Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Operand [Quest]  (Read 4482 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Operand [Quest]
« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2018, 09:41:47 pm »

Getting on the road, you take the opportunity to play some music a friend sent you on your PDA the other night. You worry it's rude that you're only getting to it now, but as the chill tones start, you forget about that. Huh. You have no idea where this comes from, but you can kinda dig it as the morning air streams through the car's open frame. Ahhhhh.

Everything's still so sleepy. No one out of their houses, no one else on the road aside from a single street-cleaner drone. Before long you reach the pointy tip of the loop, where a battery station sits next to the junction out onto the freeway. You're good on charge, though, so you pass it, cranking the velociter up to 80 kph freeway speed. At this rate, the drive'll take a little over an hour. Doesn't look like there's anyone else on the freeway right now, so you might go even faster...
[] ...but best to play it safe.
[] ...and have some real fun.

The playlist continues, and the road curves gently out and around the Eastern arm of the mountains, rising up a few meters onto metal struts. It's mostly empty salt plains stretching around, dotted occasionally with colorful hot-spring pools and thickets of brineflutes. On the mountain-facing side of the road, though, there are occasional stands of coopers1, which thicken into clumps of red forest on the foothills. You see an occasional supply truck coming the other way, and one or two other vehicles on your side as you begin passing places that feed onto the road. Nothing much, just a handful of of hamlets and communes with pit stops. You think there's a scientific outpost of some kind around here, but you've never really looked into it.

Once you've come around the mountain, the road points dead North, the hills on one side and the open plains on the other. Some of the towers of Urzek start poking over the horizon before long, though there's still most of the drive to go. Looks like the playlist will last for a bunch of it. At about the halfway point, you see a big, grey octagon sitting on the landscape way off to the right. The regional Defense Force base. There's a huge fenced-off tract of land around it, though not nearly so huge as the Aerospace port that comes up on the left in a dozen kilometers.

Even now you see an aircraft coming down on the descent. Doesn't look like an orbiter though. There's always talk about building a space elevator somewhere, but nothing ever materializes. There's good progress on the magnetic launch at this port, though. Apparently it might finally start running sometime this year.

The ASP runs all the way up to the city, and the road starts rising up higher to accommodate the access ways below. As you come up by the terminal, you pass under a big legged tram astride the highway, parked at an elevated station. The buildings rise high into the sky up ahead; great tiered towers of slender profile, most with greenery festooning their intermediate shelves. There's a fair amount of other vehicles now as the highway joins the other arterial roads curving up above the ground, but you head for an exit, needing to go down to street level. You can see the aquatic transport pipes hanging on the underside of the freeway as you descend, their transparent tubes branching off and running in amongst the buildings and above the pedestrian paths.

[] You begin looking for a place to park, after which you can make your way on foot.
[] You start heading directly for your destination.

1. A genus of native flora. Similar to trees, but growing in arcing hoops with two ends planted in the ground. Along the spine of their arches, big blades fan out for photosynthesis and respiration, which range from red to burgundy in color.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2018, 09:50:12 pm »

[X] ...and have some real fun.
[X] You start heading directly for your destination.

Not carrying stuffs back on foot, natch.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2018, 09:56:18 pm »

...Let's not go too fast.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2018, 12:38:17 am »

Sonic is disappointed in you.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2018, 05:12:14 am »

+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2018, 09:59:35 am »

+1
+1
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177472.0
Roll to Multitask, seeking new players.
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.
This really happened. 2020 was wild.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2018, 03:02:14 am »

You start heading directly to your destination, your playlist only now reaching its end as you really gunned it back on the open road. Feels good! You made sure to slow down once you got nearer the city though. Never used to be able to drive like that when you still lived here...

There's a fair few people out as you're picking your way through the grid of ground-level streets. Folks say it's more economical to be up and out during the day, but you've never seen the streets of the city totally deserted at any hour. Fortunately, the traffic's impeccably coordinated. Within twenty minutes you make your way to your destination, an emporium at the base of one of the city's vertical farms, and deposit your vehicle in storage beneath the building.

You take the lift up to the lobby. It's a bent rectangular space following the curve of the building, orange on the inner wall and ceiling. With the garage lift behind you, there's the door out to the street on your left, and the one to the building's innards on your right. Ahead of you is a front desk/kiosk on the lip of the big aquarium tank that takes up about 2/3rds of the room. The plexiglass dividing it from the walkable space goes up about waist high, though the bottom drops to a couple meters below the floor. There's several varieties of striking greenery both floating on the surface and below, and from the flora emerges a R'talis, swimming up to the front glass.

Its skin flashes colored stripes as it rests against the glass, looking you up and down with its four eyes. There's a segmented plastene device attached to the side of their face at three points.
[] "L'metlo!" you call out.
[X] "L'metlo, how's it been?"
[] "Hey."

The R'talis, who you recognize as L'metlo, starts moving the device on their face, and a smooth synthetic voice comes from the kiosk. "Hello and welcome. Have we met? Apologies, just hard to distinguish Jenels sometimes."
[] "It's me, Joilyc!"
[] "That's racist."
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 12:28:57 pm by HugoLuman »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2018, 08:02:11 am »

[X] "It's me, Joilyc!"
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2018, 11:21:28 am »

[✔] "L'metlo!" you call out.

[✔] "It's me, Joilyc!"

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2018, 05:20:59 pm »

[X] "It's me, Joilyc!"
Yeah sorry, someone blew up a street in my state and took the internet down for multiple days with it.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2018, 12:57:50 pm »

(Sorry for delays! I got a bit stuck here and my computer constantly loses power)

"It's me, Joilyc!"

"Of course." L'metlo clasps all six of their short arms. "Who else do I know that likes that band?"
[] "Damn right"
[X] "Hey, RBS is awesome!"
[] say nothing

Their skin shifts to a gentle, darkish lime. "Well, that is a lovely new form you've built. What can I do for you?"

"Oh, we're putting together some new growbeds back home. I was looking for some stock."

L'metlo drifts to the underwater part of the kiosk. "I can certainly help you with that. What did you have in mind?"

[] "Lantern fruit. I wanna bit of a challenge."
[] "Cannabinoids. We wanna try making some of those Earthling tinctures."
[] "Caribbean Tubers. We're thinking of incorporating some livestock."
[] Some other, Earth plant. write-in
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 12:28:21 pm by HugoLuman »

The_Two_Eternities

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2018, 01:04:15 pm »

[X] "Caribbean Tubers. We're thinking of incorporating some livestock."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2018, 05:31:21 am »

[X] Some other, Earth plant. "Corn, we're thinking of making moonshine."

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2018, 07:21:06 am »

[X] "Caribbean Tubers. We're thinking of incorporating some livestock."

+1
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]