Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Poll: Do you mind if I shift how Talents work in favor of a superior system to the +X?

Please keep it the way it is
- 0 (0%)
Go ahead
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: July 06, 2018, 02:21:31 pm

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29

Author Topic: Murder, Inc. - Mission 2: Foul Play [Turn 40] (Defunct)  (Read 42109 times)

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile
Murder, Inc. - Mission 2: Foul Play [Turn 40] (Defunct)
« on: May 26, 2018, 10:54:37 pm »

Alright, so to start I'm going to skip past the greetings and pleasantries. Those of you who know me know me, those of you who don't soon will.

Here's the basic concept:

You are a member of a rather motley team of assassins, thieves and generally unsavory people. You work for a mega-corporation that gets most of it's income through off-the-record business, usually shady shit like kidnapping and contract killing. The game will be played in missions, so the primary objective will change every now and then. Some of your characters will be more suited to certain situations than others. If you're worried about technology/magic lining up in this setting, don't be. Things won't make much sense sometimes, but this is more so about fun and telling a decent story than rules for me.

Health is everyone's favorite- chunky salsa. For the uninitiated, that means wounds don't really work on a 'number' system. Injuries are more narrative and specific than just "lose 3 health" and as such, expect to wind up crippled long before you end up succumbing to your wounds. Other then that, everything is standard RTD.

Spoiler: Standard RTD (click to show/hide)

Now onto characters. I quite like the system I used for my now-defunct "Labyrinth", and so I've decided to use it again.

Spoiler: NRDL (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rethi-Eli (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: TricMagic (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ozarck (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Egan_BW (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: TrickleJest (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Playerlist 6/6 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Waitlist (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Cold Storage (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 06:03:09 pm by Mallos »
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Murder, Inc. - AKA "Mallos's Not-So-Big Return To GMing"
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 10:59:19 pm »

Name: Peregrin Nix
Species/Race: Hobbit
Talents: Stealth, Diplomacy
Trait: High resistance to mind control, emotional manipulation, etc.
Inventory: Dagger, camouflage cloak, self-tying rope
Bio: An overall pleasant and courteous individual, Nix never really grew up with the sense that other people were as important as him, or had inherent value beyond what they could do for him. When it came to getting what he wanted, this was useful.  In the end, he found Hobbiton society far too drab and boring for his tastes, and his desire for a little excitement caused him to turn to bloody crime.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 11:09:58 pm by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 11:13:36 pm »

Name: Osmond of High Rock
Species/Race: Human. Sort of like constantly bipedal monkeys with a lot less hair and better posture.
Talents: Swordsmanship, shield use.
Trait: Osmond was inadvertently the lone survivor of an experiment trying to create a superhuman creature. While all other test subjects died of rapid tumour growth, Osmond miraculously survived, and came out of the program with enhanced regenerative abilities.
Inventory: Shimmering steel bastard sword
Knife
Standard issue shield
Throwing knife (12)
Flare (2)

Bio: Osmond was approaching a would-be midlife crisis when he was chloroformed in an alley. A few unsavory needle-filled days later, he was locked up in a cage by a group of mercenaries trying to evolve humanity by force. Osmond, locked up with a number of other unfortunates, watched as his fellow captives died off, until only he remained. Before his captors could do any more harm to Osmond, they succumbed to a wee bit of absolutely brutal infighting. Osmond was able to escape using the distraction, although he did take a nasty wound on his arm. He was shocked, however, to find that within the span of a few hours, the wound had already closed. From this point on, Osmond served as a hired blade for the highest bidder.
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 11:38:22 pm »

Name: Frederek "Plugs" Astlaki   
Species/Race: Lightly-augmented mongerel human
Talents: Knife fighting, systems operation.   
Trait: Crudely implanted with a cybernetic system allowing him to interface with and control electrical power grids via a small screen grafted to his right wrist, as long as he can gain access to the equivalent of a power outlet. Highly unsafe technology that was rather sloppily implemented by his old employer. AKA electromancy.   
Inventory: Futuristic boxcutter (GM interpretation), rubber-soled combat boots, a variety of piercings (made from stone) and frazzled, light-blue hair.   
Bio: Plugs grew up in the slums of [CITY], and learned at a young age that the only ways to get ahead in his world were to either work for a megacorp or take what you could by any means - and no amount of resume-padding would ever convince the megacorps to hire some snotty kid from the bottom of the world.
He joined a gang of petty criminals and lived a fairly mundane and low-key life of crime until his gang acquired an old set of "electromancer"-brand cybernetic implants whilst robbing a disused warehouse. Basically, just a bunch of simple cables to be implanted in the user's limbs, with a bunch of plugs protruding from various points. The older members of the gang, not wanting to use this shoddy old tech themselves, had a shady doctor known as Anthony Wittinreisen equip poor plugs with it instead. Along with his resultant nickname (he had previously been simply referred to as "kid" or "shithead", so it was a definite step up in that regard) came greatly increased usefulness, and his crew stepped up their criminal activities and Plugs even began freelancing occasionally, offering his "electromancy" abilities to other gangs around the underworld.
Eventually though, his continued success (and neverending greed) made him cocky, and on one of many dirty jobs he and his companions overstepped their bounds and were captured by the authorities of [CITY]. His somewhat rare abilities, though, led to him being spared simple imprisonment along with the others. He was, instead, assigned to [PLAYER TEAM] - doing much the same kind of work as he'd done before, only now with less pay and with the backing of [MEGACORP].

