Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Very large number of civs (entities)  (Read 935 times)

SoggyGoat

• Bay Watcher
  • Some call them clowns... I call them bitches.
    • View Profile
Very large number of civs (entities)
« on: May 27, 2018, 10:14:11 pm »

Howdy! I'm working on a mod and I have several ideas for various entities. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a large number of civs (I'm talking 10-20 entities maybe), if this is viable and what issues I could expect to encounter.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Very large number of civs (entities)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 10:07:57 am »

Sure, it's no major problem, plenty of players use big modpacks and even add Fortress Defense or similar on top of it.  Of course you need to gen bigger worlds with plenty of sites.

SoggyGoat

• Bay Watcher
  • Some call them clowns... I call them bitches.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 10:15:58 am »

I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 10:27:49 am »

There are only few very minor problems:

1. If there are too many entities, some may not generate, and the weaker ones may go extinct in worldgen. As smake said, big worlds help.

2. Several caravans arriving at the same time can eat fps big time. Better to have fewer allies and more enemies.

3. Speaking of enemies: more chance for multiple sieges to appear simultaneously, but then again, if you try hard enough that can happen in vanilla too. Depending of how you look at it, it might not be a problem at all.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 02:38:23 pm »

It can become difficult to differentiate between civs if the languages arent instantly recognizable and they share the same race, since there are only ever five site types.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 08:07:07 am »

For adventure mode, give the civs different soundmessages!
"You hear orcs talking."

--sounds.. loudness/distance (squares), commonness (1000 for alarm, 10k peaceful).
   [SOUND:ALERT:50:1200:VOCALIZATION:shout:shouts:a warcry]
   [SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:45:80000:VOCALIZATION:shout:shouts:an orcish shout] --very rare but long-distance
   [SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:20:180000:VOCALIZATION:ponder the fleetingness of it all:looks very wise:insane gibbering in the distance] --very rare
   [SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:18:189000:VOCALIZATION:ponder the beauty of it all:looks very content:steady orcish chanting in the distance] --very rare
   [SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:17:89500:VOCALIZATION:think about slaying something:complains about the recent deaths:overhear talk about deaths]
   [SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:20:27000:VOCALIZATION:sneeze:sneezes wildly:an orc sneezing hard]
   [SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:7:25000:VOCALIZATION:burp:burps:an orc burp]
   [SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:7:18000:VOCALIZATION:spit:spits:somebody spitting]
   [SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:11:9500:VOCALIZATION:talk:talks:orcs talking]
   [SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:13:14500:VOCALIZATION:talk:talks in hushed tones:orcs talking quietly]
   [SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:15:18500:VOCALIZATION:talk:shrugs:orcs talking about deities]
   [SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:17:12000:VOCALIZATION:pray:prays:a guttural prayer]
   [SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:4:16000:VOCALIZATION:sigh:sighs:a sigh] --shortest distance/loudness
   [SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:16:17000:VOCALIZATION:swear:swears and spits:somebody swearing in orcish]
   [SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:11:19000:VOCALIZATION:mutter:mutters:somebody muttering]
   [SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:8:18000:VOCALIZATION:grunt:grunts:a grunt]
   [SOUND:PEACEFUL_INTERMITTENT:9:7000:VOCALIZATION:cough:coughs:a deep cough]
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884