Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Seeking a good MUD to play, again.  (Read 2151 times)

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking a good MUD to play, again.
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 04:20:12 am »

What? HellMOO used to be a constant brawl. I was scared of leaving FC and never got my character that high level, but I remember PK being very integral and very scary. What happened? I don't remember there really even being any rules.
Basically, somebody killed Gilmore, the owner, and stole his admin only instakill weapon and used it to kill him again when he tried to hunt them down. He threw a gigantic tantrum, shut down the servers and said he was going to kill the game. It came back up eventually, but with the rules changed and the staff much more willing to ban over tiny things. Last time I played, all I saw was sexhavers and nobody able to deal with them because they'd risk a ban. At one point, Gilmore intended to make it pay-per-character.
One basically removed pvp.
That was the main branch of HellMOO, called, uh, HellMOO. InfernoMOO and HateMOO were the other two major pro PVP factions, but both seemed to succumb to circlejerking and moderators who did favours for their friends. HellMOO proper became a rulesfest where most of the world is very safe, and completely lacks the aggressive, terrifying atmosphere that once was.

There was also a fourth fork coming, but it became Stillborn and slowly transformed into a heavy RP game. I lost interest then, but you should probably check it out.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 04:26:42 am by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Piotrhabera

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking a good MUD to play, again.
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2019, 04:24:40 pm »

Empire MUD is pretty welcoming I think. I was trying to run the reboot of the Dwarven Empire but lost interest since there really isn't much to do, and war isn't very fleshed out.

I like Armageddon, just never got into it. That and HellMOO always bring me back for various reasons but I also usually stop playing for other various reasons.

I would agree that really the only MUDs worth playing are roleplay ones, since mechanically almost any other games are far superior. I guess HellMOO is my one exception, but that's since it isnt the typical fantasy RPG thing. There are a few sci fi ones I like too, like Star Conflict and Marion... but I usually end up playing an actual sci fi game instead, since its generally more engaging.

Shit, I kinda want to get back into one of those two sci fi muds, or a star trek one now. Every time I dive back into MUDs though I come out not very satisfied. Maybe I just don't give em enough time.

Oh yeah! Fed II is worth looking at. The early game seems really grindy and I have yet to pay off my ship yet but it has a pretty large playerbase judging by usual playercounts and has a pretty immersive universe. I was looking to try it out as well.

Empire has a player-made world, and what worries me is that I would not knew where to find what. I'll give it a try one day, but it's not on my priority.

Armageddon is a RPI mud, which means it violates the 5th criterium in a devastating manner. Won't be taking a look at it for some time, but I do understand that it is engaging and may rate it in the future. Seeing that it is an RPI game, I expect it will have minimal, if not absent OOC communication methods, which will complicate things.
I may try out Federation II, provided it has combat. I heard it is a trading game with a combat-less system, and I look at non-combat games with caution.
I'd recommend HellMOO but I don't know what the quality is like now. Back when I played, the owner threw a massive tantrum over being killed by players and redesigned the rules from the ground up. I quit after player vs player conflict ground to a halt.
What? HellMOO used to be a constant brawl. I was scared of leaving FC and never got my character that high level, but I remember PK being very integral and very scary. What happened? I don't remember there really even being any rules.
There were a few branches of hellmoo. One basically removed pvp. All made a LOT of good changes. Rerolling became easy. I do miss it some days.
Basically, somebody killed Gilmore, the owner, and stole his admin only instakill weapon and used it to kill him again when he tried to hunt them down. He threw a gigantic tantrum, shut down the servers and said he was going to kill the game. It came back up eventually, but with the rules changed and the staff much more willing to ban over tiny things. Last time I played, all I saw was sexhavers and nobody able to deal with them because they'd risk a ban. At one point, Gilmore intended to make it pay-per-character.
That was the main branch of HellMOO, called, uh, HellMOO. InfernoMOO and HateMOO were the other two major pro PVP factions, but both seemed to succumb to circlejerking and moderators who did favours for their friends. HellMOO proper became a rulesfest where most of the world is very safe, and completely lacks the aggressive, terrifying atmosphere that once was.

There was also a fourth fork coming, but it became Stillborn and slowly transformed into a heavy RP game. I lost interest then, but you should probably check it out.

First things first: this is a thread about reccomending me MUD type games, not about HellMOO history. If you would like to talk about the good old days, I reccomend opening your own serperate thread.
Second things first: I did play Stillborn in 2017, but the owners had problems fitting their game vision into the Hellcore engine. Finally, they abandoned the old engine and the game changed dramatically. I've played it but it was in a barebones state - the developers aren't ready with the framework yet, or so I'm being told.

Pages: 1 [2]