Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Poll: Do you mind if I shift how Talents work in favor of a superior system to the +X?

Please keep it the way it is
- 0 (0%)
Go ahead
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: July 06, 2018, 02:21:31 pm

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29

Author Topic: Murder, Inc. - Mission 2: Foul Play [Turn 40] (Defunct)  (Read 41354 times)

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile
Re: Murder, Inc. - Mission 1: Trouble In Paradise
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2018, 05:51:01 am »

The group is awakened by a turbulent shaking. As you all come to your senses, you peer around and soon reach the conclusion that you are in some kind of aircraft. Strapped into your seats arranged in an open circle, a projector of some sorts descends from the ceiling with a thunk. A thin blue holographic screen is projected in the open space between all 6 of you. For a moment, text reading "MESSAGE INCOMING" lingers on the screen. It soon changes to "PLAYING...". Once this happens, the voice that emits from the speakers is a bit surprising. It's sweet, sultry even. Yet something seems off about it.

"Welcome to Murder Inc. We'd like to preemptively inform you that your services are appreciated. We know that isn't enough for you, though, and that's fine- appreciation is the first of many rewards that await you if you are loyal to the Corporation. Your first mission is about proving we didn't make a mistake in picking you- Prove you are capable of what we need you to do, and you will be provided with more rewarding assignments. Be advised, however, that high risk precedes plentiful rewards.

Anyhow, let's get to business. You, members of Operation Sellsword, are to capture an artifact of particular interest to the Corporation. Why it interests us is not your concern- just know that it is valuable to us, and we will reward you appropriately. This artifact is an ancient blade forged by a secret society in antiquity, it's original purpose long forgotten. The blade was acquired by one of the wealthy in a recent auction. Her name is Thala, and she dabbles in magic of all kinds. For what purposes she plans to use the sword we can't be sure, but it likely has to do with some sort of ritual. Infiltrate her estate and acquire the blade- but be advised, you will meet significant resistance from her guards if caught.

Failure would be most unsatisfactory, and would involve patching up a serious mess. Digging into those kinds of funds would be agonizing for the Corporation, so do your best to succeed. Good luck, Sellswords. You're going to need it.
"

As the message plays, the screen changes to photos of the estate, Thala herself (who is actually quite young for a 'witch') and finally a painting of  the sword in question. The estate is, from what it looks in the photo, massive and styled after Gothic architecture. The photo of Thala is conventionally attractive, if you can ignore the sneer on her face; she really should learn to smile. Finally, the sword- it is magnificent. It's a rapier of some sort. The hilt is inlaid with stunning amethyst, and the blade is stained with blood from battles in ages past. Something tells you that not even the greatest artist could capture it's beauty. 

The dropship soon lands afterward, unloading all six of you onto a large hill overlooking the estate.  The land out here is beautiful, ancient trees of prodigious size dotting the rolling hills- not even the estate itself mars it's natural beauty, somehow meshing with it on an intangible level. You have little time to admire architecture or topography, however. You need a plan. The question is, what will it be?

((Pardon the double-post, but it is a *turn* after all.))
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Murder, Inc. - AKA "Mallos's Not-So-Big Return To GMing"
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2018, 06:15:17 am »

While Anthony talks to the others, he scans the grounds for stealth route options - staying behind hills and under the cover of trees, for instance. He'd like to get within sprinting distance of the Mansion before being observed. He'll also attempt to determine if the grounds have more mystical guardians - Fey or something. Never know with a witch.

"You think they saw us land in that dropship, up here on this scenic hilltop?

So ... who do I have to work with here? Looks like two combat oriented ... Are you a burglar, Mr. Hobbit? I have some small skill in that regard myself. And my friend 'Plugs' here is good for information gathering and power outages. Could come in handy if we can get him into position.

So, let's let the sneaky lead the way, I'll try to find good entry points to the house itself, and you two could bring up the rear and guard Plugs from any guards? Unless you guys'd rather create a diversion or something? Probably not wise at this point, though."

Spoiler: Anthony Wittinreisen (click to show/hide)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2018, 06:18:32 am »

"Primary doctrine is to infiltrate as luggage, wait for an activation signal. Then unfurl, perform wetworks. This is only suggestion; I am in need of orders, operator."
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2018, 06:20:09 am »

I'm here in case things get hairy. Let's all hope it doesn't come to that, and I don't have to do much.

