Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: Imperator: Rome - Paradox in Togas?!  (Read 23481 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: Imperator: Rome - Paradox in Togas?!
« Reply #150 on: February 19, 2021, 09:26:39 am »

I've been playing this a little since Marius and I must say the game feels better, but the strange feel of disconnect persist. I think it is the hybrid model between EU-style spirit of nations -play and having actual characters in the game. There are characters, yes, but unlike in Crusader Kings, I feel no connection to them. They are just... there. The game does very little in bringing them up on my face as people, even when playing a monarchy. For example, one of the king's sons died suddenly (through crucifixation of all things) and I wasn't even told about it, since it wasn't the heir. I just noticed it randomly when checking what type of stats the non-heirs had.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2021, 05:18:34 pm »

I'd either like them to fix the ease of mass migration/colonization that the player can use to blot out all the vacant land, or train the AI to do the same.  I'd actually rather have an AI that could do the same thing I do as a tribal, as a giant snowball of barbarians was in keeping the threats of the era.  Instead, the AI just seems to sit there and do nothing.  Rome's AI is ok, it acts in a fairly Romey way.  But overall it just doesn't seem aggressive enough.

Also wasn't a fan of all the post victory executions; I'd rather not have to adopt them as new politicians most of the time (unless they are pretty great; I found bloating your politics with foreign cultures can cause minor problems later; I assume if I had built more theaters and culture related buildings that would reduce as they convert to Roman culture) but don't want to murder them either.

Don't you get the option to banish them instead for that sweet sweet reduction in Aggressive Expansion?

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 23, 2021, 04:16:33 pm »

I'd rather they fix it. IMO colonisation is way too powerful. You can take over enormous chunks of land (And resources and pops) using it. Migratory tribes are even worse because with enough stability you can increase your population massively since migrating converts all pops in the territory into your culture/religion (Unless the latest update changed that, I haven't played it for a couple months) which allows you to settle more land, and then uproot them to get even more pops.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 23, 2021, 09:01:18 pm »

If the AI could do even some of that, even if just as a Migratory Tribe, it would be awesome.  Even in a mod, which might be more realistic.  I think the map should be mostly "filled" at the End Year.

But yeah, its totally broken now.  Too bad its great fun for the player.  :P

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 26, 2021, 07:04:44 am »

So Fields of Glory: Empires is now discounted in Steam. People who like Imperator might be interested in having a look.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 26, 2021, 10:40:23 pm »

So Fields of Glory: Empires is now discounted in Steam. People who like Imperator might be interested in having a look.

Never heard of it.  What's it about?

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 27, 2021, 04:55:04 am »

Never heard of it.  What's it about?

It is basically a grand strategy game taking place in the same time period as Imperator. There are three important differences: 1) if you buy Fields of Glory II you can combine the two games and play tactical battles that take place in the strategic game, 2) the game contains a decadence mechanic which means empires tend to stagnate and fall, making painting the map a lot harder prospect, 3) several nations have unique mechanics giving them more character than in Imperator. 

Honestly, the whole decadence thing is the main selling point for me, since most strategy games become boring when you blob, but in FoG: Empires blobbing can actually cause your downfall.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 02, 2021, 01:28:56 pm »

With the new update, military expansion as a small tribe is now impossible without allies or mercs.

You need a minimum of 2000 troops to siege a fort, everyone has at least one fort. If you're small the most troops you can rally is 2000, and they have a few months of food. You can't recruit cohorts because tribes aren't allowed to do that.

As a result, your food runs out while the odds of succeeding on the siege sits in the negatives, and your troop numbers drop below 2000 on account of them starving.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 02, 2021, 05:58:33 pm »

Well, the clans can still recruit, and if I use migration exploits, I can have a tribe that blots out the Sun.  The resulting clans can probably take on smallish kingdoms.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 03, 2021, 12:18:28 pm »

Using greater earth map. By default it only has one single province owned by Rome. I added everyone to it. Also spent 2 hours changing 100% fur on earth to half grain (maybe too much still) and other half is all the other resources

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2413614996

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2413615436

The world is also a broken shattered style world, provinces and nations scattered everywhere.

The mod has 16023 provinces. I can't with the time I have, fix the nations to consolidate the provinces in the proper areas (like egypt only in egypt). Thats too much for one person who has a lot of other stuff going on and other games to play. But I made the mod a ton more playable.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 04, 2021, 05:16:25 am »

So, how are civil wars calculated? I have no disloyal characters or provinces, and I'm ticking down to a civil war anyways which makes no sense.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 05, 2021, 06:03:24 am »

If you hover over the civil war icon, it should tell you exactly why. It's possible a scorned family is causing the issue - not enough positions of power, and the whole family steadily becomes more disloyal. If they control enough of the empire's powerbase, it can still lead to civil war.

My hilariously game-y way of dealing with this is to assign bungling heirs as admirals of fleet(s) of 1 ship each and let them hang out in port until they die of old age. It allows me to assign actually competent people to useful positions.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 13, 2024, 01:54:56 am »

This game has received an update.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/859580/discussions/0/4358996214438789472/

And also a second one.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/859580/discussions/0/7845908402041401038/

So, I complained about this game as not being up to it's contemporaries in Stellaris or Crusader Kings 2.5. However, right after that there was a final patch that improved quite a lot of problems. After that development ceased because it already had a bad reputation. However there was a mod called Invictus that has kept the game alive by essentially picking up development in mostly the same direction. It's a solid game with Invictus mod. One bad part imo is that development ceased at a time when Paradox games were designed to have some sort of highly limited resource like "political influence" in Stellaris used to be where the whole game is waiting for that one resource to crawl up at .15 points per month so you can do much of anything. Imperator still maintains that period of Paradox mechanics and to me that's the biggest f'n grind in this game because everything uses it and sometimes in amounts that take a game decade to accumulate while also having to use it for 8 other high priority reasons like setting governor policies to avoid loyalty loss for 6 months to a year of income of this resource, on your many individual governors, and each and every time they have a successor. I really wish that one in particular was set to the province rather than the governor character, because building crucial cities costs oodles of the same damn resource. Plus it can be used to fuel income on Stability for 5 years, and that's what limits tribal migrations to convert pops instantly and spread the blob to unclaimed territories for free land and pops easy. Otherwise, except for that single resource being a big limiter for a diverse amount of reasons, it's enjoyable.

