that you sort of went the semitic way of non-consecutive morphology (vowel alteration), like Tolkien did with Khudzul in LOTR . . .
Having some callbacks to Tolkien was intentional, but any echoing of the Semitic languages was not. As you're probably aware, Tolkien noticed/created several parallels between dwarves and Jews, to the point that the former starts to be little more than a racist caricature of the latter. I don't know about you, but I for one am soundly disinterested in perpetuating negative stereotypes, so I won't be making any deliberate steps toward making the dwarf language(s) seem Semitic in feel. (I also won't be making them Scottish, as I see no logic in that trope either.)

Granted, it's a nice enough idea: Give the elven, dwarven, human, and goblin languages a more palpably different feel by giving each one hallmarks from a different real-world language family--ideally ones that aren't related at all--so humans' speech could be based on the Germanic languages (As most DF players speak English, which is a Germanic tongue, it would make sense that human players should feel the most familiarity with what the in-game humans speak), while the speech of elves is more like Mandarin Chinese. But which language family should I use as the basis for goblin words and grammatical structure? Which group of millions of people do I wish to offend?

Happily, there are plenty of ways to make the various languages visually & phonetically distinct without patterning them after real-world languages, so that's the path(s) I'll be taking.

Are you open to collaboration, if the project is even alive?
I am open to collaboration, but you seem to have very different goals than I do: In addition to the Semitic connection, you mentioned cases and conjugations, and non-standard pronunciations, three things that I personally want to stay as far away from as possible. My intention was to make Dorwaf, and then the procedurally-generated languages based on Dorwaf, to be as extremely simple as an actual language could possibly be and still work for communication. (This has to be so simple that a computer can speak it, after all.) Heck, if you really absorbed the "How to speak Dorwaf" posts at the start of this thread, your fluency would be about equal to a 1st- or 2nd-year foreign language student. And yet if you printed those posts out, there's only enough text to cover about nine sheets of paper (double sided). Compare those 9 sheets of paper with your average Spanish 1 textbook. That's how simple Dorwaf is, and I'm hoping to carry that tradition forward.

Yes, the project is still alive, but my progress has been largely halted lately because a) Real Life has gone its usual route of sticking its big fat ass right in my way, and b) The way I have the language organized, everything depends upon the root tables: The list of one-syllable words that stand for the simplest concepts, the foundation of everything else. As the game gets updated, new and very fundamental elements get added, which means I have to overhaul the way that certain words are related to what other words (and how closely they're related, etc), which is a real pain, and very intimidating. I will get to it, but . . . slowly.

The vowel system might be also reduced, unless tone is introduced, otherwise we end up with what seems like a whooping 25 monophthong system, unless some of the vowels are actually diphthongs . . .
Yes, Dorwaf is tonal. The dwarven vowels are, hopefully, the only instance in which I will use nonstandard pronunciation--that is, I use the diacritical marks as an indicator of the pitch given to the entire word, not for the shape of the actual vowel itself. So the dwarves actually have only 5 vowels--though the other races will doubtless have more, and in those languages, the diacriticals will stand for actual different monophthongs: a as in grape, â as in hat, ä as in father, etc.

My rough intentions for the other languages:
Human languages will be noticeable for their preponderance of consonants: Whereas almost every dwarven syllable is C-V-C, humans will go as far as C-C-C-V-C-C. (Hence their ability to say "dwarf" as one syllable, whereas dwarves themselves have to use two, "dorwaf".)
Elves, meanwhile, play fast & loose with their vowels: They're the only race that uses diphthongs, and the ratio of vowels to consonants is nearly 1:1. Most all of their vowels, however, are of the I, E, and A families, largely eschewing O and U.
Lastly, goblins make frequent use of the Eng (ŋ) and the glottal stop, almost never use the I or E sounds (all of their vowels are U, O, and A), and have the smallest vocabulary--and thus hardly any need for polysyllabic words.