He takes a rather wry, fatalistic approach to life these days.   

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 01:45:02 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

AnonymousPotato

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 11:49:37 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 12:32:06 am »

Name: Anthony Wittinreisen.
Species/Race: Werewolf
Talents:
Frankensteinian Science: the skills to replace body parts with spares or to upgrade a person with implants of various kinds.
Infiltration (AKA "Breaking and Entering"): The ability to get into and out of places he's not supposed to get into or out of.
Trait: Regeneration. Bits that Anthony "misplaces" regrow over time. this requires lots of food and energy - roughly one humanoid sized victim per standard organ - anywhere from two to five for major organs or limbs. His monthly transformations can increase the speed of regrowth, at the cost of needing much more food.
standard werewolf traits:
three nights a month he goes on a berserk rampage in wolf or wolfman form. He is compelled ot kill and eat at this time. If he does not eat one night, he wakes emaciated and starving, and must eat the next day.
at will transformation: Anthony can switch to his berserk werewolf mode on his own, but once in that mode, he acts as a berserk werewolf, with all the normal rules and restrictions. He can also, via an act of will, transform into a weaker version of the werewolf, and retain his mental capacities. Useful for infiltration. This form is less energetic and less powerful.
Accidental Transformation: occasionally, Anthony will either transform into his werewolf form retaining his human mind, or into his human form retaining his werewolf berserk. He has no control over these occasional transformations, and must sleep a full night or day to return to normal
Inventory: a Crude Operating Room filled with the surgical tools necessary to do transplants or upgrades, field surgeon pack, set of lockpicks, a pair of specialized goggles that can look inside a person's body (has various settings to see bones, neural net, bloodflow, or organs)
Bio: Anthony is a natural werewolf - he was born with the trait. Naturally, this made him a target throughout his life. Anthony has had to take care to avoid being hunted for his organs, or just on principle. Somehow, he managed to live a semi-normal life. Normal enough to gain the skills of a surgical doctor, from a shady, third-world hospital. An unfortunate disagreement over pay and living conditions resulted in a rather bloody escape from that facility, and Anthony has been more or less on the run since, living as a lowlife criminal and street doc.

his involvement in this activity is what landed him in the unit.

((Yoink, feel free to have Anthony be the hack doc that augmented "Plugs"))
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 07:01:38 am by Ozarck »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 12:41:23 am »

Looks like there's one more slot open, and I need to be in ALL THE RTDs, so hold on a mo.

Name: OP-tr 2.7 G12 (Octopede, terminator class, version 2.7, deployment G, unit 12)
Species: Octopede bot (Metal disk the size of a frisbee, with eight flexible limbs emerging, evenly spaced, from the rims.)
Talents: Pistols, Hand-to-hand
Trait: Equipment (arms may retract into the main body, leaving only a fairly mundane disk that may be mistaken for some kind of computer, and will not appear as a weapon on scans. Does not mind not being treated like a person.)
Inventory: semiauto pistol [laser sight], custom pistol holster, combat knife, custom knife sheath [concealed internally], basic metalfixing tools [includes first-aid library]
Bio: Constructed for the express purpose of following the directives:
1: Follow orders from handler
2: Complete the mission
3: Avoid conspicuous actions
4: Minimize harm to self
Lower numbered orders hold higher priority. This unit will follow these orders, as is it's purpose.
Unit has been assigned to this team. Awaiting designation of handler?

(Limited ability to interface directly with electronics that are not made specifically to interface with an octopede-class AI. No ability to transfer consciousness electronically to other hardware; the thinking-bits are specialized for the task. Somewhat lower than human intelligence, no need to establish dominance, no need to maintain pride, does not experience embarrassment or discomfort. Unfalteringly loyal. Does not fully understand humanoid behavior. May conceivably be taught to love.)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 01:18:54 am by Egan_BW »
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 01:21:17 am »

Alright, everyone's approved. Egan is waitlisted, I'll begin writing up the start of the first mission soon.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 01:22:39 am »

Could have sworn that said 4/6.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 01:24:14 am »

PTW
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 01:42:36 am »

((Yoink, feel free to have Anthony be the hack doc that augmented "Plugs"))
((Done!))

Could have sworn that said 4/6.
((Don't worry, I have a feeling this team will have an excellent rate of attrition, whatever our mission is.))   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 01:51:19 am »

((Someone put me in their inventory to sneak me past the player cap, please. ;P))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 02:37:47 am »

((Someone put me in their inventory to sneak me past the player cap, please. ;P))
Sure, if no one else does. in my GM'ing experience though, playing as equipment is ... challenging. But it'd be entirely within my character's ... character to have an object like this.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2018, 02:40:46 am »

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2018, 04:58:54 am »

Alright, I've decided to just let Egan in and increase the player cap to 6. I like even numbers better anyway.

Back to writing the first turn.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29