Listen to the others for now.
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2018, 06:24:20 am »

"Avoiding violence entirely in this situation is deemed improbable. Also... unsatisfying. This unit is designed to enjoy killing sapient beings, as that is its purpose.
However, if a lack of violence would result in a more efficient completion of mission objectives, that is the course of action that should be pursued."
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2018, 07:12:37 am »

Plugs hops out of the dropship in silence, taking a moment to crouch and do a few stretches to work some life back into his legs.
He then straightens up, with a sigh, and mutters, "Well, let's get this over with. Seems simple enough: some rich kid and her freak-tech toy."

After a moment squinting at the compound arrayed before them, he adds, "Well, and whatever security she could afford with this kinda money. Might be a little hairy. Just a bit." He nods in response to the doctor's remark. "Yeah, get me in there an' I'll play havoc with their systems. Dunno what kind of gear these guards will have - woulda been nice to cover that in our, uh, 'briefing' - but I'm sure I can at least figure out where security's tightest. What we're after's probably gonna be there, after all."   

Do some light stretches to limber up a bit whilst planning takes place.
Look around. Try and determine whether our decidedly overt means of arrival has blown our cover already.

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2018, 12:22:09 pm »

"Once we get past any electronic security, figuring out the guards' patterns and slipping past them should be straightforward. May want to figure out a safe space to dispose bodies in.

Twirl my knife in my fingers while waiting.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

AnonymousPotato

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2018, 01:43:57 pm »

I run from the drop zone to a quiet hill and examine the house for any windows,doors,cheminies,etc.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 02:53:47 pm by AnonymousPotato »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2018, 02:26:44 pm »

"Primary doctrine is to infiltrate as luggage, wait for an activation signal. Then unfurl, perform wetworks. This is only suggestion; I am in need of orders, operator."
"I believe our orders suggest that we try to do it quiet-like, first. But there will almost certainly be opportunity for you to fight. Your standing orders will be to lead any hostiles away from whoever of us manages to get the weapon. If the mission goes loud, and the enemy is onto us, you will have permission to return fire at will. are your orders sufficiently detailed and clear?

Rendezvous point is right here on the hillside. I assume the dropship will come for us here. If I am mistaken, I hope our employer makes our extraction point and time obvious."

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2018, 02:31:44 pm »

Waitlist time I guess.

Name: Donella
Species/Race: Alfheim Spriggan Fairy
Talents: Encyclopaedīae: Numerus Pictōrius Colophōn; ɪɡdrəsɪl sál
Alfheim Traits: Minor Magic Resistance, Racial ability: Focused Incant Magic-user,
Personal Trait~Ego: Cogito, ergo sum

Spoiler: Spriggan Traits: (click to show/hide)

Extra Magic currently available: Heal-T1(Water Spell Tree), Stone-T1(Earth Spell Tree)

Inventory: Ancient Dagger, Blackwood Bow, Spriggian Quiver, Spriggan Cloak, Spriggan Clothes, Forest Shoes.

Bio: A born A.i. Donella originally lived in Yggdrasil City, the City above the Clouds. However, during the event of {Spoiler: Second Season of Sao}, she was displaced dimensionally. The World's Seed has granted her a soul, though she still doesn't really have any moral compass, other than experimentation is okay. This could change though now that she is free to make her own actions, but she's currently working for [REDACTED].

Spoiler: Explained Flavor (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 05:21:00 pm by TricMagic »

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2018, 02:36:49 pm »

Waitlist time I guess.

Talents: Encyclopaedīae: Numerus Pictōrius Colophōn, ɪɡdrəsɪl sál
Alfheim Traits: Minor Magic Resistance, Racial ability: Focused Incant Magic-user,

Spriggan Traits:
Flight: Like all other races, the Spriggans are capable of using their wings to fly. The vibration of their wings is known to make a sound resembling that of a wind instrument.

Illusion Magic: Though capable of using other types of magic, Spriggans are the masters of Illusion and initially start with Illusion-attribute spells. One such spell is «Metamorphosis», which usually turns the user into some weak monster without any status change.

Treasure Hunting Magic: Though capable of using other types of magic, Spriggans are known to be the masters of Treasure Hunting Magic, a magic that assists them in treasure hunting.

«Wall Run»: As one of the lightweight races, the Spriggans are capable of using the skill Wall Run, that, as the name suggests, allows them to temporarily run on walls. The normal limit is a distance of ten meters but those with an extremely high sprinting speed are known to be able to run for about thirty meters.

Multi-Weapon Wielding: The Spriggans are capable of wielding any type of weapon.

Night Vision: Spriggans are known to have night vision, allowing them to be able to see in near total darkness. They are also capable of casting a buff that gives others the same abilities.

Extra Magic currently available: Heal-T1(Water), Stone-T1(Earth)

Inventory: Ancient Dagger, Blackwood Bow, Spriggian Quiver, Spriggan Cloak, Spriggan Clothes, Forest Shoes.

