Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Worlds Adrift: MMO PVP Persistent Islands & Airships  (Read 2610 times)

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Worlds Adrift: MMO PVP Persistent Islands & Airships
« on: May 25, 2018, 02:06:50 pm »

Worlds Adrift is a stunning game in development by the same devs who brought us Surgeon Simulator and I am Toast.

WA is a sandbox MMO in which you design and fly airships through the sky. Apart from your skyship, the only other thing in the sky are other ships and floating islands with resources. Long term goals of the game (so far) appear to be exploration and PVP.

Creatures in the game fly around in the sky but are actually simulated populations which, if they die out, disappear. They need to eat, rest, etc etc or else they die. They also migrate from island to island.

Despite being only on version .2.0.3 (in beta), there is already a surprising amount to do in the game and I run into other players on a frequent basis.

The devs as well are super in touch with their community (a must for me) and even have a built in feedback system (accessed with F2) that you can use to write notes to them about whats good and bad in the game on the fly (pun intended).

It's really such a great game with absurd potential, please check it out and at the very least, watch their gameplay trailer :)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/322780/Worlds_Adrift__Early_Access_MMO/

"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Worlds Adrift: MMO PVP Persistent Islands & Airships
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 02:18:10 pm »

Pretty sure we have a thread for this already.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 02:50:34 pm »

Pretty sure we have a thread for this already.

That thread ( I looked ) was for people looking for people to play with and the last reply was about a month ago
"zzz"

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 04:49:47 pm »

It looks and sounds very interesting, but a lot of the recent reviews and posts are saying it's a hailstorm of griefers, at least for the early game.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 07:40:48 pm »

It looks and sounds very interesting, but a lot of the recent reviews and posts are saying it's a hailstorm of griefers, at least for the early game.

I personally haven't experienced it. I know (or have heard) that it's a problem, but the devs are working on addressing it (which is one of the reasons why I say they are very in touch with their community)

Here's one of their posts on it. https://steamcommunity.com/games/322780/announcements/detail/1653264049361529864
"zzz"

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 08:00:49 am »

Creatures in the game fly around in the sky but are actually simulated populations which, if they die out, disappear. They need to eat, rest, etc etc or else they die. They also migrate from island to island.
...huh. So what I'm reading from that is xenocide, xenocide as far as the eye can see. What happens when there's nothing left alive besides the players that intentionally wiped out every critter population?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 10:41:25 am »

Well, you don't need to eat creatures anyway.
The creatures are just here to annoy you (when you gather wood or when you travel with engines on).

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 01:32:58 pm »

...huh. So what I'm reading from that is xenocide, xenocide as far as the eye can see. What happens when there's nothing left alive besides the players that intentionally wiped out every critter population?

I don't entirely know, and I've considered it myself. One thing, I think protecting this from happening, is simply how MASSIVE the world is. Like really massive. It would be extremely hard to completely wipe out the entire world's animal population (and even if, it's possible that they have some failsafe that occurs if a critter population gets too low, that may reintroduce a few of them in a random area).

Fortunately none of the critters provide critical resources, at least not yet, so even if they were killed off you don't miss them much. But I imagine it would be freakishly hard to do.
"zzz"

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 09:32:54 am »

See: Ultima Online
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 01:57:12 pm »

Ultima has airships?
"zzz"

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 02:16:39 pm »

The Ultima universe/multiverse had at least ONE airship(actually just a hot-air balloon). Also, I don't think Worlds Adrift has resource depletion the way Ultima Online did - I've seen resources respawn right in front of me(in particular a tree that almost impaled the ship I was building).

Sailing is quite slow, except when trying to do precision maneuvers(then it's too fast), and I don't have any means of navigation besides keeping an island in view at all times.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 03:01:46 pm »

Urist was probably talking about the animals. Ultima Online had simulated animal populations at first, until players murdered everything. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFNxJVTJleE

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 03:22:44 pm »

The Ultima universe/multiverse had at least ONE airship(actually just a hot-air balloon). Also, I don't think Worlds Adrift has resource depletion the way Ultima Online did - I've seen resources respawn right in front of me(in particular a tree that almost impaled the ship I was building).

Sailing is quite slow, except when trying to do precision maneuvers(then it's too fast), and I don't have any means of navigation besides keeping an island in view at all times.

There are instruments that you can unlock with the Knowledge tree as you progress. Also, you can unlock wings and engines which help you take more control of your ship as well as increase sailing speed. I agree, the starting sails are pretty garbage D:

The game will probably have better resource simulation as the game develops, it only just left alpha into beta

Urist was probably talking about the animals. Ultima Online had simulated animal populations at first, until players murdered everything. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFNxJVTJleE

Ah, I was unaware. Thats interesting though
"zzz"

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2018, 03:57:56 pm »

I agree, the starting sails are pretty garbage D:
I don't know, guys.... My first ships usually have 4-5 sails for a 1 ton ship, and it's quite fast. faster than with shitty engines, at least :)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2018, 04:03:42 pm »

I would have put more sails than the two I did on my first ship, but you have to furl/unfurl the sails manually, each taking a couple seconds.
Pages: [1] 2