Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vampires Brew blood  (Read 1022 times)

BinaryBlackhole

• Escaped Lunatic
  • The Wererats in the Walls
    • View Profile
Vampires Brew blood
« on: May 25, 2018, 07:42:37 pm »

At present vampire's do not drink alcohol and so suffer from alcohol withdrawal. It would resolve this issue and make the game more interesting if this was remedied by vampires brewing blood. Additionaly since the blood alcohol would satiate thirst it could be used to reducethe number of draining incidents This would be done independtaly with vampires setting up a blood brewing workshop in some corner of the fortress. As for the brewing this could be done normally either by "kidnapping" sleepign creatures or by making the vampire thirsty though i think we'd prefer if vampires didn't regurgitate blood.

The other more mundane method would be via brewing blood in blood barrels. Of cousre blood barrels can only be obtained by trading. To ensure a supply it could be made so that vampires could somehow either automatically have blood barrels listed for trading or perhaps steal them. The later option possibly resulting in minor anger from traders.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampires Brew blood
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 08:48:47 pm »

Vampires currently need living blood (don't they?)
Vampires currently drink alcohol (if served by a tavern keeper).

Apart from that, yeah, more gruesome habits can only serve to make the worlds more interesting!

Ninjabread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 09:01:49 pm »

Surely dwarven blood-alcohol content is high enough to get vampires a bit tipsy

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 02:54:15 am »

Overseer: "Hmm... what's this blood alcohol in the stocks screen?"
*Sees it held by dwarf*
*Orders dwarf to pull mysterious lever*
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 09:10:22 am »

Like most things, I don't know a lot about brewing, but I think it basically involves putting some sort of vegetable matter in water, adding yeast, and then waiting for it to ferment and become alcoholic (which is the main point, otherwise you'd just drink the water, right?). So...Is it even possible to brew blood? I don't think it is, at least in the way I interpret the spirit of the OPs suggestion to be.

Here's a report from someone who experimented with blood in their brewing process http://manchesterhomebrew.co.uk/brewing-with-blood/  But this isn't just blood added to water with yeast to make "blood alcohol". It's adding blood to the otherwise normal beer making process to achieve a blood flavour of some degree. It's like the difference between adding blood to dough to make "blood bread" or trying to actually knead blood into dough and then baking that into "blood bread". Brewing with blood denatures the blood, so it'd be a stretch to call the resultant liquid blood-alcohol even if there was enough sugar in it to ferment properly.

If the problem is vampires suffer alcohol withdrawal because they don't drink alcohol, I think the best solution is to make vampires not suffer from alcohol withdrawal (and they can still drink or pretend to drink regular alcohol if they're trying to keep up a facade). Blood brewing if implemented (because it sounds cool?) would be some sort of magical alchemical process, I'd imagine. Also, I'd be willing to bet that the blood barrels you get from caravans are a bug that will disappear eventually when Tarn gets around to it, probably at the same time that they stop magically supplying fresh meat over miles and all the other caravan oddities.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 09:13:21 pm »

I think the simplest solution is just to have blood replace the need for alchohol when a member of an alchohol-dependent race becomes a vampire.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 11:34:03 pm »

Vampires can be served booze by tavern staff. They should just be changed to do it on their own when they enter booze withdrawal.

It's the same with goblins. They can become booze dependent due to trauma, but don't actively seek it because they're NO_DRINK.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 11:59:15 pm »

What about a material tag that allows a substance to enter the blood when drunk, transferring its syndrome to anyone that drinks the blood?

To be fair, right now sating desire for alcohol is unconnected to the syndrome of alcohol... But of course this is silly and needs to change at some point.

I just want to see a vampire get drunk from drinking dwarf blood.