Dwarf Fortress > DF Gameplay Questions

Force Extinction?

(1/5) > >>

GPeter:
I'm trying to create a world where dwarves are extinct, I already tried creating pocket worlds, but they always win the wars, and I kinda wanted a big world, is there any form, DFHack or not, to force a civ to go extinct?

PatrikLundell:
It's tricky, because of a bug that causes civs not to die properly, but rather remain "struggling" even when they have had neither members nor sites for 1000 years.
Also, how extinct do you need them to be? Necros can be dwarves (but if there are no secrets to learn no necros will appear), and civs starting out as other races can assimilate dwarves, so dwarves exist, but dwarven civs do not. Also, do you want to start as a dead civ, or do you actually want extinction?

If you want (civ) extinction you ought to change entity_defaults.txt to limit the number of dwarven civs to 1.
A lot of Titans and megabeasts are good at smashing civs early before they have time to establish a second foothold, although goblins tend to be fairly good at it as well.

These DFHack scripts may be of use: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=165084.msg7526484#msg7526484.
"permit_dead" allows you to embark as a dead playable civ even if there are ones that are not dead (adding the dead ones to the list). "slab_civ" pushes playable civs over the brink during world gen so they're dead rather than struggling (setting the stage for permit_dead if you have multiple civs).

Shonai_Dweller:
Or just...remove dwarves from entity_default.txt. Just a thought.

GPeter:
I actually want to play on a world with no drarven civ, and go like a rebuild of the dwarves. Rebuild the dwarven civilization out of the scratch, building a fort, then retiring It and building another, until we conquer the world (It will take time, I know).

PatrikLundell:
Removing dorfs from entity_default.txt would result in an adventurer only world, which apparently isn't what you want.
I'd go with one dwarven civ, make sure it's properly killed off (and the only sure sign of that is to embark and check the civ screen. The civ sub screen should be completely empty: if your own civ is listed it's only "struggling").

When I used vanilla functions to get my dead civs I generated world after world after... and copied the ones that looked sort of dead, made test embarks in them (just default embark at a random location) to verify it was (usually not) dead. When I finally found a dead civ I then restored the copy and embarked properly. It took a lot of time to stumble upon one that was properly dead.
It became a lot easier with slab_civ, although it's still a pain (I'm not actually using slab_civ itself, but a custom script for my PSV world that includes that logic).

Also note that you're going to have trouble repopulating the world by retiring/embarking, as the two migrant waves you get in your following fortresses mostly or completely will be drawn from previous fortresses, thus depopulating those (the expedition leader seems to always stay, but populating the world one fortress/dorf per embark would be very tedious). Also, those fortresses ought to be extremely easy to conquer for e.g. goblins.

The other route is to embark, build up a fortress through breeding (taking 30 years or so), and then make the next embark. Given that the two migrant waves tend to result in a fortress pop of 12-24 or so it shouldn't drain the previous fortress overly much if you built it up properly (but goblins, titans, and megabeasts are still threats, of course).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version