Also, here's part of the expanded map from Invictus mod. It adds some culture groups and many small cultures that even have a paragraph or two of description in their tooltip:

In the base game I did tribals with the baltic culture (where Aestia is in the image). The tribal culture I started as (Black Hoods? I think, it shared the culture group of the baltic cultures, Aestinian or something) has as it's cultural bonus a +2% or +5% attrition penalty in it's lands This and a similar ability granted by a state deity would be the best option due to tribal hindrances against a techhed up Rome-blob with a war goal directly on me, this tribal can get I think around 10% baseline monthly attrition in ideal conditions with those two but it might be lower. and can retreat slightly faster, so the 500 size cavalry units that are faster and can't be merged with other levies as tribals can retreat before being wiped when I made that mistake. The 500 light cavalry levies are great for pillaging Rome though.

I do enjoy the migration for tribals even though it's very micromanagement intensive and I wish I could automate it so that when a county has enough pop it migrates automatically, resettles with 1 or two (depending if the county is currently producing same culture and religion population since if it is not currently producing same culture/religion pop then 2 same culture/religion pops are required to be settled for the NEXT pop produced after the current one to be same culture/religion as the owner of the county). It basically nullifies the culture and religious difference penalties for tribals once you know how to use it as cheaply as possible to avoid revolts and demote pesky upper class pops down to tribal class pops of the same culture and religion. I'd probably need to use a time limit extender (which Invictus has as a submod) to civilize to a Republic or Empire since the centralization-thingy in this game goes from -100% to 100% and just plain crawls increasing from -100% as some of the centralizing laws are blocked by a minimum  level of centralized in the +20% to +40% range or somewhere around there. At -100% centralized the Stability cost for a tribal migration is only 5% though, which is outstanding since that's maybe 10 months of waiting in between and I can keep Stability floored due to having used migration conversion making those penalties surmountable. It's doable unless I'm trying to expand by fighting a war which requires a minimum of 20% stability to start. The biggest headache I had with migrations was when barbarians settle a land I pulled the population from for migrations and outnumbered the same culture/religion for long enough to tank the province loyalty, at which point you can't use migration there to convert all the pops dropped off when barbarians pillage from the impassable barbarian stronghold "counties" and you are likely going to a civil war or revolt that usually is wider spread than the province that causes it. To prevent that I'd try to keep more pops there in those provinces than normal and leave the governor on conversion tasks, and keep a province to re-raise a migration from after moving up to 11 same culture/religion pops and 10 of the differing pops there, that is the limit for a single migration and will leave a single pop behind (usually but not always the same culture/religion) ; less than 21+ pop counties can be raised but it leaves the county unclaimed with 0 pops and destroys any buildings, I'm not sure if other things are lost on unclaimed status but I didn't notice any offhand so I still use no-building provinces for less migrations from counties with less than 21 pops. That way only corrupt or inept governors cause the civil war threat, and provinces stay loyal enough to raise non-conforming pops into a migration to the wilderness or later to the cities finally being constructed once all the unclaimed land has been migrated onto.

In the game the screenshot is from, I allied to the Scythians early on to prevent them from invading me as I migrated into blob-form. They fought a few wars with Izygia and helped me seize some land in that direction in a defensive war IIRC, but also was usually allied to them against Alania. I fought few aggressive wars, most of the territory is from settling unclaimed land and converting the locals with migrations to send to next unclaimed province once Stability creeps up to 5% for a migration. I sent migrations out to unclaimed land in other places (it's how I managed to have elephants) as far as Gaul, Africa, Yemen, a few passes in the Himalayas, and even a county or two depopulated by the ceaseless civil wars in what used to be the Maurya Empire in India. These usually revolt away due to distance and my appalling level of Stability, but if I win the war they become some type of Vassal relationship if I remember correctly, and that's something Tribals otherwise struggle with as they can't do much of that without some tech innovations if I understand it correctly. Anyways though, those little tributaries have a military guarantee, but Rome doesn't care and likes to invade them anyways. That allows me to send small, fast groups of raiders into Italy or to try to grind down their manpower pool with attrition if they try to take some land, but I wasn't that lucky in that game and they usually beelined the tributary with a deathstack of legions to get the warscore without having to go on 8% to 10% baseline attrition before factoring in mountain pass fortress sieges, and so I hired some mercenaries to run into their stacks rather than risk my own manpower pool in a head on fight against legions since they probably have better logistics than I do as a tribal and I'd be the one taking heavier attrition. Finally, as a tribal you can outright seize counties in a unique way by raising a migration wave prior to declaring war. During the war you can settle an opponents' occupied counties and seize them for an instant flip to your control, no war resolution requried. I did that a bit but since the wars were defensive I didn't have a bunch of resources pooled to do a big wave of pops seizing a whole province at a time from Rome and had to utilize pops already on migration at the time of the war declaration.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 03:38:15 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 13, 2024, 03:14:25 pm »

Amazing. I do love this particular Paradox title.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 13, 2024, 03:29:23 pm »

Yeah, Paradox's mana system's always been a pain in the dick. Wish they'd never had that period.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]