DF doesn't currently have sound, so a text-to-phonetics screen would be needed to convey these differences in pronunciation.
. . . phonetics are needed to have a natural language evolution . . .
The prospect of DF actually being able to "speak" these languages is a tantalizing one indeed, even if it's just the one genderless voice synthesizer, used regardless of who's doing the talking. But what do you mean by language evolution? If future versions of DF are going to hold to the current time model (where world-histories longer than 1000 years are all but unheard-of), I see little need to give even a token nod to evolution of any kind.

That's pretty much exactly what I intend. I will spell out which roots are related to which other roots, and which roots are joined to create which polysyllabic words--that won't change (at least until Toady changes it). But, how each root is actually spelled/pronounced, that will be procedurally generated and will vary from game to game, and most likely even from civ to civ in the same game. So, if you're a citizen of one dwarf culture and travel to a different dwarf culture, you'll still be speaking with the same grammatical structures, but the words themselves will be different. (Perhaps civs that are geographically close together will have more similarities than those on opposite sides of the map.)
Adventurers that have learned more than one language would probably have the option to choose which language to speak . . . perhaps even code-switching in the middle of a conversation, thus themselves taking on the role of interpreter.

. . . if the project is moving forward as a full conlang rather than a proof-of-concept, maybe put it in the General Discussion forum.
Hm, I feel it's appropriate here, as it is indeed a demonstration of what I intend to do myself if Toady doesn't beat me to it. But I do see your reasons for putting out in General Discussion . . . just as I understand ido66667's desire to take on the project--not least because I seem to be dragging my feet on it. Why don't *I* keep Dorwaf here, while ido66667 spearheads a more collaborative project in G.D.?

Connections between actual languages and fantastical conlangs need not have any real connotation to anything. I started toying around with a Semitic-Like Dwarven tongue and what came out is something that is more Arabic/Akkadian than Hebrew, with some inspiration taken from Berber. The Scottish/Semitic idea is more of a playful acknowledgment of our own (if at times memey) conception of the Dwarves, and giants like Tolkien. Personally, I see problem only with the Goblins, since it is indeed offensive to assign any language group to them, so perosnally, I think their tongue should be more fictional and mishmashed. But as a semitic speaker, I don't see any offense in ideas from my language group being used to create a Dwarvish conlang. And the same goes for whatever language group one chooses for the Elves and Humans.

In general, I think patterning (while still mixing and changing things up) conlangs on real language groups is generally beneficial. One of the problems with many Conglangs for me is that many of them don't feel real. They feel like they were constructed by a single person, and not through aeons of development. When you take a real language group, and try and take inspiration from that, you get something that feels more real. Still, care should be taken not to get too close to a specific language, as you don't want to lose the fantasy aspect of your conlang.

As for Analytical vs Synthetical, I think that it's possible to find a middle ground. Just like the huge diversity in real languages, you can have a diversity in conlangs, relevantly if you have a few. But yeah, in our case, it's best to keep things rather simple. In my vision, the language would still be highly regular. It will have a few complexities, but you won't have multiple conjugations or declinations.

As for procedural generation. Isolating and analytical languages lend themselves well to it, because you just vary the roots and keep the syntax and structure. The afro-asiatic/semitic model can work with it too by varying consonant tuples and pattern vowels.
If the pattern for a role holder is C1VC2C3V, for example, then to get the word "miner", you insert the consonants from the tuple generated for mining, and choose random vowels.
Affixing languages can also be generated by varying the affixes and roots.

Still, I don't think procedural generation is really right for languages because of player engagement. Since you can't expect a player to play on the same world for years, or even months, there is no reason for him to even pay attention to the languages, since they will be regenerated in his next world anyway. Except for the nerdy pleasure the designers get, you might as well generate gibbrish for unknown languages.

If you keep the languages constant, on the other hand, then players have a reason to at least skim over things in the game's languages, since as time goes by, they will get more and more familiar with the languages, especially if they are kept rather regular/simple. You can even get fan works containing them, like Klingon, for example.

P. S.
Sorry for quoting this post in one piece, but I don't have access to my PC right now, and on phone structuring a quote is a bit of a mess.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2018, 07:57:51 am »

That's very impressive! Also, your crazy for doing all that work without asking toady if he WANTS someone to write a language for him 😉
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4