Bio: Will finish this when I'm not nearly asleep. The talents are quite descriptive of what the bio will be though..

No offense, I am quite confused as to what the hell half of this means.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2018, 02:37:43 pm »

"Orders are received. Query: the humanoid body AI appears to be disregarding stealth. Our mission goals may be best served if it is eliminated before it can reveal our presence to the enemy."

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2018, 02:56:41 pm »

No offense taken, it's flavor at the moment.

I've got a can of Coke Zero and am finishing it now.

~Done!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 03:46:59 pm by TricMagic »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2018, 03:07:31 pm »

Plugs hops out of the dropship in silence, taking a moment to crouch and do a few stretches to work some life back into his legs.
He then straightens up, with a sigh, and mutters, "Well, let's get this over with. Seems simple enough: some rich kid and her freak-tech toy."

After a moment squinting at the compound arrayed before them, he adds, "Well, and whatever security she could afford with this kinda money. Might be a little hairy. Just a bit." He nods in response to the doctor's remark. "Yeah, get me in there an' I'll play havoc with their systems. Dunno what kind of gear these guards will have - woulda been nice to cover that in our, uh, 'briefing' - but I'm sure I can at least figure out where security's tightest. What we're after's probably gonna be there, after all."   

Do some light stretches to limber up a bit whilst planning takes place.
Look around. Try and determine whether our decidedly overt means of arrival has blown our cover already.

"Well, remember, she's got that ancient magic sword thing for some ritual or some shit. So, expect some exotic bullshit, as well as the normal stuff a Robber Baron might have on hand. I do hope we can get you in contact with a usable system before we hit the house itse;f, but if not, well, we'll make do."

"Once we get past any electronic security, figuring out the guards' patterns and slipping past them should be straightforward. May want to figure out a safe space to dispose bodies in.

Twirl my knife in my fingers while waiting.
"If we get past the electronic security before we have to get past the living, that would be great. as for hiding hte bodies, well, we won't know until we're inside, really. My suggestion? find a quiet room, tuck them inside, and jam the door. Maybe with pennies. Buy us a little time anyway. I suppose if we go when the help are not active, using laundry chutes and dumb-waiters would be good too. wine cellars, wardrobes... the possibilities are there. Heck, you could probably get away with shoving one behind a couch, especially in a decorative room where nobody touches the furniture ... if you can avoid leaving a trail of blood. The help are gonna be pretty meticulous about appearances, after all."

"Orders are received. Query: the humanoid body AI appears to be disregarding stealth. Our mission goals may be best served if it is eliminated before it can reveal our presence to the enemy."
"Looks like it veered off. Probably just scouting, and getting the hell away from the landing site. Well, if he goes in full sprint, he'll at least cause a distraction. Might cause a weakpoint in the guard patrols."

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2018, 05:34:33 pm »

Waitlist time I guess.

Talents: Encyclopaedīae: Numerus Pictōrius Colophōn; ɪɡdrəsɪl sál

Spoiler: Spriggan Traits: (click to show/hide)

Extra Magic currently available: Heal-T1(Water Spell Tree), Stone-T1(Earth Spell Tree)

Bio: A born A.i. Donella originally lived in Yggdrasil City, the City above the Clouds. However, during the event of {Spoiler: Second Season of Sao}, she was displaced dimensionally. The World's Seed has granted her a soul, though she still doesn't really have any moral compass, other than experimentation is okay. This could change though now that she is free to make her own actions, but she's currently working for [REDACTED].

Spoiler: Explained Flavor (click to show/hide)

So this is simultaneously the weirdest character sheet I've ever received and the most convoluted (not entirely a bad thing though, I can work with it) so kudos for that. I think I might water down some of those traits though, and the spells should probably be more general. Magic traits should be more about a particular school than a particular spell, if you get what I'm saying, so as to enable more inventive uses for it. That's also a pretty big amount of traits, some of which are a bit redundant. I'd ask you to remove the bit about 'multi-weapon wielding' as I assume just about anyone can use any kind of weapon (although not as well as others more well versed) in this particularly hacked together setting. The second talent doesn't really make sense as a talent, it seems more like a trait because the traits are meant to be more 'abstract' whereas the talents are just a category of actions you are familiar with and therefore get a bonus to. I can definitely deal with the "magic-user" trait and the magic resistance trait, those are both alright. The coding talent is also fine. "Extra magic" is a bit redundant. Stone and Heal would be fine as traits, though, if you really wanted to keep them that specific and limited. Let me know if I sound a bit disjointed here, I'm feeling off today.

On the matter of the turn, I think I'll wait about an hour or two more before I start writing it so get any actions or communication in.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 29